Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #31
niclodn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomment711 View Post
Debating trying this. I'm just now starting to get into shape though. It might be too soon to try it this year.... Hm.
You can absolutely do it!! I just started running last February with the goal of doing the Expedition Everest Challenge. Soon after registration opened for ToT, I kept thinking about how much fun that would be but doubted that I could ever run 10 miles. I was about 60 pounds overweight and couldn't run more than about 30 seconds without feeling winded. Some friends on My Fitness Pal convinced me that if I kept up with my training, I could at least finish within the time limits even if I had to walk. I still had my doubts, but I signed up anyway. And I ran -- 3 or 4 days a week, every single week -- through the hottest, most humid summer NC has seen in a long time. And I did it - with plenty of time to spare. And had a blast doing it! So much so, that I kept training and just ran my first half -- the Tink -- 2 weeks ago and have 3 more halfs and a full on the schedule for this year. Come next January, I hope to have a Goofy medal hanging around my neck I still have about 35 pounds to lose and I still run very slowly, but I'm confident that with proper training I CAN do it. And so can you
niclodn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #32
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

I'm in again as well! Nice to have something to train towards. Also nice that going to this race also hits MNSSHP and F&W. So lots of things to look forward to.

I wasn't too pleased with my time last year, I think it was 2 hours 24 minutes. Alot of people said that the humidity messed with their times...but I dunno, I thought I could have at least pulled 2 hours.

For you guys who run the other Disney races, do any of them have half mile or quarter mile markers? I think this would have helped me to better pace myself last time. I hope the TOT 10 miler might have them this year.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #33
nocomment711
Ces Soirees-La

I think I'm gonna do it. Does anyone know the prices on the discount tickets offered? I was gonna go down for a week with my grandma (she wouldn't be doing the race stuff with me xD)
nocomment711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #34
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
I'm in again as well! Nice to have something to train towards. Also nice that going to this race also hits MNSSHP and F&W. So lots of things to look forward to.

I wasn't too pleased with my time last year, I think it was 2 hours 24 minutes. Alot of people said that the humidity messed with their times...but I dunno, I thought I could have at least pulled 2 hours.

For you guys who run the other Disney races, do any of them have half mile or quarter mile markers? I think this would have helped me to better pace myself last time. I hope the TOT 10 miler might have them this year.
On time - this is how I look at Disney races. I am there to have fun. I want to have fun and I want to take pictures with any character I darn well please. My marathon time from this year is quite horrible, but I had a great time!

Mile markers - I did the Marathon a few weeks ago, no they didn't have quarter or half mile markers, only full mile markers. I would recommend getting a Garmin or other GPS watch for pacing.

Also, at least for the marathon, it is hard because of all the weaving around people, etc. to really keep a good pace. I also ran 26.87 miles instead of 26.2 because of all the weaving. It was really disheartening sometimes to see my Garmin click to the next mile, but I knew that I wouldn't hit the actual mile marker for quite a while (usually another half mile). That really sucked! haha.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #35
nocomment711
Ces Soirees-La

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808

On time - this is how I look at Disney races. I am there to have fun. I want to have fun and I want to take pictures with any character I darn well please. My marathon time from this year is quite horrible, but I had a great time!
Can you take a camera with you while your running?
nocomment711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #36
belle032
Mouseketeer

I'm planning on this being my 1st runDisney event as well! I worked at TOT for over a year and met my fiance there so it's kind of close to my heart. I figured it would be the perfect event to start with. Then hopefully the Princess 1/2 next year. Have a training question though. I've been doing the C25K which I love (not happy winter keeps getting in my way though!) but does anyone have any recommendations for training programs for the 10 miler besides the 1 on the website?

University of Kentucky Alumna
belle032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomment711 View Post
Can you take a camera with you while your running?
Absolutely! I didn't last year for the TOT because it is a night race and my camera doesn't really take good night time pics!! There are also brightroom photographers with each character and throughout the course, but keep in mind that the photos can be pricey!! (But I buy them every time )
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #38
pilgrimr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle032
I'm planning on this being my 1st runDisney event as well! I worked at TOT for over a year and met my fiance there so it's kind of close to my heart. I figured it would be the perfect event to start with. Then hopefully the Princess 1/2 next year. Have a training question though. I've been doing the C25K which I love (not happy winter keeps getting in my way though!) but does anyone have any recommendations for training programs for the 10 miler besides the 1 on the website?
What helped me was the book Marathon for Mortals. They had several options for training.
pilgrimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #39
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle032 View Post
I've been doing the C25K which I love (not happy winter keeps getting in my way though!) but does anyone have any recommendations for training programs for the 10 miler besides the 1 on the website?
Hal Higdon offers a 10-mile plan, too: Higdon 10-Mile Training

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #40
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808 View Post

Also, at least for the marathon, it is hard because of all the weaving around people, etc. to really keep a good pace. I also ran 26.87 miles instead of 26.2 because of all the weaving. It was really disheartening sometimes to see my Garmin click to the next mile, but I knew that I wouldn't hit the actual mile marker for quite a while (usually another half mile). That really sucked! haha.
That is a good point. When we hit that dirt path on last year's TOT 10 Miler I was contemplating shouting for everyone to clear a lane for the runner's, but I was tired and decided to walk with the path (bad move).

Are all big races like that or just Disney? I've just done the one Disney race, so I'm not sure if the bigger races cities put on have more clear cut running lanes. I think that would be wonderful if Disney were to make announcements or something to leave the left or right side open to runners.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #41
niclodn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
That is a good point. When we hit that dirt path on last year's TOT 10 Miler I was contemplating shouting for everyone to clear a lane for the runner's, but I was tired and decided to walk with the path (bad move).

Are all big races like that or just Disney? I've just done the one Disney race, so I'm not sure if the bigger races cities put on have more clear cut running lanes. I think that would be wonderful if Disney were to make announcements or something to leave the left or right side open to runners.
I too wish there was a more clear cut running path -- I don't care whether its right, left or center, I just wish it was consistent. I do intervals and hate feeling like I'm cutting someone off when I switch from run to walk. I've always tried to move to the right for my walks, but it never fails that there is a runner trying to cut around right where I'm at. Same with when I start my run intervals -- it always seems like someone else is stopping in front of me.
niclodn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #42
belle032
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Hal Higdon offers a 10-mile plan, too: Higdon 10-Mile Training
Thanks so much! This is really helpful!

University of Kentucky Alumna
belle032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #43
holleypie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niclodn View Post
I too wish there was a more clear cut running path -- I don't care whether its right, left or center, I just wish it was consistent. I do intervals and hate feeling like I'm cutting someone off when I switch from run to walk. I've always tried to move to the right for my walks, but it never fails that there is a runner trying to cut around right where I'm at. Same with when I start my run intervals -- it always seems like someone else is stopping in front of me.
Moving to the right side for walking intervals is correct etiquette. I think most people who break the "rules" just have no idea there ARE "rules."

Last edited by holleypie; 02-01-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: forgot some words
holleypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #44
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

It also depends on who you ask (re: where walkers vs. runners should be) - I've seen it stated in quite a few places that walkers should stay toward the outside edges, either right or left... but I've also seen it stated that they should stay toward the center of the course to allow the faster runners to run the tangents. Put thousands of folks with different ideas on how it ought to work in one place and you've got the chaos of a Disney race!

Personally, I didn't find it to be too bad in last year's TOT. I started in the middle of Corral C and walked most of the first mile; it was a slow start due to congestion and little room for faster folks to break away. Once we got through that first clover leaf onto Osceola, I found plenty of room to both run and take walk breaks without get hung up. As mentioned, it narrowed drastically on the dirt path into WWOS, but I was nursing an injury and welcomed the forced slow walk... I probably would've been more frustrated there, too, if I actually could have run.

Now my friend started in A and reported no problems at all with anyone too slow in front of her, so if you're a faster runner, be sure to submit proof of time to get into the earliest corral possible!

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #45
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post

Personally, I didn't find it to be too bad in last year's TOT. I started in the middle of Corral C and walked most of the first mile; it was a slow start due to congestion and little room for faster folks to break away. Once we got through that first clover leaf onto Osceola, I found plenty of room to both run and take walk breaks without get hung up. As mentioned, it narrowed drastically on the dirt path into WWOS, but I was nursing an injury and welcomed the forced slow walk... I probably would've been more frustrated there, too, if I actually could have run.

Now my friend started in A and reported no problems at all with anyone too slow in front of her, so if you're a faster runner, be sure to submit proof of time to get into the earliest corral possible!
I was in D, and at least where we were running it was pretty congested most of the time until we hit the stadium.

I really don't mind either way where people run/walk, but I bet if Disney announced it when everyone was lining up maybe more people would follow it. I'm sure no one was doing it on purpose, but like you said no one was quite sure of the etiquette.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: