Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #976
rachlovestv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMagicFan View Post

How did you find out what corral placement you were?

I don't remember being told and just assumed that when I had no proof but entered the minimum time finish that I would automatically be in the last corral.
You usually can find out when you get your confirmation sheet a few weeks before the race, which will have your bib number on it. And then when you actually pick up your bib, it will have your corral on it.

I'm not sure how things work now, but no proof of time doesn't necessarily mean the last corral. Like PrincessV, when I ran the Tinker Bell Half in 2012, it was my first race and I had no proof of time. I estimated my finish time as 2:45, the lowest you could go with no proof of time, and was placed in Corral C.
rachlovestv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #977
bellaally
DIS Veteran

Anyone know how early family can go to DHS for the party. I read at 10pm, but I read someone's post about being able to enter after the start of the race

bellaally is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #978
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaally View Post
Anyone know how early family can go to DHS for the party. I read at 10pm, but I read someone's post about being able to enter after the start of the race
The party info says that it starts at 10. Same time that the race starts, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
We're all an experiment of one, as Charles likes to say, so what works for other may or may not work for you. ...

Half for fun: 1 gel 10 min before start, 1 gel at 60-75 minutes
Shorter distance: 1 gel 10 min before start, rarely during the race
So true that we're all different. For me, while I loved the taste of the Stingers, all they seemed to be, for me, was sugar. Carbs are great, but for me I need the salt, bigtime. But for some reason the little packet of salt things I got as part of my experimental purchase, scares me, and I haven't yet used it. I don't want to accidentally hurt myself!

I practice with the replacements during training, obviously, and just recently I started eating one shotblok (not all 3 that is a serving) at the beginning of the run, and it has been GREAT. Instead of starting to fade then coming back, I start off normal and then get stronger. I had been wondering if I was making it up, that I could *start* by taking something, and now there's your post. Thanks.

weird thing...I'm incredibly sensitive TO sodium, and have been since I was a young teen...I will swell like crazy, for instance, if I have a margarita with salt on the rim... But then I sweat so much during exercise that I NEED the salt. So it's a tricky thing for me, which is why I've only been using 1/3 serving (at a time) of the shotbloks recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
I have found that sports beans never want to come out of the original package whilst running. And I agree that chomps take too long to chew. I will do a chocolate gu before the race (can't find any other flavors I like yet. I have a peanut butter to try). I might have to try a honey stinger on my next long run and see how they are.

Do you wear a belt to carry all the fuel? I was thinking about getting a sparkle skirt to take advantage of all the pockets.
I plan on distilling the beans into something else, because I don't want to argue with that little packet.

I bought a very simple belt from RoadRunner Sports, and I'm loving it. It's their brand. I wear it on the treadmill, looking silly, but I've got to get used to it. I have practiced with my phone in the belt (not sure if I'll be bringing it...I don't run with music anymore, and I wouldn't be able to hear the run/walk alerts just from the phone, and the idea of being that sweaty and having earbuds in makes me shudder) but it works better in my SkirtSports Happy Girl (that's the longer length running skirt they have) shorts pocket. I have it in a Lifeproof case which is waterproof, so I don't think I have to worry about sweat or anything in that case.

But I have yet to practice with scads of replacements products, so I have to do that and make sure I don't end up just scattering everything on the ground.

And I'm mystified as to what I'll do about drinking. I haven't tried a belt with water bottles, but I *feel* like having water strapped to me will make me nutty. But...are the water stations going to be enough for me? If not, then I'll be in trouble.

This running thing is expensive!

Is it here or on the Half/Marathon thread that people were talking about what foods they'll be eating during recovery? I'm so excited about my late breakfast/early lunch at Tusker House on the 6th that I can barely deal with it. :d ance3:

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 07-18-2013 at 08:35 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #979
frisbeego
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachlovestv View Post
I'm not sure how things work now, but no proof of time doesn't necessarily mean the last corral.
Per runDisney: "If proof of time is not provided, you will be placed in the last start corral."
frisbeego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #980
rachlovestv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeego View Post

Per runDisney: "If proof of time is not provided, you will be placed in the last start corral."
That's not always how it was, though.
rachlovestv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #981
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMagicFan View Post
How did you find out what corral placement you were?
I'm talking about last year - when waivers came out, maybe 3 weeks to a month before the race, they gave our bib numbers. Shortly after, runDisney posted a chart of the corrals, showing which bib numbers were in which corrals. I dug up last year's chart:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
This running thing is expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeego View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachlovestv View Post
That's not always how it was, though.
Exactly. Up until TOT 2013, I've never had proof of time to submit - for both TOT 2012 and Princess 2013 I was placed in C.

Now, they say they'll start placing no-proof people in the last corral going forward. We'll see... for Princess, that would be one GIGANTIC corral! They may well put anyone without proof behind those who do, but they'll have to spread it over more than one corral. For TOT, who knows? I expect they've upped the cap and may increase the number of corrals, so they may have the same situation: enough people with no proof that they need more than one "last" corral. Which effectively means that you could have no proof of time and still be a corral or two ahead of the sweepers, KWIM?

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #982
rigsfhdgnv
Earning My Ears

Cruella De Vil Socks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofthreeboys View Post
I was thinking about doing that costume also. I've looked everywhere for those socks! Will you let me know if you find them? Please and thank you. Otherwise I think I'll have to find a different villain.

FYI - I did some serious searching last night and found some great options for socks. Links:

http://www.q-sport.com/podottuso.html

http://www.sportwide.com/ItemMatrix....5&MatrixType=1

http://www.absolutesportsocks.com/rl-2808white.html

Hope that helps! I know I'll definitely be choosing one of those!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #983
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

FYI - I went to Walmart tonight and they had sports beans and Clif blocks back in the sporting goods dept. on clearance. I picked up what I could because I needed some for my first triathlon tomorrow morning. I'll try the blocks on a run this week and see if I want to go pick up some more. Hope this helps someone!

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #984
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Following the Galloway "finish in the upright position" training plan, I had my first "magic mile" yesterday. I surprised myself! I mean, it was on a treadmill, as usual (the issue of where to leave the kiddo during longer runs remains, well, an issue, so it's still treadmills on an incline and making sure to USE my hamstrings while running), but still, it felt really good.

But since I run to get more WW "activity points" which I then eat, I couldn't leave it at just a mile. So I took a little break then did some more, and that some more was at a faster pace than I normally do. Felt great!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #985
kramerzoo
Mouseketeer

I'm alittle confused on the MM from the Galloway program. Are you suppose to run the entire mile? Or continue with the run walk intervals??
Old 07-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #986
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Question Running Toward End of Trip

Hi again, all! I was wondering if any of you have run a longer Disney race toward the end of a long-ish Disney trip?

We had our trip scheduled for 9/26-10/8 before we even realized ToT fell during this period. So that means I'll be running the 10-miler (MY FIRST) after 8 days of touring WDW. Not ideal, probably... Some questions...

1) Any advice for what to expect in this scenario?

2) How should I expect to alter my training program given all the walking we do on a Disney trip? Maybe further shorten some of the runs in that last week??

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #987
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot
Following the Galloway "finish in the upright position" training plan, I had my first "magic mile" yesterday. I surprised myself! I mean, it was on a treadmill, as usual (the issue of where to leave the kiddo during longer runs remains, well, an issue, so it's still treadmills on an incline and making sure to USE my hamstrings while running), but still, it felt really good.
Woohoo! I'm glad you had such an awesome training run. Be sure to get a MM off the treadmill. Treadmills are know for not being calibrated properly. Additionally, treadmills assist your momentum with the belt. Keep running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerzoo
I'm alittle confused on the MM from the Galloway program. Are you suppose to run the entire mile? Or continue with the run walk intervals??
Either. It's whatever you need to do to complete your mile. We just wrapped up our MM trials for our local group amd we had loads of different approaches. The most important thing is flat, known distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom
Hi again, all! I was wondering if any of you have run a longer Disney race toward the end of a long-ish Disney trip?

We had our trip scheduled for 9/26-10/8 before we even realized ToT fell during this period. So that means I'll be running the 10-miler (MY FIRST) after 8 days of touring WDW. Not ideal, probably... Some questions...

2) How should I expect to alter my training program given all the walking we do on a Disney trip? Maybe further shorten some of the runs in that last week??
Train with this is mind to get your weekly mileage above your training for TOT. Also, be sure to practice a few night runs and how to eat leading up to the race.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #988
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

I raised the bar from being just a runner and completed my first sprint triathlon today. It went about how I expected. The swim was not so great, the bike better, and the run was the best (and made me feel great when I could pass some of those that passed me on the swim and bike!).

Overall it was a great experience and I learned that you are never to old to try something new. I met a 78 year old woman today who proved that to me. Push yourself to that next uncomfortable level and see if you end up actually enjoying the view from there.

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #989
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerzoo View Post
I figure that it's however you'll be doing the run you're training for. I did intervals because that's almost certainly how I'll be doing the run. Still did it faster than I've done in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
Woohoo! I'm glad you had such an awesome training run. Be sure to get a MM off the treadmill. Treadmills are know for not being calibrated properly. Additionally, treadmills assist your momentum with the belt. Keep running!
Thanks, and yes, the goal is to get off the treadmill. It's the childcare issue I've got going against me, and the fact that the school district has told me that tracks are off limits officially, even during the summers. OK she said that they know people climb the fence, and if I want to do that no one will catch me. But I don't WANT to climb a fence. And the most local school to me is the school featured in Ten Things About I Hate You, and the track/field is the same (though nicer now) as it was in the movie, and it's a really steep hill down! Lots and lots of stadium stairs to fall down, LOL.

So there are issues with that. And that's why I really focus on using hamstrings when running on the mill, to remember that I'll be doing more work when on the ground.

Actually I'm getting a little time on the ground in, because my son and I are training him for the 5K in January. So I get reminders of what earth feels like.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #990
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerzoo View Post
I still use my run/walk, but push the pace by reducing walk breaks and speeding up the runs. The idea is to really push it for that mile, as you would if you were racing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post

Honestly, I don't do well after being on my feet for days, so I just can't hit a race immediately following a Disney vacation. But my recommendation in your case would be to limit time on your feet the day before and really try to stay off of them on race day; give your legs and feet time to rest before racing. I do tend to both shorten the distance and slow the pace on my short training runs while at Disney, for the same reason - my legs and feet are just too tired from so much walking and standing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
I raised the bar from being just a runner and completed my first sprint triathlon today.
Very cool - congrats on trying something new!

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: