Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #901
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
Awesome!! So the new shoes are working out (saw your post the other day about it)?
Yes, thank you! The shoes seem to be keepers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Put in my planned 7 miles this morning. Temp was 85 with a feels like of 91. At 6:50am. I almost died.

Okay, that may be overstating. A little. Time for what's becoming my annual PSA...

DON'T BE V!

I refuse to add the recommended 2-3 mins per mile to my pace in the heat because, really, it's hot most of the freaking year here, right? Well I pushed it too far today: 3 miles in I had cramping muscles, tunnel vision, nausea and dizziness, and I went from drenched in sweat to merely clammy - every sign of heat exhaustion. I took a long walk break, cooled off at a fountain and slowed my pace to finish my 7, but lesson learned. Again.

Yes, train in high heat and humidity to acclimate... but be careful.

This message paid for by the sweat of a stupid Floridian runner.

BTW, I went through about 50 ounces of Nuun and water and STILL wound up 2 pounds down. Crazy!

Wow! Thank you for the wonderful PSA! It makes me feel better about my run yesterday. It was the slowest I have had in MONTHS... I mean, I know that heat and humidity (both high here right now) slow you.. but I didn't push too hard cause I knew it was going to be a tough run. THEN I felt bad about myself for "letting myself off the hook" and not pushing...and getting the bad time. You have helped me to feel like I made the right decision! Thank you!!!
annmarieda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #902
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachlovestv View Post
Ha, I totally get it. You really can never tell with Seattle weather. It's usually not this nice so early in the summer....

.....I ran the Seattle Rock n Roll marathon last weekend, thought I had prepared pretty well, even going so far as to do a few runs through direct sun so I could get used to that possibility, but I still had a melt down on race day. I finished, but my time was way higher than I had expected. I don't know what I could have done differently, other than be better prepared mentally to deal with feeling hot and cranky.
Didn't those iced towels at the finish line feel heavenly? I want those to be waiting for me at the end of every one of my runs for the rest of the summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I've never been so this is hypothetical. I hear it can be fun to wander the expo, so I want to make sure I have some time to do that. As much as I want to hang out with hubby and son, if they don't want to wander the expo I'll just have to leave them behind somewhere so they can do something else.
I left DH behind last year. This year it will be me, DD and Dis enjoying the expo while the rest of the group does their own thing.
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #903
rachlovestv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki23 View Post

Didn't those iced towels at the finish line feel heavenly? I want those to be waiting for me at the end of every one of my runs for the rest of the summer!
OMG, yes!! I don't remember getting those at any other race, but after I got my medal, I saw the girl with the towels and about knocked over the girl that got in my way trying to give me a bottle of water. I ended up with two towels even. They were so wonderful! Lol.
rachlovestv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #904
mommyofthreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
Has anybody seen the 2013 medal,the medal itself is the same but the ribbon appears all new.It's a black and red checkerboard pattern with Stitch dressed as a bellhop and the races name in yellow.
No, I haven't seen it. Where can I see a pic?
September 2008-ASsp- Anniversary trip-just DH & I
April 25-30, 2009- BWV with a friend
March 21-25, 2010- first cruise! and a stay at POR and CS. On the Wonder.
January 3-8, 2011- 2nd cruise! On the Magic.
(41) (38) (20) (15) (13)
mommyofthreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #905
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofthreeboys View Post
No, I haven't seen it. Where can I see a pic?
This girl has it up on her blog called RunningatDisney.com.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #906
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
This girl has it up on her blog called RunningatDisney.com.
Love the addition of Stich! He's my favorite character. Pretty excited DH & I opted to register for TOT last minute.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #907
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

Not sure about the red and black checked. Maybe orange and black would have been better. But still pretty cute!

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #908
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Yes, thank you! The shoes seem to be keepers!!!
YAY!!!

Quote:
You have helped me to feel like I made the right decision! Thank you!!!
Happy to have helped! Seriously, I remember people telling me last year to not even think about pace on those summer long runs, to run by feel. I guess I forgot. No more pushing for me unless it feels good; first sign of not feeling great, I'll be throttling down.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #909
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
YAY!!!

Happy to have helped! Seriously, I remember people telling me last year to not even think about pace on those summer long runs, to run by feel. I guess I forgot. No more pushing for me unless it feels good; first sign of not feeling great, I'll be throttling down.
Hey V! I got out there yesterday morning and just about died. I'm in training for the DL 1/2 and I have no idea what I was thinking when I signed up for that race. I was able to do 5.43 miles, mostly walking, but I did it. It was 90 degrees and 78% humidity at 8:00am!

sunnygal041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #910
mommyofthreeboys
DIS Veteran

Is there anyone who will also run the Happy Haunted 5k early that morning?? Thoughts about doing this??
September 2008-ASsp- Anniversary trip-just DH & I
April 25-30, 2009- BWV with a friend
March 21-25, 2010- first cruise! and a stay at POR and CS. On the Wonder.
January 3-8, 2011- 2nd cruise! On the Magic.
(41) (38) (20) (15) (13)
mommyofthreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #911
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofthreeboys View Post
Is there anyone who will also run the Happy Haunted 5k early that morning?? Thoughts about doing this??
Go for it! I'm running the Marine Corps 1/2 Marathon in Jax the morning before the TOT 10-miler. If you train for it, you can do it.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #912
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer2Be View Post
Anyone have suggestions for getting the most out of the treadmill workouts?
I'm not an expert at all, but I always make sure to have some incline on the treadmill. I thought I was being a bit wimpy about it, but then I did a local 5K that ends up a mile going uphill, and I did very well on it. Much better than I thought I would! With the final turn that continues uphill, going into the chute (flat, but on grass instead of road), I turned off my music in annoyance because the pace just wasn't fast enough. GREAT song for finishing up my runs on the treadmill (No Doubt's End It On This), and I thought it would be too fast for ground-running (but would motivate me to MOVE at the end), but it was too slow. Guess maybe I wasn't being wimpy about the incline on the treadmill.

Doom thanks for posting where to find the medal! I actually quite like the ribbon.

And how did I not realize this is only the second year of this run?

So what sort of things do they tend to have at the rundisney expos?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #913
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

Hi again, all! Quick question... anyone out there use this training program for a half marathon, or any slight variation on it? It's the one my sister uses and swears by (she's run several 10-milers and half's... I've run exactly NONE!):

http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-m...-training.html

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #914
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

And how did I not realize this is only the second year of this run?
Technically yes. It was the TOT 13k before.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #915
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
Technically yes. It was the TOT 13k before.
Ok that makes more sense.

Over a week ago something weird happened with my foot, so I was taking some time off. Today I committed to ONLY jog a mile, and then to walk for the rest of my workout if it felt OK, and I kept to that. I just realized I need to ice it, and hey, bonus, that will cool me down, too. Not used to it being this hot here! Even the a/c in stores is struggling; no icy blasts like you get in Florida stores.
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: