Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
micandsofsmom
Earning My Ears

Scared to go back to WDW?? :(

Someone please help me get over this....our last trip was 11/27-12-3. I'm sad to say for the first time EVER it was a nightmare. But a nightmare I'm having a hard time getting over! We had our double jogging stroller stollen, and everything in it, went with the thief. After waiting nearly 45 minutes for security to come, and giving a report, my husband found the stroller outside of the new Jack Sparrow experience upside down and completely wiped out of all of our belongings. My kids Christmas hats, sweatshirts, extra clothes and basically everything we had was gone. We went on with our trip and tried to forget it. It was my DD's 5th birthday and it was just a crappy way to spend our day at DHS! To top it off, on our trip home, my DS, 7, fell ill that morning with a stomach virus he had picked up somewhere on our trip. Poor kid was sick from Orlando to NJ. HORRIBLE! I think that has me more traumatized than anything else! He was just so sick! I really don't like traveling during this particular time of year because of the increase in colds, flu, and tummy bugs and now I will probably never do it again. The Christmas parade taping was on my bucket list so that's why we went, along with it being DD's birthday! We have a 5 day 4 night trip planned in April and I'm already panicked about germs, and thieves! Help!!!!!!! I love Disney so much and don't want to feel like this! I'm usually super excited counting the days an now I'm just nervous!!!!
micandsofsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
kwitcherkicken99
Sleep keeps me pretty. CAFFEINE keeps me NICE!
This vicarious living is wonderful!
I'll take getting my feet up all the way

It was one trip. And it was a nightmare.

All the more reason to have a do over.
kwitcherkicken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Well, flu should be done by April, so no worries there.
Never know when kids might get sick, it's a chance you take no matter where you go, so it may as well be Disney.
As for the thief... again, could happen anywhere. Don't leave anything unattended that you would be devastated losing. Get a locker for things you may want later on but don't want to lug around with you.
Have a great trip!

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

I understand how you feel. I've been there...not just with trips like that, but with other things like when a family visit turns into WW3 or something. It makes you dread, but the thing is, not every moment ends up the same so you'll probably have a great trip experience.

I've had some rotten trip experiences, including being sick and only seeing a hotel room for an entire vacation (though to be fair the hotel room in question was amazing and vintage with super high ceilings so yeah it was nice). This year I wanted the holidays to be so special, but nooooo, I got the flu which turned into bronchitis and then started to go pneumonia on me. Birthday, Christmas, New Years RUINED, but that still didn't stop me from finding the good in it all. There were some good moments, so I try to focus on that.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
DisneyMamaJen
Earning My Ears

Sorry your trip had those unexpected events. We were in Disney in October and my youngest daughter, age 2, got ick the day the plane landed and didn't get better until the day we left. It definitely changed our trip but that could happen anywhere. We are headed back in 17 days and I'm hoping no one gets sick. But I wouldn't worry about the things you can't on troll.

On the stroller, yep that stinks too for sure. It's one reason we never leave anything we can't replace in the stroller. We either carry it with us or get a locker.

Hope your next trip is magical and can replace the bad memories.
DisneyMamaJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I'm sorry you had such bad luck on your trip. I hope your next one is magical in every way!

A word to the wise.....bring a backpack or other large bag with you to put your things in. Take it with you on every ride, show, etc. This way - you won't have anything in the stroller to entice a thief into taking yours. An empty stroller doesn't seem as inviting to steal as one with packages!

The illnesses couldn't be prevented, and I'm sorry you had to deal with this. We were there at the same time, and also had stomach viruses.

Enjoy your next Disney vacation! Everything will be fine!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Just carry your stuff with you and you should be all right. I always see strollers packed with crap (purses even), left out while people are in Nemo or on a ride.. just asking for trouble..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Reddy
Scrapbooker

what ages are your kids??? if DS7 is the youngest try not taking a stroller & going slower
use a backpack that is small enough to take on the rides with you
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Our son got super sick a few years ago when we went in December - It was a NIGHTMARE. We didn't have a rental car so we had to depend on shuttles to get us back and forth to the clinic. We went through all of the over the counter meds I had packed and had to rely on the gift shop for anything else we needed. My poor little guy was really sick - we spent the majority of our vacation in the room ( a small room at a Value) which made it feel worse - he was even to sick to fly so we had to get a Dr's note and spent hours on the phone with the airline to change his flight for no cost - it was just a nightmare. There is nothing worse than having a sick kiddo and being away from the comforts and conviences of home. It took us a looong time to get up the courage to go back. But we did - and it was fabulous! We have been back several times since then.
That being said you will never see us in FL during the winter/cold/flu season. Yes - I know you can get sick anytime - but we now only travel during the HOT months.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
addicted_to_WDW
He's a teenaged skate rat. I'm a 39 year old woman.
If you hear The Imperial March when you see me.. run for cover!

I've had a stomach bug twice while at WDW. One trip I spent 3 out of 5 days in my hotel room, and the other I had to hit every restroom in the MK trying to make it out of the park and back to the hotel, where I spent the next day and a half recovering. I've had trips where it has rained every day, all day and others where the smoke from wildfires made it hard to breathe all day.

Each bad trip made me want the next all the more. Just go. It will be ok.

I learned early on that unless your kids are tiny (I'm talking preschool or younger) strollers are more trouble than they are worth and I've also learned that you need to carry far less than you think. We carry a small camera backpack with sunscreen, Advil, bandaids and hand sanitizer and have never needed anything else.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
LuckyGirl777
Earning My Ears

Never Again

Me too. Scared as all heck. We all got the flu when we went in October. I would never go back to WDW again, even though we did have a nice time (it was my first time there). We got sick on the last day, and yes, we caught it there.

We were sick for weeks afterwards. Complications, horrible. One of the worst experiences of my life.

It was my first trip there, and my last. I know you can get sick anywhere, but I think there are some unique conditions at Disney that make it much more probable.

There are just too many people there, it's too crowded, too many people touching the same things. And no offense, but too many people from all over the world, bring all sorts of foreign germs, crammed into one place. (again, not a diss on the people, just the exposure to strange germs that everyone is getting, including the international visitors).
LuckyGirl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
bwifan
Mouseketeer

Oh man, I feel your pain.
The worst week of my life was on vacation at d world in October 2009 during a freak heat wave. I won't go into details, but it was a disaster.

We went back, mid June 2012, and had the best time ever. I was scared to go back too. Glad I did. Good luck!
bwifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

So sorry to hear all that happened to you on your last trip! Hopefully everyone will stay healthy for the next one. I have to agree with the other posters and recommend keeping a bag on you instead of leaving it with the stroller- at least for your more valuable items. I used a cross body bag on my last trip that was very comfortable, and I was able to take it on just about every ride with no issues.

Peachkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

Sorry your trip wasn't enjoyable. We all spend lots of money and make all these great plans, but when they don't work out, it's a big let down. Honestly, I am surprised I don't hear more about stroller belongings theft. I saw camera bags, cellphones, designer sunglasses, etc being left in strollers. I was amazed at how trustworthy people are. Like others said, leave no valuables unattended. It just takes 1 idiot to ruin your vacation.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I was there on the same dates and got sick, too. By the last day I was reduced to sitting on the pavement crying through the Christmas parade, and by the time I got home to NY I had pneumonia. Not my best memory!
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: