DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #31
bakenatj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInLINY View Post
I am aware of this. We stay at Epcot resorts to walk to Epcot and take the boat to HS. We also walk through Epcot to take the monorail to MK. Or we stay at BLT and take the monorail to Epcot, walk through Epcot to the boat for HS and walk to MK. DH hates VWL because not all boats are stroller friendly. DH hates all resorts that only have bus transportation. If we go to AK, we only go once since DH will take that bus ride for Yak and Yeti lol. That may sound ridiculous to some but it is better than listening to DH complain and never want to go back to Disney.
Quote:
Thank you for your taking the time to answer all of my questions. I have been trying to persuade DH away from BLT and hopefully your input about 7 months out will help. As it would be hard for us to plan 11 months as well as 7 months out. DH is in sales and his schedule varies as well as when he can take time off. And we will not take our daughter out of school for vacation.
Don't mean to sound rude, but it sounds to me like you might not be happy with DVC. If your husband doesn't like buses and he doesn't want to drive, and he hates the boats. Your family isn't going to be happy at a lot of DVC resorts. Plus you're not sure if you will be able to book 7 months out and you are going to travel when schools are out. Just doesn't sound like DVC will fit your lifestyle. Just being honest with you. Don't want you to get into something you regret.

Plus what do you need DVC for? Your parents have a big house in Kissimmee! Save yourself thousands and stay with them. That is what I would do.

1985 DL, 1989 DL, 2001 DL, 2003 WDW, 2004 DL, 2005 WDW, 2006 WDW, 2008 CSR, 2009 AKV-K, 2010 BLT, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 Aulani, 2013 DL, 2013 SSR, 2013 VGF.
bakenatj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #32
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are on a 5 year plan for the house. And that couldn't happen for a very important but personal reason. Thank you though. And I honestly have no idea how this thread became all about buying a house. I feel like homeowners think they are better than non homeowners. You do not know my situation. You do not know the circumstances. And yet you are judging me for wanting to buy a timeshare before we commit to buying a home. We almost did buy a home a few years ago but the deal fell threw. But it worked out as I lost my job shortly after. I have been a stay at home mom ever since. DH is the sole provider for us. The houses here are not like the houses in other parts of the country. We don't want to pay a lot of money for a box. We want to pay a lot of money for our dream home. My inlaws gave us the opportunity to save for that dream home. We can afford to to buy DVC right now as well as a box for a home. We don't want to do that. So why is it a problem that we buy DVC and save for our dream home at the same time? As we travel no matter what. We just wanted to know if buying DVC would save us money when we travel. Because that is what we do; save money for our dream home.
It's funny, I gave my original response before reading through all the previous responses.

And I am certainly in the camp that believes that one should buy a house first. It has nothing to do with homeowners being 'better' at all. It just that homeowners know that there are costs to owning a home that may make keeping a DVC membership difficult so our suggestion is more about layering your debt so that your are sure you can afford homeownership AND the costs of not only owning DVC but going on an expensive vacation each and every year.

No, we don't know your financial situation. But you must see a theme here that no matter where we are all from (and everyone on this forum is from somewhere different) our experience says house first. I for one, think my location is probably a lot like yours....I live in the Bay Area, California. Prices are high. But by my waiting to spend my money on luxuries, I own two houses (one is now a rental) and we have our DVC and I too am a stay at home mom (though I wasn't when we were working towards what we currently have).

Again, just advice, and good luck with your decision.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #33
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakenatj View Post
Don't mean to sound rude, but it sounds to me like you might not be happy with DVC. If your husband doesn't like buses and he doesn't want to drive, and he hates the boats. Your family isn't going to be happy at a lot of DVC resorts. Plus you're not sure if you will be able to book 7 months out and you are going to travel when schools are out. Just doesn't sound like DVC will fit your lifestyle. Just being honest with you. Don't want you to get into something you regret.

Plus what do you need DVC for? Your parents have a big house in Kissimmee! Save yourself thousands and stay with them. That is what I would do.
And if you can't plan a DVC trip a seven months out, RCI will be even harder to get at six months or less. So you probably want to cross that off your list. And cruising on points will require even more notification.

For holiday periods, you really have to book your DVC stay at 11 months out or close to that. Otherwise, you will always be at SSR or OKW or AKV where you will be stuck driving to the parks or riding the bus. If you want BCV or BWV or BLT, you really need to own there and book at 11 months out.

Why not just book for cash when you can?

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOFY D View Post
Do many people do this? Even when we drive to Disney, we never drive to the parks. We use Disney transportation almost 100%. The only exception may be if we drive down to the Boardwalk as the bus transfers can be a pain sometimes from some resorts. I would also not add the cost of a car rental when Disney provides transportation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
I do. I generally only let Disney do the driving to MK (about half the time) or when I'm planning a second BEvERage that evening. I will only completely skip a car if I'm staying in the EP area, or am taking an "extra" budget trip.
We've transitioned into this. We relied solely on Disney transportation before and didn't "hate" it, it definitely serves its purpose. But for our upcoming Boardwalk stay, we decided that for $100 for a seven-day rental, we'd love to have the option of driving straight to resorts for meals or to DTD. We'll likely take the bus to MK except for the morning we have an early breakfast at Kona (we'll valet the car there instead).
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #35
lodge
DIS Veteran

sent a PM to OP instead

Last edited by lodge; 01-24-2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: discussion got off track
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #36
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer

If you have trouble planning your trips consistently at 8+ months then the best choice for you is......(drum roll, please).....

Saratoga Springs!

Once that 7 month window opens a point is a point is a point, regardless where the home resort is. So if you imagine you will be booking within the 7 month window it makes NO sense to buy anywhere other than SSR.

SSR has cheap resale points and low maintenance fees. It is the best deal in terms of raw point cost.

The reason other resorts sell for more is because people want to stay there and not at SSR, but if you're booking within 7 months you will give up that right and the premium you pay when you join will be worthless.
Jasonkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #37
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
If you have trouble planning your trips consistently at 8+ months then the best choice for you is......(drum roll, please).....

Saratoga Springs!

Once that 7 month window opens a point is a point is a point, regardless where the home resort is. So if you imagine you will be booking within the 7 month window it makes NO sense to buy anywhere other than SSR.

SSR has cheap resale points and low maintenance fees. It is the best deal in terms of raw point cost.

The reason other resorts sell for more is because people want to stay there and not at SSR, but if you're booking within 7 months you will give up that right and the premium you pay when you join will be worthless.
And you will always drive or ride a bus to the theme parks.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #38
bakenatj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
I can totally relate to the transportation dislikes expressed and it affected our choice of resorts. We don't like the buses either, especially with strollers. Granted that stage is NOT forever, but for a few years, it is EXTREMELY hard for OUR situation.

The same goes for the boats that don't allow the stroller to be walked on (needs folded up). Without going into details, this is TOUGH too! Not everyone is disabled enough to need the ramp lowered on the buses or can't navigate the certain type boats, but these factors are legitimate to those who have trouble in those areas.

though not OP, here's my responses to this (in red)
Okay I will spell it out in black in white. People who like it their way or no way aren't typically good DVC members. They are the ones that are in line at check-in yelling at the castmembers while everyone is

The point everyone is trying to make (nicely, expect me of course) is that you have to be flexible. If you don't like buses, boats or cars, your options are very limited. That is all....don't read into it to much. Sorry to be blunt.

1985 DL, 1989 DL, 2001 DL, 2003 WDW, 2004 DL, 2005 WDW, 2006 WDW, 2008 CSR, 2009 AKV-K, 2010 BLT, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 Aulani, 2013 DL, 2013 SSR, 2013 VGF.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #39
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
If you don't like buses, boats or cars, your options are very limited.
Until we get that whole transporter technology figured out, at least.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #40
bakenatj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well....I heard that Disney has hired Spock and Sheldon Cooper to work on that for them. Part of the Magic + experience.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #41
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
so you're saying SSR owners will get the teleporters first?

it figures. OKW owners like me don't want our molecules scattered by some newfangled gizmo...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #42
lodge
DIS Veteran

see above

Last edited by lodge; 01-24-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: see above
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #43
bakenatj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
If you saw my condition you might, instead, be empathetic. Or maybe not.

Not everyone who aren't able to easily adjust to certain conditions are the "ones" who yell at anyone. I, myself, wouldn't "yell" at someone for anything.

I'm a VERY good DVC member and quite flexible, thank you. (makes me laugh)
If someone has a limiting physical condition that is one thing, and yes I have great sympathy for those who do. It's another thing for people who are...well.....think they are owed everything....you know what I mean??

I am not trying to lump you in that category. I'm sure you are a wonderful member.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #44
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakenatj View Post
Okay I will spell it out in black in white. People who like it their way or no way aren't typically good DVC members. They are the ones that are in line at check-in yelling at the castmembers while everyone is

The point everyone is trying to make (nicely, expect me of course) is that you have to be flexible. If you don't like buses, boats or cars, your options are very limited. That is all....don't read into it to much. Sorry to be blunt.
I respectfully disagree. Please count me among the group that cannot stand Disney transportation (one too many times spending 45 minutes waiting for a bus will do that to you) yet has never yelled at cast members. . Joking aside, though, I am a person who likes it my way and yet I have found a system that gets me my way without having to get upset. I own at BLT and BWV. I do split stays and walk to three out of the four parks. I take a bus if I want to go to AK (one out of every three trips) and that one bus ride per trip is perfectly pleasant, because I know it's my only one. So while I agree that you should be flexible when staying at Disney, you can manage some of that flexibility on your own.

Last edited by ELMC; 01-24-2013 at 05:12 PM.
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #45
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
We've transitioned into this. We relied solely on Disney transportation before and didn't "hate" it, it definitely serves its purpose. But for our upcoming Boardwalk stay, we decided that for $100 for a seven-day rental, we'd love to have the option of driving straight to resorts for meals or to DTD. We'll likely take the bus to MK except for the morning we have an early breakfast at Kona (we'll valet the car there instead).
We actually used the transportation at first, years ago. DH rebelled and refused to ride any more boats or buses. Since joining DVC we have gone back to using the transportation. We still drive if we are going to DTD and maybe dinner at a resort hotel.

Don't forget that if you have TIW you get valet parking FOR FREE!!
Just don't forget to show them your dinner reciept and tip the valet!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: