Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #151
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigsfhdgnv
1. What will the weather be like for a night run in Florida in October?
I'm guessing dark. Maybe hot, maybe cold, possibly humid, maybe wet & rainy, but definitely dark.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #152
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigsfhdgnv View Post
I live near WDW... early Oct. is pretty much like late Sept: hot and humid. A nighttime temp in the 70s is realistic, though it could easily be 80s, too. By Oct., it's possible to see a "cold" front come through with drier air, but I wouldn't count on it. Plan on very warm and muggy.

Quote:
2. I am going by myself, will probably stay at one of the host resorts. What would you all consider the absolute cheapest price I can get at a value resort to be? Right now, it looks like they're running around $122/night.
I'm not much help, as I either stay on DVC points or an AP discount, but I'd guess $100ish with a gen public discount is a safe bet.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #153
wickedgood
Earning My Ears

Still so many questions...

For people who have run this (or other Disney races) before, do you typically incorporate it into full-scale Disney vacation? If so, how do you plan around it? I guess I mean, do you start or end the vacation with the race, or do you put the race somewhere in the middle? Which way works out best for you?

Also, do you really have to pick up your bib at the Expo?? The Expo hours seem so horribly inconvenient. There's no other way to get your bib?

Also, also... are there any sort of meet-ups planned? I hope to be able to drag at least one person to Disney with me for this but I'll quite probably end up alone.

Also, also, also... one of the RunDisney web sites linked me to GET Travel. Is there any advantage to booking through them? Are the discounts they offer any different/better than the ones that Disney offers directly?
wickedgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #154
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I registered for this the other day and I am SUPER excited. I cannot wait to run this! I do have a couple of questions, though, if you all would be willing to help me out.
2. I am going by myself, will probably stay at one of the host resorts. What would you all consider the absolute cheapest price I can get at a value resort to be? Right now, it looks like they're running around $122/night.

Thanks so much for your help!
I am super excited for this race too.

Last year it was supposedly quite warm during the race. So, be prepared for that. I would expect humidity.

I am going solo too. I doubt the rates will drop beyond what they already are. I am booked at POFQ and it was about $200 a night for single occ. for a standard room.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #155
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgood View Post

For people who have run this (or other Disney races) before, do you typically incorporate it into full-scale Disney vacation? If so, how do you plan around it? I guess I mean, do you start or end the vacation with the race, or do you put the race somewhere in the middle? Which way works out best for you?

Also, do you really have to pick up your bib at the Expo?? The Expo hours seem so horribly inconvenient. There's no other way to get your bib?

Also, also... are there any sort of meet-ups planned? I hope to be able to drag at least one person to Disney with me for this but I'll quite probably end up alone.

Also, also, also... one of the RunDisney web sites linked me to GET Travel. Is there any advantage to booking through them? Are the discounts they offer any different/better than the ones that Disney offers directly?
I am doing this race solo, so I will be traveling alone arriving Thurs, leaving Sun. I may do a park on Thurs afternoon or Friday after finishing up at Expo. So, no, not really a full out Disney vacation. I will be back with my DH & kids about 2 weeks after the race though for Fall break.

I hope there is some sort of meet up that we can think about as it gets closer to the time of the race. We have briefly discussed it on a ToT FB group, but its still so far away its hard to get any firm decisons/input.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #156
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Quote:
I registered for this the other day and I am SUPER excited. I cannot wait to run this! I do have a couple of questions, though, if you all would be willing to help me out.
HOT! Seriously, I was sweating just standing in the corral waiting for the start, and less than a half mile in, I was covered in sweat, head to toe! I found out that every pore can create sweat and lots of it

Quote:

I generally do incorporate it into a vacation if I can- usually toward the end of the vacation. I live in the north, so last year we had our vacation the week leading up to the Tower, and it helped to acclimate me to the heat again!

Yes you have to pick up your bib at the Expo, unless you designate someone else to pick it up for you. Actually the Expo is quite fun!! You should check it out

There might be meet-ups, but I generally do not participate in them, someone else will probably start a conversation about that closer to the race.

Never worked with GET travel.

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #157
RedskinFan
Mouseketeer

It's so nice to see I am not the only one traveling solo. I am lucky enough to have friends with DVC points they don't use so I will be staying at SSR or OKW. I just have to decide which meal plan and if it's worthwhile getting the discounted park passes. I also need to get plane tickets but am holding out for a fare sale.
RedskinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #158
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinFan View Post
It's so nice to see I am not the only one traveling solo. I am lucky enough to have friends with DVC points they don't use so I will be staying at SSR or OKW. I just have to decide which meal plan and if it's worthwhile getting the discounted park passes. I also need to get plane tickets but am holding out for a fare sale.
Yay, another solo person
Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #159
holleypie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
When I ran the San Antonio Marathon on the second day of our vacation, I sprained my foot and spent the rest of the week hobbling around and whining. My husband said all future races must occur at the end of our vacation in case I hurt myself again. Heh.

We're incorporating this race into our yearly full-scale vacation, and I'd actually prefer to run it at the beginning so I'm not tired from touring the parks all week. When I thought the race would be the last weekend in September, we booked the following week with our DVC points. But obviously now the race will be toward the end of our vacation. I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #160
wickedgood
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by holleypie View Post
When I ran the San Antonio Marathon on the second day of our vacation, I sprained my foot and spent the rest of the week hobbling around and whining. My husband said all future races must occur at the end of our vacation in case I hurt myself again. Heh.

We're incorporating this race into our yearly full-scale vacation, and I'd actually prefer to run it at the beginning so I'm not tired from touring the parks all week. When I thought the race would be the last weekend in September, we booked the following week with our DVC points. But obviously now the race will be toward the end of our vacation. I'm sure it will be fine.
Yeah, I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of running at the beginning, getting injured, and having a miserable vacation v. having a lovely vacation, wearing myself out, and having a crumby race. I'm leaning toward the second option.
wickedgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #161
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
I havent seen any announcement from Run Disney that the event has sold out yet (just double checked their Twitter). Have you tried registering online?
Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
OMG! I nearly had a panic attack!!! I don't even seen a "this full" bar on the site... and you can definitely still register.

Definitely just realized I posted this in the wrong thread! It was supposed to be in the Everest thread...sorry guys!!!
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #162
jship210
DIS Veteran

I'm In! Registered yesterday, this is my first 10 Miler, I did the WDW marathon in 2012 and the first TOT 5.k/13k a few years back. Very excited to be with you all.

Jack
SS Norway 1985, 86',87'Big Red Boat 1989 Dolphin CL 1990 B.C. (Before Children) Disney Wonder 2005, , Magic, 2006 , 2007, Feb 2008, E Bound Panama Canal Pirates Repo Aug 08 Sept.12th 2009 25th Anniversary Cruise, January 10,2010 (completed) My 1st Disney Marathon ,July 11,2010 Wonder Double Dip, July 19, 2011 Wonder Alaska, May 2012 Disney Dream!2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler,October 2014 Disney Magic 30th Anniversary Cruise,Jan. 2015 Magic, Forget the Winter Blues Cruise,

jship210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #163
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jship210 View Post
I'm In! Registered yesterday, this is my first 10 Miler, I did the WDW marathon in 2012 and the first TOT 5.k/13k a few years back. Very excited to be with you all.

Jack
Welcome!!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #164
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Anyone else on this thread on dailymile?? If you are, feel free to add me, do a search for Barbie L., I'm the one in my Minnie costume from last year's TOT 10-miler I love being friends with Dis-ers on there!

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #165
holleypie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post
Anyone else on this thread on dailymile?? If you are, feel free to add me, do a search for Barbie L., I'm the one in my Minnie costume from last year's TOT 10-miler I love being friends with Dis-ers on there!
I just started using it. I added you (I think). I'm Holly and my picture is me and an adorable baby.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: