DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
NorCalDVC
Earning My Ears

Welcome home! We own both direct and resale points and so I understand both sides of the argument. The thing is that there are benefits to both.

Last edited by NorCalDVC; 09-11-2013 at 11:26 AM.
NorCalDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
We too purchased Direct in 2009. I say "WELCOME HOME!!" to all regardless how you got there.

** however I do not agree with Disney's (DVD?) policy to not allow resale members to take part in a Member's Cruise. I have written them about this and hope it will one day be a rule of the past. Direct vs resale is a persomal decision but benefits Disney either way. How is the resale member doing a disservice to Disney if their contract has passed ROFR? It is stupid and is not fair to the membership, IMO (sorry had to rant). Therefore I will never participate in a member's cruise that has this stipulation.
DVC makes no profit unless they sell direct, so they don't make anything off of resales and to them it it the loss of a direct buy.

To the OP, do what is right for you and I personally would never feel the need to justify it to anyone, especially strangers.

We bought direct. While I doubt we will add on, as we have plenty of points, I would not buy resale. I have my reasons and they work for me, and might not work for others. As I said to me it is a personal decision.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #18
murphy7573
Earning My Ears

In order to be a re-sale contract, wasn't there an original Direct Purchase from Disney??? Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am?

I sense a lot of negative energy today...
murphy7573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #19
drysdaleo
palmharbormichelle

Congrats on your purchase. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing what is right for you. I purchased direct in 2001 for $72 a point plus some other incentive that I can't even remember and (here it comes) financed for 10 years. There was no sales pressure; after 2 years in a row of a $3800 hotel bill we walked into the sales office on our own and signed on the line. I have stayed in studios during low season all the way to a grand villa Christmas week. I'm going this weekend, coming home for 4 days, and then going back next weekend.
To some people I'm sure I should be burned at the stake for purchasing/using this way.
I hope you are as happy with your purchase as I have always been and continue to be with mine.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Enjoy yourselves. Its really not that much money when you think of using it for the length of the contract. If you have to sell oh well. Welcome home!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
TotallyADiz
Earning My Ears

Wow, I didn't expect to cause such a stir. Definitely didn't expect any negativity. But most of the feedback back is awesome and I appreciate everyone's comments (and welcome home's!). Right back at all of you!

Just to clarify a few things. The reason for my long post wasn't because I was feeling guilty or conflicted really but more so because I know this is a subject that has been discussed (at length) and I wanted to give my perspective. I thought I was pretty clear in saying that from a purely $ standpoint it's hard to argue direct over resale and I certainly do not begrudge anyone from buying resale. By creating a "secondary market" like that keeps competition in play and helps with price. It also gives people an opportunity to get out of an obligation that they no longer want.

I didn't go into the purchase blind and I'm not an idiot (well, not a complete idiot anyway My frame of mind was this: I am not purchasing simply to be in my "home resort". While I understand that is all any of us (including direct) is guaranteed, that is not what am I banking on. I am also interested is using my points for other dvc resorts (which currently any of us can do) as well as the other programs down the road. Again, I know those programs might not be available down the road but I am betting that they are...and even though they aren't a good value (to most) to use points for, I am projecting that in the future when the kids are grown we might not be using the points for wdw every year, it might be more sporadic and then I might want to use those points for adv, etc. instead of wasting them (i would never rent them, I just can't be bothered with it, it's a great idea but doesn't work for me personally for a number of reasons).

So I viewed this whole transaction as "perceived risk". I perceived the risk of buying resale (to me and imho) that I might one day only be able to use my points in my home resort, wouldn't be able to use them in any extra programs now or in the future. I want those extra things. They are meaningful to me. I don't just want the home resort that we are guaranteed. Again I know that NONE OF US are guaranteed anything else but my "perceived risk" is that Disney is not going to cut the throats of their direct customers. They will always have these (or some other) perks for them. It just makes good business sense. So it is worth the premium to me to "bet on" the extras. I know it's a huge premium but for me it's worth it. If I had to be locked into my home resort forever with nothing else, it would be far less attractive for me (even at the 50% discount). That's just me.....and I view that as a major possible risk that might come tomorrow or 3 years from now.

I also agree that Disney has to be careful with their decisions on this front but at the end of the day they have a business to run and will make decisions they feel benefits the majority of their client base. I want to make sure I am on the right side of that transaction. Is that paranoia, intimidation? I don't think so. More like calculating your risks for what you feel is important to you.

....and no I'm not a DVC salesperson but not sure why that is such a negative. The ones I've spoken with are very nice. They have a job to do. Some of them are giving their opinions or discussing what they've been told. It can be viewed as threat tactics but maybe it's just honesty. Either way, don't hate the mouse, that's why we all bought in and drank the kool aid....direct or resale!

Welcome Home everyone!
TotallyADiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Great thread! DH and I are looking at the options of purchasing direct or resale. Right now direct is $165/pt w/$5 back on every pt purchased. I came across a resale website that showed $112/pt. I am leery of purchasing a resale as you never know who you can trust and how legit a company is. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, reputable resale company?

Sent from my Galaxy S II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
TotallyADiz
Earning My Ears

if you look at the top of the page you will see the sponsor The Timeshare Store (dvc-resales.com). I can't speak for them but it appears many many people on this board have used them successfully. Just read on this board. Lots of info.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

There 2 i dealt with first The Timeshare Store ,who sponsors this site and secondly Fidelity . They are both reputable and honest.I believe another is named DVC resales but i have not had any dealings with them. I'm sure others can fill you in on them. good luck and happy hunting.
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #25
DznyCrzy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyADiz
if you look at the top of the page you will see the sponsor The Timeshare Store (dvc-resales.com). I can't speak for them but it appears many many people on this board have used them successfully. Just read on this board. Lots of info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowirv
There 2 i dealt with first The Timeshare Store ,who sponsors this site and secondly Fidelity . They are both reputable and honest.I believe another is named DVC resales but i have not had any dealings with them. I'm sure others can fill you in on them. good luck and happy hunting.
Thank you!!! I checked BBB and they received an A+ rating, excellent!!! I'll check them out, hopefully I can find a good deal!

Sent from my Galaxy S II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
TotallyADiz
Earning My Ears

Seem to be lots of good deals around. Looks like from your signature you have another trip back home coming up. Maybe if everything works out for you you might be able to go on that trip with your points and cancel your ressie! Although I would cancel anything until you had a new reservation! Not trying to jump the gun, just saying...........
Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
bakenatj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyCrzy11 View Post
Thank you!!! I checked BBB and they received an A+ rating, excellent!!! I'll check them out, hopefully I can find a good deal!

Sent from my Galaxy S II
Fidelity is good to work with. If you find a contract with the right amount of points, don't be afraid to offer a lower price. The worst that can happen is they reject your offer. Good luck on finding a good contract.

1985 DL, 1989 DL, 2001 DL, 2003 WDW, 2004 DL, 2005 WDW, 2006 WDW, 2008 CSR, 2009 AKV-K, 2010 BLT, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 Aulani, 2013 DL, 2013 SSR, 2013 VGF.
bakenatj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #28
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyCrzy11
Great thread! DH and I are looking at the options of purchasing direct or resale. Right now direct is $165/pt w/$5 back on every pt purchased. I came across a resale website that showed $112/pt. I am leery of purchasing a resale as you never know who you can trust and how legit a company is. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, reputable resale company?

Sent from my Galaxy S II
Don't pay $112 per point for BLT, you can easily find contracts for at least $20 per point less. Take a look at the ROFR thread to see what BLT contracts have been selling for.

There are four major DVC resale companies, they're all legit and have many happy customers on this board. And despite what DVC salespeople tell you, there's nothing shady about buying a resale. The broker will pull point reports on the contract your buying twice in the purchase process to ensure you're getting the correct number of points the seller is advertising.

Good luck with your decision!

Edited to add: typically when you see a contract like the BLT contract you were looking at, having an asking price that is way higher than many of their other listings, it can mean the seller has a loan that needs to be paid off and that outlier of an asking price is what they need to get rid of their contract. These people typically have no room to negotiate.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
DznyCrzy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakenatj

Fidelity is good to work with. If you find a contract with the right amount of points, don't be afraid to offer a lower price. The worst that can happen is they reject your offer. Good luck on finding a good contract.
I'll check them out too!

Sent from my Galaxy S II

Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #30
DznyCrzy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose

Don't pay $112 per point for BLT, you can easily find contracts for at least $20 per point less. Take a look at the ROFR thread to see what BLT contracts have been selling for.

There are four major DVC resale companies, they're all legit and have many happy customers on this board. And despite what DVC salespeople tell you, there's nothing shady about buying a resale. The broker will pull point reports on the contract your buying twice in the purchase process to ensure you're getting the correct number of points the seller is advertising.

Good luck with your decision!
Ok, I found BLT for $90/pt!!! That seems like a great one to me. I'm going to keep looking though.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: