DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
icydog
DIS Veteran

Is it worth it to buy a small Developer Contract for Member Cruise?

Background: I sold all my points in 2010. I bought most of them back from resellers but I lost those few DVC perks that came from buying directly from Disney.

But I really did like the member cruise and there's no way to get on without having a few developer points. You don't need to use your points on the member cruise but you do need to be a direct point owner. Hence, my question, is it worthwhile to buy a 25 point contract just so I can take the member cruise?
icydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
lodge
DIS Veteran

It's a totally personal thing. I wouldn't, but that's me. It would depend on cost also. Is several thousand dollars worth a higher cost cruise (the member cruises cost more)? What is your motivation about the cruise... to join family or friends? Did you do them prior and miss them now that you sold? Write it all out and see what your own typing tells you about where you stand.
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I went on the Jan 10 Member Cruise & thought it was one of my best cruises ever. Yes, they cost more. I don't use/need most of the gifts, but the special guests and in this last cruise, the Broadway and Beyond show made it especially worthwhile.

Best wishes as you decide!

Bobbi
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydog View Post
Background: I sold all my points in 2010. I bought most of them back from resellers but I lost those few DVC perks that came from buying directly from Disney.

But I really did like the member cruise and there's no way to get on without having a few developer points. You don't need to use your points on the member cruise but you do need to be a direct point owner. Hence, my question, is it worthwhile to buy a 25 point contract just so I can take the member cruise?
I agree, it's a personal decision. I would suspect there will be other benefits going forward if one has qualified points but whether it's worth the $2500 investment is hard to say though it's unlikely to be from a financial standpoint.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Can someone please spell out the differences between a Member cruise and a typical Disney cruise? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC
Can someone please spell out the differences between a Member cruise and a typical Disney cruise? Thanks!
Friends of ours do it every year now. They told us they have diff voice talents over the years and other guests from Disney.

I am prob wrong but I thought this year you had to use all points. U couldn't split points and cash? I know in the past they paid split costs cause they were short on points but I thought that changed last year or this year?

Jim

Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
Friends of ours do it every year now. They told us they have diff voice talents over the years and other guests from Disney.

I am prob wrong but I thought this year you had to use all points. U couldn't split points and cash? I know in the past they paid split costs cause they were short on points but I thought that changed last year or this year?

Jim
There were 3 of us in my room, we all used cash.

Bobbi
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
goofygurlie
Wag and the world wags with you...Howl and they put you outside.

Hubby and I paid cash, too. I am a new member and I thoroughly enjoyed my first member cruise in January.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am prob wrong but I thought this year you had to use all points.
You can pay cash provided that some of your points were purchased directly from Disney or some of your resale points are grandfathered. If you own only resale points that were purchased after the rules changed, then you cannot go on the member cruise at all, even by paying cash.

They've changed it from a Member Cruise to a Direct Purchase Member or Grandfathered Resale Member Cruise.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

I do not agree with the premise that only direct DVC members have access to a member's cruise. I have written them about my feelings and they have a right to offer any kind of cruise they want.....I will just never take one...and all 210 points I have are direct. Glad the members had a good time though.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
I do not agree with the premise that only direct DVC members have access to a member's cruise. I have written them about my feelings and they have a right to offer any kind of cruise they want.....I will just never take one...and all 210 points I have are direct. Glad the members had a good time though.
I don't get what the big deal is about using resale points for the member's cruise. resale people are still "members". it's almost like "you aren't cool enough to sit at this table" kinda mentality. they can say you can't use ur points cause they are resale but you would have to pay cash. that's fine with me, but not letting someone participate in a member event is just unfair i feel. i have lots of friends that go on it each year and would like to join them.

jim
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't get what the big deal is about using resale points for the member's cruise. resale people are still "members". it's almost like "you aren't cool enough to sit at this table" kinda mentality. they can say you can't use ur points cause they are resale but you would have to pay cash. that's fine with me, but not letting someone participate in a member event is just unfair i feel. i have lots of friends that go on it each year and would like to join them.

jim
I understand how you feel, and if it is that much of an issue for you, maybe you should but a 25 point contract direct. Perhaps that's what Disney had in mind...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I understand how you feel, and if it is that much of an issue for you, maybe you should but a 25 point contract direct. Perhaps that's what Disney had in mind...
i prop will end up doing that cause it will at least be a few more points for the future, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I understand taking places away to stay. thats fine, but taking away a member activity just cause u didn't buy from them is being told u are not a member and welcome to me. i would just like to be able to cruise with my friends that r members. it would kinda be like years ago when the wdcc conventions were still going on.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

You know, though, that once you close on the small direct contract, they will change the rules and require the first guest to use points. And you won't have enough of those.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You know, though, that once you close on the small direct contract, they will change the rules and require the first guest to use points. And you won't have enough of those.
Yeah, I thought about that too. But hey, it's their ball, it's their playground. They get to make the rules. But it's situations like this that reinforce what many on here have said...buy DVC to stay at DVC resorts (specifically your home resort) and you (most likely) won't be disappointed by any of the changes they make.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: