Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #31
zxrst
Earning My Ears

$300 a month might not be that much but if you can put the money in a mutual fund like Fidelity index 500, which averages 9.5% return yearly since inception, you would have had $610K in 30 years! Even if you take a more modest return (6%), you would still come out with $310K.

The other problem with all these tax increase is that the cutoff brackets are not inflation-ajustable. A 60K job in 1992 would pay you 100K right now based on the inflation adjusted buying power. Majority of the middle class families would cross the top bracket in the next 20-30 years.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #32
rsschneck
DIS Party Bus Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyATlast

If it doesn't apply to you then I don't know how it would be offensive. Obviously not all or even most rich people are greedy, but if you are rich and greedy then I think it's a pretty fitting and funny saying.
I'm not a minority but racism offends me. I'm not gay but anti-gay comments offend me. People in glass houses should not throw stones. You are making a huge accusation about people that you don't know and that is offensive.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #33
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer

I don't really care if someone who is rich and greedy to the point that they feel they should be exempt from taxes is offended.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #34
diz4ever
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyATlast
Are you surprised that people who make the most are the ones complaining?
And it's not only those that make the most are the ones complaining. A lot of people forgot that the 2% was temporary and that along with increased health costs hits everyone. You tend to make sweeping generalizations which is offensive whether its about "rich people" or any other portion of society.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #35
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

Tax brackets and other features of the tax code are indexed to the Consumer Price Index.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #36
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolmom View Post
Who says that?
I agree. Not true. Most wealthy people are very generous. Just because they're not giving to the poster you quoted doesn't mean they're not giving. I see it.

We are a two income household who is "losing" $300/month. DH hits the threshold every year. I do not. We live in a high cost of living area. Here's the example I give: If we lived in Omaha and make what we make, we'd be living like we were wealthy compared to our neighbors. We live in the DC area, so while we live well, we are not living like that. What we have took years to get to. We're 52 and 55. Of course, people forget age, education, work experience all figure into salaries. We haven' always made that much. In fact, I was a SAHM mom for 14 years living on a very tight budget.

Fortunately, with us both working, we have a cushion and while we see the $300 less/mo, we really don't feel it. Now, if we were living on DH's salary alone, the $200/mo that would be coming out of his salary would be noticed a lot more. We do our best to live on his salary and play/save mine.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 01-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #37
DawnM
Dawn

If the cap is $113,000, then the most people will pay is $188.33 per month more, correct?

People are reporting more than that and saying they are seeing $300-$800 taken out of their checks.

There is something wrong then if you are seeing more than that amount taken out.

My husband is an accountant. He is on a backpacking trip in the mountains at the moment without cell service or I would ask him about it.

But I am not quite understanding those of you reporting higher numbers than should be taken out. There is something not right.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #38
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM
If the cap is $113,000, then the most people will pay is $188.33 per month more, correct?

People are reporting more than that and saying they are seeing $300-$800 taken out of their checks.

There is something wrong then if you are seeing more than that amount taken out.

My husband is an accountant. He is on a backpacking trip in the mountains at the moment without cell service or I would ask him about it.

But I am not quite understanding those of you reporting higher numbers than should be taken out. There is something not right.
I think people are adding in cost of healthcare going up, etc. for the amount. Just my guess.
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #39
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post

For people who earn more than $113K annually, their SS tax will be at a rate of 6.2% until they reach a point where they have paid approx. $7K into the fund for the year. After that, their SS deductions go to 0% for the remainder of the year.

The Medicare payroll tax has no income cap. So that amount remains constant throughout the year. It only increases if the amount of the paycheck increase, such as when you work overtime or get a bonus.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #40
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If the cap is $113,000, then the most people will pay is $188.33 per month more, correct? People are reporting more than that and saying they are seeing $300-$800 taken out of their checks.
This might be happening because people are comparing their first paycheck of this year to their last paycheck of last year when they hit the limit and therefore paid much lower SS tax as a result. If they would go back on more paycheck they'd see the mistake they made in the comparison.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #41
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If they made exactly that amount of money then you are correct or is you average the number out over the year. If they made twice that number then they would lose 2x$188 for the first 6 months and then the second six months they would lose $0.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #42
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyATlast View Post
Are you surprised that people who make the most are the ones complaining?
If you are referring to the other big thread on this I didn't see big earners complaining (an I'm not a big earner). The OP of that thread asked about budgets with the tax holiday coming to an end and people were just sharing how much less their checks were..and yes, many also mentioned pay freezes, medical going up, etc. The only complaining I noticed were people who were surprised that folks seemed caught off guard by this since the 2% SS witholding was always meant to be temporary and news of it coming to an end was everywhere for those who pay attention.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #43
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
I wish the government had never given us a tax break, to be honest. I keep hearing people grumble about it as though they had never paid payroll taxes at this rate in their entire lives. It was supposed to be a short-term thing to stimulate the economy. What part of that did people miss?

I'm also in the camp of being offended by certain snarky comments about 'rich' people. I work at a non profit and see those folks being beyond generous with both their money and their time.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #44
DawnM
Dawn

I see. Well, it still couldn't be $800 per month, unless as a PP suggested, they are including health insurance increases.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
If they made exactly that amount of money then you are correct or is you average the number out over the year. If they made twice that number then they would lose 2x$188 for the first 6 months and then the second six months they would lose $0.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #45
DawnM
Dawn

I haven't seen ANYONE rich and greedy here.

Several of your posts do across as offensive as they label people. I don't understand the need to do this.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyATlast View Post
I don't really care if someone who is rich and greedy to the point that they feel they should be exempt from taxes is offended.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: