Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #91
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
What a motley looking group. Although the guy with the beard looks like he could drink all of you under the table.
I'm not to sure about that. I think Paul, Carl, & Scott were doing quite fine.

Quote:
Notice that Randall could take you all by himself but it took a pack to take him down.
This was a payback beating..

Quote:
It was minestrone. It was OK, not great. The mozzarella was good quality but no balsamic on the salad. Crash liked her lasagna but the portion was small. Expectations were high and they didn't meet them but overall it was a good meal.
It was ok... I mean it wasn't like we didn't eat our meal or anything. I think the company was better.

Quote:
As to our conversation, she isn't scarred for life. I threatened worse things to the kid that dared asked her to the prom last year.

Guess it is a good thing I didn't ask her to dance then.

Quote:
Now that is a good looking group. It was great meeting up with you guys. Fun dinner. And I am sure I can speak for everyone that met Melody and Bambi that both of you married way out of your league.
It was great meeting you too CJ. Melody did marry out of her league but I don't mind.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #92
that's nice
DDC #330

Fighting to get there.....

It was 3:05am and Melody was shaking me telling me I had to get up. I hopped up and was wondering why the alarm on my cell phone didn't go off. I went over and picked it up and saw it was only 2:50am. The clock in the room was 15 minutes fast. Whew!

I had all my clothes laid out and it didn't take me long to get out of the room to meet Barry at 3:10. Didn't I tell you his room was in a building right across from ours? I'm not sure if this was planned (it wasn't on my part) but it worked out good. I opened the door and noticed right away how warm and humid it was. When I walked down the stairs, he was already out there.. I guess he was anxious. We walked over to the bus stop and took the shuttle to the Hospitality House. There were about 10 people waiting for the shuttle to Epcot. Barry texted Chris (another DISDad who was running) and he was just getting out of his room.. as this was going on a bus pulled up. We opted to wait for the next bus so we could ride over with Chris. As we were waiting more and more people were walking over waiting for the shuttle to Epcot. Chris arrived right at 3:30 with his cousin, and we were just chatting waiting. And waiting. And waiting. When the bus finally showed up there had to be at least 200 people in line, if you could call it that, waiting for a bus.

Finally, a bus showed up and it didn't look like we were going to make it. Luckily, a second bus pulled up and we were the first ones on. As the bus pulled out of OKW, we realized that the starting corrals were right behind where our building were. We could of just walked from our buildings, across the road, and been at the starting line. Disney, discourages people walking to the starting line, but if (when) we run next year, we are walking!

A normal 7 minute ride to Epcot took close to 20 minutes due to the road closings. We did have a good bus driver who knew how to drive.. AKA taking a few shortcuts and cutting people off. There was so much traffic. I would suggest to anyone planning on driving to any marathon, to leave early. We were dropped off in the Epcot parking lot and began our walk to the staging area. We had a meet planned before walking through the bag check with some other Dads who were running. There were so many people and it was already after 4am, that we decided to keep moving. We dropped off our bags at the baggage check and started walking with the sea of humanity, towards the starting line. I don't have the exact time we started walking but it was about 4:30am.

The walk was slow. I mean slow. There were thousands of people trying to walk on narrow service roads towards the start. In some places there were 30-40 port-o-pottys lines up with lines 10 people deep waiting to get in them. There were guys, and girls, doing their 'business' in the brush on the sides of the road. It was insanity. I've never seen anything like it. The walk was painfully slow.

Don't we look excited?

We were getting closer to the corrals and it was suggested that we use the bathroom. We only had to wait for 4 or so people to get to the bathroom. While waiting in line, word was spreading that none of the bathrooms had toilet paper. Good thing I was just going '#1'. I felt bad for all the ladies but what cha gonna do?

We finally got to the main road where the corrals were. A, B, & C to the left and D, E, F, G to the right. Naturally, we went to the left and came up to our corral. Our bibs were checked to make sure we were in the right place. Once in the corral, I realized why they call it a corral. You do feel like a herd of cattle. There was no room to stretch or breathe. We had got there just in time. Time was 5:30 and they were singing the national anthem. It literally took us 1 hour to walk from the bag drop off to the corral. INSANE!

There were huge TVs to see the talking from the starting line. They started counting down the first wave.. the wheelchair athletes. 3, 2, 1 BOOM! Fireworks started shooting off! It was awesome! Each corral was slated to start in 10 minute intervals. Corral A was lined up and ready to go. They counted it down again... 3, 2, 1.... BOOM!!!

There were fireworks going off in front of us and behind us too. The anticipation was building and I was sweating. I was nervous, anxious, excited, scared all rolled together. Our corral started moving forward towards the starting line. It was almost our time.... 3, 2, 1 BOOOMM!!! More fireworks! Barry and I walked toward the starting line.

I'm pretty sure we wished each other good luck, set our music, and started running.......

Up next... the run
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #93
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
It was 3:05am and Melody was shaking me telling me I had to get up. I hopped up and was wondering why the alarm on my cell phone didn't go off. I went over and picked it up and saw it was only 2:50am. The clock in the room was 15 minutes fast. Whew!
Ok, having read this, I just have one question... What the beverly was Melody doing up at 3:05 am??????

Quote:
When the bus finally showed up there had to be at least 200 people in line, if you could call it that, waiting for a bus.
Moral of the story... take the first bus!

Quote:
We did have a good bus driver who knew how to drive.. AKA taking a few shortcuts and cutting people off.
Was he trained on the streets of NYC?

Quote:
Don't we look excited?
How excited can you be to be awake at 4:30 am and getting ready to run 13 miles?

Quote:
We were getting closer to the corrals and it was suggested that we use the bathroom.
Won't there be any trees or bushes along the race route?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we wished each other good luck, set our music, and started running.......
Wait a minute... wished each other luck?????
Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #94
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Welcome to the world of runners...only in this place will you hear something to the effect of, "I was really glad it was 2:50 a.m."

Quote:
I had all my clothes laid out and it didn't take me long to get out of the room to meet Barry at 3:10. Didn't I tell you his room was in a building right across from ours? I'm not sure if this was planned (it wasn't on my part) but it worked out good.
Sounds like suspicious nemesis activity to me.

Quote:
Chris arrived right at 3:30 with his cousin, and we were just chatting waiting. And waiting. And waiting. When the bus finally showed up there had to be at least 200 people in line, if you could call it that, waiting for a bus.

Quote:
We could of just walked from our buildings, across the road, and been at the starting line. Disney, discourages people walking to the starting line, but if (when) we run next year, we are walking!
I wonder if they have measures in place to stop you?

Quote:
We did have a good bus driver who knew how to drive.. AKA taking a few shortcuts and cutting people off.
Maybe he was from NJ originally. That's the only place I know where cutting off is encouraged.

Quote:
In some places there were 30-40 port-o-pottys lines up with lines 10 people deep waiting to get in them. There were guys, and girls, doing their 'business' in the brush on the sides of the road.
Disney World is so magical!

Quote:
Don't we look excited?
As excited as anyone would be at that time of the morning!

Quote:
While waiting in line, word was spreading that none of the bathrooms had toilet paper. Good thing I was just going '#1'. I felt bad for all the ladies but what cha gonna do?

Quote:
There were huge TVs to see the talking from the starting line. They started counting down the first wave.. the wheelchair athletes. 3, 2, 1 BOOM! Fireworks started shooting off! It was awesome!
Cool!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #95
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Or castle walls?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #96
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
The clock in the room was 15 minutes fast. Whew!
It was the last fast thing we'd see that day!

Quote:
Didn't I tell you his room was in a building right across from ours? I'm not sure if this was planned (it wasn't on my part) but it worked out good.
Funny how things work out...

Quote:
When I walked down the stairs, he was already out there..
Yup. Standing outside you room, holding a boom box above my head.

Quote:
A normal 7 minute ride to Epcot took close to 20 minutes due to the road closings. We did have a good bus driver who knew how to drive.. AKA taking a few shortcuts and cutting people off. There was so much traffic.
That was insane. I've never seen that many buses letting that many people out in one place.

Quote:
It was insanity. I've never seen anything like it. The walk was painfully slow.
Crazy. All the instructions Disney gives you says the walk is 20 minutes. Before we got there, my thinking was "sure, we'll make it in 10." I really did take almost an hour!

Quote:
Don't we look excited?
Game Face. No time for smiling.

Quote:
Good thing I was just going '#1'. I felt bad for all the ladies but what cha gonna do?
They could at least make the race bibs softer and more absorbent.

Quote:
Our bibs were checked to make sure we were in the right place. Once in the corral, I realized why they call it a corral.
We were barely in it, too. After us, pretty much everyone else wanting to join B was spilling out along the side of the road next to the entrance.

Quote:
There were fireworks going off in front of us and behind us too. The anticipation was building and I was sweating. I was nervous, anxious, excited, scared all rolled together.
Dude, we were running a race, not getting married!

Quote:
Yeahhhhh...."luck"....that's what we wished for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Gators.

Quote:
Maybe he was from NJ originally. That's the only place I know where cutting off is encouraged.
Actually, he was. I overheard him talking to a guy that just squeezed on to the bus and was sitting on the step right next to the driver.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #97
jmwest
DIS Dad #578
A little inspirational reading for anyone who gets discouraged. YOU CAN DO IT!

Quote:

Up next... the run
Thus far lots of similarities to my morning as I recall. Only difference is I was mostly alone and didn't meet up with my sisters until I got to corral C. Nobody checked my bib to see if I belonged there.
DDC Member #578

Me DW DD7 DD3 and DSnewborn
Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #98
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

It took me well over an hour to walk to my starting corral! I actually missed the start of corral C and ended up starting in D for the half. Craziness!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #99
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

I'm in! I plan to run the half in 2014 so I really like all the details you're including about the experience. I have no idea what to expect and this really helps!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #100
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Quote:
There were about 10 people waiting for the shuttle to Epcot. Barry texted Chris (another DISDad who was running) and he was just getting out of his room.. as this was going on a bus pulled up. We opted to wait for the next bus so we could ride over with Chris. As we were waiting more and more people were walking over waiting for the shuttle to Epcot. Chris arrived right at 3:30 with his cousin, and we were just chatting waiting. And waiting. And waiting. When the bus finally showed up there had to be at least 200 people in line, if you could call it that, waiting for a bus.
So you got the late bus because of Chris? That guy sounds like a jerk.
DIS Dad #400

Old 01-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #101
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Cool update, I can't wait to hear how the race unfolds.

ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #102
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

love the update. Those t-shirts are bright. You look tired more than excited in that pic though.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #104
Woth2982
DIS Veteran

Ive been following along, and finally got around to posting. Yay you made it to the race! Im impressed you were able to drink the day before AND have tomato based food! I get such heart burn from tomato sauce/anything tomato. Your faces say it all in that self portrait at 330 am! I signed up for the Disneyland Half (and hopefully the wine and dine half next month), and I am not looking forward to the waking up at 3 am part. I signed my sister up too, she is not very happy with me right now, but our dad said she can't do it so she is determined to prove him wrong lol.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #105
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Ok, having read this, I just have one question... What the beverly was Melody doing up at 3:05 am??????
She just randomly woke up at 3. Maybe she couldn't wait for me to get out of there so she could take over the whole bed.

Quote:
Moral of the story... take the first bus!

Quote:
Was he trained on the streets of NYC?
I know it was the North East.

Quote:
How excited can you be to be awake at 4:30 am and getting ready to run 13 miles?
Actually, we were really excited... can't you tell?

Quote:
Plenty!

Quote:
Wait a minute... wished each other luck?????
I know. Weird huh? I think it was so early we were delirious.

Quote:
Welcome to the world of runners...only in this place will you hear something to the effect of, "I was really glad it was 2:50 a.m."
In my business, I'm usually going to bed about that time. Not waking up.

Quote:
Sounds like suspicious nemesis activity to me.
I think you are right... it was too much of a coincidence to be a ummm coincidence.

Quote:

Quote:
Good call! I think you are right!

Quote:
Disney World is so magical!
Yes. Yes it is.. even when people are peeing all over the place!

Quote:
Or castle walls?
Dang... this is probably the only time you could of did that and not get kicked out of the park.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: