Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

What is it about Castaway Cay?

I've been reading the Cruise boards for a while now and am super excited to have booked our very first cruise yesterday!! Wheee!!

My question is, what makes Castaway Cay so amazing? Consistently here and other places I read people rave about CC.

What is your favourite part of CC? My DD will be celebrating her 5th Birthday during our cruise.

Looking forward to hearing all about it as I know it's got lots to offer!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Mauierlyn
Earning My Ears

You get Disney service in a topical setting. Everything is so easy going, all your rentals are on island time ( meaning take your time). There is something for everyone. The BBQ is awesome, just an all around great time. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Mauierlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

It's a beautiful beach and set up to be as easy as possible, compared to say if we went to an East Coast beach on our own.

Chairs & umbrellas are already set up.
There are chaise lounge type chairs and the small, close to the ground type chairs you can put right in the surf.
BBQ (gas grill) lunch included with non-alcoholic drinks & desserts.
Souvenir shops near the beach & you can use your KTTW card.
Pelican Plunge, water slides
Lots of excursions: parasailing, jetskiing, stingray meet, snorkeling, bike rentals, kayaking, sailing, pedal boats, fishing trips, & many more.
Adult-only beach area too with it's own lunch area.

We've been fortunate to always have beautiful weather there. Some windy days where water sports are cancelled but still a nice time. If weather is bad enough, it's possible that docking is not safe and they have to skip it as a port stop. I'm not sure what % of cruises can't dock but just saying it's not guaranteed.

ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I'm not really a beach person, and CC is the easiest beach I've ever seen/done. You WALK from the ship (no tender). You can go back to the ship at any time.

They hand you towels as you leave the pier area, so you are carrying some "stuff" especially if you bring your own snorkel gear. There's a tram either waiting or coming within a few minutes. Get to the beach and you'll find chairs and umbrellas waiting for you. Don't see one? Walk just a little farther down the beach. There are cement/paved type paths to make walking easier along the "service" area where you'll find restrooms, outdoor showers, FOOD, and music/game places.

Want to swim or snorkel but you have to watch the kids? That's what the programming is for. No kids? That's the adult beach. It is just as easy as a beach day can be...and beautiful...and DCL level service. Truly lives up to their slogan from years ago--take the magic of Disney and just add water.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Want to swim or snorkel but you have to watch the kids? That's what the programming is for.
That's really good to know. I've snorkeled in the past and really enjoyed it but my DD will not have the swimming skills to do this. It's nice to know there is an option to let her play in the kids programming while I try snorkeling again!

Is snorkeling included in the costs of the cruise or is there a charge for equipment rental?

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We live near the coast and I dread going to the beach here because of everything we [I] need to carry when we go. At CC we only take a small bag with camera and maybe a book, and the towels they pass out on the pier. We don't need to carry the chairs, shade, food or drinks. There are bathrooms closeby and the water is relatively shallow and there isn't the rip current we need to watch out for here, so the kids can enjoy the water and I can relax a bit.

You can rent snorkle equipment at CC or take your own.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Jcmh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner

They hand you towels as you leave the pier area, so you are carrying some "stuff" especially if you bring your own snorkel gear. .
Are towels available later or elsewhere on CC? Or do you need to gather as many as you think you'll need as you are leaving the ship?
Jcmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Disney Legend
Earning My Ears

1) Island in the ocean. Very cool.
2) Very, very safe.
3) Ship, very close.
4) No one asks you to buy stuff and says "hello, my friend!"
5) You will probably never see the same people again in your life.
6) You wonder, "now, who lives on this island?"
7) Jet skiing is harder than it looks (waves) but they don't laugh at you.
8) Food. Food. Food.
9) Super nice people in lost and found and they don't laugh at you.
10) Eat on the beach and move lawn chairs and no one yells at you.
11) No cabs anywhere on the island.
12) Runway but no planes.
13) You can rent a bike ride around.
14) You can swim in the ocean and not worry about the "jellies", "mon".
Disney Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Dave Dizney
Super-Duper organized Ultimate Disney Fan!
And Travel Channel Television Star!
Possibly a hitchhiking ghost...

This...
Dave Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Nice picture of all the clean (groomed) white sand. Disney keeps the island in pristine condition.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves
We live near the coast and I dread going to the beach here because of everything we need to carry when we go. At CC we only take a small bag with camera and maybe a book, and the towels they pass out on the pier. We don't need to carry the chairs, shade, food or drinks. There are bathrooms closeby and the water is relatively shallow and there isn't the rip current we need to watch out for here, so the kids can enjoy the water and I can relax a bit.

You can rent snorkle equipment at CC or take your own.
This.

Since we've taken two double dips, we've been to CC 9 times (have never been unable to dock, although came real close not being able to once) & this is what DH always says. We live in Tampa and are 45-60 min to so many beautiful breathtaking Gulf coast beaches (Anna Maria Island tops my list!!!), but we go once maybe twice a year because of all of the schlepping. CC is beautiful. Hammocks, chairs, loungers, umbrellas are already set up. It's clean & pristine.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Magic x2 - Mar Western, June Scandinavia ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/repo B2B ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
jeffrey66
Earning My Ears

We experienced CC for the first time last year. I thought it was the best day of the cruise. The weather was perfect and we had a day with no excursions planned. We rented the tubes and snorkles. My DS and I saw a lot of fish while snorkling and just enjoyed the water and sand. I changed to the later dining for our upcoming trip because last year we had to cut short our time at CC for our early dinner. Cant wait to go back in about 4 months.
jeffrey66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
Wenawen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Legend View Post
2) Very, very safe.
3) Ship, very close.
8) Food. Food. Food.
I am not worried about jellies-I have watched Jaws too many times. I am convinced that a shark is waiting for me.

Wenawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
TIGGER/POOH4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Legend View Post
2) Very, very safe.
3) Ship, very close.
8) Food. Food. Food.
I agree totally. I will qualify the last point. We have encountered on several occasions on CC (8 stops), Sea Lice which are jelly fish larvae. They leave quite a sting. We started using Sea Safe and have not been bothered since.
Oct 2011 DCL Eastern, Jun 2012 DCL Western
Jun 2013 DCL Eastern, Jun 2014 DCL Western

TIGGER/POOH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenawen View Post
I am not worried about jellies-I have watched Jaws too many times. I am convinced that a shark is waiting for me.
DCL thought of that too. Disney does not like bad publicity. Feeding children to sharks would look really bad. There is a shark fence around the whole family beach.
I discovered that while waiting to board in the PC terminal of our 1st Disney cruise. Over near the cartoons playing there is art on the wall, sketches, etc. One sketch shows aerial view of CC with labels one of which is a shark fence. You can also see it on Google maps.

ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: