Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #2056
dznyacct
DIS Veteran
 
dznyacct's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyarewegoingback View Post
I also want to thank everyone on this board. We just came back from a week long stay at AKL Jambo House. Here are some observations.

-Check in was the best I ever had at Disney. Someone met me at the entrance, walked me in, same CM got my online checkin packet, gave it to me, room was ready and my requests were met (Arusha savannah, zebra trail, near elevator). It was the fastest checkin and room readiness ever!
-My daughter loved the beaded activities. We used the shuttle back and forth several times and it really is convenient and fast. I wish other resorts had more "activities" beyond pool and community room activities. This really does make it okay that you can't walk from AKL to a park.
-We loved talking the CMs from Africa and learning about their country. Yes the other parts of Disney has cast members from all over the world, but I don't get the ask me about my home feeling from them. They are so super busy with the responsibilities.
-Loved Boma and the zebra domes of course.
-Yes AKL is far, but when I compare the bus ride to stopping at all the stops of CSR or POR before going to the park, it really is just about the same time.
-We enjoyed being away from the bustle of the resorts.
-And finally, how do you respond about how was your vacation? An AKL savannah view is just indescribable....

-Virginia
Hi - Do you happen to still have the sheet listing the activities? We are headed to AKL in a few weeks and I am very interested in the resort activities during our "down time". It would be fabulous if you could post a picture . Thanks
__________________
dznyacct is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #2057
Koh1977
DIS Veteran
 
Koh1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshoes View Post
Will be staying at AKL for the first time in July 22 for 10 nights with my 2 boys ( ages 15 and 16) we have arusha bunk bed room.

My first question is ....it is worth it ? do you get a better animal view in the arusha or is the savanna good enough? I am also thinking of adding the club level but what are the advantages ? since my boys are teenagers ( their first solo trip since their father passed away) I want them to be busy with things to do ( specially their age type of activities)

We have the deluxe dining but I have no reservations for any restaurant ( will the club level take care of that for me once we are there?)

Thanks

Linnette
I haven't been to AKL so I can't comment on the savannah questions. Club Level isn't going to give you more activities to do with the boys necessarily. Yes, if you book CL, the IPO can make ADRs for you, but I wouldn't wait until you get to the resort to have them do that...otherwise your options will be severely limited.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #2058
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me
 
dgbg100106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 47,389

Quote:
Originally Posted by precious pixie View Post
I am soo excited that my bf and I will be arriving at AKL on 6/29!!!



I have been to disney 20+ times and have yet to stay here. This is his first trip to Disney and I am soo excited that thanks to a wonderful disser we were able to rent points for a Savannah View studio in the Jambo house.
I have added you to the list

June
bakie21, May 27th – 4th, Kidani
wendypooh, May 30th - 10th, Aulani
Pinkocto, May 31st – 3rd, AKV
Brave teacher, May 31st – 7th, Jambo House
Denamac, 1st – 9th, AKV Jambo House
FoursCompany, 1st – 9th , AKL
Nutty4Disney, 2nd - 8th, AKV Kidani Village
Cheer25mom, 2nd – 9th, AKV Kidani
Pseudacris, 3rd – 7th, AKL
ILoveMagic, 8th – 14th, AKL
goofyredraider, 8th -16th, AKL CL
DisneyDmbNut, 9th – 14th, AKL
livibug, 13th – 21st, AKV Jambo House
DevonsDisneyMom, 14th – 21st, AKV
goofyredraider, 16th -23rd, BC
alwaysdisney, 28th – 29th, AKL
precious pixie, 29th - ?, AKL Jambo
__________________
Brandi & David Thanks Lulu's Mom

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #2059
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me
 
dgbg100106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 47,389

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshoes View Post
Will be staying at AKL for the first time in July 22 for 10 nights with my 2 boys ( ages 15 and 16) we have arusha bunk bed room.

My first question is ....it is worth it ? do you get a better animal view in the arusha or is the savanna good enough? I am also thinking of adding the club level but what are the advantages ? since my boys are teenagers ( their first solo trip since their father passed away) I want them to be busy with things to do ( specially their age type of activities)

We have the deluxe dining but I have no reservations for any restaurant ( will the club level take care of that for me once we are there?)

Thanks

Linnette

I have added you to the list

July
Marinolichfamily, 5th – 13th, AKV
Polynesian27, 5th – 13th, Kidani
mamaprincess, 7th – 12th, BWV
sharon78, 8th-18th, AKL
mamaprincess, 12th – 18th, AKV Jambo
d's do Disney, 17th – 20th, AKL CL
Z28KatCar, 18th - Aug1st, AKL CL
tinkermama117, 21st – 26th, Jambo House
loveshoes, 22nd – 31st, AKL
Anjalee6, 29th – Aug 3rd, AKL
Sarah4291, 29th – Aug 12th, AKL
aVASTGrl, 30th – Aug 4th, AKL
The Marsons, 31st – Aug 4th, AKL Jambo
__________________
Brandi & David Thanks Lulu's Mom

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #2060
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me
 
dgbg100106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 47,389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
I haven't been to AKL so I can't comment on the savannah questions. Club Level isn't going to give you more activities to do with the boys necessarily. Yes, if you book CL, the IPO can make ADRs for you, but I wouldn't wait until you get to the resort to have them do that...otherwise your options will be severely limited.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
If you move to CL you will have the option to do the Sunrise Safari, (extra dollars), and they can make your ADR's 180 days out for you, all you have to do is email them.

They can also take care of any other Disney related reservations for you. (tours... Etc...)
__________________
Brandi & David Thanks Lulu's Mom

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #2061
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS
 
kellyg403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,355

Love to be added to the list!

Dec 1-8, AL CL, Party of 4!

This will be our second time doing CL and third at AKL. This is my dh's favorite resort so we end up here each and every year. He puts up with my WDW fetish, I let him have the resort choice.

I will admit though, I like to try others so we are actually arriving the day before. Last year we stayed the first night at All Star Sports. This year we are staying the night before at Poly. I am trying to convince him a castle view would be worth it.

Kelly
__________________
kellyg403 is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #2062
johnsonet
DIS Veteran
 
johnsonet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SC
Posts: 5,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
We'll be there 8/2-8/9!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
we will be there at the same time.

****actually, I just moved our trip up to June. I just couldn't wait until August ****

psac

heavenly pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshoes View Post
Will be staying at AKL for the first time in July 22 for 10 nights with my 2 boys ( ages 15 and 16) we have arusha bunk bed room.

My first question is ....it is worth it ? do you get a better animal view in the arusha or is the savanna good enough? I am also thinking of adding the club level but what are the advantages ? since my boys are teenagers ( their first solo trip since their father passed away) I want them to be busy with things to do ( specially their age type of activities)

We have the deluxe dining but I have no reservations for any restaurant ( will the club level take care of that for me once we are there?)

Thanks

Linnette
Arusha is the best which is why they (unfortunately) started charging more for it.
If you can afford it, Club Level is great and I'm quite sure you and your boys would enjoy the lounge and its offerings. It's nice to have extra room to sit and read or watch tv, rather than all hanging out in your room
Itinerary Planning can help you with booking dining reservations and any tours you might be interested in. They can do this long before you arrive - or once you're there.
I hope you have a great trip.

Last edited by johnsonet; 04-27-2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: changed trip dates
johnsonet is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #2063
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS
 
kellyg403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
we will be there at the same time.

psac

heavenly pics




Arusha is the best which is why they (unfortunately) started charging more for it.
If you can afford it, Club Level is great and I'm quite sure you and your boys would enjoy the lounge and its offerings. It's nice to have extra room to sit and read or watch tv, rather than all hanging out in your room
Itinerary Planning can help you with booking dining reservations and any tours you might be interested in. They can do this long before you arrive - or once you're there.
I hope you have a great trip.
I agree with Club Level. When dh and I went alone, we did not book CL as we prefer to do Deluxe Dining and I prefer to do most of our reservations. However, when we went with our grandsons we did regular dining to maximize park time and had breakfast in the lounge before starting our day. Also was great to have the Sunrise Safari available to book as CL guest. It was the highlight of the boys week.

CL only booked our BOG adr, which we later cancelled when I looked through the menu and wasn't sure the boys would be interested. They were able to get us an ADR without me staying on the phone for hours. Everything else I did on my own, including Dessert Party.

CL was awesome. We also were given a bunkbed room which we did not ask for so that felt like an upgrade! Service, the CL everything was perfect.

Kelly
__________________
kellyg403 is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #2064
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me
 
dgbg100106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 47,389

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyg403 View Post
Love to be added to the list!

Dec 1-8, AL CL, Party of 4!

This will be our second time doing CL and third at AKL. This is my dh's favorite resort so we end up here each and every year. He puts up with my WDW fetish, I let him have the resort choice.

I will admit though, I like to try others so we are actually arriving the day before. Last year we stayed the first night at All Star Sports. This year we are staying the night before at Poly. I am trying to convince him a castle view would be worth it.

Kelly
You have been added to the list...

You might find most here on this thread will agree with your DH...

December
patclairesmom, Nov 29th – 3rd, AKV Jambo
saratogastehr, Nov 29th – 6th, AKL Jambo
CupcakeKelly, 1st – 6th, AKV
eagles1281, 1st – 6th, Kidani
kellyg403, 1st – 8th, AKL CL
mmafan, 3rd – 12th, AKL Jambo
Pinkocto, 6th – 10th, AKV CL
thornton0511, 6th -14th, AKL
Pghsteelerfan, 7th -14th, AKV Jambo
Lorelei528, 7th - 14th, AKL
dansamy, 8th – 14th, Kidani
Heidijanesmith, 16th – 23rd, AKL CL
lovin'fl, 20th – 25th, AKV Kidani
Bluesky1997, 26th – 29th, AKL CL
__________________
Brandi & David Thanks Lulu's Mom

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #2065
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS
 
kellyg403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
You have been added to the list...

You might find most here on this thread will agree with your DH...

December
patclairesmom, Nov 29th – 3rd, AKV Jambo
saratogastehr, Nov 29th – 6th, AKL Jambo
CupcakeKelly, 1st – 6th, AKV
eagles1281, 1st – 6th, Kidani
kellyg403, 1st – 8th, AKL CL
mmafan, 3rd – 12th, AKL Jambo
Pinkocto, 6th – 10th, AKV CL
thornton0511, 6th -14th, AKL
Pghsteelerfan, 7th -14th, AKV Jambo
Lorelei528, 7th - 14th, AKL
dansamy, 8th – 14th, Kidani
Heidijanesmith, 16th – 23rd, AKL CL
lovin'fl, 20th – 25th, AKV Kidani
Bluesky1997, 26th – 29th, AKL CL
Thank you for the add! And yes, I love AKL as well..just so many resorts to choose from I am not sure it is my favorite of all.

But then again, I love Epcot. DH loves AK. I would really love to try a Boardwalk resort so I can walk to Epcot.

But we do see ourselves staying at AKL for all future trips in some fashion. Dh is such a good sport about my addiction, he certainly deserves to choose the location.

Kelly
__________________
kellyg403 is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #2066
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me
 
dgbg100106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 47,389

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyg403 View Post
Thank you for the add! And yes, I love AKL as well..just so many resorts to choose from I am not sure it is my favorite of all.

But then again, I love Epcot. DH loves AK. I would really love to try a Boardwalk resort so I can walk to Epcot.

But we do see ourselves staying at AKL for all future trips in some fashion. Dh is such a good sport about my addiction, he certainly deserves to choose the location.

Kelly
Our "home" Beach club, and love being able to walk to Epcot, but we found you MUST have park hoppers if you stay there....

Boardwalk is a lot of fun also, but I know some people are creeped out by the clown slide.
__________________
Brandi & David Thanks Lulu's Mom

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #2067
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!
 
kimmar067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: "Exit 16W" of the Land of the Last!
Posts: 90,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post

You might find most here on this thread will agree with your DH...
...amen, sistah...
__________________
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #2068
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS
 
kellyg403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Our "home" Beach club, and love being able to walk to Epcot, but we found you MUST have park hoppers if you stay there....

Boardwalk is a lot of fun also, but I know some people are creeped out by the clown slide.
We do typically get ph becuase my dh also does not like to stay in a park he feels is too crowded.

I can see myself walking to Epcot every single night for dinner at the different countries.

Someday, but for now AKL it is. And fwiw, dh is thinking we should buy dvc with AK as the home resort. I told him I would consider it IF we try other resorts for at least one night. So win win.

Kelly
__________________
kellyg403 is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #2069
Koh1977
DIS Veteran
 
Koh1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyg403 View Post

We do typically get ph becuase my dh also does not like to stay in a park he feels is too crowded.

I can see myself walking to Epcot every single night for dinner at the different countries.

Someday, but for now AKL it is. And fwiw, dh is thinking we should buy dvc with AK as the home resort. I told him I would consider it IF we try other resorts for at least one night. So win win.

Kelly
I'm waiting for the Poly DVC! :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #2070
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS
 
kellyg403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
I'm waiting for the Poly DVC! :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Funny...before when we had the kids (who are now grownups) going with us each year to WDW and we stayed usually at Mod's or values because we needed two rooms, the Poly was one of Dh's dreams. He has forsaken all others for the AKL...

Kelly
__________________
kellyg403 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: