Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
pocomom
Brr.....

Where could I post a part-time job?

Wondering if someone knows where I could post a very part- time job. Monster is several hundred dollars to post and overkill for what I need. I don't need to be sifting through hundreds of resumes when I am trying to have less to do! In my personal experience Craigslist here is creepy and ineffective. I can't post on Facebook/local paper because I have a very sensitive friend that will want her daughter to do it, but we've hired the kid before and she doesn't have a good work ethic. I would just rather avoid the inevitable discussions and hurt feelings; also for some reason all the teenagers around here think texting and how you should communicate in a business email are the same So I need to find someone older or who at least has communication skills I can handle . Are there any reputable websites that specalize in part-time positions/projects?

Last edited by pocomom; 04-29-2013 at 07:23 PM.
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I think most jobs of that nature are posted on Craigslist these days.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
I think most jobs of that nature are posted on Craigslist these days.
That's what I was worried about... I tried to post a yard work job there once and a guy said he would do it, and then later on in talking about details he told me he would do it for free... as long as I would boss him around, and he wanted to rub my feet after.
(of course a small part of me was thinking free yard work and a foot rub but luckily the part of me that doesn't like to get murdered stepped in )
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I think that a very broad assumption you made about Craiglist
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I think that a very broad assumption you made about Craiglist
edited to be more specific.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
happygirl
DIS Veteran

My suggestion is to go a local college and post something on there help wanted board
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Posting an ad at a college is a great idea!

Otherwise...I guess possibly run an ad in your local newspaper if you really want to avoid Craigslist. Craigslist would probably be the best way, though.

Me-29: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
pookybean
Mouseketeer

You could try to contact your local Council on Aging office. Many of the offices have employment programs for seniors (which may start at age 55). A senior who is retired or semi-retired may be interested in a very part time position and have the work ethic you are looking for

me, ds 17, dd12, dd4
pookybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

If you're near a military base, lots of spouses are frequently looking for part-time jobs.

College newspapers are also a good start. I've found that advertising in the online editions is much less expensive than print and you can get almost unlimited info into the online ad. Print usually costs per line. Don't forget two-year and technical colleges in addition to universities.

If there's a SAHP network in town, you might have luck locating someone who's looking for PT work while kids are in school.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

Facebook! A friend of a friend posted that he was looking for some part time help. He told me when I called him about the job that within a day he he'd had a bunch of calls and had 6 real possibilities. ETA - sorry I saw that you said you couldn't post on FB because of a friends daughter. Post in your qualifications for the job something you KNOW the daughter doesn't have. Such as this is to be a permanent LONG TERM position that takes place during the day (while school is in session).
Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
danetter
DIS Veteran

You can still do Facebook and block her from seeing that post. There is a way to block her from seeing the post and not block her totally from your page altogether.

1986 - offsite, 1990 - offsite, Oct. 2008 - All Star Music,
Sept/Oct. 2009 - Pop Century, Sept. 2010 - Pop Century, Sept. 2011 - Pop Century, Sept. 2012 - All Star Music, Sept. 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
danetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

You could call local churches/mosques/synagogues and ask if they know of anyone reputable they could recommend. Our church staff usually knows who is looking and reliable.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaLisa View Post
If you're near a military base, lots of spouses are frequently looking for part-time jobs.

College newspapers are also a good start. I've found that advertising in the online editions is much less expensive than print and you can get almost unlimited info into the online ad. Print usually costs per line. Don't forget two-year and technical colleges in addition to universities.

If there's a SAHP network in town, you might have luck locating someone who's looking for PT work while kids are in school.
This is the best idea yet. If you want someone a little older, this would put you in touch with a slightly older crowd. You could even try senior groups if it's something that someone in early retirement might want.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
SueInBoston
DIS Veteran

I say Craigslist and just be a bit more diligent on screening. I did 3 partime projects last year found on CL.
SueInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
pocomom
Brr.....

Great suggestions everyone! Has anyone had recent experience with elance or anything similar? I know I did 2 jobs years ago through them, but a friend of mine had a bad experience recently with hiring there, not sure if it is a one time thing, or if they are still good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: