Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #16
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Dave,

Your post is simply inspirational. You're giving me hope that one day, I can also run/walk a full. Up until now, I've been plain scared and have been sticking to 1/2s. Mileage that starts with a 2...

Thank you, thank you for posting.

Many congratulations to you! RunDisney should read your post. Seriously.

And as a side note:
John VN...I can't go past that McDonalds without thinking about you and your McFlurries. Each and every time, race or no race.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
TEK224

Never gets tired of hearing "You're going to Disney again?!"

Congrats DAve! Welcome to the Goofy Club! I also did my very first half and full as part of the Goofy Challenge (8 years ago). Wish I could say I was as prepared as you were, but I did make it to both finish lines and got the first Goofy medal! It was a great feeling!
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Congratulations!!!! I think you did wonderful, and i want to follow in your footsteps. I am a repeat-injured runner and will likely have to walk in a couple of my upcoming races.

may i ask, what training program did you use for the Goofy? Did you a traditional marathon training program or a special "walking" program?

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
niclodn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight Train View Post
Well, it scared me too! That's an awfully big number when you look at it. I obsessed about my prep work right down to what music I wanted to hear at exact spots on the course, which sounds like overkill but all those efforts that individually produced minor mental improvements collectively got me where I wanted to be.

There were so many great athletes and folks in great shape at the races and I have so much respect for all of them. I'm not that guy, and I'm not sure I ever could be. But it sure feels great knowing I at least finished something I really had no business getting mixed up in.

You're coming in with experience and a you'll have a great pedigree of success to build from. If I can go from a base of zero and ultimately get where I want to be I know you can get where you want to be too!!!
I am the same -- I'll never win any awards. I just hope to cross the finish line Thanks for the vote of confidence! I know I could never walk and maintain a 16-minute mile pace (I have short legs! LOL!), but plan to use the Jeff Galloway training plan and hope that I can find a run/walk ratio that can get me that Goofy medal

Congrats again!
niclodn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

I just cried so many happy tears reading this! How awesome!!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
goofyinohio
DIS Veteran

Dave,

Just remember the only numbers that matter are 1 Donald + 1 Mickey = Goofy. Congrats to you!

goofyinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Amen to the fellow posters and Goofy regulars on here who gave great advice!

Congrats on your Goofy!
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
jyssilly
Earning My Ears

WOW, congratulations!!
What an inspiring story!!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Dave, thank you for your post and your careful description of your strategy in finishing the Goofy. I especially loved your talking about 'slow and steady wins the race.'

While training to walk the PHM, I have been more discouraged than I would like to admit. My endurance is growing but my pace - not so much.

Your wonderful story has reminded me of why I wanted to do all of this in the first place. Thank you - I can conquer this!!!

P.S. And I cried too, reading your story.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #25
Freight Train
Earning My Ears

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! Debbieandroo and others, trust me, if I can do this, you definitely can too! I mean, would you call this clown an athlete???

Yes, I really did wear that during the half. If you saw the weird guy with the propeller beanie, that was me. I figured I'd wear something funny for my kiddo, who ate it up. You can't see the neon green knee-high socks in that photo. That's probably for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaDiWo View Post
Congratulations!!!! I think you did wonderful, and i want to follow in your footsteps. I am a repeat-injured runner and will likely have to walk in a couple of my upcoming races.

may i ask, what training program did you use for the Goofy? Did you a traditional marathon training program or a special "walking" program?
I started out doing 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and then 10 miles on consecutive weekends. Then I added a mile every other weekend and did lesser amounts on the "off" weekends. During the weeks I tried to do at least two miles three times a week, but honestly with a 5 yo and a newborn (during training!) it didn't always happen. A few times, evenly spaced, I did half of my long distance the night before (in other words, walks on consecutive nights) to get used to going on tired legs. I deviated from the training when I did the full Goofy distances that weekend I mentioned in my original post.

That all sounds pretty tedious, and it was, but I tried to keep my mind occupied by focusing on technique and, later, by sort of daydreaming about the course, the finish line, how I would tell doubters I had done it, what I would tell my kiddo about it, and so on. The music, once I got it right, helped too.

I discovered during training that the loop I live on is exactly .25 miles per lap. That made the math easy and, after a safety scare in a neighborhood during a late night session, I decided to just do laps. I figured if I could endure the monotony of the endless laps around the same quarter mile, then Disney would be a pleasant change. Sort of like swinging a bat with a donut on it in the on deck circle. Turns out that strategy did work, but it sure was brutal to train in and my neighbors probably think I'm crazy for doing as many as 105 laps around the neighborhood in one night.

My last session was a second full 26.2 two weeks before the races. I had the bona fide flu over Christmas and it messed with my schedule a little. I did 6.5 the weekend before the race.

Don't know if any of that helps. As Coach says, we are all an experiment of one, but at least I can say that this worked for me at least once!

Last edited by Freight Train; 01-16-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Freight Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #26
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Congratulations!! As someone who walked the 1/2 for the first time, I can only imagine how hard walking the Goofy would be!! A true test of endurance and determination for sure. Much of it truly is a mental challenge and it sounds like you were well prepared physically and mentally.
You should be sooo proud if yourself, you are an inspiration!

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #27
megny
Mouseketeer

Congrats! You are my hero! I've only walked halfs at the point, and I'm totally intimidated by the idea of the full distance... and to do Goofy... You are amazing!!
megny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight Train View Post
As Coach says, we are all an experiment of one, but at least I can say that this worked for me at least once!
Thanks Freight Train, for outlining your training plan for us. I can't wait to try it out. May I ask, who is Coach?

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #29
bmbmd
Earning My Ears

One question.

Would you mind telling me how tall you are? That seems like an awfully fast walking pace. Oh-and congratulations on a job very well done.
bmbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #30
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaDiWo View Post
Thanks Freight Train, for outlining your training plan for us. I can't wait to try it out. May I ask, who is Coach?
Coach Charles is one of the mentors here on the DISboards. His vast knowledge and experience has helped many achieve success. Look back for many outstanding pieces of advice.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: