Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Your kids are 5 & 7? Ditch the stroller & stash everything in a locker (as previously mentioned). Problem solved.

Flu? Well, you could be dealing with that no matter where you are.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Aw! I'm sorry you had such a bad time last trip! But chances are next time you won't have any of those problems. Learn from the events of last trip and take precautions where possible. Bad luck happens but so does good luck. Hopefully your next trip will be more on the good luck end! If it makes you feel any better, I'll tell you about some of our "bad luck."

In 2008, I fell down some steps in Epcot and shattered my tib/fib. Spent the next 3 days at FL hospital where I had surgery. During this, 2 of my sons ended up with strep throat! My poor husband was distraught! Thankfully our eldest son and his wife were with us and helped with his younger siblings. My leg and ankle will never be the same! On another trip my husband got a stomach bug that kept him out of commission for 2 days. On yet another trip, we had a credit card stolen out of my husband's wallet when he left it in the room but failed to lock it up in the safe. We won't make that mistake again! We learned to sanitize surfaces when we arrive and wash hands often. We learned to lock up valuables. And most of all, we learned that someone better walk down the stairs in front of Ms. Klutz! My 8 yo granddaughter still offers to hold my hand when we walk down those particular steps!

I truly hope you can put your fears aside and have a magical trip!
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Just carry your stuff with you and you should be all right. I always see strollers packed with crap (purses even), left out while people are in Nemo or on a ride.. just asking for trouble..
Yep.

I see diaper bags hanging from strollers that cost more than anything I'm carrying with me sometimes. OK, maybe my camera cost more than the diaper bags, but nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl777 View Post
Me too. Scared as all heck. We all got the flu when we went in October. I would never go back to WDW again, even though we did have a nice time (it was my first time there). We got sick on the last day, and yes, we caught it there.

We were sick for weeks afterwards. Complications, horrible. One of the worst experiences of my life.

It was my first trip there, and my last. I know you can get sick anywhere, but I think there are some unique conditions at Disney that make it much more probable.

There are just too many people there, it's too crowded, too many people touching the same things. And no offense, but too many people from all over the world, bring all sorts of foreign germs, crammed into one place. (again, not a diss on the people, just the exposure to strange germs that everyone is getting, including the international visitors).
Illness happens. It's part of being alive. Your immune systems got a workout, and they are all the stronger for it. There's nothing different about WDW vs commuting and going to work, apart from probably getting nowhere near enough sleep, and possibly eating junky food the whole time.

The people that commute to Seattle with my husband are exposed to whatever is at his work, and his job involves 10 guys traveling ALL over the world. They bring stuff home, they breathe while on buses, etc. You're exposed all the time to everything. IT wasn't WDW's fault. Next time get more sleep, eat proper food if that was an issue, don't burn the candle at all ends if that was an issue (my family has a tendency to WANT to do early mornings as well as late nights, and it's almost impossible to do it all and not collapse). Have a better trip.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

As much as it seems to be someplace magical, WDW is still in the real world. People get sick, thieves steal things, bad CMs with the good...I'm sorry for all of you who have had miserable experiences at Disney; all I can say is you just gotta roll with the punches and keep on going, keep on going...
Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
Mickey 2013
Earning My Ears

Scared to go back to WDW?? :(

First off let me tell you how sorry I am you had to threw any of that!!! ,but you are doing the rite thing by going back.Just learn from the things on your last trip.One way to get rid of the bad memories is to go back and make MAGICAL new ones.Kids being sick I can so understand the concern for that,but dont let some person( I hate to even use that word) take away from you and your wonderful family making some great Disney memories!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
LuckyGirl777
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Yep.
Illness happens. It's part of being alive. Your immune systems got a workout, and they are all the stronger for it. There's nothing different about WDW vs commuting and going to work, apart from probably getting nowhere near enough sleep, and possibly eating junky food the whole time.

The people that commute to Seattle with my husband are exposed to whatever is at his work, and his job involves 10 guys traveling ALL over the world. They bring stuff home, they breathe while on buses, etc. You're exposed all the time to everything. IT wasn't WDW's fault. Next time get more sleep, eat proper food if that was an issue, don't burn the candle at all ends if that was an issue (my family has a tendency to WANT to do early mornings as well as late nights, and it's almost impossible to do it all and not collapse). Have a better trip.
No, you're not better off after getting complications from the flu such as pneumonia. Not at all. That's a really callous thing to say to someone who watched her kids be so sick.

And yes, I do think that WDW is different than regular life, specifically that the risk of contracting an infectious disease is much higher there. Very crowded, people all touching the same things, people from all over the world sharing viruses with each other, people who don't want to cancel their trips going there sick when they should be home, lots of kids and their hygiene issues, the list goes on and on.

As far as your lifestyle advice, thank you very much. We got plenty of rest and ate very well.

It's obviously not WDW's fault, but again, I do think there are very concrete factors that raise one's risk of contracting an infectious disease there, which I listed above.
LuckyGirl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #22
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
It's obviously not WDW's fault, but again, I do think there are very concrete factors that raise one's risk of contracting an infectious disease there, which I listed above.
Very real -- you got all those people from different regions, passing germs and viruses to other from different regions, and none of them have any systemic immunity to them...

It's a literal bacterial melting pot! So before you go, make sure you're in the best shape you can be, take supplements to bolster your immune system, practice good hygiene, and try to avoid people who are obviously ill.

Get plenty of rest, stay hydrated, eat several small meals instead of fewer big ones, and keep your "city ears" on -- thieves know about the "theme park IQ drop" and count on it to make their pickings easier.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

When you have lots of purchases, ask that they be either sent to your resort for pick up the next day OR have them sent to the front of the park for pickup as you leave for the day. That way you don't have to take them with you on the attractions or leave them unattended.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #24
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Safer way to climb or descend stairs if you can't reach the handrail or if lighting is poor: Put both feet on each step.

That is, after putting one foot on the next step, bring your other foot to the same step, not the one after.

To further reduce the chances of getting sick, don't touch food with your bare hands or fingers even if you just washed them. Learn how to use a napkin to pick up food items. Yes this requires practice to avoid dropping the item.

Health hints: http://www.cockam.com/health.htm
Old 01-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
micandsofsmom
Earning My Ears

Thank you all so much for the advice and pep talks. Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else to make you feel a bit better. I will be taking some advice away from here like maybe ditching the stroller, and just moving at a slower pace for my kiddies (not that we ever ran them rampant before, but I'm sure you get my point!). I also will be doing the backpack or cross body bag thing!!! As for the germs, yes they or us can pick them up anywhere... But I do agree that in Disney it's a multitude of things happening when you have that many people, all touching and sharing the same places, and people from all over the world who may not have the same health practices or hygiene practices as others, coming together....well ya gotta just hope for the best. We do get plenty of rest, take vitamins and probiotics and are sticklers for hand washing, but I guess sometimes you just can't help it! It happens!!!! I hope that when I go back in April it's an event free trip!!!! :thumbsup:
micandsofsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #26
Robbi
DIS Veteran

OP, I got the stomach 3 years in a row on our Disney trips. Kept on going though. It hasn't happened again for the past few years. Maybe I have immunity to the Disney bug.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #27
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Seeing all the things that people leave in their strollers and go merrily on their way, I am just surprised that more of this theft of strollers doesn't happen. Just because it's Disney does not mean thieves are not there watching for opportunities. I have seen very nice cameras just hanging there, lots of packages, clothing, you name it.

Most people wouldn't dream of doing this at their local mall, but yet common sense seems to go out the window at Disney.

People just watch for opportunities - like seeing someone walk away to more than one attraction and just leaving their strollers in one spot.

Just leave things in the stroller that you won't mind terribly if it goes missing.
Also, I would never bring a really expensive stroller to Disney - just MHO.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #28
nan1217
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I would never go back to WDW again, even though we did have a nice time (it was my first time there).
But you still hang out on DISboards?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #29
Kaylasmomma
Mouseketeer

This is actually the first time I've ever heard of a stroller being taken.
My MIL left a bag at a table I'm Epcot ..10 mins later when we went back it was nowhere

I too always forget that Disney will deliver purchases to your room...take advantage of that.

Sorry you had bad trip
Kaylasmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #30
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan1217

But you still hang out on DISboards?
Right! What is that all about?
You can get sick anywhere and catch the flu anywhere. Sorry you all got sick but unless you live in a bubble you are going to catch something sometime. Blaming "foreigners" for strange germs seems wrong me. Just my opinion.

Go back to WDW and have a great time!!! Good luck
2001 - Disney Cruise (Eastern)
2003 - Disney Cruise (Western)
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Trish.Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: