Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #31
Violet Parr
DIS Veteran

Our third trip in 2010 (1st 2 weeks of December) was a tent camping trip at fort Wilderness. (We'd done it before same time of year, it was bliss and beautiful and perfect.) Here is a list of what went wrong:

-It was the coldest winter in Florida in 25 years. There were highs in the 30's and lows in the LOW 20's. We were in tents. Could not find another room.

-stroller was stolen.

-We All got a hideous stomach bug. I puked on a boat from MK to Fort Wilderness. After finally feeling well, I got sick on a bus. The baby (16 months) exploded with, well, he just exploded and needed new clothes at Downtown Disney. All we could find was a $60 track suit.

-We're all finally recovering in a tent in the freezing rain on what was going to be a down day anyway when the baby has a SEIZURE. An ambulance came immediately and we were transported to Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital. He FINALLY regained consciousness after what felt like 100 hours. we were sent back to Disney. (they put us up in a cabin, thankfully!)

In the cabin, the one child who had avoided the stomach bug (it was a NASTY bug) got sick. i stayed in the cabin with her for the rest of the trip. DH took the middle child out. Middle child has one leg that is shorter than the other, so he needed a stroller for long walks. Stroller got stolen.

That trip cost us $25,000 in hospital bills alone.

We just went back on our 4th trip in October, because I had to avenge my stupid 13 day trip from hell. I'm happy to say it was our BEST TRIP YET!

We're headed back this December!

You deserve a do-over!

VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandsofsmom View Post
Someone please help me get over this....our last trip was 11/27-12-3. I'm sad to say for the first time EVER it was a nightmare. But a nightmare I'm having a hard time getting over! We had our double jogging stroller stollen, and everything in it, went with the thief. After waiting nearly 45 minutes for security to come, and giving a report, my husband found the stroller outside of the new Jack Sparrow experience upside down and completely wiped out of all of our belongings. My kids Christmas hats, sweatshirts, extra clothes and basically everything we had was gone. We went on with our trip and tried to forget it. It was my DD's 5th birthday and it was just a crappy way to spend our day at DHS! To top it off, on our trip home, my DS, 7, fell ill that morning with a stomach virus he had picked up somewhere on our trip. Poor kid was sick from Orlando to NJ. HORRIBLE! I think that has me more traumatized than anything else! He was just so sick! I really don't like traveling during this particular time of year because of the increase in colds, flu, and tummy bugs and now I will probably never do it again. The Christmas parade taping was on my bucket list so that's why we went, along with it being DD's birthday! We have a 5 day 4 night trip planned in April and I'm already panicked about germs, and thieves! Help!!!!!!! I love Disney so much and don't want to feel like this! I'm usually super excited counting the days an now I'm just nervous!!!!
December 2005 Pop Century, VWL, Swan, December 2007 Coronado Springs, Fort Wilderness December 2010 Fort Wilderness, October 2012 AKV Kidani, June 2013 Caribbean Beach, July 2013 Polynesian August 2013 Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room September 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas, POR-AB October 2013 MNSSHP/F&W Fort Wilderness December 2013 Villas at Wilderness Lodge October 2014 DISNEYLAND PARIS HALLOWEEN! Oh Mon Dieu!!!! December 2015 Fort Wilderness/Port Orleans Jan 2015 Just me and DH, Grand Floridian Villas April 2015 Aloha Aulani! May 2015 Flower and Garden Festival Grand Floridian Villas October 2015 Quick Halloween Weekend Polynesian

Violet Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #32
mummabear
DIS Veteran

Sometimes when things go wrong its what you remember years later and laugh. From my childhood the thing we laugh about most is going camping and getting caught in a cyclone-terrible at the time hilarious now....
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #33
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

I know how you feel! On my last trip, I got violently ill about an hour or so after getting to the resort (at 1 am due to a late flight) and was so sick the next two days I could hardly go out of the room to get food (I went alone for this trip so I didnt even have anyone I could send for me!). Thankfully, I was feeling better by the time the runDisney events rolled around (the WHOLE purpose of the trip). All I can say is that really, statistically, the odds of getting sick on your next trip are relatively low, so just go and dont worry too much!

Make sure to wash hands EXTRA leading up to the trip and have an EXTRA strict frequent hand washing policy while you're there! That's about the best anyone can do!

Good luck and hope you're next trip goes better!

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #34
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
Safer way to climb or descend stairs if you can't reach the handrail or if lighting is poor: Put both feet on each step.

That is, after putting one foot on the next step, bring your other foot to the same step, not the one after.

To further reduce the chances of getting sick, don't touch food with your bare hands or fingers even if you just washed them. Learn how to use a napkin to pick up food items. Yes this requires practice to avoid dropping the item.

Health hints: http://www.cockam.com/health.htm
This food tip totally scratches my inner OCD itch lol

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #35
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl777 View Post
Me too. Scared as all heck. We all got the flu when we went in October. I would never go back to WDW again, even though we did have a nice time (it was my first time there). We got sick on the last day, and yes, we caught it there.

It was my first trip there, and my last. I know you can get sick anywhere, but I think there are some unique conditions at Disney that make it much more probable.

There are just too many people there, it's too crowded, too many people touching the same things. And no offense, but too many people from all over the world, bring all sorts of foreign germs, crammed into one place. (again, not a diss on the people, just the exposure to strange germs that everyone is getting, including the international visitors).
Can't believe you are serious! You can get sick anywhere. As an AP holder I go to WDW 4-6 times a year. The only time I've ever been sick down there, I apparently took it with me, as I felt fine when I left home that morning, but got sick my very first night down there and was stuck in bed for several days with a severe upper respiratory infection (fever, chills, body aches, sore throat, cough, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummabear View Post
Sometimes when things go wrong its what you remember years later and laugh..
True! In my case that I mentioned above, I felt fine when I left Dallas early that morning and fine when I went to California Grill that night. However, it was pouring down rain and not wanting to have my credit card charged I decided to go in the rain. By the time I got to the restaurant I had developed a scratchy throat and was starting to feel achy. Despite the rain, I knew symptoms don't start that quickly, so know I must have been getting sick at home and just didn't know it. The rain just aggravated it and cause everything to escalate. During that first night I developed a sore thoat and chills that just got continuously worse. I was solo that trip and just wanted to stay in bed and be left alone, so I left the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. Three days later I heard a knock on the door, but knowing I had the sign in the door, just ignored it. I don't know who was more surprised when that door opened me or the poor housekeeper. I know we both screamed. Anyway, she said if the room hadn't been accessed in several days that they are required to check it. When I assured her I was fine, just not feeling well, she offered to go to the food court at CSR and get me something. I told her no, that I had just been snacking on some pop tarts and granola that I had brought from home, but didn't really feel like eating, as my throat was too sore. She kept insisting that I needed to eat and drink something, but I just wanted her to go away and leave me alone. Later that evening the phone rang and it was the head of housekeeping checking on me and asking if I was going to be in the room for awhile. She said my housekeeper was concerned about me and so had told her I was sick. I assured her I was feeling better and would probably be going to the parks the next day, but just wanted to stay in that night, so yes would be in the room. She said they wanted to bring me something. When she knocked a few minutes later and I opened the door, I saw the head of housekeeping and also the housekeeper who had walked in on me earlier, standing there with two gifts. One was a WDW bag that had the most intricate clown towel animal had ever seen, (with pleated legs, movable eye, a paper cone hat and really pretty glittery stickers and pipe cleaners). The other housekeeper had a large wicker Mickey Mouse head shaped basket full of fruit, chips, candy, a cake, cans of soda, and several other items. They just said the housekeeper was worried about me and they wanted to make sure I had something in the room to eat and drink. The next day I finally felt like going to the parks and when I got back found another cute towel animal with a really sweet note from the housekeeper saying she was glad I was feeling better and hoped I enjoyed my treats. That was one of the worst trips I have ever had, but then again it was one of the best, because I got to experience some great Disney magic from a wonderful, concerned housekeeper. That clown is still sitting on a chest in my computer room and the large Mickey head shaped basket is hanging on a wall across from it. Everytime I see them, I think about that trip and that wonderful housekeeper, alot more than how sick I was that trip.

Last edited by aubriee; 01-18-2013 at 06:08 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #36
andyman8
DIS Veteran

It sounds like those are the only two things that really went wrong. To be honest, illness is just luck. April is really the end of flu season and such, so his chances of getting ill will be significantly lower.

Regarding the stroller, it happens to the best of us. Ten years ago, ours was stolen but we didn't have anything in it. I would just carry around a backpack and put everything in there. You can take it with you on all attractions and if you want to take if off for a minute as you sit down for lunch or watch a parade, just put your foot through one of the straps (where one of your shoulders would normally go). And always think, it could be work...
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #37
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Relax. April will be better. Keep the items of value on your person at all times. Take a cheap stroller. We always used the old one ready for the trash. Kids get sick cant really help that.

We had one trip where my daughter threw violent tantrums almost the whole trip. It was a nightmare and I was so happy to leave on our last day. We have gone 3 times since and have had good times.

Things happen. Don't get discouraged.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #38
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandsofsmom View Post
Someone please help me get over this....our last trip was 11/27-12-3. I'm sad to say for the first time EVER it was a nightmare. But a nightmare I'm having a hard time getting over! We had our double jogging stroller stollen, and everything in it, went with the thief. After waiting nearly 45 minutes for security to come, and giving a report, my husband found the stroller outside of the new Jack Sparrow experience upside down and completely wiped out of all of our belongings. My kids Christmas hats, sweatshirts, extra clothes and basically everything we had was gone. We went on with our trip and tried to forget it. It was my DD's 5th birthday and it was just a crappy way to spend our day at DHS! To top it off, on our trip home, my DS, 7, fell ill that morning with a stomach virus he had picked up somewhere on our trip. Poor kid was sick from Orlando to NJ. HORRIBLE! I think that has me more traumatized than anything else! He was just so sick! I really don't like traveling during this particular time of year because of the increase in colds, flu, and tummy bugs and now I will probably never do it again. The Christmas parade taping was on my bucket list so that's why we went, along with it being DD's birthday! We have a 5 day 4 night trip planned in April and I'm already panicked about germs, and thieves! Help!!!!!!! I love Disney so much and don't want to feel like this! I'm usually super excited counting the days an now I'm just nervous!!!!
Honestly, I don't think anyone on the DisBoard is qualified to help you. You should look for professional help to overcome your fears. Good Luck, and God Bless you and your family. I hope you are able to find piece. TDBIASWS.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #39
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

We had a trip from hell. And to top it off the weather was hot as hell and the crowds were chanting Brazilians. Everything that could have gone wrong did on that trip. Our worst event did happen at HS too! We saw 2 girls beat each other up- full on fist fight while cm's just stood around watching. (this was right at the gate- we were all inside already-) I took my then very little kids to a store and requested security. It seemed to take an eternity for anyone to arrive. And then it was a very older security guard. Who really couldn't break up the violence that was happening.

FINALLY! The "guards" appeared from an alley and removed the girls from the park. But it really made me realize that things are not as safe as they would like you to believe. Stuff happens. I was not looking forward to going back there.

But we did. On the next trip and it was great.

We would never leave anything in the stroller. That's just too tempting. We always lugged it along. Leaving behind only what we could stand to lose. We also had a stroller disappear but I do believe it was an accident. As we found an identical stroller- but with someone else's name on it. It was pouring rain so they must have grabbed the wrong one!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #40
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

Maybe everyone needs to put these things that have happened on their vacations into perspective. Are they bad? Yes, anyone can have a bad trip. Are they horrible? Not really.

I've been sick on vacations, my family has been sick. I have had to go offsite to pick up prescriptions our pediatrician has called in. My MIL spent a trip with pneumonia and had to ride home (12 hours) with that. We have had rental car problems a few times and had to go return them. Lost some nice jewelry and that left me bawling.

None of these things has kept me from being happy to go on another vacation. These things are not tragedies. Young kids get sick at the drop of a hat. They really are susceptible if they haven't been to school and aren't exposed to viruses and germs there. We just have to clean up the mess and move on!

This is why I bring a variety of meds with me, prescription and OTC.

Last edited by J.C.&ALI'SMOM; 01-18-2013 at 08:49 AM.
J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #41
maccalovah
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry you had a bad trip. I agree with others- you deserve a do-over.

I'm really sad to hear about the theft- I guess I am also guilty of forgetting that although it is WDW, it is also the real world, and there is always a chance something can get stolen. So, thanks for that reminder. I was in Epcot last weekend and remember feeling a little nervous about leaving a shopping bag in the stroller while we rode Spaceship Earth. I distinctly remember telling myself, "well, it's Disney, no one is here to steal anything"...Nothing ended up happening, but I will remember your story from now on and be more careful!
may 2006 POFQ
mar 1997 PORS
nov 1995 WL
aug 1990 Offsite
maccalovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #42
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Oh and I always think of a diser- who I have not seen in a long time. Her husband died at Disney, while on vacation with their 2 children. She returned and made beautiful memories for her children. They remembered their Dad and did something special in memory.

If she can go back, anyone can.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #43
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

We didn't have such a great experience down there last year, which was our 2nd time going to Disney. It rained a lot of the time, the kids wanted to hang out more at the hotel than go to the parks (Where we spent $$$$ on the tickets!). It was exhausting trying to get them to get ready to go to the parks each morning. I think what happened in our case was we over extended ourselves and wore out the kids at the 1st day of being in the parks- then that set the tone for the rest of the trip. Anyhow on the ride home (which is an 18 hr drive btw) we said we were going to give Disney a break for a few years. Well..... that didn't happen! LOL We soon forget about our "less than stellar" experience there and are planning our annual trip again for this Easter/beg. of April!!! And we are very excited!

Hoping your next trip to Disney will be very memorable (in a good way)

PS- To those afraid of international germs/diseases being brought into the Country- I get what you're saying and it is a crowded place, but I can't live in a bubble and you can catch all kinds of things from touching the shopping cart at your local grocery store. Just keep washing hands!! The flu season is really bad this year--
purpledisneyprncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #44
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I've traveled to WDW in early Dec for about 10 years now. I have been ill on my departure day, but was very careful about sneezing and touching things. I was at the very tail end of a cold, so felt much better the next day after my arrival. My dd, 10, did get very ill on one trip....spiked a temp of about 103 two days into our 5 night stay!!! Spent about 36 hrs in our room!!! Not the best trip, but she recovered and we continued on.

If you are careful about not touching railings, and washing your hands more often than you think possible, then you should be fine. Those railings are just plain nasty...I try to stay clear of them on every trip...time of year doesn't matter.
As far as things being stolen??? People tend to forget 'real life' when they are within WDW!!! Would you leave a stroller, full of things, outside a store at the mall?? I doubt it. But, for some reason, we do it at WDW. And there are dishonest people there!!! They go there for a reason...lots of people to prey on. So, long story short? Don't leave anything in a stroller you don't want to lose. Obviously, in the OP's case, the thieves wanted the stuff, not the stroller. And that happens a lot. Take backpacks...no, it's not as convenient as a stroller but it's sure a lot safer!! I remember one poster who left her SLR camera in the stroller...was so surprised when the stroller went missing...when found, the camera was gone!!!! Well, of course it was!!! It was valuable.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #45
MisWal
Mouseketeer

I'm so sorry you had a rotten trip! Two major things can sure make it feel like a total failure of a trip. But this time, keep your important stuff with you and make sure your family washes their hands frequently and keeps their hands out of their mouth. You will have a wonderful trip that will hopefully replace the memories of the bad one.

I am itching for a re-do of our May 2012 trip. I took my niece with us and was looking forward to a wonderful first trip for her. DS7 started not feeling well the night we got there and was sick with a tummy ache the rest of the trip. He would be somewhat fine (although exhausted) during the day, but up all night, which also kept the rest of us up all night.
Nov 2014- Royal Pacific Resort

MisWal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: