Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
ski_mom
DIS Veteran

Looking for a new camera

Hopefully I'm posting in the right place !

I'm looking to get a new basic point and shoot camera. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but the things that I like are a good optical zoom and something that will take pictures quickly.

I know (I think I do anyway) how to look for a good zoom. It seems to be stated plainly on whatever camera you're looking at - 10X optical zoom, 12X optical zoom, etc.

What I don't understand is how to compare which camera will take pictures quickly.

Or, do any point and shoot camera do that?

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
havoc315
DIS Veteran

"Quickly" is harder to evaluate, as it depends on various factors, many of which are controlled by the operator. Including, what do you mean by quickly?
Focus quickly? The amount of time it takes to focus is often dependent on the lighting and subject, though some cameras are better than others.
Shutter lag time? In other words, once you press the shutter.. how quickly is the picture taken? This is always a fraction of a second, though some cameras are faster than others.
Or do you mean a burst rate? How many pictures can the camera take in 1 second? Some cameras really can just take 1 picture per second, some can snap 10 or more frames per second.

You'll see the "burst rate" listed in the specs, as frames per second.
Shutter lag time you will sometimes see in the specs, but the differences are usually minor.

The autofocus speed is often the complaint of point& shoot users -- You won't find it listed in the specs, at least not directly. (The type of auto focus system, the type of sensor will be listed, from which you can start to infer types of things about the auto focus speed). You really need to read reviews from places like dpreview, and see how they evaluate the auto focus speed.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
ski_mom
DIS Veteran

Thanks very much for your input!

I guess I'm talking about the shutter lag or burst rate.

My camera just has a problem taking a picture when I want to to take it. And it definately won't do more than one picture per second!

I'll look around dpreview - that looks like what I'm needing!

Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Many cameras to take more than 1 picture per second, need to have their settings switched to the "continuous drive" mode, or something similar.

I still suspect you're talking talking about the auto-focus speed. Most cameras will not take the picture until they lock focus. The shutter lag itself... even a "slow" camera, the shutter lag is less than half of a second. So if you're noticing an issue longer than a half second, it's not shutter lag -- it's getting auto focus lock.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
ski_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Many cameras to take more than 1 picture per second, need to have their settings switched to the "continuous drive" mode, or something similar.

I still suspect you're talking talking about the auto-focus speed. Most cameras will not take the picture until they lock focus. The shutter lag itself... even a "slow" camera, the shutter lag is less than half of a second. So if you're noticing an issue longer than a half second, it's not shutter lag -- it's getting auto focus lock.
Thanks! I'll check into that!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Sometimes settings/modes make a big difference too in the next shot responsiveness.
1) flash "recharge" time can greatly slow down pictures taken with flash ...this is part of the reason many photographers prefer a flash "hot shoe" to add a big bulky flash

2) focus and metering modes. Usually center AF and spot metering are faster than the default multi-focus and multi metering.

3) Multi shot Auto /scenes. Most PnS cameras now have modes that can take multiple shots, then stack them together. HDR is one such mode, that can create better pictures, but it takes a while for the camera to process them.
On my camera, I am more likely to use Auto than Auto+

4) memory card speed. Some memory cards have much faster write speeds than others. This writing speed impacts how long it takes a camera to become ready for the next shot.
For PnS most cameras work best with a class 10 card, but check your cameras specs.

Last edited by hakepb; 03-19-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Auto+
hakepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

Hi,

I am looking for the same thing with a point and shoot camera (I hope you don't mind me jumping in too). I have a DSLR, which I love because it is so responsive and fast (as in when I press the button to take the photo, the photo is taken instantly). I would like a point and shoot that is faster then the one I currently have that is so unresponsive I miss all the shots I want. I totally understand that a PnS will not ever be the same as my DSLR. I've also read over and over again, that you need to press the button half way to focus before pressing the button fully. I do that and still my photos are blurry-usually because my squirmy kids move as the photo is being taken. Sometimes I just don't want to lug or carry around my huge DLSR-like 12+ hours at Disneyland. Here is where I need help:

How to I determine how long it takes the flash to recharge? Is there a spec for that?

I'm also reading a lot about processing time and such...is there a spec for that?

I'm just trying to avoid getting another PnS that I hate because NONE of the photos turn out. Thank you!
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal1313 View Post
Hi,

I am looking for the same thing with a point and shoot camera (I hope you don't mind me jumping in too). I have a DSLR, which I love because it is so responsive and fast (as in when I press the button to take the photo, the photo is taken instantly). I would like a point and shoot that is faster then the one I currently have that is so unresponsive I miss all the shots I want. I totally understand that a PnS will not ever be the same as my DSLR. I've also read over and over again, that you need to press the button half way to focus before pressing the button fully. I do that and still my photos are blurry-usually because my squirmy kids move as the photo is being taken. Sometimes I just don't want to lug or carry around my huge DLSR-like 12+ hours at Disneyland. Here is where I need help:

How to I determine how long it takes the flash to recharge? Is there a spec for that?

I'm also reading a lot about processing time and such...is there a spec for that?

I'm just trying to avoid getting another PnS that I hate because NONE of the photos turn out. Thank you!
There are top quality P&S cameras that are almost as responsive as a dSLR. I use the RX100, which comes pretty darn close to a dSLR in responsiveness.

Yes, you can find flash re-charge rates, but that's not really going to be your difficulty.

There are lots of reasons that photos don't come out as well in a P&S. Really depends on the particular model, the overall quality. When you have lenses with smaller apertures (as is common in P&S), you need slower shutter speeds to get adequate light.. Leading to blurred pictures. Small sensor P&S cameras can't really use high ISO... lower ISO... needs slower shutter speed... blurred pics. Older and cheaper P&S cameras, may also have lower quality auto focus systems.. harder to get focus, missing pictures.

There are high performing P&S cameras, but they aren't cheap. When people ask for a camera that is under $200 that can "do it all"... they simply won't find what they are looking for.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

Oh how I want the RX100! I've read so many glowing reviews! But alas, it's just not in my price range at the moment. I am willing to go up to $300-350 =) Maybe I should just save up for the RX100........hmm Thank you for the response.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal1313 View Post
Oh how I want the RX100! I've read so many glowing reviews! But alas, it's just not in my price range at the moment. I am willing to go up to $300-350 =) Maybe I should just save up for the RX100........hmm Thank you for the response.
It's amazing how many reviews I've read suggesting that it's well worth the price. But as it's been out long enough now, there has been a tiny bit of price movement... You can now find it for about $600.

Though for people who really do need to watch the wallet, I've seen good things from the Canon S100/S110.

Here is a very informative line from the DXOMark review of the Canon S110:

"If you are looking for a really compact camera that will produce very good results when the conditions are fair: the Canon Powershot S110 is very well worth including on your shortlist. However, if you are able to find a Canon Powershot S100 then in relative terms you will have got a bargain. For those who are looking for a more versatile piece of equipment the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 with significantly better low light performance is the more professional tool, with a larger sensor it more than justifies the extra cost."

Current Amazon pricing, FYI:
Canon S110 -- About $400
S100 -- $350
RX100 -- Still $650 on Amazon, but I've seen it for $600 in a few isolated places.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
hakepb
DIS Veteran

You might want to check out the Panasonic LX7 that's currently going for $299 on sites like Amazon:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx7
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

I was almost sold on a Panasonic until I read a bunch of reviews where people were complaining about customer service and warranty issues. I usually don't pay any attention if there are a couple bad reviews, but there was a significant amount all complaining about the same issue.

I will look into the Cannons, thank you!

There are SO many camera's to choose from, I'm starting to get overwhelmed!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

$299 is a great price on the Lumix lx7.
I picked up the lumix lx5 as a back up to my dslr a few months ago and pretty pleased with it so far.
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
You might want to check out the Panasonic LX7 that's currently going for $299 on sites like Amazon:
For the price, I've read great things about the LX7, but I don't have any handson experience. But seems like a great lens and good overall package. Tough to beat for under $300.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
I do agree that the LX7 would be worth looking at for that price!

While I'm intrigued by the Sony DSC-RX100, it's just out of my price range. If I had that type of money budgeted I personally would be more inclined to use it for a new lens or buy a micro 4/3 system.

I've still got time before my trip, but I'm currently have the canon s110, Panasonic LX7 on my wish list in case there prices drop.

In case people are not aware of it camelcamelcamel.com is a great site to check the pricing history of items from Amazon or Best Buy. Just punch in a products item number and it will give you graph of the daily price of an item over the last 6+ months along with its highest, lowest and average price.
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: