Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #331
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby

We must be on the same Galloway calendar! My next one is a 10k on 3/9 and a Half on 3/30. I haven't signed up for anything after that, but probably will tackle another 5k in May before the big Italy trip. If the March Half goes well, I just may hit up one or two more before the W&D.
Hi ladies!

Do you like the Galloway training? I really want to train and register for the wine and dine half marathon. I'm new to running, I keep reading his running program on the runDisney site, but I just don't get it?? Really I'm a smart person but I must have a mental block for running. It must be a sign though, I was just rereading his program this morning and now it's mentioned in this thread! Thanks for any advise!

Melinda
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #332
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

That's me right now. I just finished my first level 2 workout. And I thought that I had gained strength... I was feeling like the total beginner... Well not with everything, but with most. So far the cardio part was when I could relax as I had quite a bit of endurance thanks to my running. The cardio nearly killed me today!!! The worst thing was that the moves needed so much coordination that I lacked and because I kept toppling over I feel like I did not work out hard enough. Well, I guess the workout wasn't too bad since I am rather drenched - waiting to cool down before I hit the shower.

Hey, but I feel great now for not giving up! Looking forward to day 2 of level 2 tomorrow!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2010 TR 2010 PTR 2011 TR Dining Reviews:2009 2008 2007
From the Sea to the World - Spring 2013 Trip Report - DCL and WDW
Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #333
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Happy Valentines Day!!

This day also marks the end of the first half of February! For me it is also the day when I will try level 2 of the 30 Day Shred for the first time. I am a bit scared as I don't know which exercises will be waiting for me. But I am excited to progress to new challenges. I am still very much in love with this programm. It is so easy to fit in 30 minutes of exercise in front of my TV and I love the mixture of strength, cardio and abs. I already ordered Ripped in 30 to start that once I am done with the 30 Day Shred. And I am planning on using these workouts in the future as cross training from my running. Unfortunately due to weather and also tiredness from the 30DS I haven't been running for quite some time. Might try to fit a run in this weekend. Just hope it won't start snowing again...

While the scale still hates me, I was pleasantly surprised when a pair of trousers which I barely fit in before Christmas and hadn't tried on since, fits tightly, but comfortable enough to be worn! I love NSVs!!

This is what counts.

On to the question of the day:

QOTD:
Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, so the lent has started which is a period of fasting and abstinence. While that is different from weight loss it is in a way similar. Many people take the idea of lent - whether in its religous context or totally seperate from that - to consciously abstain from something, be it food or anything else, maybe even something intangible. Have you ever consciously decided to do without something for a certain amount of time just for the experience of it - whether for lent or for any other reason?
I tried giving up sugar for awhile when I was a teenager. All I remember was people giving me so much trouble about it I finally just gave up. My stepmom gave me the worst guilt trip ever when I wouldn't eat some of her mom's strawberry shortcake.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

Old 02-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #334
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

[COLOR="blue"]QOTD:
Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, so the lent has started which is a period of fasting and abstinence. While that is different from weight loss it is in a way similar. Many people take the idea of lent - whether in its religous context or totally seperate from that - to consciously abstain from something, be it food or anything else, maybe even something intangible. Have you ever consciously decided to do without something for a certain amount of time just for the experience of it - whether for lent or for any other reason?

I once became vegetarian for 6 months, The guy I was seing at the time was a veggie, so I gave it a try. It was quite easy for me as I'm not a big meat eater anyway, but eventually I gave in to bacon!!! (We split after that, but not because of the bacon!)

My time as a veggie really opened my eyes about what else was out there - I don't like tofu, but can now do quite a lot with beans and lentils, and also try lots of other veggies. DH and I have a veggie day a couple of times a week now...in fact today was one of them. We had butternut squash risotto for dinner tonight, followed by a fresh fruit salad and fat free yoghurt. It was lovely,
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #335
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
Hi ladies!

Do you like the Galloway training? I really want to train and register for the wine and dine half marathon. I'm new to running, I keep reading his running program on the runDisney site, but I just don't get it?? Really I'm a smart person but I must have a mental block for running. It must be a sign though, I was just rereading his program this morning and now it's mentioned in this thread! Thanks for any advise!

Melinda
I do! I love the fact that I can get in great running shape running 3 days (yes 3!) a week. I am a prime candidate for overtraining when I'm preparing for a run, and always end up getting sick just prior to race day . I just wear myself down so much the germs send out a "full steam ahead" attack! I haven't found that to be the case by sticking with the Galloway schedule. The non-run days has me at yoga, on my elliptical, walking, or just resting. Sometimes my race schedule or trips throw a little wrinkle into things, but I just move a few workouts around and for the most part, stay right on track. I'm always happy to help you set up a schedule if you like.

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #336
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
Pamela~if you know the shoes you want & the size, don't forget about Running Warehouse online. I order from them & use the WISH code for 15% (I think) off. I've gotten my running shoes from running warehouse for $65 when our running store had them for $110!! Plus, theres free 2 or 3 day shipping and its easy to return if needed. Just a thought to try to save you some $$

Jill
Great suggestion! I'll look into it! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
That I am really stubborn. That some things are really worth the hard work. That I am entitled to my feelings no matter what they are, but that there is really no reason to eat my way through those feelings. And that people will help you and support you if you let them--and along with that, it is pretty awesome to cheer on others as well.

So today I ran for 32 minutes (not very fast). Then I went to pt and had to warm up on the elliptical for 10 minutes--and I did not like their elliptical! She had me work on exercises to strengthen my core (including planks and bridges ) and worked on getting rid of the tightness in my back. My piriformis does not feel great today, but I am much more "moveable"--not so stiff, and that feels great! My homework--breathing, pelvic tilt, bridges, and moving cat. I will probably start adding in a little bit of plank too.

Pamela asked about the breathing--it is diaphragmatic breathing--in through the nose, out through pursed lips. Your chest should not rise, only your stomach. They actually have me practice by laying with one hand on my chest and one on my stomach. I am really bad at it. My understanding--it is the foundation of core stability. It is almost comical how bad I am at doing it.

Thanks for letting me ramble on about this.
How does this effect your back pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Happy Valentines Day!!

QOTD:
Over the past 5 years on this journey I have slowly given up more and more unhealthy and "trigger" foods....in some cases for good (most cured meats, regular potato chips, French fries, most white carbs). Some things I reserve for special meals and vacation (beer, wine, margaritas, ice cream, pasta).

Evening all! Happy Valentine's Day!

I was working in Kindergarten today, so I got to enjoy two Valentine parties! But I didn't eat, despite all of the tempting treats....Krispy treats, homemade cookies, cupcakes, Chex mix.

I made homemade low carb chocolate covered strawberries for DH for a special treat for today. They came out great! Gave each of the kids an IOU for a special date with Mom and some shopping in the near future. Trying to stay away from food treats and rewards, but I did give them each a tiny bag of Lindt truffles.

Did my TM hour and plank tonight...just reminds me how much I hate evening exercise. But I couldn't get up early and hit the TM at home as the kids slept in my room last night when DH was gone.

Not scheduled to work tomorrow yet, but I said I would if they need me.

Hopefully I'll be able to pop on I'm the morning to say hello, but for noe I'll say g'night. DD swim for 20 more minutes and then we do the one hour trek home. By the time I shower and have a cup of tea it will be 11pm! ..........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #337
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
]I once became vegetarian for 6 months, The guy I was seing at the time was a veggie, so I gave it a try. It was quite easy for me as I'm not a big meat eater anyway, but eventually I gave in to bacon!!! (We split after that, but not because of the bacon!)

My time as a veggie really opened my eyes about what else was out there - I don't like tofu, but can now do quite a lot with beans and lentils, and also try lots of other veggies. DH and I have a veggie day a couple of times a week now...in fact today was one of them. We had butternut squash risotto for dinner tonight, followed by a fresh fruit salad and fat free yoghurt. It was lovely,
Almost every ex veggie I know lost it for bacon. There's one lady told me the Costco hot dogs we're what broke her.; Your dinner sounds so good.

Was really proud of myself today, did weights yesterday and my pt exercises so that all I had to do today was the elliptical and I ended up hardly having time to do that so it worked pretty good. Also rode my bike to work. It's finally not freezing and foggy so I can ride home at night!
Got a new coffee maker today. Mine broke this AM and I insisted on my husband at least getting me a red one lol. So I found one on sale at Fred Meyer and so far I love it. There's the annual nominated animated shorts at the local art theater I saw this week so I hope I lose at least a pound tomorrow....
Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #338
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Good Friday morning and hello! I am Jill, your coach for this week

A little about myself~This is my 5th season of challenges here on the WISH. I love the support and great ideas everyone shares. I am 36 and a teacher of history (and all special ed) at a private alternative school for 5th-12th grades. I am married with 2 DSs (9 & 6) and we live in western PA. I am struggling to lose the last 10 pounds I need to loose, but I'm chugging along.

I am going to post the QOTD and then come back for replies.

QOTD Friday, February 15
If you could design your own home gym, what equipment would be a necessity to have? Or, if you already have a home gym, what equipment do you have and what do you use the most?

Jill
Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #339
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Quote:

QOTD Friday, February 15
If you could design your own home gym, what equipment would be a necessity to have? Or, if you already have a home gym, what equipment do you have and what do you use the most?

Jill
Morning

This is a hard one for me as I hate the gym. (A pool would be good as I love swimming, but no chance of that in the UK!!) I get most of my exercise from walking, so maybe a treadmill would be my best option. And maybe some free weights to help tighten my bingo wings (Hope you US guys know what these are!!). Definitely no mirrors for me though...don't want to watch myself exercising as I'm sure it isn't pretty!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #340
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!

I loved all your answers about having given up something yesterday. I am full of respect of those of you who have been able to give up something unhealthy permanently.

To answer my own question, I actually once tried fasting for a whole week - as in not eat any food at all. I was allowed vegetable broth and one glass of joice per day. That was during college when I had great success in losing lots of weight and I just wanted to try it out for myself. There are people who claim that this great to clean your body (to be honest, I am not sure about this and it seems to be heavily debated scientifically), but it was a great experience to see that I was able to do what I had set my mind to.

Today is a good day - I am sore from the 30 Day Shred, but not as much as expected. And am looking forward to trying it again tonight. But the best thing is that the scale finally decided to be nice to me again. Just in time for this weeks weigh in!

Hope all of you have a great weigh in!!

QOTD for Friday:

That's an interesting question, Jill! I would definitely have a treadmill, a large mirror so that I can control my form when I am doing exercises and a few more weights of different sizes. Oh, and I love Eliza's idea of a pool! But it would have to be at least a 25m pool!! Not sure how I ever could fit that into my home gym.

So far my "home gym" consists of a yoga mat and two 1.5kg weights.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #341
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Thank you so much, Magdalene, for coaching this week! You did a great job!
Thank you, I really enjoyed coaching!

I think I will sign up for another week of coaching before I leave on vacation. So, Pamela and Rose, do you already know when you will need someone to coach in March or April?

And I decided that I would sign up as hostess for the June challenge. According to the first post that month is still available. I will be back from my trip mid May and I think committing to hosting the challenge shortly afterwards will make sure that I get back on track immediately!

Getting involved in these threads instead of just lurking really made a huge difference for me! So all your lurkers out there: Start posting, we would love to hear from you!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #342
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Good Friday morning and hello! I am Jill, your coach for this week

Thanks for being here for us!

A little about myself~This is my 5th season of challenges here on the WISH. I love the support and great ideas everyone shares. I am 36 and a teacher of history (and all special ed) at a private alternative school for 5th-12th grades. I am married with 2 DSs (9 & 6) and we live in western PA. I am struggling to lose the last 10 pounds I need to loose, but I'm chugging along.

You will get there!
I am going to post the QOTD and then come back for replies.

QOTD Friday, February 15

Jill

First of all, great question!

We do have some home gym equipment, but it is spread around the house. In the basement is a totally unused weight set that DH bought and used for about 8 weeks 5+ years ago. I might try to resurrect it at some point in the future, but I pushed it off to the side and gave the room to DS for a Lego room a few years ago, so it just gathers dust for now.

I have a TM that I bought many moons ago and it is still going strong! It has definitely gone through periods of less use and more use, but I am pretty proud to say that overall it is used fairly regularly (unless it is nice out and I am exercising outside). The TM is in my bedroom. When I bought it I didn't want the "out of sight, out of mind" excuse, plus I needed to be near the kids and near the tv. I also have an exercise ball and 3 sets of handweights (10 lb, 5 lb, 3 lb) that I use in my bedroom (my room is very large). I also have a small collection of exercise DVDs that haven't been used in a while.... JM 30 Day Shred, several WATP videos, DWTS exercise DVD, and a few very old VHS exercise tapes.

In the garage I have two mini-tramps that really need to be gone, as they never get used.

It would be really nice to have everything all together in one easy to use place (maybe the playroom that no one uses any more?), but for now it will stay where it all is.

For DD's sake I really wish we had a lap pool!

I'm at work and the kids are here.... I'm out of time! TTYL..........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #343
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Quote:
QOTD Friday, February 15

Jill
Oh this is an easy one. First of all, pretending for just a moment that $ was no object , I would install a PERSONAL TRAINER! Having someone on my case to push just little bit harder would be great! Back to reality though, a treadmill would definitely be the first thing, along with a full set of free weights and a really good multi-use weight machine - one that would work out every body part. I had a Bowflex a couple of years ago, and it started out great, but those rods wore out in no time and lost their resistance. Talk about a colassal waste of money!

I have various pieces of workout stuff: ab ball, bands, 5lb hand weights, elliptical, and a ton of DVD's that I never use. I just can't seem to find the motivation to work out to a DVD at home. Plus I just don't have a good place to work out to one. We're building an outdoor tiki bar area complete with a tv, so maybe being able to work out in my back yard (basically) will be more inspiring .

On a side note, for the 3rd week in a row, I haven't lost and ounce! I am so right now, it's difficult to not let it get to me. Any encouragement you ladies can send my way today will be GREATLY appreciated!!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #344
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby

I do! I love the fact that I can get in great running shape running 3 days (yes 3!) a week. I am a prime candidate for overtraining when I'm preparing for a run, and always end up getting sick just prior to race day . I just wear myself down so much the germs send out a "full steam ahead" attack! I haven't found that to be the case by sticking with the Galloway schedule. The non-run days has me at yoga, on my elliptical, walking, or just resting. Sometimes my race schedule or trips throw a little wrinkle into things, but I just move a few workouts around and for the most part, stay right on track. I'm always happy to help you set up a schedule if you like.
Thanks for the offer Plutobaby!! I'm sure ill pick your brain come late April - hopefully it will warm up enough to start running. I have a 5K colorvibe run booked for 4/20, so I thought 4/27 would be a good day to start. I'm very nervous..... I did the C25k last Aug/Sept and never really made it past week 3. You running ladies ( especially those if you in your 40's ) are a real inspiration to me!!

Thanks
Melinda
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #345
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Missed my plank yesterday, first day I've missed all month. My back is killing me and I tweaked my knee trying to get across the school parking lot. I hate it when I get moving and then have a set back. I'm also fighting a wicked migraine today.
I have a chiro appt for this afternoon, hopefully it will help.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: