Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
KerriL
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: RI
Posts: 882

The no expire option is still available on the Disney Travel Agent website...strange.
__________________
DH Me DD27 DS25 DD23 DD12 DS4 Lucky Riley
KerriL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran
 
crazy4wdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,221

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriL View Post
The no expire option is still available on the Disney Travel Agent website...strange.
From what I've been reading on different Disney fan sites, you still purchase the nonexpiration option if you call Central Reservations or ask at the ticket windows at the parks.
__________________

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida and Japan
Posts: 173

I really hope they dont discontinue it, I usually buy a 10 day ticket with no expiration and it works out really well for my family and I , who happen to go there once a year .
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
ChoppityChops
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 94

Honestly, if I were the Disney execs making this decision, I would not allow no-expiration options at all. To have the expectation that you can buy a 10-day ticket, and take 2 5 day trips is absurd. I don't mean this as a flame (just my humble opinion), but I haven't seen a single reason that adequately demonstrates the position that this is something that Disney is required/should be offering; All I've seen are people being angry that they'll have to pay more now.

It's like going to a store, and buying a 12 pack of hamburger buns, and expecting to be able to use 6 now, and then come back in a year and grab the other 6. Discounts are offered for bulk purchases in the immediacy - not to use some time later. I mean, I get that we as consumers don't want to pay more for a product we already get for less, but frankly, this should be more of a "darn - it was great while it lasted" rather than a "woe is us! Disney's screwing us!"

All that said, I do blame Disney for ever offering this option; from a business perspective - terrible idea.
ChoppityChops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida and Japan
Posts: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
....................

It's like going to a store, and buying a 12 pack of hamburger buns, and expecting to be able to use 6 now, and then come back in a year and grab the other 6. Discounts are offered for bulk purchases in the immediacy - not to use some time later. ...............
obviously we look at things differently as I look at it like this...............


It's like going to a store, and buying a 12 pack of hamburger buns, and expecting to be able to use 6 now, and put the other 6 in the freezer for the next weekend . Discounts are offered for bulk purchases to use some time later.

When I go to Sams Club/Costco this is my thinking at least. There is no way I can eat the sizes they sell so I buy in bulk to save money and to use SOME OF IT NOW and SOME OF IT LATER

So yeah we are totally on opposite fences here LOL
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
Honestly, if I were the Disney execs making this decision, I would not allow no-expiration options at all. To have the expectation that you can buy a 10-day ticket, and take 2 5 day trips is absurd. I don't mean this as a flame (just my humble opinion), but I haven't seen a single reason that adequately demonstrates the position that this is something that Disney is required/should be offering; All I've seen are people being angry that they'll have to pay more now.

It's like going to a store, and buying a 12 pack of hamburger buns, and expecting to be able to use 6 now, and then come back in a year and grab the other 6. Discounts are offered for bulk purchases in the immediacy - not to use some time later. I mean, I get that we as consumers don't want to pay more for a product we already get for less, but frankly, this should be more of a "darn - it was great while it lasted" rather than a "woe is us! Disney's screwing us!"

All that said, I do blame Disney for ever offering this option; from a business perspective - terrible idea.
People buy 12 hamburger buns, use 6 now and freeze 6 for later use. OK maybe not buns but certainly meat.

Years ago virtually all Disney tickets never expired. There was a discount, but not a huge discount, as you added days. MYW tikcets allowed guests to add extra days for literally a few dollars. The intent was those days would be used during your current trip. The extra cost to add non-expiry went up at least once. Basically to remove the significant discount you received in adding extra days to a base ticket.

Disney could just increase the cost for no-expiry. Make it even less attractive.

Add me to the posters who think the RFID wrist bands may be the reason why Disney might wind up getting rid of no-expiry altogether.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida and Japan
Posts: 173

Want to add that its a big reason I go to Disney Every year and not Universal Every year.

Because I go to Disney Every year Disney gets a lot more money from me than Universal. I stay at Disney Hotels/eat at their restraurants, buy there products, all things that Universal is missing since they dont offer the bulk pricing option
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #23
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,839

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
Honestly, if I were the Disney execs making this decision, I would not allow no-expiration options at all. To have the expectation that you can buy a 10-day ticket, and take 2 5 day trips is absurd. I don't mean this as a flame (just my humble opinion), but I haven't seen a single reason that adequately demonstrates the position that this is something that Disney is required/should be offering; All I've seen are people being angry that they'll have to pay more now.

It's like going to a store, and buying a 12 pack of hamburger buns, and expecting to be able to use 6 now, and then come back in a year and grab the other 6. Discounts are offered for bulk purchases in the immediacy - not to use some time later. I mean, I get that we as consumers don't want to pay more for a product we already get for less, but frankly, this should be more of a "darn - it was great while it lasted" rather than a "woe is us! Disney's screwing us!"

All that said, I do blame Disney for ever offering this option; from a business perspective - terrible idea.
How about just doing something beneficial and nice for the guest? You probably can't understand that as it doesn't fit in some business model you've been indoctrinated to or something...

I believe the reasons they started the practice was (1) because they didn't sell two or three day passes and jumped right to four or five day. Therefore people who didn't fit the niche and didn't want to pay the outrageous one day admission maybe just wouldn't come. (2) also they were not adverse to selling tickets that would cause people to have to return (good business).

Seriously how often does this really happen? Although coincidentally we just found and used two one day passes that had been in the bottom of a drawer (10 years old)!
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
ChoppityChops
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 94

Like I said - not a flame - so the personal attack wasn't really necessary. I'm just looking at it from a different perspective and in this case I think these tickets are a bad decision by the company. Believe me, I have plenty of Disney gripes: Just to me, this isn't anywhere near the top of the pile. And I'm a twice a year visitor with no stock ownership... hehehe

Businesses need to be profitable to continue to operate. I love the focus on customer service many parts of Disney still value and I fully recognize that there are areas where these efforts have been whittled-away or cut altogether. But overall, the focus on customer experience is still there; That's why I go back multiple times a year.

I could rattle off TONS of things Disney doesn't "need" to do that are "beneficial and nice" for the guests. I'm sure they've done plenty of research (lord knows they have the data collected on all of our every movements) and have determined that this is the right decision. Oh well! As long as when I get there I can have a great experience, I'll pay.
ChoppityChops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
jessica52877
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,491

Whatever the reason, it will mean less trips for us and less $ Disney will get from us. I have no interest in going into a park every day. We live in GA and travel to Disney 2-3x a year, this will come to a halt. Adding in the price of tickets, especially for just a couple of days, is not in my disney budget. I'll take that $ elsewhere and travel the world.
__________________

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
kenban
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
Honestly, if I were the Disney execs making this decision, I would not allow no-expiration options at all. To have the expectation that you can buy a 10-day ticket, and take 2 5 day trips is absurd. I don't mean this as a flame (just my humble opinion), but I haven't seen a single reason that adequately demonstrates the position that this is something that Disney is required/should be offering; All I've seen are people being angry that they'll have to pay more now.

It's like going to a store, and buying a 12 pack of hamburger buns, and expecting to be able to use 6 now, and then come back in a year and grab the other 6. Discounts are offered for bulk purchases in the immediacy - not to use some time later. I mean, I get that we as consumers don't want to pay more for a product we already get for less, but frankly, this should be more of a "darn - it was great while it lasted" rather than a "woe is us! Disney's screwing us!"

All that said, I do blame Disney for ever offering this option; from a business perspective - terrible idea.
People do not use these tickets to make two 5 day trips. Actually in that case it is the same price $325 for a 5 day park hopper vs $650 for a 10 day no expire park hopper.

Normally these are people who would make very short one, two and three day trips often months apart. I used to travel for work a lot and would just randomly end up in the Orlando area, I have an annual pass for Universal Orlando and over at Disney would use the 10 day no expire tickets which would be used up over 5 -7 trips in a 2-3 year period of time. I am on my 3rd ten day ticket in the last 6 or 7 years.

For me one and two day tickets just cost too much money. It is just not worth the expense. I plan to purchase another 10 day pass but once that is gone I suspect I will not spend much more time at Disney World. The time and money I spend at the parks will be spent over at Universal or somewhere else.
kenban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #27
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,839

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica52877 View Post
Whatever the reason, it will mean less trips for us and less $ Disney will get from us. I have no interest in going into a park every day. We live in GA and travel to Disney 2-3x a year, this will come to a halt. Adding in the price of tickets, especially for just a couple of days, is not in my disney budget. I'll take that $ elsewhere and travel the world.
You are the type of person who could save Disney!
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
jessica52877
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,491

I too will visit the other parks more often, we love lego, Sea World and Universal. If I am paying the same price for 1 day at Disney I wouldn't do it but every once in a great while, more the way I currently visit the other parks. AP's at the others I believe usually are paid for after 2-3 days. I would love to spend more time at other places, just usually choose Disney since I am not paying for the ticket right then and there. Honestly, the cost wasn't even that great of a discount, I believe at 4 days the cost was the same as using up 4 days of my NE.
__________________

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
mrsksmithvt
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica52877 View Post
Whatever the reason, it will mean less trips for us and less $ Disney will get from us. I have no interest in going into a park every day. We live in GA and travel to Disney 2-3x a year, this will come to a halt. Adding in the price of tickets, especially for just a couple of days, is not in my disney budget. I'll take that $ elsewhere and travel the world.
This is my thought exactly. As my family gets older we will have to explore the best bang for our buck when it comes to family vacations. If this means Universal, some other "theme park", visiting other countries, or seeing the rest of America, Disney will lose my business. Hey Disney I have been a loyal customer for years and so has my family, I hope you rethink this!
__________________
mrsksmithvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,839

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
Like I said - not a flame - so the personal attack wasn't really necessary. I'm just looking at it from a different perspective and in this case I think these tickets are a bad decision by the company. Believe me, I have plenty of Disney gripes: Just to me, this isn't anywhere near the top of the pile. And I'm a twice a year visitor with no stock ownership... hehehe

Businesses need to be profitable to continue to operate. I love the focus on customer service many parts of Disney still value and I fully recognize that there are areas where these efforts have been whittled-away or cut altogether. But overall, the focus on customer experience is still there; That's why I go back multiple times a year.

I could rattle off TONS of things Disney doesn't "need" to do that are "beneficial and nice" for the guests. I'm sure they've done plenty of research (lord knows they have the data collected on all of our every movements) and have determined that this is the right decision. Oh well! As long as when I get there I can have a great experience, I'll pay.
Hardly a personal attack, since you jumped in all high and mighty on the oh so original 'business' perspective.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.