DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
mlayton14
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central, NJ
Posts: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC

It's hard for buyers who are financially motivated to buy direct right now.
Is there any other reason to buy into DVC?

Seriously if you take away the savings realized by DVC what are you left with?
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #17
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 7,023

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
Is there any other reason to buy into DVC?

Seriously if you take away the savings realized by DVC what are you left with?
You'd be surprised by the number of people who claim to not care about the cost because they're more interested in "buying into the magic."
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 8/14, 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,808

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
Is there any other reason to buy into DVC?

Seriously if you take away the savings realized by DVC what are you left with?
You might save a little bit on your lodging, but you are going to be spending a whole bundle on theme park admission, transportation and food. Take away the theme park admission and souveniers that newer owner buy and you might have a real nice vacation to the beach. Or you can rent someone's condo at the beach and save even more.

A WDW vacation isn't cheap anyway you look at it.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
mlayton14
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central, NJ
Posts: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

You might save a little bit on your lodging, but you are going to be spending a whole bundle on theme park admission, transportation and food. Take away the theme park admission and souveniers that newer owner buy and you might have a real nice vacation to the beach. Or you can rent someone's condo at the beach and save even more.

A WDW vacation isn't cheap anyway you look at it.
Agreed but my point was that if u can save $1k a year in lodging that is significant even though you still will put $3-4k more out of pocket for everything else. Take away the savings and why would anyone commit or prepay for Dvc? Hard to believe anyone would buy just to own a piece of magic. Lets not forget that beneath the pixie dust is a corporation whose mission is to make profit
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 8,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
Agreed but my point was that if u can save $1k a year in lodging that is significant even though you still will put $3-4k more out of pocket for everything else. Take away the savings and why would anyone commit or prepay for Dvc? Hard to believe anyone would buy just to own a piece of magic. Lets not forget that beneath the pixie dust is a corporation whose mission is to make profit
most of us get that.

there are just a few that are so delighted to own "a piece of the magic" that they will pay direct prices just so they can finance and pay even more...not sure savings is even an issue for them.
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #21
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,153

Disney knows the psychology of people and they use it to their advantage. Their brand is so highly thought of, some DVC buyers are willing to pay thousands more for a contract buying direct just because it's Disney.

You aren't an owner, you're a Club Member.

You don't buy from salesperson, you buy from a Guide.

It isn't a Timeshare, it's a deeded ownership.

Buy X amount of points and we will discount the price X amount. (Disney raised the price before offering the "discount").

We will get you an extra years worth of points. (Not really, you are buying points in your current UY, not the calendar year).

The benefits when buying direct are greater compared to buying resale. (Disney is who took away the resale benefits).

Bill


__________________

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
klepton
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 289

After talking with multiple people on my cruise who were DVC members, I have to agree that many of them don't do it for the savings. The guy who first turned me on to it did it because he was a work-a-holic and having the points forced him to take a vacation with his family every year. Another guy said he'd rather pay a little more, but not have to make the decisions to spend the money every year. Still another was proud to "own a piece" of disney. There are many people who don't count money among their most important reasons for doing it.

When I rescinded on my purchase, my DVC "guide" tried to talk me into buying for many of the above reasons. She even said:

"even if you ultimately spend more money using your points for cruises, it will still be nice not having to shell out thousands of dollars every time you want to cruise."

She wouldn't have tried that tactic if it didn't work on some people... there are many people with the "convenience over cost" mindset.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #23
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

There's so much at work to the psychology of buying DVC, and I think Bill hit on a lot of it. Disney is an expensive vacation, and quite frankly it is out of reach for a lot of people. DVC can potentially save you money in the long term* as compared to other on site booking options. However, when you buy a contract and finance, your net cash flow for year one is positive as compared to booking a direct stay because you are avoiding the lump sum buy in cost and instead simply paying a monthly payment.** People choose to ignore the fact that they are deferring the costs of today's vacation and spreading it out over the next 10 years and instead focusing on the joy the get from "ownership". We've seen it on here a lot, people saying that buying DVC direct and financing is the only way they would be able to afford to stay in Deluxe resorts. So long term implications aside, people do what they have to do to stay in DVC resorts right now. Whether this is good or bad, right or wrong is a value judgment that will certainly vary by individual.

I will say this though, there is a certain "satisfaction of ownership" that comes from owning DVC that is hard to put a price on. It's hard, but not impossible. For me, that price was laying out the $58 net price per point up front to buy BLT resale***. I'm totally thrilled with my ownership at this price and have no regrets. For others, it's $165 ($143 if they rent out the points they get at closing) a point for BLT direct. I have a feeling that those owners feel the same. Financially speaking, however, one of us got a better deal than the other.

Or....to put all of the above paragraphs into one succinct thought...people have a "gotta have it" mentality and will pay anything it costs to have what they want, regardless of whether or not it's a good deal. Again, no judgment, but that's what they're doing for better or for worse.

By the way, here are why I put *s in my comments above:

* I said that buying DVC can potentially save you money in the long term over other onsite booking options. However, I am really only talking about resale as I am not convinced that at today's prices, buying direct has any financial advantage whatsoever. Certainly not if you finance.

** It's a monthly payment. Another example of the terminology used to soften the blow is that people refer to this as a "mortgage". Technically a mortgage refers to a debt assigned against ownership of a piece of property. As a DVC owner you have a right to use for a limited period of time. In reality there is no real estate that you own.

*** $80 per point plus closing and maintenance fees for a contract that contained three years worth of points. I rented all three years worth of points out for $11 each, giving me a $34 net cost per point.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Disney knows the psychology of people and they use it to their advantage. Their brand is so highly thought of, some DVC buyers are willing to pay thousands more for a contract buying direct just because it's Disney.

You aren't an owner, you're a Club Member.

You don't buy from salesperson, you buy from a Guide.

It isn't a Timeshare, it's a deeded ownership.

Buy X amount of points and we will discount the price X amount. (Disney raised the price before offering the "discount").

We will get you an extra years worth of points. (Not really, you are buying points in your current UY, not the calendar year).

The benefits when buying direct are greater compared to buying resale. (Disney is who took away the resale benefits).

Bill


You forgot one...

It's not a monthly payment it's a mortgage.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #25
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
You forgot one...

It's not a monthly payment it's a mortgage.
On a property that you have to give back at contract end.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,808

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
On a property that you have to give back at contract end.

Bill
And even if you pay it off quickly, you still have to pay to use it each month/year depending on how much you can stomach those annual fees.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.