Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
SarahSlink
Earning My Ears

Could it actually happen this time? A Dec 2013 PTR

Hello! I'm tentatively starting this pre-trip report in the hopes that my family & I will be making a trip to WDW in Dec 2013. There's a lot of backstory as to why I'm hopeful, but not overly confident that the trip will occur...something always seems to happen when I start planning!

Firstly, DH has no desire to go to WDW. At all. It's a mystery to me how that could be possible, but I grew up with a family that felt the same way, hence I am a 35 year old Disney virgin! About 7.5 years ago I had my parents, sister & her family convinced that we should take a family trip together... In actuality, I think they just felt sorry for me because I was single, lonely & needed something to occupy my time and planning a trip would do just that. Shortly after we started planning, I met my now DH, fell madly in love & planned a wedding instead . Fast forward a few years, we have a beautiful DS and I started thinking about going to The World again. Who am I kidding, I had been thinking about it all along, but started getting serious about it again, and talked DH into going Dec 2012, before DS turned 3 and he would still be free. *I think I actually said at one point "come heck or high water we are going to WDW in Dec of 2012!" Well, along comes Heck & High Water...

Finding out, very unexpectedly, we were pregnant, let alone with with TWINS and due in September caused us to postpone the trip once again. Plus, I lost my job in March... we moved in July... girls were born in August... It's a good thing we weren't trying to plan a trip too! Although the girls were a few weeks early, and fairly small, both were perfectly healthy and everything has gone very smoothly since then.

One day a few weeks ago DH & I agreed to lose some weight. The incentive? When we both lose 50 pounds we can plan the trip!!! So, while its certainly not a sure thing, I'm really hoping that by later this spring we've both lost enough (and saved enough $$) that we can go ahead and book the trip and make ressies, etc, even if we don't hit our goals until a little later on.

What will you find in this pretrip report? A little bit of everything... Me looking for advice on how to plan (and survive) a trip with a 3.5 year old and two 1 year olds - please tell me I'm not crazy! And I will probably include some updates on the weight loss front, as well as tracking the progress of the savings account.

I'm looking forward to having you join me as I venture into uncharted territory! Stay tuned for a little more detail on the cast of characters...

As a side note, I'm not real versed on some of the tricks & techniques that make these reports easy & fun to follow (ie, best way to insert pics) so any advice in that area is also much appreciated!
SarahSlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
happybelle
DIS Veteran

I am reading. Just read lots of reports see what catches your eye.
happybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
SarahSlink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybelle View Post
I am reading. Just read lots of reports see what catches your eye.
Yea! Someone to follow along with my ramblings!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
SarahSlink
Earning My Ears

Ahhh!!! I just got off the phone with my sister who literally just stepped off a Disney cruise with her family. I am so jealous of them! Sounds like they had a great time , that's for sure! Now, if only I could convince her they would have a great time at WDW too...
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
SarahSlink
Earning My Ears

Introductions to the family

I'm Sarah, a 35 year old lifelong lover of Disney. My favorite character is Goofy. In fact, I worked at a summer camp in college where the staff all went by nicknames (campers didn't know our real names until the end of the week) and my name was Goofy. I would have to say my second fave is the Slinky dog from TS, just because my maiden name starts with Slink and those people who didn't know me as Goofy from camp, called me Slink! And let's face it, who doesn't love the main cheese?

I'm a stay at home mom... while it wasn't originally by choice, it has definitely worked out for the best! I enjoyed having some time at home with DS before the girls were born, plus being able to take it easy when I needed to during my pregnancy was great as well. Now, I can't imagine having to pay for three kids in day care! Pretty much any salary I would make would barely cover that, so we have figured out how to make things work on just my husbands salary. Easy? NO! But totally worth it

In my spare time (ha!) I enjoy stamping & crafting. I'm getting more spare time as the girls get a little older and can't wait to get back doing those things a little more! I'm hoping to teach myself how to sew soon, and maybe make a couple outfits for the girls. One of my other goals for the trip is to create a Busy Book for DS to take on the plane & for other down times.

DH (Brian) -
He works for our county's highway dept and is also a volunteer firefighter/first responder. What that means for the rest of the family is a lot of interrupted holidays & special events! It never fails that there is a huge snow storm or fire when we are trying to do something together! In his spare time he helps on his parents farm (beef cattle) or plays around with tractors and doing things around the house. He can't stand sitting still and thinks time off of work is for getting things done. I don't think he ever really took a vacation until I came along... *

DS -
He is 2 years old (will be 3 in April) and full of energy! Some days it drives me nuts, but he is so much fun at the same time he loves all the shows on Disney Junior and we've started watching some Disney movies which he enjoys as well... If I can get him to sit still for it... He always needs to be doing something, which makes the long, cold Wisconsin winter even longer! He's not quite old enough for me to send outside by himself, and the girls don't nap at the same time for very long, so there's not enough time for us to to get bundled up and play outside together. Hopefully this summer we can all go outside more often again.

DDx2
We were blessed with twin girls this summer they are a lot of work, but so much fun too! Thankfully they were both born healthy, just small (4 lbs 8 oz & 4 lbs even). The littlest one came home at 3 lbs 3 oz! It was a little scary taking care of a baby that small, but once she caught on to eating there was no stopping her. In fact, I think she's bigger than her sister now. It's crazy that they can be twins, but yet have such different personalities. For instance, this morning DD1 got up at 630, and DD2 didn't get up until 1000!! They both went to bed at the same time. DD1 is definitely a morning person, and DD2 takes after me on that front...

That pretty much covers the immediate family. i will do inteos to some of the extended family soon as well, since i'm hoping they decide to join us on the trip. Up next...tentative trip plans! And me hopefully figuring out the picture thing...
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
happybelle
DIS Veteran

I am still here reading.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
SarahSlink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybelle
I am still here reading.
Great! Thanks for sticking with me
Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
PrincessAmongPrinces
Mouseketeer

Hi! I'm joining in. I am also planning a Dec 2013 trip to WDW, and I am also a twin Mom! I have fraternal twin boys who are 4 years old. I hope everything works out for your trip this time - I'm looking forward to hearing more about your plans!
PrincessAmongPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
SarahSlink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAmongPrinces
Hi! I'm joining in. I am also planning a Dec 2013 trip to WDW, and I am also a twin Mom! I have fraternal twin boys who are 4 years old. I hope everything works out for your trip this time - I'm looking forward to hearing more about your plans!
Welcome! Yea! another twin mom! Tell me honestly, are we crazy to think about bringing two 1 year olds to WDW?

Last edited by SarahSlink; 02-08-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
SarahSlink
Earning My Ears

Itinerary

*I'll preface this update by saying this is my dream plan for our trip... If only one piece of it works out I'll be thrilled.*

When: December 1-7, 2013
Where: Coronado Springs Resort

I'm hoping that free dining is offered for our week, otherwise we will need to switch to a value resort. Nothing against them, but I'm just not sure the over the top theming and decor is really us. I think we'd really enjoy having a place to come 'home' to in the evening where we are still a part of Disney, but feel a little removed from it all as well. I need to start researching and see what I can come up with for a back-up plan.

Right now my plan is to get any early flight out on Sunday so we can get into WDW and settled in the room with time to hit MK for dinner. I think doing dinner at MK will make it easier not to want to do MK on Monday. I'll be able to get the 'holy crap I'm really here' moment out of the way and just walk around and enjoy the park with no real goals, other than getting to dinner on time! Plus, from what I see of years past, MVMCP would be that night, so we won't be tempted to stay late & start the week out totally exhausted.

I plan to follow the recommendations of Touring Plans for where we go when for the most part. We are not getting Hoppers, so the plan is 2 full days at MK & 1 day at EP, HS & AK. I'm thinking right now that AK & HS might even be 1/2 - 3/4 days, one of which we might use to hit DD after... We'll play that by ear, as well as midday breaks the other days. Based on the current TP recommendations, here's what I'm thinking:

Sunday 12/1 - travel/MK
Monday 12/2-EP
Tuesday 12/3-HS
Wednesday 12/4 - MK
Thursday 12/5 - AK
Friday 12/6 - MK
Saturday 12/7- travel

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
happybelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSlink View Post
Welcome! Yea! another twin mom! Tell me honestly, are we crazy to think about bringing two 1 year olds to WDW?
I don't think so as long as you keep it simple and know you might have to adjust your plans, and it looks like you do.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
PrincessAmongPrinces
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSlink

Nah... Just bring a great double stroller and lots of snacks! I think as long as you're prepared, you'll be totally fine.

Last edited by PrincessAmongPrinces; 02-08-2013 at 09:41 PM.
PrincessAmongPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
aprylann28
Mouseketeer

Hi, I'm subbing so I can follow along since you are following along on mine. I hope we can both make it this year.

Isn't it funny how it seems like there is always something coming up to prevent us from going to Disney? I told my DH the same thing you told yours ... Come Heck or High Water we are going to DW this year.

I even told mine if we don't make it this year then we might as well not go. I didn't mean that of course, I just want to go so bad.

Can't wait for more updates.

Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: