Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
bstarz40
Earning My Ears

First time pulling more than 100 miles

Hi, This will be my first time comming down to dw. Im looking to see where would be a good stopping point on the way down . I will be leaving the philly area on late friday or early sat. on 2/1, we have res setup for sunday.
bstarz40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

I can't help with your question, but, I wanted to say : Welcome to the camping board and the Wonderful World Of Disney !

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
KristinU
DIS Veteran

It really depends on how you want to chunk out your driving days. We tend to like KOAs for overnights en route...kind of the Applebee's of the campground world, IMHO...not the most spectacular, but you know what you're getting will be satisfactory

I just did a quick google map assessment on the options we'd look at:

Fayetteville/Wade KOA: 7 hours Sat, 8 hours Sun morning
Point South KOA: 10 hours Sat, 5 hours Sun morning
Savannah South KOA: 11 hours Sat, 4 hours Sun morning
Jacksonville North KOA: 12 hours Sat, 3 hours Sun morning

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
sirenia88
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstarz40 View Post
Hi, This will be my first time coming down to DW. I'm looking to see where would be a good stopping point on the way down . I will be leaving the Philly area on late Friday or early sat. on 2/1, we have res setup for Sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
It really depends on how you want to chunk out your driving days. We tend to like KOAs for overnights en route...kind of the Applebee's of the campground world, IMHO...not the most spectacular, but you know what you're getting will be satisfactory

I just did a quick google map assessment on the options we'd look at:

Fayetteville/Wade KOA: 7 hours Sat, 8 hours Sun morning
Point South KOA: 10 hours Sat, 5 hours Sun morning
Savannah South KOA: 11 hours Sat, 4 hours Sun morning
Jacksonville North KOA: 12 hours Sat, 3 hours Sun morning
In October 2012, my family and I stayed at the Savannah South KOA. The staff was very friendly and helpful. KOAs generally have a staff member assist you to your site and help you get parked. Unfortunately, they don't set your trailer up after a long travel day Since we got in pretty late, a little after 9, the staff offered to open up the pool if we wanted to take a quick dip. The camp store was stocked with the usual supplies.

This KOA is easy on/off from I95. It was about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from the exit with excellent access to gas stations for the morning fuel up.

One of the bonuses we experienced at Savannah South was our site's location next to the playground. In the morning while I was getting the trailer ready for travel outside and my wife and mother took care of the inside, my dad took my daughter to the playground. It is amazing how 30 to 40 minutes of play time helped out with the traveling. Another bonus is the travel time to WDW. You are about 4 1/2 hours out at this point.

I wish you luck with journey and hope your trip planning. I hope my mini review helped.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
CDNCruiser
Recreation Professional

We always stay at New Green Acres, Walterboro SC - it's at exit 53.

Long pull-thrus sitting under tall pine trees. Very nice and only $30.00 for a full hook-up with cable TV and free WiFi.

Check their web site . . . it's clean and quiet.
See our Trip Reports at:
http://www.carol-anne.ca/
-
CDNCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
bstarz40
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the suggestions. I think Im going to drive as far as i can on sat. to get as close to fw so on sunday we can get in early as to enjoy fw on sunday and go all out at dw for the rest of the stay. I know it will be hard to find a place to stay the night on a whim, but If we have to can allways get a hotel for the night. or maybee boodock at a wallmart or truckstop. Lifes too short to plan every detail. haha.
bstarz40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
kskone
Mouseketeer

We are also leaving feb 1st from MA. with a stop in St. Augustine for 5 days and then on to the fort for 5 weeks when we leave we have our 1st. stop at Ashland Va. and then the next stop is at Walterboro SC. then on to the sunshine state. as someone stated above The new green acres in Walterboro is an excellent stop over place as we have stayed there many times in the past. One thing you should keep in mind keep a eye on the weather just in case you have to a just your plans because of snow, If you go to www.theweatherchannel.com and put in the city's you will be going thru you can check on the weather as far ahead as ten days out...keep in mind just because its clear in the place you are leaving from doesn't mean you wont hit a snow storm in you travels somewhere in the northern part of your trip! Trust me when I say driving a trailer or motorhome in a snow storm is no fun! been there done that! Have a great time and relax and most of all have fun after all they don't call it the happiest place on earth for nothing... K.
kskone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
sirenia88
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstarz40 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I think Im going to drive as far as i can on sat. to get as close to fw so on sunday we can get in early as to enjoy fw on sunday and go all out at dw for the rest of the stay. I know it will be hard to find a place to stay the night on a whim, but If we have to can allways get a hotel for the night. or maybee boodock at a wallmart or truckstop. Lifes too short to plan every detail. haha.
The one KOA we had going down was a reservation a few days in advance. Since we knew we wanted to stop a certain place and time on the first leg of the trip. The second night was a little iffy. The wife was not interested in parking at a truck stop or a Walmart overnight if it could be avoided. We had thought about the KOA I had previously suggested. We called Savannah South literally 3 hours before our arrival and got a reservation. They even told us they would leave paperwork at the door with a map if we came in after hours and settle up in morning for the bill.

Now if you are feeling strong and want to do it, drive straight thru. FW does have the large lot to park in. They may have your site open and from reading some of the posting around here, will let you park at your site.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
articfox676
Mouseketeer

X2 on KOA. Along I95 they are easy on easy off. We don't unhitch. Just hook up to utilities and put jacks down. In the morning we are on our way quickly.

Safe travels and welcome to the Fort Family. Enjoy the mouse.
articfox676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNCruiser View Post
We always stay at New Green Acres, Walterboro SC - it's at exit 53.

Long pull-thrus sitting under tall pine trees. Very nice and only $30.00 for a full hook-up with cable TV and free WiFi.

Check their web site . . . it's clean and quiet.
Good to have another recommended one up the sleeve, thanks for sharing!

Another one that is good (but too far north for this discussion) is RV Resort at Carolina Crossroads - exit 171 in Roanoke Rapids. Nearly brand new and great setup for overnights.

I should also add that we have stayed at all of the KOAs that I listed and wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them for overnights en route.

And reservations really depend on time of year. We just traveled to Ft. Myers for Christmas and didn't make en route reservations in either directions - just pulled in each night - no problems at all anywhere. Most CGs off of the interstate will have a little check-in board just for this purpose with a list of available sites and envelopes for self registration. KOA will let you pay on the envelope with a credit card number but independent ones might require cash, so good to keep cash on hand....or you might have to wait until the office opens in the morning to pay.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: