Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #271
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

That's very interesting about the WoC view. So, depending on whether you end up heading left or heading right when you get off of the elevator at the PPH, the view of WoC would be much worse or better!

The RFC photographer must have been around the last time I ate there, but in a totally different section of the restaurant. I never saw a photographer, darn it!

One of the details I love that I'd bet a lot of people never see (even though it is very large) is the Mickey icon on the pavement of the Mickey & Friends lot. I'm not sure if those Mickey icons are etched on the pavement on every level or only on some levels, but they're so large and seemingly obvious that I think a lot of people just walk over them and don't realize what's right under their feet!

I also love the small nautical details around the PPH hallways, like the fisherman's netting over the lamp (with the wooden surfboard base) in the waiting area for the elevators. All of these little details and touches add to the themes that Disney does so well, but I suppose that many folks take them for granted. Then again, many folks probably think the oil stains on the ground in Cars Land are real oil stains, instead of deliberately placed oil stains added for effect!

I forgot to ask you - do you have an idea or a visual in your mind of where the Anaheim Marriott is in relation to DLR? I can't picture where it is.

The reason I ask is that my friend (who, coincidentally, lives in Oregon too!) is bringing his son and wife down to DLR in a couple of weeks and they're staying at the Marriott. He said it "looked close" to DLR on the map he examined, but he wasn't sure if it was as close as it appeared to be. Is it walkable, I wonder? Why do I think that it's not that close?

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #272
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
That's very interesting about the WoC view. So, depending on whether you end up heading left or heading right when you get off of the elevator at the PPH, the view of WoC would be much worse or better!

The RFC photographer must have been around the last time I ate there, but in a totally different section of the restaurant. I never saw a photographer, darn it!

One of the details I love that I'd bet a lot of people never see (even though it is very large) is the Mickey icon on the pavement of the Mickey & Friends lot. I'm not sure if those Mickey icons are etched on the pavement on every level or only on some levels, but they're so large and seemingly obvious that I think a lot of people just walk over them and don't realize what's right under their feet!

I also love the small nautical details around the PPH hallways, like the fisherman's netting over the lamp (with the wooden surfboard base) in the waiting area for the elevators. All of these little details and touches add to the themes that Disney does so well, but I suppose that many folks take them for granted. Then again, many folks probably think the oil stains on the ground in Cars Land are real oil stains, instead of deliberately placed oil stains added for effect!

I forgot to ask you - do you have an idea or a visual in your mind of where the Anaheim Marriott is in relation to DLR? I can't picture where it is.

The reason I ask is that my friend (who, coincidentally, lives in Oregon too!) is bringing his son and wife down to DLR in a couple of weeks and they're staying at the Marriott. He said it "looked close" to DLR on the map he examined, but he wasn't sure if it was as close as it appeared to be. Is it walkable, I wonder? Why do I think that it's not that close?
Yup.....which is something I will remember the next time I book. I will ask for the low #'s on which ever floor I'm on. (9002, 1004, 1106, etc) You have a better view of the projections and the stuff up on CA Screamin'.

The thing that makes Disney special IS how detail oriented they are. It's not a building that's decked out inside.....it's decked out from the sidewalk, landscaping, doors, windows, etc. For the people that run from one attraction to the next....need to go to Knotts or 6 Flags. Disney is special and I'd rather be surrounded by other people that appreciate that.

The Anaheim Marriott would not be close enough to walk in my book. It's listed on google maps as a 30 minute walk. It's blocks away from Katella and a few blocks off Harbor. If they are planning on walking....they need to reconsider.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #273
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

The slides at DLH Pool looks so cool

Glad the food at Rainforest Cafe was good

Love all the baskets and cake you ordered. That was very nice of you
Old 03-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #274
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
The slides at DLH Pool looks so cool

Glad the food at Rainforest Cafe was good

Love all the baskets and cake you ordered. That was very nice of you
The slides & pool do look nice.....but I do miss the crocodile and boat of the "Neverland Pool".

(photo courtesy of Google Images since I didn't want to go back and find mine.....lol)

I think if you pick & chose at the Rainforest Cafe you'll be ok.....stay away from the ribs, chicken, pasta, etc. I think their menu is too big and so you get so-so food because of it.

The baskets were a fun surprise and I've always wanted to order a Disney cake.....at least now if I want to do something like that for a birthday, I'll know what to expect and how much it will run.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013

Old 03-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #275
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Laurie -

Thanks for your reply about the Anaheim Marriott. I agree - I think that my friend from Oregon thinks it is closer than it is and the walk would be too much for going to and from Disneyland. I am guessing he must have gotten some sort of discount there, and that's why he chose that hotel. Maybe they have a shuttle.

I am thinking that's why I couldn't get a real picture in my mind of where the Marriott was in relation to DLR. Maybe it was far enough away that I've probably never passed directly by it (in a car) on my way to or from the parks? Who knows? In any case, it's not that close!

You know, it's funny you just posted that photo of the crocodile and ship at the Neverland pool above ^^ from Google Images. Yesterday you mentioned your 2009 trip and I was thinking, "Did I read that report?" I usually follow all of your reports, even if I am just silently subscribed and not speaking up much. But I couldn't recall the 2009 trip off the top of my head.

So I went to check out your 2009 TR and flipped through it (and then I remembered that you and Mike stayed at the DLH while the kids were staying elsewhere - I was subscribed to that TR but it seems so long ago that the trip took place!). Seeing all of your pictures of the Disneyland Hotel in its former state was great - but it made me a bit sad. I know they have to change and evolve, and make space for different things. And there are aspects of the 'new' DLH that like - but the old, old DLH was really cool. Back in the '80s and '90s it felt like a real "resort hotel" - a place where you could really spend the whole day if you didn't want to go in the parks. There used to be more restaurants and many more interesting shops.

Like you, I miss the waterfalls and the koi ponds most of all, though. Those two elements made the whole hotel feel more lush and tropical. It was nice to walk behind the 'falls and catch a bit of the spray on a hot summer afternoon. And that water was always an interesting shade of green, wasn't it?!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Old 03-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #276
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Laurie -

Thanks for your reply about the Anaheim Marriott. I agree - I think that my friend from Oregon thinks it is closer than it is and the walk would be too much for going to and from Disneyland. I am guessing he must have gotten some sort of discount there, and that's why he chose that hotel. Maybe they have a shuttle.

I am thinking that's why I couldn't get a real picture in my mind of where the Marriott was in relation to DLR. Maybe it was far enough away that I've probably never passed directly by it (in a car) on my way to or from the parks? Who knows? In any case, it's not that close!

You know, it's funny you just posted that photo of the crocodile and ship at the Neverland pool above ^^ from Google Images. Yesterday you mentioned your 2009 trip and I was thinking, "Did I read that report?" I usually follow all of your reports, even if I am just silently subscribed and not speaking up much. But I couldn't recall the 2009 trip off the top of my head.

So I went to check out your 2009 TR and flipped through it (and then I remembered that you and Mike stayed at the DLH while the kids were staying elsewhere - I was subscribed to that TR but it seems so long ago that the trip took place!). Seeing all of your pictures of the Disneyland Hotel in its former state was great - but it made me a bit sad. I know they have to change and evolve, and make space for different things. And there are aspects of the 'new' DLH that like - but the old, old DLH was really cool. Back in the '80s and '90s it felt like a real "resort hotel" - a place where you could really spend the whole day if you didn't want to go in the parks. There used to be more restaurants and many more interesting shops.

Like you, I miss the waterfalls and the koi ponds most of all, though. Those two elements made the whole hotel feel more lush and tropical. It was nice to walk behind the 'falls and catch a bit of the spray on a hot summer afternoon. And that water was always an interesting shade of green, wasn't it?!
Hopefully they offer a shuttle, otherwise he's gonna be forking out hefty parking fees....... I've never seen it myself and we've drove down to Target on Harbor.....and since this one sits far off Harbor.....I don't think it's actually one you would see???

I miss the retro feel of the DLH. It's got some neat additions with the tiki bar/restaurant, the monorail slides and the grounds are beautiful........but they've reduced down their old pics of celebrities that had stayed there and I figure at some point they'll take down the huge display of old Disneyland/Mickey toys & souvenirs. (that will make me very sad if they do) I have no idea if they displayed those pics elsewhere in the hotel.....but that was such a huge part of the beginning years of Disneyland that it's a shame they feel they no longer need to celebrate it. The old bedspreads weren't the prettiest in color......but having the different rides on them, made them special. I would LOVE to have one!!! I'm also sorry they went with the dark wood motif in the rooms.......a warm oak would have been nice. Then each hotel would have offered a different feel. Oh well.......it is what it is.

When we stayed (our whopping 2 nights).....we spent an entire afternoon walking the grounds, the hotel and swimming. One of my favorite memories of that trip!!! Glad we splurged and did that before all the construction happened. Those are retro memories they won't be able to take from me!!

Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #277
DizNee Luver

As promised, here are the items from the gift baskets we had delivered to our room by Vacation Planning.

My basket included a Mickey lunch tote, bottle of water, bag of pretzels, 2 chocolate bars, Chip & Dale treats (like Goldfish crackers but in the shape of Mickey heads), a bag of Goofy spiral suckers, Mickey Shortbread Rounds (cookies) & a keychain.

Nick & Marie's Wedding Toast basket included a plush Groom Mickey and Bride Minnie that plays the wedding march (I think that was the song.......). It also had a white chocolate champagne bottle with jelly bellys inside.

The Coffee Lovers Basket included a can of Mickey coffee, chocolate covered coffee beans, Mickey Shortbread Rounds, a tin of chocolate mints and the Mickey travel mugs. (the basket comes with one with the option of adding a 2nd mug)

We got up early to head to Disneyland for our Minnie & Friends breakfast reservation. We had a 9:10 reservation with the parking opening at 9am for Magic Mornings......so the lines were LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG when we got there. Luckily, they use Gate 1 just for guests with reservations at Minnie & Friends (and also for tours). So our time in line was pretty short. We headed down Main Street and got stuck in a large crowd waiting for rope drop.

Once the rope dropped and the people were off & running......we made our way to the Plaza Inn to check in.

Once checked in, you go up the stairs to the porch to have your photo done by the Photopass Photographers (for your portrait package). We realized we had forgotten the Photopass+ card and even with Nick having the picture on his phone of our card....we would not be able to get our package until we brought the card back to the photo shop on Main Street. Heavy sigh....... These were taken on my camera.

We were shown to our table and while Nick & Marie went to get their breakfast, I took pictures from the seating area we were in.

Characters will be coming up next!!

Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #278
DizNee Luver

Suzy from Cinderella came by when Nick & Marie were gone, so we didn't get to do pics with her....but she did pose for me!!

Minnie also came by and I got one of the CM's/busboys to take my picture with her.

I didn't take a lot of food pics.....I did take a shot of my breakfast.

When Nick went thru the hot food line, they misunderstood him and thought he wanted everything......we have NO CLUE what this was??? It was hard and all clumped together.......

Chip came by for a visit.

Our funnest interaction had to be with Captain Hook. He was not happy Nick had pirate pins but none of him!!

Hook grabbed my hand and was trying to maneuver my wedding ring off my finger.....lol

Minnie came back so I could get a picture of Marie and Nick with her!!

We saw Dale, but he ended up heading the opposite direction so we never got a picture with him. We waited for Tigger to make it to our table (since he was in the area).

I will say up front....this is not my favorite place for food. I've never been impressed with what we've got. If you want to wait in line, you can get a freshly made omelet.....but at character meals.....you could miss out on a lot doing this. The hot food is less than desirable. I love bacon....I mean, who doesn't??? This bacon is so thinly sliced it doesn't have any flavor.....you'd never know it was bacon if doing a blind tasting....just sayin' BUT~~~~this is a wonderful meal for seeing characters. This was the least amount of characters we've seen at this meal (but it was also a slow time).....we've seen upward to 14 characters in our 90 minute time limit. It's also one of the cheapest character meals.....so is it worth it??? YES!

Minnie & Friends Character Breakfast for 3 adults, with tax & tip included and the Premium Annual Pass Discount ran us~~$66.06

After breakfast, we decided we needed to head back to the hotel and pick up our Photopass+ card.

We decided to go to DCA and so we entered the park through the Grand Californian Hotel's entrance.

Grizzly River had water running through it again (it had been down for refurbishment and would be closed today as well).

Old 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #279
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Arrrggghhhh. Stupid Internet is acting up, so I will zoom through comments...

Love love love the idea of the white chocolate champagne bottle!

It's a shame you guys didn't have the PhotoPass+ card with you at Minnie & Friends! That would have bummed me out too.

The photos of you, Nick and Marie together outside the restaurant are so cute!

I never cease to be amazed at how beautiful the interior of the Plaza Inn is - it really is a gorgeous restaurant. And that is yet another thing that I'll bet a lot of people don't notice -- or they take it for granted!

I love the chandelier pictures - especially the second one that is more close-up. What an elegant fixture it is!

Seeing the PPH building in your photo makes me start to miss it. Usually I don't really begin to get a strong yearning to go back and stay onsite until summer, which is when I start thinking about planning my Fall/holiday trips. But looking at your photo I am reminded of seeing the PPH across the street, coming from the short cut through the GCH, and I'm thinking, "I wish I were staying there now!"

Old 03-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #280
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Arrrggghhhh. Stupid Internet is acting up, so I will zoom through comments...

Love love love the idea of the white chocolate champagne bottle!

It's a shame you guys didn't have the PhotoPass+ card with you at Minnie & Friends! That would have bummed me out too.

The photos of you, Nick and Marie together outside the restaurant are so cute!

I never cease to be amazed at how beautiful the interior of the Plaza Inn is - it really is a gorgeous restaurant. And that is yet another thing that I'll bet a lot of people don't notice -- or they take it for granted!

I love the chandelier pictures - especially the second one that is more close-up. What an elegant fixture it is!

Seeing the PPH building in your photo makes me start to miss it. Usually I don't really begin to get a strong yearning to go back and stay onsite until summer, which is when I start thinking about planning my Fall/holiday trips. But looking at your photo I am reminded of seeing the PPH across the street, coming from the short cut through the GCH, and I'm thinking, "I wish I were staying there now!"
I thought the bottle was cute too!!

It was an inconvenience forgetting the photopass+ card.....but we were able to get our photo package later.....once we had the card in hand!

Usually the restaurant is pretty full when we go, so having that entire area empty (just long enough for me to take pictures) was a bonus this time. The details are amazing!!

I really have been spoiled these last few trips.....what am I going to do next time?? Pretty doubtful the resort hotels will even be an option. I will treasure the stays we did get!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #281
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Plaza Inn looks gorgeous and so elegant inside. Love it

Shame the food is not that great, but sounds like a reasonable price

That is funny about capt hook being upset
Old 03-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #282
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
Plaza Inn looks gorgeous and so elegant inside. Love it

Shame the food is not that great, but sounds like a reasonable price

That is funny about capt hook being upset
It's pretty....the meal is supposedly close to the Crystal Palace meal at WDW. I guess for some reason, I figured the restaurant was the same style??

I've never been a fan of the food here, but we always have a good time with the characters.

Hook is becoming one of my favorites.....he's very playful!!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #283
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

The Plaza Inn Character breakfast looked great! I'm so glad you were able to get your photo package later with your PP+ card.

I'm enjoying your trip report. Thank you for sharing.

tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #284
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
The Plaza Inn Character breakfast looked great! I'm so glad you were able to get your photo package later with your PP+ card.

I'm enjoying your trip report. Thank you for sharing.

I'm glad too......I like getting them for the memories!!

Thank you for reading!!!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #285
DizDad of 7
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
I forgot to mention that right after I got off the airplane in Santa Ana.....I got a voice mail from the twins teacher. I figured it had to be important since she knew I was out of town. Michayla had darted out the door and they yelled for her to come back & she whipped around and gouged her forehead on a coat hook. Poor baby.......

She still has a knot and bruising and it will be a week tomorrow. Made me sad that she got hurt and I wasn't there.

And the 1st picture is Derek trying to hold her still for my pathetic camera phone (not a choke hold lol). Used my camera from accross the room for the other two
DizDad of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: