Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #376
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Your first time on Dumbo??? Wow! Glad you enjoyed it so much
Yep, it took me that long to get on it. It just had too long lines before and we had no young kid with us, so it wasn't a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Yay for your first Dumbo ride! I'll bet that Ron will treasure those pics of his 3 girls on the ride.

I have to admit that I'm addicted to any of the puzzle games too. (Love Candy Crush Saga and Freecell). I think that it could have been worse-Otaku could have been on FB or texting or something. At least she's working her brain!

Kona or 'Ohana? For some reason I have the feeling it's Kona.
It was fun! Ron has another picture of his 3 girls that he cherishes way more, but we're not at that part of the trip yet.

I remember reading on the intro of your TR that you love puzzles, just like me. You are right, playing Solitaire is a better way to use technology than FB or texting. It's not like she was doing this all the time anyway, and after spending 30 minutes in line waiting for a train, we needed a break from talking to each other.

You got it right, it was Kona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809 View Post
Glad you liked your first ride on Dumbo! I rode it for the first time that I really remembered during my November trip. I know I rode it as a kid but don't really remember. I'm so glad they added the second spinner and the play area so the wait times are not as bad.

Claudia looks like the ride was putting her to sleep!

I agree that the MK tree is kind of boring. You would think they could do something more related to the park rather than the generic ornaments that are on it.
I never thought Dumbo would be so fun! I may have rode it as a very young kid, but I have no photographic evidence of it if that's the case. I'm really glad that they expanded it, I would have hated to wait in that long line.

I hadn't noticed she looked so sleepy until you pointed it out! You're right though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineB View Post
Wow -- 220 minutes posted for Space Mountain -- I've never seen that before! That's crazy. Anyway, I've really enjoyed reading your TR.
It was our first time seeing that long a wait as well. I agree, crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
LOVE the pictures of you three gals on Dumbo. I must say I am utterly surprised every time I read that someone had never ridden Dumbo. If we did not ride Dumbo at least one trip, I swear Mark would divorce me.

Sorry about the drizzle, but at least it didn't turn into a total rainout.

Cute picture of you in front of the MK!
Thanks. Well, you have to remember that it's only my third trip as an adult, and the times I went as a kid were 1 day trips. And Ron had only gone once as a teenager before. In those circumstances, waiting in a long line for what seems like such a small ride did not make much sense, we preferred to ride other things instead. Now that they have 2 Dumbos and that play area, I don't see us skipping it anymore.

We got lucky with the rain, we never encountered some of those Florida rainstorms.

ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #377
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer9977 View Post
I call my little one Princess Peanut. Gave her the nickname as a baby and still call her by it and she is almost 8.
That's cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer9977 View Post
Love all the updates and the pictures.

WOW!!! Those crowds are soooooo crazy!!! I hope to never experience that. I love Space Mountain and I would wait in the line but I wouldn't love it.

I go to Cedar Point in OH pretty much every year and it's normal to wait 3-5 hours for the big coasters so I am used to waiting forever to go on a 1-2 minute ride but I never love it.

I didn't realize that they closed Splash Mountain every Jan. That totally bums me out. We all LOVE that ride and this will be my last trip to Disney for a long time so I am so sad that I will not be able to ride it.

Anyway looking forward to the next update.
Thanks!

Really? You would get in line instead of trying to get a FP early in the day and do other rides with shorter lines in the middle of the day? (I don't mean that in a rude way, just confused/curious) We have a 6 Flags park here and waits of 2-3 hours for coasters (and even smaller rides) are common as well. I was used to waiting in those lines back when I was a teenager, but now that I've experience Disney with rope drop and FPs (they open at 11am so EVERYBODY shows up at opening, and their FP system costs money) I don't even go to that park anymore. I've been spoiled.

I'm sorry you won't be able to experience Splash Mountain next year. The only year it's stayed opened in January was 2012 and that was because BTM was being refurbed.

New update already posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
I love the photos of you guys in Dumbo! So great!! You guys look like your having so much fun!!
What a great first Dumbo ride!

The picture of Ron with his candy apples is awesome!!

I love your picture out the from of MK too! Looks so bright right there.
We did have lots of fun in Dumbo. Otaku and I were both pleasantly surprised!

Thanks. I agree, that's why I chose that picture for his intro photo.

Do you mean out the front (auto-correct can be annoying sometimes!)? PP cameras often seem to give brighter pictures than my camera. Which is to be expected, I only have a simple point & shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post
Great Dumbo shots! All of Ron's girls in one place--what a memory!

It certainly was a great memory and one that will for sure make it to the photobook.

They way you managed to arrange the rain cover makes it look like it was meant for the stroller! Obviously our rain cover situation did not work out that great, but I'm glad yours did !

We are lucky that Claudia is so tiny and has short legs, otherwise she would have kicked the cover right off with her feet. I'm guessing it would not have withstood heavier rain like you guys had though.

Does Ron get them to cut up his candy apples for him, or does he bite into them? I've never tried one because I'm honestly not sure how to eat them!

I asked him and he said that in the park he'll just bite into it. Most times though he buys them as snack to bring back home then uses a fork and knife to eat them. This year he actually used an apple corer and liked it even more!

'Ohana??

Nope, Kona! We have yet to try 'Ohana for dinner. I barely eat any meat, and Ron has found that his appetite is usually not as big in Disney due to the heat (when we travel in the summer), so we find it would not be worth our money yet. I'm sure we'll try it one day, but since we usually do only 4-5 ADRs per trip, it might take a while.

I tried on the Teva Mush sandals before our first trip, and they are pretty comfy! I ended up not getting them because I wasn't sure how I'd do with something between my toes for that long. I tried on Reefs, as well, and you're right about them not being as comfy. I wear Croc sandals, and I don't even think they make the kind I wear anymore! I'm going to be out of luck if something happens to these!
Other answers in TEAL above.

You guys seem to be out and about a lot at home, why don't you buy a pair of Teva Mush and try them a few times? Before going to Disney for our Disneymoon I wore my Tevas a lot over here to go on walks and such. Then in Disney I'd alternate days for my sneakers and sandals. I had read on the DIS about Croc Sandals that were really good, but when I checked out our Croc stores 2 years ago I never found that style and didn't like any of the other types of sandals they had. It's too bad they stopped doing those models.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #378
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

Oh wow that Kona steak made me homer drool big time!!!

cheekypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #379
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I'm sorry Claudia was fussy during dinner.

When I was pregnant we had said we would take her out a lot to get her used to being in restaurants and other public spaces, but we ended up not doing it much, so when she was tired she would fuss, but not sleep. Same thing happened last night when we had dinner with my family. Ron ended up leaving early with her and my dad drove me back.

We've never eaten at Kona for dinner (only breakfast) and that BREAD does look yummy. The sushi...not so much (although cute).

The BREAD tasted even yummier than it looked! You should try Kona for dinner one day. I'm not a fan of sushi at all, not matter how cute it looks.

We did the backstage area last year when leaving the MK during the parade...it sure was different.

It's not anything spectacular, but I'm always curious about stuff like that so I enjoyed walking through the backstage area.

Isn't the castle beautiful with the lights?

So so so pretty!

I don't think we've ever been in Merchants of Venus (perhaps because I am not a Stitch fan we've skipped it ).

There are plenty of stores I've never been to in Disney. It's understandable that you would skip that one if you are not a fan of Stitch. There isn't anything special in there besides lots of Stitch merchandise, and now lots of Agent P stuff as well.

Sorry that Otaku’s stomach was bothering her again and that you had to cut the evening short...hope this was the last of that for her sake.
I think that was the last time her stomach bothered her, or maybe once more. She's the one who got through the entire trip healthy (then missed 3 extra days of school after because then she was sick.

Other replies above in teal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
That bread does look yummy! I am not a fan of sushi, but the Caterpillar roll is cute! Too bad the dessert didn't live up to the Chocolate Wave, but at least you know you can skip it next trip.

I've never been backstage, so that must have been neat to see. I like the new castle show, but agree that the music for MM&Y was nicer. I hope Otaku's stomach didn't keep bugging her for too long!
The bread was so soft and fresh and I want to have some right now. That was the first time I saw sushi look this cute. Writing about the dessert tasting "store bought" made me want to make some myself, but my grocery store doesn't sell that mix anymore.

Yes, it was very neat to see a new area of MK, especially one that you so seldom get a chance to see. I'm sure I'll grow to love the new castle show, especially if the next few times I see it I have a better view and a better trip in general.

Otaku's stomach ache was gone by the next morning, and if my memory is right, it never came back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post
Stitch is one of our favorites, as well. I hate that they seem to be neglecting him!

Not that I needed a other reason to love your family, but yay for more Stitch love! That's why I would love to go to the Asian Disney parks, the love Stitch so much more over there. Their Tiki Room attraction has Stitch in it!!!!! It doesn't get any cooler than that.

Monster's Inc Laugh Floor is now an obsession of our kids'! We still haven't texted any jokes, though, most likely because my kids' jokes make absolutely no sense ! Like, "Why did the flower die in the Spring? Because it wanted candy!" HUH??

Kids' jokes can be so strange sometimes, which makes them even more hilarious. We texted a joke this time, but I forgot to include the code word so it wasn't used. I can't believe we had no interested in trying Monster's Inc Laugh Floor before our Disneymoon. We were missing out!

Sorry Otaku's stomach was hurting. Such a bummer.

Other than that, it sounds like a great evening!
It would have been nice to stay later at MK, but if anyone understood not feeling well and wanting to go back to the resort, it was me. Thankfully the stomach ache was short lived. Maybe a reaction to something she ate? We enjoyed our time together in the park. It was our first evening just the two of us, but certainly not our last!

Other replies above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
What does the bread taste like? I heard how wonderful Ohanas was, and I was not impressed at all. I could taste coconut which I am not a fan of.
The bread has a sweet flavor to it, but not overly sweet. I made the recipe at home and it's made with pineapples, but it's not overpowering. It comes with macadamia nut butter and the combination is just AMAZING! Otaku cannot wait to go back and eat the bread again (and so do we). We had hyped it up a lot before the trip, and it lived up to the hype for her.

I'm not a fan of coconut either. I LOVE the smell of coconut, but it reminds me too much of tanning oil/sunscreen so I can't eat it. It's like those soap-flavored gums they used to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica23535 View Post
I love Kona, we have eaten breakfast twice there but think it's time we tried dinner as Ron's steak looked great, and so did your dessert! I definitely agree with Otaku about ordering her own torte
You should totally try dinner at Kona! Ron still talks about that steak. Part of him wants to try something new, but the other part of him loves that steak too much. Unfortunately, the dessert looked better than it tasted. It wasn't bad by any means, but it tasted "store bought", which was disappointing.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #380
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
Oh wow that Kona steak made me homer drool big time!!!

You should totally try it! Ron still ranks it as one of his top steaks.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #381
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Loving the updates! You pics of Dumbo are awesome. So sweet. Wait until you and Claudia are both the ones trying to use the controls to go up and down. Hehe (rewind early Dec 2012 and this is what Zoey and I were doing!)

I really like the first pic with Claudia and Otaku on your last update. It's really pretty and sweet And the picture of Ron and grumpy Claudia! We've so been there, and honestly we never mind grumpy crying kids when we are out, it's hard and I think most people who have had kids or been around them enough know that.

Kona's food looks great! The sushi actually made me hungry It's on our short list for both breakfast and dinner now!
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #382
stinksmom
Friends are the family you choose....

I've been silently following your TR and I love all the pictures! I also love sushi but don't see it on Kona Cafe's menu. Do they have a separate sushi menu? My DD and I will be eating there Friday night before DH is able to meet us in DW. I thought I had sushi there last time we ate there (about 6 years ago!) but now I can't remember!

I can't wait to read more about your trip!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #383
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

Following along !

You guys have definitely had your share of challenges so far ! But you are all coping very nicely.

I'm taking my Granddaughter on her first Disney trip in May, she will be 15 months old and am very nervous .. but am expecting meltdowns and rough patches so hopefully we'll be able to get through them without too much trouble.

Looking forward to reading more about your trip ..

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Moodyzblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #384
AvasMommy526
Mouseketeer

I've been getting behind, opening our family business in a brand new building has been a looooooonngggg few weeks, well worth but I'm behind on my Dising!!

Love, love all the pics and Kona! Yummmmmm! We are doing breakfast there in May, I wish I could the bread in the morning too lol! Do you remember where you found the recipe for it, I would love to make it!

AvasMommy526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #385
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Looking at your pictures of Kona made me sad! I was thinking about booking that one for my October trip but DH shot it down. I sent him links to the restaurants I would eat at and had him tell me whether he wanted to eat there. Not sure why he didn't like Kona.

I looks like you had a fun time at MK. I love that park at night, it's such a different atmosphere. Wishes is now a must do for me after my last trip.
Pluto0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #386
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
Loving the updates! You pics of Dumbo are awesome. So sweet. Wait until you and Claudia are both the ones trying to use the controls to go up and down. Hehe (rewind early Dec 2012 and this is what Zoey and I were doing!)

I really like the first pic with Claudia and Otaku on your last update. It's really pretty and sweet And the picture of Ron and grumpy Claudia! We've so been there, and honestly we never mind grumpy crying kids when we are out, it's hard and I think most people who have had kids or been around them enough know that.

Kona's food looks great! The sushi actually made me hungry It's on our short list for both breakfast and dinner now!
Knowing me, I won't be the nice mom who lets her take over the control all the time, I'll want my turn as well!

You could tell that my brother doesn't have kids yet, he was so nervous about the fact that Claudia was crying at the restaurant last Friday night! I'm more understanding of other parents now that I have a baby of my own, that's for sure!

Ron really wants to try Kona for breakfast next, but doesn't want to give up dinner. We might have to go twice in one trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinksmom View Post
I've been silently following your TR and I love all the pictures! I also love sushi but don't see it on Kona Cafe's menu. Do they have a separate sushi menu? My DD and I will be eating there Friday night before DH is able to meet us in DW. I thought I had sushi there last time we ate there (about 6 years ago!) but now I can't remember!

I can't wait to read more about your trip!
I'm glad you decided to post!

Kona has a sushi bar, which you can go eat at without an ADR. It has a separate menu, but you can order from that menu when eating in the main dining room. Here's the link:
Kona Sushi Menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
Following along !

You guys have definitely had your share of challenges so far ! But you are all coping very nicely.

I'm taking my Granddaughter on her first Disney trip in May, she will be 15 months old and am very nervous .. but am expecting meltdowns and rough patches so hopefully we'll be able to get through them without too much trouble.

Looking forward to reading more about your trip ..
Going through so many challenges while being at Disney sure beats braving a snowstorm at home, so we were determined to make the best of it.

Going to Disney with your grandaughter, how exciting! Planning well is very important, and so is being ready to change such plans at a moment's notice when traveling with young kids, but I'm sure you'll have a great time! Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommy526 View Post
I've been getting behind, opening our family business in a brand new building has been a looooooonngggg few weeks, well worth but I'm behind on my Dising!!

Love, love all the pics and Kona! Yummmmmm! We are doing breakfast there in May, I wish I could the bread in the morning too lol! Do you remember where you found the recipe for it, I would love to make it!
Congratulations on moving the business to a new place. That must be exciting, but tiring!

I can't wait to read about your breakfast at Kona experience. Here's the link to the recipe:
Kona Bread

Good luck making it and let me know how it turns out! This is actually one of my regrets with my mom. I made the bread for Christmas 2011. She loved it and asked me to make it again. I really wanted to grant her this wish, but I hate cooking and never got around to doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809 View Post
Looking at your pictures of Kona made me sad! I was thinking about booking that one for my October trip but DH shot it down. I sent him links to the restaurants I would eat at and had him tell me whether he wanted to eat there. Not sure why he didn't like Kona.

I looks like you had a fun time at MK. I love that park at night, it's such a different atmosphere. Wishes is now a must do for me after my last trip.
Awww, that's sad that your DH doesn't want to eat at Kona. Maybe try again later by showing him food pictures instead of the menu? Or just casually describe items you think he'll like, without mentioning where they are until he asks?

We had more fun that night at MK than we did during the day, but it wasn't the *best* time. I usually love Wishes, but it was my second not-so-amazing experience that trip. It was good, don't get me wrong, but not having the best view and not having Ron with us put a little damper on the whole experience.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #387
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Day 5 part 1 - The One Where Otaku Surprises Herself

This morning we managed to get up early enough to catch rope drop. I even had time to have a little fun with Peanut before getting ready.

It helped that rope drop was at nearby Epcot. We had to wait about 5 minutes before they let us in at 9am on the dot.

We walked with the masses through an empty World Showcase.

Can you spot them in this picture?

As you may have noticed, it was a wet and cold morning.

It was drizzling again, like the night before. Therefore, Test Track was down for the moment. Boo! Change of plan, Ron went to get Soarin FPs instead...

...While we continued our walk through Future World. Im a bit obsessed with Epcot monorail photos.

We shopped in Mousegear while waiting for Ron to come back.

Hidden Mickey

Here it is zoomed in.

Always look up.

Baby stuff. I particularly like the sleeping Baby Minnie and Baby Mickey.

Otaku, the non-princess girl, surprised even herself with this next thing. She fell in love with some Princess shirts!!! But thats not all. She turned around, saw these, and fell in love even more!!!

Once Ron came back we crossed over to Innoventions. We made an alarm go off here. You had to press 6 different buttons at the exact same time to overload the system.

Here you can check stuff with a microscope camera and it shows up on a big screen.

Those were obviously not the reason why we were in Innoventions during such a prime hour. We had a more THRILLING reason.

Last edited by ronnmel; 03-23-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #388
monica23535
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
Day 5 part 1 – The One Where Otaku Surprises Herself

This morning we managed to get up early enough to catch rope drop. I even had time to have a little fun with Peanut before getting ready.

It helped that rope drop was at nearby Epcot. We had to wait about 5 minutes before they let us in at 9am on the dot.

We walked with the masses through an empty World Showcase.

Can you spot them in this picture?

As you may have noticed, it was a wet and cold morning.

It was drizzling again, like the night before. Therefore, Test Track was down for the moment. Boo! Change of plan, Ron went to get Soarin FPs instead...

...While we continued our walk through Future World. I’m a bit obsessed with Epcot monorail photos.

We shopped in Mousegear while waiting for Ron to come back.

Hidden Mickey

Here it is zoomed in.

Always look up.

Baby stuff. I particularly like the sleeping Baby Minnie and Baby Mickey.

Otaku, the non-princess girl, surprised even herself with this next thing. She fell in love with some Princess shirts!!! But that’s not all. She turned around, saw these, and fell in love even more!!!

Once Ron came back we crossed over to Innoventions. We made an alarm go off here. You had to press 6 different buttons at the exact same time to overload the system.

Here you can check stuff with a microscope camera and it shows up on a big screen.

Those were obviously not the reason why we were in Innoventions during such a prime hour. We had a more THRILLING reason.
Great UK and Canada pictures!

I must admit that we haven't spent a lot of time in Innoventions, we keep saying that we will but then never do lol

I love the sleeping Mickey and Minnie too, In fact, I bought the Mickey for my friends baby and he can't seem to sleep without it
Polynesian CL, DCL Dream & Beach Club Oct 2012

monica23535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #389
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Those pictures of World Showcase with no people are awesome!

I had no idea they closed TT when it rained. I've had amazing luck with no rain at Disney. As a matter of fact, the last four trips I took have had less that an hour of rain combined.

I love all of the details in Mousegears. Although I'm not sure I'd want to be a CM in the last room with the ticking noise. It was starting to annoy me and I was only there for a few minutes!

One of these days I'm going to actually go in Innovations and try some of the stuff. I haven't even been in that side of Innovations. Mom and I did walk through the other side to get to the Visa Picture Place but that was it.
Pluto0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #390
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I love that Otaku ended up liking some princess stuff! It's the Disney Magic I swear!

Popping into Epcot through that back entrance is the main draw for those resorts for me. What an easy way to start the day!
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: