Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
claire_ont
Mouseketeer

Dining Outside of Disney

We have been to Disney many times but have always eaten inside of Disney since we have not rented a car. For our upcoming trip in January we are planning to rent a car, and were thinking of eating at least some of our meals outside of Disney. Does anyone have any suggestions on good restaurants outside of Disney? We would be looking for 5-6 good quality sit down meals.

Thanks in advance,
Claire

claire_ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Olive Garden, TGI Fridays, Chili's and Cracker Barrel are always on our must-do list. Yes, they are all chains (which may or may not appeal to you) but they are all establishments that we don't have back home. Each gives us a consistently good meal with huge portions at a great price.

We also like Buffalo Wild Wing, if wings are your thing.

We have heard great things about Giordano's Pizza, so we are giving them a try this August.

Cici's is a favourite lunch spot, and the price can't be beat (about $5.99) for all you can eat pizza, pasta, soup, salad and dessert. Its a fave of our teenager,

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Enjoying Life
Mouseketeer

If you've got a car, you might want to try the Winter Park area: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...k_Florida.html
Enjoying Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
claire_ont
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Olive Garden, TGI Fridays, Chili's and Cracker Barrel are always on our must-do list. Yes, they are all chains (which may or may not appeal to you) but they are all establishments that we don't have back home. Each gives us a consistently good meal with huge portions at a great price.

We also like Buffalo Wild Wing, if wings are your thing.

We have heard great things about Giordano's Pizza, so we are giving them a try this August.

Cici's is a favourite lunch spot, and the price can't be beat (about $5.99) for all you can eat pizza, pasta, soup, salad and dessert. Its a fave of our teenager,
We may do a couple of these. Quick and inexpensive. We have been to Olive Garden and TGI Friday's before. I too have heard good things about Giordano's Pizza, though I have never tried it. I might have to this trip.

Quote:
If you've got a car, you might want to try the Winter Park area: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...k_Florida.html
Anna's Polish Restaurant looks like a must do. We read the menu and have added it to the list. Need to search through the rest of the restaurants on this list.

Claire

Old 05-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Here are two links that may be helpful:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=498998 - this is the Best Offsite Restaurants thread. Very long and consequently repetitive, but contains a lot of good suggestions.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=463 - listing of restaurants in Celebration -- one of our favorite places to dine offsite.

Our two personal faves are both in Celebration -- the Columbia Restaurant, where we eat EVERY trip to the Orlando area, whether or not we're doing Disney; and Kilwins -- chocolate and ice cream to die for...right around the corner from Columbia.

Cracker Barrel, mentioned above is very good. It's a chain, basically country cooking. Big portions, good food, great store.

Buffalo Wild Wings is a sports bar. Good wings, wide variety of sauces and other stuff. Not bad. We don't go there because we have Sports Grill here in Miami which has the best wings on the planet...but BWW is fine for a casual place.

Last edited by JimMIA; 05-20-2013 at 05:49 PM.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

The bottom line with offsite restaurants is this:
  • Very wide variety in menus, quality, and prices -- compared to Disney's standard food, most of which is prepared in central kitchens.
  • BETTER food offsite, whether you are dining at McDonalds or fine dining.
  • Much lower prices. Not what you may be used to at home, but much lower than Disney's inflated prices.

Incidentally, we eat almost all of our meals OFFsite -- whether we're staying offsite or on-property. It's just better than Disney.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
LetsDoDisney!
Mouseketeer

Giordano's

We tried Giordano's for the first time a few weeks ago and used a restaurant.com gift certificate. We didn't care for it at all, and won't be going back.

We didn't care for our waiter (paid WAY to much attention to us because there were very few other people there) , whom we could barely understand.

We also didn't care for the pizza. The breadsticks were good though.

I think we were overly expectant here because everyone said it was so good. I didn't even care for the atmosphere, very dark. I know everyone seems to like it but to each his own I guess.

We like TGIF and other chains as well too. We have never gone to Celebration but people talk about it alot, is it a town? What's there besides restaurants? Chocolate and ice cream are faves of mine!

LetsDoDisney! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsDoDisney! View Post
We have never gone to Celebration but people talk about it alot, is it a town? What's there besides restaurants? Chocolate and ice cream are faves of mine!
Its a town built by Disney. You can check it out here:

http://celebrationtowncenter.com/

And here is the Kilwins that JimMIA mentioned. OMG....it looks divine :

https://www.kilwins.com/

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
claire_ont
Mouseketeer

JimMIA - Thanks for the links to the threads. After many trips to Disney we are looking forward to eating off property. We will still eat some meals on site, but really looking forward to some diversity. Columbia Restaurant looks very good, and well, what can I say, Kilwins just looks insanely decadent. That will rate as a must do.

I think we might give Cracker Barrel a try as well.

Thanks!

Claire

Old 05-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
i*heart*minniemouse
Mouseketeer

http://www.millersalehouse.com/locations

Family friendly...great specials and easy access to Animal Kingdom area and also Saratoga Springs/DTD area. 2 different locations. My DH would eat here every night if I let him!!

Barb

DVC-OKW since 1997
i*heart*minniemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
leelee9878
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i*heart*minniemouse View Post
http://www.millersalehouse.com/locations

Family friendly...great specials and easy access to Animal Kingdom area and also Saratoga Springs/DTD area. 2 different locations. My DH would eat here every night if I let him!!

Barb
Love the ale house! They have the best house salads and I don't know why lol. They also have very large nachos!
March 2009- Suprise Parents at Disney - SSR
December 2009- Crazy Family Trip #1 AKV Kidani
May 2010- Disney Magic, 11 Night Med Cruise
September 2010- Last Minute Birthday Surprise BWV & BLT
November 2010- Disney Wonder, 3 Night Bahamas Cruise
December 2010- Crazy Family Trip#2 BCV
November 2011- Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas Cruise & SSR
December 2011 - Last Min Trip - OKW
January 2012 - Hawaii - Aulani!!!
leelee9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

We will be doing mostly offsite dining on our trip in November. Very much looking forward to giving Columbia a try.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
alicia080979
DIS Veteran

Our absolute must do when we are at Disney is eat at Flippers Pizza (more than once if we can fit it in). They have some of the best pizza (and garlic bread sticks) we have ever had. We have been to the one in Old Towne Celebration and the Lake Buena Vista one right off Hotel Blvd past DTD. Our favorite is probably the Lake Buena Vista one solely because they have more space than the Old Town location. Food is always great at both.

June 2014-Quick trip for SWW then off to the beach!

September 2014-Beach Club Villas for 11 days of Magic!

Me DH DD (6mo) DS (16) Ellie :
alicia080979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Zoebear
Mouseketeer

Great ideas - a further question

Hi all,
These are some great suggestions. Has anyone with food allergies had any recent experience at these restaurants ? My son has a peanut allergy and we usually cook ourselves or dine at Disney during our trips. It would be great to know if any of these are allergy-friendly

Thanks!

Zoebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
ninamouse
Mouseketeer

The Cracker Barrell for breakfast is a must - it's fab!

Also Olive Garden, Tony Roma's and Paccino's for a great steak.

There's also a mexican place on the 192 which is good fun. I can't remember the name but they have a small mexican band which perform around the tables.

If you want something really special then The Columbia in Celebration is beautiful and you must try their Sangria Cava!

Me: DF: DS7: DS5:

Disneyland California 1990
Disneyland California 1993
WDW 1995
WDW 2002
WDW 2005
WDW 2008
WDW CBR 2013
ninamouse is offline   Reply With Quote