Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #961
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerzoo View Post
Apologize if this has been asked before....Does anyone know the approximate times for corral placement for ToT?
I did my first 10K this past weekend...and even though it wasn't the fastest of times, I was pretty darn happy with it, so I am submitting it.
Just wondering cuz I want to make sure I have enough time to have fun while running without having to worry about being swept.
TIA!!
I am with you!! I did my first 10K this past Sunday, and submitted my time by email. I got a response literally within minutes showing the new finishing time this qualified me for. I, too, am curious whether there's a way to get a general idea of which corral a given time places you in... there was no such info in the email I got back - I just figured they wouldn't know for sure yet so wouldn't say...

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #962
MickeyMinnieMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
I do the opposite, run minutes instead of miles, and haven't had any problems with being adequately trained. I made my own plan with elements of Galloway, Higdon and Another Mother Runner, and do 2 mid-week runs in minutes: originally 30 each, pushed to 35 each, and am now at 40 each. Before all is said and done, they should be at 45 each by the race. Weekend long runs I do in distance.

What helps me wrap my head around a training plan's distance is viewing it in terms of incremental increases of around 10% per week (or every other week if one does cut-back weeks). That's total mileage over a week, so maybe your short runs get a little longer or maybe not, but your total mileage shouldn't go up more than about 10% from one week to the next.
Very helpful to hear your experience - thank you!! Maybe I'm worrying for nothing after seeing that most plans out there go by miles and not minutes.

Anyone else use minutes vs. miles for short runs in their training?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #963
kbonner
Mouseketeer

Mercedes Marathon Relay (2012)
BIRMINGHAM, AL

LEG3*10K
Team: Go Mo Go #2
RANK TIME PACE
3 42:28 6:51

Do you think they would accept this as proof or would I need something more concrete that had my name on it?

kbonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #964
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerzoo View Post
Apologize if this has been asked before....Does anyone know the approximate times for corral placement for ToT?
They didn't list the pace times on which corral placements were made last year, so we're all kind of in the dark on that. FWIW, my friend submitted proof of a 2:25:00 half and was placed in A; I submitted no proof and entered an expected finish of whatever the minimum was we could submit without proof and was placed in C. Note, too, that they only had 4 big corrals last year - I wouldn't be surprised to see more corrals with fewer people in each this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
Very helpful to hear your experience - thank you!!
Happy to share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbonner View Post
Mercedes Marathon Relay (2012)
BIRMINGHAM, AL

LEG3*10K
Team: Go Mo Go #2
RANK TIME PACE
3 42:28 6:51

Do you think they would accept this as proof or would I need something more concrete that had my name on it?
I'm pretty sure it needs to show your name, otherwise how would they know that time belongs to you, right? Is there anything that would cross-reference, like a list of team members' names?

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #965
belle032
Mouseketeer

Has anyone tried the Gatorade Energy Chews? I saw an ad for them on Twitter and was interested to see how effective they were. There was only 1 review on Amazon, but it was 5 stars so I'm intrigued! Thought I'd see if any of ya'll had experience with them!

University of Kentucky Alumna
belle032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #966
PE_TCR
Disney Cruise Adict

I have used the Gatorade Energy chews. I liked them UNTIL I started trying the GU Chomps. Now those are my go to chews. I still use the Gatorade chews as a last minute chew before the start. But I have really liked the Chomps a lot more.
1996 All-Star Sports, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2000 Shades of Green, 2002 All-Star Sports, 2004 off site, 2008 All-Star Movies, 2009 Caribbean Beach and Wonder, 2009-10 All-Star Music,(Christmas-New Year Cruise) Magic and All-Star Movies, Alaska Cruise (Wonder) 2011, All-Star Movies 2012, Podcast Cruise 3.0 2012 Dream, 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) DVC, Tower od Terror 10 Miler (All Star Sports), 2014 Marathon Weekend (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village), Animal Kingimdom (Jambo House) - Magic - Art of Anamation
PE_TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #967
Fruto76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE_TCR View Post
I have used the Gatorade Energy chews. I liked them UNTIL I started trying the GU Chomps. Now those are my go to chews. I still use the Gatorade chews as a last minute chew before the start. But I have really liked the Chomps a lot more.
I love the Cran apple Chomps... It's all I will buy for myself. I use Gu on race day because it stores easier on the belt but its always chomps prior to and on my long training runs!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #968
rachlovestv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle032 View Post
Has anyone tried the Gatorade Energy Chews? I saw an ad for them on Twitter and was interested to see how effective they were. There was only 1 review on Amazon, but it was 5 stars so I'm intrigued! Thought I'd see if any of ya'll had experience with them!
I've tried those when I ran out of my usually gummies, and just had to grab what the grocery store had. They have the same consistency and size of the Clif Shot Blocks, so if you've tried those, they are similar. I usually eat either the gu chomps or my new obsession, the honey stinger gummie chews. I like the honey stinger ones the best because they are smaller and not quite so dense, plus there are some great flavors. I usually eat a pack of gummies before my long runs, and then during my run, I switch to energy gels, either Clif or Gu. They're just easier to store and eat on the run.
rachlovestv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #969
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Yay, we're back to electrolyte replacement/energy things again! Just about my fave running-related subject. Alas I have no knowledge or experience with the Gatorade product. I'm a ShotBlok margarita (3x sodium!) kinda person. And SportsBeans. I have no idea how I'm going to carry all of the things I'll need, LOL.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #970
belle032
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll try the gatorade ones, clif blocks and honey stingers and see what works best for me. I have a weird food texture phobia thing...I can't handle anything too mushy or soft, like jello, pudding, marshmallows, whipped cream, etc. I don't even like gummy bears or worms that much. So I'm trying to stick to the blocks and chews because I KNOW the gels would freak me out!

University of Kentucky Alumna
belle032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #971
MickeyMinnieMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachlovestv View Post
I usually eat a pack of gummies before my long runs, and then during my run, I switch to energy gels, either Clif or Gu.
Would love some input on this -- I struggle with how many of these things to chew for different length runs.

Any tips from anyone would be AWESOME!!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #972
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
Would love some input on this -- I struggle with how many of these things to chew for different length runs.
We're all an experiment of one, as Charles likes to say, so what works for other may or may not work for you. That said, you typically need one gel (or 3 bloks or one pack of beans) every hour or so during a marathon, depending on how hard you're working. You'll need to take something more often if you're running to bust out a PR than if you're just running for the fun of it. As the race distance gets shorter, you need less supplemental energy, but again, this also depends on the level of effort you're putting forth. For me, I tend to do the following:

Marathon for PR: 1 gel 10 minutes before the start, 1 gel every 30 minutes during the race
Marathon for fun: 1 gel 10 minutes before the start, 1 gel every hour
Half for PR: 1 gel 10 min before the start, 1 gel every 45 min
Half for fun: 1 gel 10 min before start, 1 gel at 60-75 minutes
Shorter distance: 1 gel 10 min before start, rarely during the race

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #973
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
We're all an experiment of one, as Charles likes to say, so what works for other may or may not work for you.
That's been my experience over the past year and a half. I think I started with the basic concept of 100 cals per hour and started experimenting as my long runs got longer, noting in my run data what worked and what didn't. At this point, I've got a pretty good handle on what my body's needs are. I'll share, but it really is different for everyone...

Pre-run: eat a good meal 45 mins- 1hour pre-run.
30 mins: 3-4 Honey Stinger chews
60 mins: 1/4 Clif bar
90 mins: 3-4 chews
120 mins: 1/4 Clif bar
150: mins: 3-4 chews
180 mins: 1/4 Clif bar

I tried doing just the chews, but I'm hypoglycemic to start and running makes it much worse; my body was overproducing insulin and dropping my blood sugar too much. The Clif bars are more complex carbs with some protein, which keeps my blood sugar/insulin levels more stable.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #974
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

I have found that sports beans never want to come out of the original package whilst running. And I agree that chomps take too long to chew. I will do a chocolate gu before the race (can't find any other flavors I like yet. I have a peanut butter to try). I might have to try a honey stinger on my next long run and see how they are.

Do you wear a belt to carry all the fuel? I was thinking about getting a sparkle skirt to take advantage of all the pockets.

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #975
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
I submitted no proof and entered an expected finish of whatever the minimum was we could submit without proof and was placed in C.
How did you find out what corral placement you were?

I don't remember being told and just assumed that when I had no proof but entered the minimum time finish that I would automatically be in the last corral.
HiMagicFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: