Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #871
acpalmer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart goes boOm View Post
how do you get to and from the race if you are not staying at a host resort?
If you don't have a car, I imagine a taxi is your best bet.

acpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #872
schmcktgt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I've been having an obsession with finding the perfect gu/gel/beans/etc to help replace my electrolytes while I run!
Bunbershoot, have you tried the clif bloks in margarita? they have 3 times the sodium! i also sweat a lot, and its super salty sweat too. these taste a lot like a margarita, limey and salty. i don't love the flavor, but they help me replace the sodium i lose when running. i take 1 or 2 before my run and then keep taking them while running. i find it helps to start replacing electrolytes and salts before i lose them.
schmcktgt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #873
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmcktgt View Post
Bunbershoot, have you tried the clif bloks in margarita? they have 3 times the sodium! i also sweat a lot, and its super salty sweat too. these taste a lot like a margarita, limey and salty. i don't love the flavor, but they help me replace the sodium i lose when running. i take 1 or 2 before my run and then keep taking them while running. i find it helps to start replacing electrolytes and salts before i lose them.
I have I have! They are right up there with sports beans for me (and the beans are probably really good for me because there are so many). I have one more thing to try (I bought a ton of stuff from REI a few weeks back) and then I think I'm getting a bunch of margarita (bonus: they confuse people on the nearby treadmills when you're eating them and smell like margarita) and many bags of beans to continue training with.

I had mentioned before that even though I'm new to all this, I'm trying to heed my brothers' advice from experience, which is to never EVER try something new during a race. Doesn't matter if it's provided by the run sponsors, don't do it. He had a PR destroyed by trying something he'd never had; don't know if he just felt/was sick, or if it caused more portapotty stops (he doesn't tell the whole story), but it was a huge bummer for him.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #874
heart goes boOm
Mouseketeer

Aww boo. Is it easy to get a taxi from HS after the race to go home? Or else I gotta change my resort... But I don't wanna!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #875
kmchisholm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Aww boo. Is it easy to get a taxi from HS after the race to go home? Or else I gotta change my resort... But I don't wanna!
I believe there are plenty of taxis waiting out front, so it shouldn't be a problem! If not you can always walk over to S&D or one of the other resorts and catch one from there.
kmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #876
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
Nobody has posted on here in 5 days? Hard to believe it!
I'm so glad, though - I've been at WDW for the past week and trying to catch up is tough!

Quote:
I had mentioned before that even though I'm new to all this, I'm trying to heed my brothers' advice from experience, which is to never EVER try something new during a race.
Repeat after me: NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So yeah - spent the last 9 days in WDW and US. Oh. My. Heck. It was hot. HOT. Like, standing on the surface of the sun kinda hot. And I live in west-central FL, so that's saying something!

I tried to stick to my training plan, but bailed on one short run. Totally the right call - many days of walking, not enough sleep, Feels Like temps above 100 and several days of hiking water park stairs sucked every last ounce of energy from me. I did manage one slow short run and my 6-mile long run, though, and I'll blog my route reviews soon.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #877
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

I've been training for my first triathlon and man is it getting difficult. Multiple workouts/day and the darn heat! I just need to stay motivated and push through these final workouts. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end right?

As Dorie would say "Just keep swimming/biking/running....."

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #878
Ana~n~Joseph
I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met Mickey for the first time

Quote:
how do you get to and from the race if you are not staying at a host resort?
We are planning on using taxis to get us around. We are staying at AKL.

Dec ‘95 – ASMusic; Dec ‘96 – ASMusic; Dec ‘97 – offsite; Dec ‘98 – ASMusic; Dec ‘99 ASMovies ; Aug ‘02 – ASMusic ; Jan ‘06 – CBR (Honeymoon); Sept ‘06 – Pop; Nov ‘06 – ASMusic; March ‘07 – POR; Sep ‘07 – Pop; Sept '07 - DLP; Feb ‘08 – Pop; Sept ‘08 – CSR; Jan ‘09 – Pop; Jan’ 09 – CR Club; March ‘10 – Boardwalk; Sept ‘10 – CSR; May ‘11 – CR; Sept '11 - AKL; Dec '11 - AKL Club; Dec '11 - Christmas Cruise - Disney Dream; September 2012 - AKL w/ BFF - November 2012 - Pop w/ DS + Mom & Disney Dream; April 2013 Disney Magic - Coming Up: October 2013 - AKL-Kidani - ToT 10 miler; Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2014 - Disney Dream & AKL/BWV; Aug 2014 - Disney Magic Med; Sept 2014 - BLT, AKL & Disney Dream w/ BFF; Jan 2015 - Pop Century; October 2015 - Wine & Dine Half; Nov 2015 - Disney Wonder;
Ana~n~Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #879
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hello! My question for the day is about the heat we'll probably be running in. Does anyone here do hot yoga? If so, do you think that's a fairly decent way to get your body used to doing physical work in a hot and humid environment?

Because for me there's really no other way. I live in western WA. We might have just had our two days of summer, LOL.

I did my first hot yoga class tonight, and although the heat was miserable, as I left it occurred to me that it could help out a bit. No, it's not running, but still.

Decent solution?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #880
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Hello! My question for the day is about the heat we'll probably be running in. Does anyone here do hot yoga? If so, do you think that's a fairly decent way to get your body used to doing physical work in a hot and humid environment?

Because for me there's really no other way. I live in western WA. We might have just had our two days of summer, LOL.

I did my first hot yoga class tonight, and although the heat was miserable, as I left it occurred to me that it could help out a bit. No, it's not running, but still.

Decent solution?
I'm definitely not an expert, since pretty much ALL I run in is heat and humidity, but I'd think anything you can do regularly to train in similar conditions will help!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #881
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Decent solution?
I dont know... been pretty humid this week. I trained for ToT through last summer which was relatively mild..but honestly, I think our humidity here isn't non existent. The person I was running with was from Boston and the humidity during the race was killing her... but it wasn't anywhere near killing me. For the PHM... I found the humidity noticeable, but again nothing I couldn't handle.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #882
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Since it is a big deal to me, I think I will post about it in all of the threads I am sub'd to. I apologize if this is not the first time you are reading about it.

BUT... I tend to have shoe woes when trying to find a new pair. Since my favorite shoe had to be replaced (worn out) and the new version just isn't the same, I ended up returning 4 pairs of shoes before setting on my latest find.

Running in a minimal shoe had me a bit skeptical that the new adidas boost would work for me, but I think it may be a great shoe for me. Two runs... and no problems. Cross your fingers for me. I have an 8 mile run in them tomorrow.. and if they pass that test they are my new favorite shoe!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #883
rachlovestv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't know about that, the next week looks like it's going to be a killer! But even when it's not as nice, what I would probably try is to run when the day is hottest, so mid-afternoon. I'm not a yoga person, so I don't really know how getting used to hot yoga might help running in the heat.
rachlovestv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #884
tinks_1989
need a like button

DH and I are racing the 5K and DD is running the 100m Hopefully in the right direction!
tinks_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #885
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinks_1989 View Post
DD is running the 100m Hopefully in the right direction!
This really made me !!

Too cute!!

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: