DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

Buying DVC

Can anyone please explain the process of buying DVC directly from Disney? I'm also confused about the cost. Thanks!
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,350

Buying points from Disney is pretty simple.

They will try to sell you AKV, Aulani, or BLT even though there are more resorts available.

They can give you a loan at a high interest rate.

They will tell you that your points can be used at wonderful destinations all over the world even though you may need a ton of points to vacation there and the cash rate is cheaper than using points.

Their price will be several thousand dollars higher than buying the same resort resale.

Put down your deposit today, you can probably try to book a resort tomorrow. Resale takes longer because Disney makes resale buyers wait.

That's it in a nut shell, reading this section on the DIS will provide additional info.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Buying points from Disney is pretty simple.

They will try to sell you AKV, Aulani, or BLT even though there are more resorts available.

They can give you a loan at a high interest rate.

They will tell you that your points can be used at wonderful destinations all over the world even though you may need a ton of points to vacation there and the cash rate is cheaper than using points.

Their price will be several thousand dollars higher than buying the same resort resale.

Put down your deposit today, you can probably try to book a resort tomorrow. Resale takes longer because Disney makes resale buyers wait.

That's it in a nut shell, reading this section on the DIS will provide additional info.

Bill
Thanks for the brief summary. When you buy from Disney, is there a set price for the one-time purchase price plus the cost of buying points or is the one-time purchase price really the points that you are buying?
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 8,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellepearle View Post
Can anyone please explain the process of buying DVC directly from Disney? I'm also confused about the cost. Thanks!
cost is easy to calculate. go here for direct pricing information:

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc...g-a-promotions

$110 per pt for SSR = 100 pts x $110 = $11,000 (plus a couple hundred in closing costs) for 100 SSR pts.

that is the upfront cost.

then go here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2823952

SSR owners currently pay $4.81 per pt during 2013 for annual dues for maintenance and upkeep/housekeeping on the resort.

so $4.81 x 100 pts = $481 for the year (notice that it tends to increase every year.)

that is the ongoing cost of DVC.

then you might go here and see how much you could save up front by buying resale:

http://www.dvc-resales.com/dvclisting.cfm
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
cost is easy to calculate. go here for direct pricing information:

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc...g-a-promotions

$110 per pt for SSR = 100 pts x $110 = $11,000 (plus a couple hundred in closing costs) for 100 SSR pts.

that is the upfront cost.

then go here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2823952

SSR owners currently pay $4.81 per pt during 2013 for annual dues for maintenance and upkeep/housekeeping on the resort.

so $4.81 x 100 pts = $481 for the year (notice that it tends to increase every year.)

that is the ongoing cost of DVC.

then you might go here and see how much you could save up front by buying resale:

http://www.dvc-resales.com/dvclisting.cfm
I see. Thank you so much. So the one-time purchase price that they always talk about is really different for everyone because it's based on which DVC Resort you choose as your "home" as well as how many points you buy. Correct?
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellepearle View Post
I see. Thank you so much. So the one-time purchase price that they always talk about is really different for everyone because it's based on which DVC Resort you choose as your "home" as well as how many points you buy. Correct?
Correct.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellepearle View Post
I see. Thank you so much. So the one-time purchase price that they always talk about is really different for everyone because it's based on which DVC Resort you choose as your "home" as well as how many points you buy. Correct?
Exactly. Each resort has a cost per point and your initial buy in is simply the cost per point times the number of points you buy. Each resort also has a average cost per point when buying resale as well, but it's not fixed. It depends on the seller. But if you compare the two you will see that you can save 50% or more by buying resale. Just something to think about. Good luck!
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Correct.

Bill
Got it. How does one typically choose their home resort? What are normally the factors that go into making that decision? Thanks!
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Exactly. Each resort has a cost per point and your initial buy in is simply the cost per point times the number of points you buy. Each resort also has a average cost per point when buying resale as well, but it's not fixed. It depends on the seller. But if you compare the two you will see that you can save 50% or more by buying resale. Just something to think about. Good luck!
Thanks! How does one choose a home resort??
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

I see a lot of people have more than one home resort. How does that work?
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellepearle View Post
I see a lot of people have more than one home resort. How does that work?
I believe that you should buy where you love to stay. You can book your home resort at 11 months, others at 7. Owning more than one resort allows booking at 11 months at all that you own.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
I believe that you should buy where you love to stay. You can book your home resort at 11 months, others at 7. Owning more than one resort allows booking at 11 months at all that you own.

Bill
Say we wanted to buy 300 points at BWV and 50 points (or whatever the minimum is) at BLT. Those 2 resorts are now our home resorts. Can we then book BLT at the 7 month window and also use those 300 points at BLT?
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
imlsherman
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 90

Also look into the restrictions on the resale use. I believe they can only be used on Disney property and cannot be used with RCI
imlsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellepearle View Post
Say we wanted to buy 300 points at BWV and 50 points (or whatever the minimum is) at BLT. Those 2 resorts are now our home resorts. Can we then book BLT at the 7 month window and also use those 300 points at BLT?
Yes, you can use the points anywhere at 7 months.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Yes, you can use the points anywhere at 7 months.

Bill
Sorry I meant 11 months. I would then be able to book BLT at the 11 month window and also use those 300 points at BLT? Sorry for the confusion!
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.