Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
itsmeamanda
Mouseketeer

Bag for DSLR for WDW

We are planning a trip to WDW in April and I am trying to figure out which bag to carry. I'd prefer either a crossbody bag or small backpack that I can carry my camera in along with a few other things.

I have a Nikon D7000 and am not planning on bringing any extra accessories into the park (other than memory cards).
itsmeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
DawnM
Dawn

I have a Kata Backpack, a little smaller than this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-DL-DR-...ack+camera+bag

It is very comfortable.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

When I carry a dedicated camera bag, which isn't often at WDW, I like my Tamrac adventure messenger 4. Though I still really only use it to carry lenses and keep the camera on me. DD has a Crumpler... one of the million dollar homes but I can't remember if it's 2 or 3. I've used it to stash a small DSLR with a walk around lens attached in and it works very well for that.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
jimim
DIS Veteran

my wife uses a crumpled million dollar house for her rebel. it's a great little bag. i like it a lot. i also can't remember which one. i know the only diff is size when i got it for her.

i personally have always used domke bags. i have 2 diff ones depending on what i carry. a f-3x rugged wear wax canvas and small saddle rugged wear canvas. i really like them both.
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
ionz13
Earning My Ears

I suggest the Clik Elite Probody Sport. I used it recently on a trip to Disneyland. Great size for my D90 + 18-55mm, 35mm, and a flash; and room for at least another lens. Plus room for stuff up top; jackets, snacks, water, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Clik-Elite-CE7...+elite+probody
Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
ionz13
Earning My Ears

I suggest the Clik Elite Probody Sport. I used it recently on a trip to Disneyland. Great size for my D90 + 18-55mm, 35mm, and a flash; and room for at least another lens. Plus room for stuff up top; jackets, snacks, water, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Clik-Elite-CE7...+elite+probody
Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
krb2g
DIS Veteran

I love my Lowepro Slingshot 100AW (though I may have to upgrade since my lens collection is growing...).
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

I love the idea of a backpack but I just can't wear one at WDW. The idea of wearing any type of backpack on a hot summer day, doesn't work. Doesn't wearing a backpack in the heat make your back sweat?

Other than that i don't mind them. My carry in bag is a convertible backpack style bag. I'm looking at my beautiful LowePro Flipside 300 as I type this, which I occasionally use on hikes on a comfortable spring or fall day.

I'm actually in the market for some type of bag for our trip in June. I'm currently looking at the Lowepro Passport Sling bag, I'm just a little concerned that it isn't quite "manly" enough. Does anyone else have this bag?

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
famousmockingbird
Mouseketeer

Okay, new to the Photography Board and new to my DSLR, as well. Quick question about bags - Those of you that take the small camera backpacks, do you feel that it's pretty sturdy? You don't worry about crushing anything on rides? Also, what about waterproofing? I want to take mine all over the parks, but I want to make sure it's safe. I have a Lowepro sling backpack that I got for Christmas, but I am just curious about what else you might to do ensure safety? (Sorry for the threadjack...Probably should have made my own!)
famousmockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockingbird
Okay, new to the Photography Board and new to my DSLR, as well. Quick question about bags - Those of you that take the small camera backpacks, do you feel that it's pretty sturdy? You don't worry about crushing anything on rides? Also, what about waterproofing? I want to take mine all over the parks, but I want to make sure it's safe. I have a Lowepro sling backpack that I got for Christmas, but I am just curious about what else you might to do ensure safety? (Sorry for the threadjack...Probably should have made my own!)
First of all welcome to the board! Also don't worry about thread jacking, you didn't, you just steered the discussion in a slightly different direction.

It obviously varies from bag to bag, but the majority of camera backpacks are pretty sturdy and as long as you take them off on rides I wouldn't worry about crushing them. As far as waterproofing, again that varies from bag to bag. Some have water resistant materials or linings, some have pull out rain hoods or water resistant bottoms. If yours don't, you could always bring a garbage bag to put it in when needed, or bring zip lock bags to put your camera or lenses in.

One of my bigger fears with a camera backpack, or camera bags in general is the fear of someone steeling my camera out of them. If you have something on your back you can't really see or feel someone accessing you bag. If your standing in line, you might want to take it off and hold it. One of the advantages of my Lowepro Flipside 300 is the fact that the opening to the bag toward my back, so it's virtually impossible for someone to steel my camera. While the extra security is a nice advantage it also has the disadvantage of making it much harder to access my camera.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

I too have a D7000 and cary a dedicated camera "backpack" that fits my body, and extra lenses ect ect. It also has room for a few other nick nacks like cell phones, car keys, wifes make up touch up kit.

While it is a "backpack" i never actuall put both straps on my 2 shoulders and wear it on my back. It is always slung on 1 shoulder. That way it is easy to take on and off should i need to get into it, or take it off. Works great for keeping my gear safe on rides like Rock-n-rollercoaster. It just sits at my feet, with me having a death grip on a strat.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
famousmockingbird
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice! I'm sure that I'll have a LOT more questions down the road. I'm slowly beginning to take my camera off of auto and play around.
famousmockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeamanda View Post
We are planning a trip to WDW in April and I am trying to figure out which bag to carry. I'd prefer either a crossbody bag or small backpack that I can carry my camera in along with a few other things.

I have a Nikon D7000 and am not planning on bringing any extra accessories into the park (other than memory cards).
Bags are such a personal thing. I really love ThinkTank bags. However, my favorite bag for WDW is the one I leave at home.

Seriously. I just don't bring a bag for my camera in the park. That means I don't have to go through the line where some security guard goes spelunking for my bag looking for...what are they trying to find?

I either put my bag on my camera strap (UPStrap) or on my tripod. I bring one lens - typically a 24-70mm f/2.8. That's it.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeem

Bags are such a personal thing. I really love ThinkTank bags. However, my favorite bag for WDW is the one I leave at home.

Seriously. I just don't bring a bag for my camera in the park. That means I don't have to go through the line where some security guard goes spelunking for my bag looking for...what are they trying to find?

I either put my bag on my camera strap (UPStrap) or on my tripod. I bring one lens - typically a 24-70mm f/2.8. That's it.
Completely agree that a bag is a very personal thing. I also think there is no such thing as a perfect bag, so the perfect bag is always the next one you are going to buy.

Seeing that you don't bring a bag into the parks, do you do anything differently when you go on rides? That ideal is intriguing, but in my case I will likely also have my GoPro with me, on a stroller most of the time, but taken off for rides.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
ionz13
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
Doesn't wearing a backpack in the heat make your back sweat?
It does at times, I haven't tried out my new bag at WDW; but in CA it was perfectly fine during the summer of around 90.

I don't really worry about crushing my gear, mainly b/c of all the padding that is inside. I'm generally pretty careful with it on rides, place one leg through the shoulder strap to make sure it doesnt go anywhere on the faster rides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post

One of my bigger fears with a camera backpack, or camera bags in general is the fear of someone steeling my camera out of them. If you have something on your back you can't really see or feel someone accessing you bag. If your standing in line, you might want to take it off and hold it. One of the advantages of my Lowepro Flipside 300 is the fact that the opening to the bag toward my back, so it's virtually impossible for someone to steel my camera. While the extra security is a nice advantage it also has the disadvantage of making it much harder to access my camera.
I found those bags to be awkward for myself. I always have the camera in my hands unless I'm going on a water ride or where there is no need for a camera; i.e. indiana jones. Also wouldn't your family/friends notice if someone is stealing something out of your bag; granted I imagine I would feel someone unzipping mine and pulling out some of my gear. The way i have it setup, it's pretty tight in there, so theft is not such of a huge concern in my mind for my front loading backpack.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: