Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #76
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
I never made it over to AoA this past trip, so I LOVE seeing all of your pictures of the lobby. It is gorgeous! It does look like the same basic set-up as POP in terms of layout of the resort. Makes sense since they used some of the buildings that were started for what was supposed to be the other half of POP, but became AoA.
Oh, you HAVE to find the time to check out AoA. I can't believe you were so close and did not cross the bridge. You really missed out. I guess that's what next time is for then. Yes, the building for the lobby and food court was already built, that's why it looks so much like POP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
AoA just looks so lively and fun! Thanks for all the pictures!
It is a very lively and fun resort indeed. Good thing you like the pictures, because I have 4 more updates of AoA pictures coming up! Yes, I took that many. I couldn't help it, there are just too many things to photograph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyNancy View Post
That Cinderella's Castle gingerbread house is amazing!
I know! It totally should have won first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
The AoA looks so bright and colorful! I'd love to stay in the suites there someday.
It is bright and colorful and a lot of fun! I hope you get the chance to try the suite one day, they look amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post
This looks like such a fabulous lobby! I had no idea that the sketches get more finished as you move along; very cool! And that chandelier is gorgeous, as are the Christmas decorations.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get to stay here next time like I wanted to. We'd have to get a suite, and it seems the discounts aren't that great lately. We're hoping to wait a year and see if the "new" wears off and the discounts get better. With a family of 5, our options are limited by space and what we can afford! Looks like POR for us with the murphy bed, then switching to CR for a few bonus nights. Now, if we can just find a way to pay for it all...

Secretly, I'm hoping that some fabulous offer for AoA is going to come out for the Fall. Here's hoping!
It is a wonderful lobby, and totally different from any other lobby.

I too hope that after the "new" wears off that they start coming out with better discounts for the family suites. We want to have a second kid, so with Otaku we will be 5 and we too will have limited options. Those family suites would be so perfect for your family! What section would you stay in if you could?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographymom517 View Post
Loved your pictures, Mel! It was really nice to see Art of Animation again!!! As I told you previously, I am very glad that I saved our tour of AoA for our last afternoon! Had I toured it prior to that, I KNOW I would've gone straight to the check-in desk at POR and told them to call Bell Services to pick up our bags!! I would've transferred my reservation over to AoA in a heart beat!!! It's so "Disney"!

My pictures from my trip are uploading to my photo program right now, but as soon as they're done, I will post some of the Food Court for your readers to see! We were there just three weeks before you, so it looked pretty much the same lol

I took pictures of the Gingerbread Houses too!!! Our pictures pretty much look identical! They didn't have winners to the contest yet when we were there though...they had a pencil & box for voting!
AoA really is the most "Disney" resort of all and I love it! I totally understand how you would have wanted to switch in a heartbeat.

I don't know what the heck the people who voted were thinking, but that castle should have won!!

Quote:
I hope you don't mind me posting these here. I'm not doing a TR myself, so I thought your readers might enjoy seeing. Unfortunately it was really crowded in the gift shop so we didn't spend much time there. I only have a couple pictures of it, but I have a ton of the food court!
Of course I don't mind! It's so awesome in there, I'm glad my readers get to see it. I'll probably put a link to your pictures in my table of content if that's okay with you.

ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #77
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel11 View Post
Count me in!!
Glad to have you join us.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #78
photographymom517
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
AoA really is the most "Disney" resort of all and I love it! I totally understand how you would have wanted to switch in a heartbeat.

I don't know what the heck the people who voted were thinking, but that castle should have won!!

Of course I don't mind! It's so awesome in there, I'm glad my readers get to see it. I'll probably put a link to your pictures in my table of content if that's okay with you.

I looked through my AoA pictures & I was right! When I was there, each house was numbered & a paper/pencil and voting box were sitting on the end of the table! I am still shocked that castle didn't win!!! The detail on it was amazing!

That's no problem at all! Please share a link on your Table of Contents! I have tons more I can add but wanted to see the rest of yours first!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #79
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We have never been to Pop, but that lobby looks absolutely fabulous at AOA. Mark is going to love it if we can get one or two nights there on his business trip in April.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #80
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I looked through my AoA pictures & I was right! When I was there, each house was numbered & a paper/pencil and voting box were sitting on the end of the table! I am still shocked that castle didn't win!!! The detail on it was amazing!

That's no problem at all! Please share a link on your Table of Contents! I have tons more I can add but wanted to see the rest of yours first!
I'm shocked too. I don't get it. Maybe they thought the castle did not look like a "house" enough?

I have 4 more AoA updates, so I have quite a bit of pictures. You can see after what I missed. All my pictures are at night though, I believe yours were taken during the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
We have never been to Pop, but that lobby looks absolutely fabulous at AOA. Mark is going to love it if we can get one or two nights there on his business trip in April.
POP is a fun resort, especially with all the memorabilia from the past 60 years. AoA is just phenomenal though. You have to find a way to stay there, it would fit so well with mark's fun personality.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #81
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Art of Animation Review part 2  Little Mermaid Room

Art of Animation has two different types of room. The family suites, which can sleep up to 6, can be found in the Cars, Finding Nemo, and Lion King sections. If you want a standard room you must stay in the Little Mermaid section, which is the farthest section. Im posting the map again, so you can see the distance. The Little Mermaid rooms are in the buildings 7, 8 and 9, on the right side of the map.

I didnt mind the walk because there is so much to look at, but I know Ron was bothered by it, mostly because we had to go back to the food court often to get hot water for the baby.

Our room had two double beds, and lots of Little Mermaid details.

This is the dresser. The drawers on the right are actually fake. Its a door and behind it is the mini-fridge.

We had called for a pack n play for Claudia to sleep in, but instead got a foldable crib. We placed it between the dresser and the sink area, in front of where a connecting door would have been.

At first we were happy to get a crib with a real mattress. Then we started noticing the flaws. The two main flaws were:
1. The mattress is much smaller than the crib, so there is a big gap in which the baby could fall. Its especially dangerous when you have a tiny little peanut like us. We tried placing towels, but it didnt work. We put some pillows instead, but I was quite worried she would just move over there, smooch her face in the pillow, and not be able to breathe.
2. The mattress was wobbly and had an angle. I guess thats what you get for having a mattress that folds in half, but it made it harder for Claudia to find a comfortable position to sleep, and not just roll over to one side.

On the other side of the dresser is a little table area.

There are some fake music sheets on the table.

Above the table is a mirror.

A coat hanger.

More details

There is a privacy curtain between the bedroom and the sink area. It helps keep the room dark while someone is using the sink/bathroom.

This is the sink area. In the mirror you can see the safe in the wall, which was quite small. It opens with a code (the one at Beach Club opened with a key. And you better not lose that key or youll pay a hefty fee).

I did not take any pictures of the actual bathroom, but its your standard toilet & tub. Here is the shower curtain.

This is the wall in the shower.

The ONLY thing I was disappointed about in terms of theming is the lack of hidden Mickeys. I only found this one, but at least its a full Mickey.

I also found what I think is a hidden Sebastian (shadow), but everyone else thinks its just kelp.

Apparently there is one more hidden Mickey. If you look above at the picture of the entire shower wall, there seems to be a HM to the left of the metal bar.

Thats it for the pictures. As for the room itself, we did find it small with a baby. We were so disorganized in that room. Part of it is because we did not take the time to organize (we were only there 2 nights), but it also was hard to find a place to set up our bottle washing station with there being just one sink. We also had no real area to change her diaper. We just did it on the floor or the bed. If we had had just two kids instead of a baby and all the extra gear that comes with it, we probably would have been fine.

Up Next, A Walking Tour of AoA

Last edited by ronnmel; 02-03-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #82
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

AoA just looks so awesome! Thanks for sharing all the pictures.
Pluto0809 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #83
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

The room is GORGEOUS!!! I love how much theming they did, with even the table top and shower walls being LM. A lot more theming than POP has.

I can certainly understand being concerned with that crib and mattress.

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR

PhoenixStrength is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #84
KatMark
DIS Veteran

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures of The Little Mermaid Room. I just called Mark and told them how adorable they are, but he wants to stay in a Nemo room. I told him those are only suites, so now he has decided he doesn't want to stay there. Can I just say the man will drive me nuts!!!!!

Since it's only two nights during his business trip and one park day, maybe we'll stay at Pop? I'll have to see what's available as I won't be able to book until March when he knows exactly when we are going.

Back to the photos...I just love ALL of the detail and the chairs are so cute.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #85
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Loving all the LM room details! It looks like Maddie's dream come true!

The walk does seem pretty long, I think it would be especially hard at the end of a park day.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #86
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning

Oh, I really love the theming in there!! I wish they had made some suites in the Little Mermaid theme instead of just the regular rooms.

We like the water--if we get to stay at AoA, we're going Nemo section all the way!

Since it's like Pop, I'm guessing that walk is about the same as going from the 80s/90s section to the food court, and yeah, that's a pretty annoying walk if you have to do it over and over. I'm glad we always pack our electric kettle for Pop in case we get a far away room! We don't have to fly, though, so that's probably not a possibility for you.

I'm excited about a walking tour! I know there will be a million amazing details on the outside, too.

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #87
hobbs6799
Earning My Ears

Subbing. i read your PTR and I guess I should go back and read the rest of your TRs...you just have a knack for bringing everything to life!!!.

My DD is 14 and is into anime and all thinks Japanese as well. She listens to J-Pop and K-Pop. I think she is more excited for the Japan Pavillion at Epcot than she is about ANYTHING at MK and she's never been. October will be here first trip.

She and DH are both recovering from the flu right now. I am so sorry you were so sick.....this flu is ROUGH!!!!

Beverly

hobbs6799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #88
Brook730
Mouseketeer

I'm in too that had to be rough being sick right before your trip. I read through your other TR's and loved them your family is so adorable and it seems like you guys always enjoy you're self's there. We are going in 28 days, It will be DDs 4th time going and this time we are taking my mother with us. she is in a wheelchair so it will be a challenge but totally worth it. I'm just hoping we can get a hotel room we still don't have one booked yet and wont be able to until we are about ten days out from our trip. I can't wait for more updates!!!!!
Brook730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #89
AvasMommy526
Mouseketeer

Wow, Art of Animation is so cool! The details! It's so Disney and colorful, I love it!
I totally understand what you mean about having a smaller hotel room with a baby though! When we went to the Bahamas, it was difficult washing cups and bottles and baby spoons, I kept having to go down to one of the restuarants and get dish soap, thankfully everyone was super nice and accomadating but it definitely wasn't the easiest. I love having at least a kitchenette. Plus then when she naps, where do you go ya know? We would push her P&P in the little hallway and hide on the bed till she fell asleep

One little tip with the hot water, run the coffee maker without coffee and you'll have just hot water, it works in a pinch

AvasMommy526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #90
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I love your AoA review! That's too bad about the crib mattress being too small, I would have just let the baby sleep with me on the bed! (Although I know that's a bad habit to get into!)

I love that shower area in the LM rooms, so pretty! I really hope I get to stay there again so I can explore the other areas!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: