Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Flying Pig Marathon

We're thinking of running the 1/2. Has anyone run the Flying Pig? Loads of fun? Would you recommend it or do it again?
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

I have done the flying pig (3 yrs ago this year) and I think it would be a fun race- for us it poured and the starting corrals were underwater before we even got there, so not nearly as much fun as it could be. It's a bit hilly with some great views somewhere between mile 8ish and 10ish which I'm sure would be even better if the sun wasn't liquid. The expo was great and the community there really supported the race. Had a fun time even in the pouring rain!

I'd say do it

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
mickeysgal

No one else has run this race?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

I asked about it on another forum and it was highly recommended. I am really considering doing the Marathon this year. The medal is cute, and like a lot of races, the medal gets larger based on the distance and the full marathon has a very nice lanyard.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
queen mimi
Mouseketeer

I am thinking of doing it this year. My son says that I travel all over the country to do half marathons and one of the best in the country is in my own hometown and I haven't done it! Cincinnati is very hilly. I hear from friends who have done it that the worst ones are at the beginning. Towards the end it is downhill. Depending on how I do in the Princess and the impending birth of a new grandson will determine if I do the race.
queen mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Although I haven't done it, I have many friends who have and it's a great race with great crowd support. We don't run it for 2 reasons: 1) I train on tons of hills and don't want to race on them! 2) We run the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon and it is the same weekend.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Interrobang
Earning My Ears

My husband has run the 1/2 pig and had a great time. He also does fulls though so 1/2 is a happy, easy distance for him. I also have friends who've run both the half and the full. It is a great party. Lots of supporters, lots of energy. My husband says the food after is beyond fabulous (compared to Columbus that basically gives you a banana and a chocolate milk). The first half is super hilly though. I can ask my husband if you have any specific questions. I think he's running it again this year.
Interrobang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
robynslp
Mouseketeer

My "dream" is to do Indy on Saturday and Flying Pig on Sunday. With my thyroid removal this spring, I'm thinking its a bad idea.
robynslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynslp
My "dream" is to do Indy on Saturday and Flying Pig on Sunday. With my thyroid removal this spring, I'm thinking its a bad idea.
I had a friend who did that last year and did the full Pig on Sunday too!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
mickeysgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interrobang View Post
My husband has run the 1/2 pig and had a great time. He also does fulls though so 1/2 is a happy, easy distance for him. I also have friends who've run both the half and the full. It is a great party. Lots of supporters, lots of energy. My husband says the food after is beyond fabulous (compared to Columbus that basically gives you a banana and a chocolate milk). The first half is super hilly though. I can ask my husband if you have any specific questions. I think he's running it again this year.
Many of you have mentioned it being hilly - some say super hilly. We now live in the Atlanta region so we're sort of used to it. Here, even in the subdivisions, you're either going up or down - hard to stay on an even surface here. Not that I want to race like that...but is it a crazy first half of the half due to it being so hilly?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Hills are all relative, ya know? I have heard people call the WDW marathon or the ToT hilly and well, that's just funny! I live in the Cincinnati area and we are also always either going up or down. Having said that, there is a fairly large, steep hill between miles 5-8 that often gets people. I think whether or not to do the race is a matter of preference. Is your goal to run a fun, but somewhat challenging course in a new city? Then yes, run the Pig. If you goal is to train really hard and PR for a 1/2 marathon this spring, then no, I wouldn't recommend the Pig. Does that make sense? For me, when I run a race, I typically want to race it full out, so DH and I choose flatter courses, like the Indy Mini-marathon (which is ton of fun and I highly recommend).
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
mickeysgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
Hills are all relative, ya know? I have heard people call the WDW marathon or the ToT hilly and well, that's just funny! I live in the Cincinnati area and we are also always either going up or down. Having said that, there is a fairly large, steep hill between miles 5-8 that often gets people. I think whether or not to do the race is a matter of preference. Is your goal to run a fun, but somewhat challenging course in a new city? Then yes, run the Pig. If you goal is to train really hard and PR for a 1/2 marathon this spring, then no, I wouldn't recommend the Pig. Does that make sense? For me, when I run a race, I typically want to race it full out, so DH and I choose flatter courses, like the Indy Mini-marathon (which is ton of fun and I highly recommend).
I think you opened up a can of worms. Now we're looking at this one. Hard to decide!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal

I think you opened up a can of worms. Now we're looking at this one. Hard to decide!
We will be there! It's the largest 1/2 in the country and just a lot of fun!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
mickeysgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami

We will be there! It's the largest 1/2 in the country and just a lot of fun!
And free beer at the end from what I understand!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal

And free beer at the end from what I understand!
True! Just a warning though....it is Mich Ultra!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: