Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #16
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulfred View Post
I know my two year old was free, duh thats why I took her then, our family may not be able to go in the future. As far as disney is concerned my daughter is staying two for at least the next two years
Nice attitude. You ever consider that people cheating them like you plan on doing is at least part of the reason the cost is so high?

Cheating and stealing from a company because you think they charge too much is just ridiculous. A trip to WDW is not a right. It is a spluge. One many families can't afford. But it is not up to each of us to decide what we wish to pay for, just as when we go to the grocery store, or to the car dealership. You don't get to steal a porsche because you don't like what they charge.

It is posts like this that make me wish they did ask for proof of age of every child.

To the poster who says Disney overcharges, well that is subjective. I think $120 for a room is not overcharging. Especially when that comes with transportation from the airport, and bus service the whole time I am staying at that resort.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #17
maxiesmom

Quote:
I wasn't just talking about the price of a room. I meant everything involved rooms, tickets, food, drinks, parking, merchandise and these greedy ***** push the price up on anything and everything they can every chance they get.
Here are some ways to make a trip cost less:

Rooms: Prices vary. Go when it is cheaper. Stay off site if you choose.
Tickets: They are expensive. You can save a few $$ by purchasing from places such as Maple Leaf Tickets or Undercover Tourist.
Food: Bring in your own. Spluge on a meal or two.
Drinks: Bring in your own. They will actually give you water for free at the counter service places.
Parking: Staying on site you don't pay for parking. Staying off site you do. $14 for parking is peanuts compared to parking for a show or any pro sport.
Merchandise: Depending on what you want, it is expensive. However you can take a trip to WDW and not buy a bunch of tops or pins.

In reality, Disney doesn't force you to buy much from them for a trip to WDW. Tickets is all. Whether anything else is worth spending your hard earned money on is totally up to the individual.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 01-15-2013 at 06:09 AM.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #18
bear_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wasn't just talking about the price of a room. I meant everything involved rooms, tickets, food, drinks, parking, merchandise and these greedy ***** push the price up on anything and everything they can every chance they get. They are making tons of money testing what the market can bear and paying their employees little better than minimum wage. It really takes alot of the fake magic away for me seeing it. I know my two year old was free, duh thats why I took her then, our family may not be able to go in the future. As far as disney is concerned my daughter is staying two for at least the next two years
We spent as much for 2 days at Cedar Point as we would have for 2 days at Disney. The food was more expensive and not nearly as good (which is saying a lot) and they wouldn't allow you to bring in your own food.

Drinks were the same cost.

Merchandise was the same. The only thing different Disney does there is that they have some (OK most) of the rides dump into gift shops.

Oh, Disney was MUCH cleaner than Cedar Point and the CMs were much nicer and more helpful than the CP employees. There was no themeing to any rides, just boring lines that snaked back and forth.

I don't see Disney pricing out of line with other theme parks.

Emily
bear_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #19
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Just thought I would chime in here. As a family of five, we have priced out vacations here in Canada, the U.S., and (pipe dream) Europe, for at least a weeks stay.

For now, a Disney vacation staying onsite is CHEAPER then any of the others. And May will be our 3rd deluxe trip. Disney can be done affordably if one takes the time to wait for discounts, and cheaper airfare. It is not more expensive then anywhere else, IMHO.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #20
E&As Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear_mom View Post
We spent as much for 2 days at Cedar Point as we would have for 2 days at Disney. The food was more expensive and not nearly as good (which is saying a lot) and they wouldn't allow you to bring in your own food.

Drinks were the same cost.

Merchandise was the same. The only thing different Disney does there is that they have some (OK most) of the rides dump into gift shops.

Oh, Disney was MUCH cleaner than Cedar Point and the CMs were much nicer and more helpful than the CP employees. There was no themeing to any rides, just boring lines that snaked back and forth.

I don't see Disney pricing out of line with other theme parks.

Emily
So right on!! Cedar Point has definitely increased their prices over the last few years... and you're right... no real theming in the rides (boring compared to the WDW queues, although we do love the thrill rides there). We went to CP for a day this past summer (we live only 2 1/2 hours away, so we tend to go 1-2 times a year) and I couldn't believe how much $$ we spent! Now, we did take a picnic lunch, but you have to leave it outside the park gates in their picnic areas (or in your car if you don't want to leave it unattended). The prices for snacks and drinks was probably more than a lot of the same type of fare @ WDW. The price for parking was either $12 or $15 a day (again, same range as WDW) and the prices for the nicer hotels in the area are definitely in the $150-$200 range a night, which also seems to compare to WDW.

Given the choice, I'd defintely take the 2 days @ WDW over CP, because the perks of staying onsite (transportation, hotel amenities, etc) are definitely worth it! I hadn't thought much about comparing some of the prices of WDW to CP, but you are definitely right.

~Kelly

Visits:
1977 - mid 1990s - Too many visits to count
1999 - Delayed Honeymoon and DH's 1st trip to The World
2008 - POR - Grand Gathering of 14 Mousekeeteers and our girls' first trip to The World
2010 - CBR
2011 - CSR
2013 - All Star Sports - Surprise trip to proudly watch my niece march @ MK
2013 - CSR
DCL:
October 2014 - Disney Wonder
E&As Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #21
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Just thought I would chime in here. As a family of five, we have priced out vacations here in Canada, the U.S., and (pipe dream) Europe, for at least a weeks stay.

For now, a Disney vacation staying onsite is CHEAPER then any of the others. And May will be our 3rd deluxe trip. Disney can be done affordably if one takes the time to wait for discounts, and cheaper airfare. It is not more expensive then anywhere else, IMHO.
I absolutely agree! We have priced out many different vacations and find that we get the most bang for our buck at Disney...and we go every year, and have stayed deluxe the past few years.

We even stayed at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods in CT for a couple of nights and it was almost $400/night....and it's certainly not at Disney!!!!
I'm paying far less than that in a CL room at Disney with a good discount, so it's all in getting the good deal.

Again, no one is forced to go to Disney, so if you don't like the prices, don't go. It's pretty simple. I think the price of a Ferrarri is alot, so I don't buy one. Same thing.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #22
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

While I do agree Disney keeps getting more expensive with each year, I also agree with others that going to Disney is still cheaper than most other vacation destinations. I have done my share of comparing different vacation spots to Disney and most seem to come out more expensive than Disney. We will continue to go and pay those prices as it's a place we love to visit, so I guess we are in the group of those that are contributing to the price increases. But, people need to remember that Disney is a business and is there to make money, not give things away. As a pp said, Disney is a splurge, not a right, just like any other vacation, sports car, etc. If someone doesn't like the prices, he/she doesn't have to go. With that said, there are ways to cut costs by looking out for discounts, go during slower times, etc.....but there are ways to cut costs and still have a great Disney vacation. We only stay deluxe and now that our two DSs are 18 & 20, our resort cost is going to be $50/night extra due to the extra adult fee. Will I like paying that? No. But I will because of where we like to stay and because it's my choice. There are other resorts that would be cheaper, but not what we want, so it's all in choices and Disney isn't making me pay those extra fees because I don't have to stay at that level resort....I just choose to. Disney just sets the prices and if people will pay them, they will keep charging them as well as increase them, just like any other business.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
allboyhouse
Mouseketeer

My first question when I read posts of people complaining about Disney price increases and being 'priced out' is how often are you wanting to do? I think if you can afford to go to Disney every year and want to go, then go!! If you can't afford it, don't complain, just save and go when you can!! We make a decent living and can't afford to go every year, but I don't feel like we are in any way priced out of Disney. We went to the beach for a week last year, and the room alone was more than a night at POR for the 5 of us, we had to buy food which was expensive, and we just layed on the beach. For not a whole lot more money we could have gone to Disney. EVERY business is increasing prices, not just Disney. I'm sure their food prices have increased just like ours buying at the grocery store has increased. If you don't like the prices, don't go and leave more rooms available for us that are willing to pay and not complain!
allboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #24
Jemepech
Earning My Ears

The prices are set based on attendance, I mean its busy and prices are high lines are long and pools are crowded. Now lower the prices and just imagine the amount of people. It's not just done for the money aspect it's also done to control crowds. I for one don't mine paying a little more to stay there for the entire experience, pool, food, buses, parks. Its all an experience. We budget our year to afford at least 2 trips a year. We sacrifice other things to pay those prices. It's expensive for a reason think where else can you have a vacation like this.
Jemepech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #25
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I think what makes it so hard is knowing that just five years ago or ten years ago, you paid so much less for the same things. People who are new to WDW trip planning don't have those memories of less expensive vacations to fall back on.

The prices for rooms have gone up much higher than I would have thought in a very short time. Back in 2001, I was able to stay in a room at AKL for $140 a night. That's doubled. We stayed at Poly at less than $200 a night in 2001 as well. That has also pretty much doubled. It used to be that Disney usually added about $10-15 a night each year. That's no longer the case. And now with the weekend and holiday pricing, and with the changing season structure, it's even more complicated.

We've stayed at all levels of resorts over the years. I just can't seem to justify the Deluxe prices anymore and that's where we usually stayed when the whole family unit went. Last family trip we stayed at CSR. I've also done what I thought was unthinkable and have stayed offsite twice in the past two years.
HM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #26
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
I think what makes it so hard is knowing that just five years ago or ten years ago, you paid so much less for the same things. People who are new to WDW trip planning don't have those memories of less expensive vacations to fall back on.

The prices for rooms have gone up much higher than I would have thought in a very short time. Back in 2001, I was able to stay in a room at AKL for $140 a night. That's doubled. We stayed at Poly at less than $200 a night in 2001 as well. That has also pretty much doubled. It used to be that Disney usually added about $10-15 a night each year. That's no longer the case. And now with the weekend and holiday pricing, and with the changing season structure, it's even more complicated.

We've stayed at all levels of resorts over the years. I just can't seem to justify the Deluxe prices anymore and that's where we usually stayed when the whole family unit went. Last family trip we stayed at CSR. I've also done what I thought was unthinkable and have stayed offsite twice in the past two years.
But, isn't that true of everything? Costs go up...for everything...always have and always will.

I have been planning and paying for my own Disney vacations for 13 years now, and yes, our earlier trips were alot cheaper...and we were making ALOT less money too! I feel like our salary increases over the years have matched or even outpaced the rise of Disney prices, but maybe that's just me.

I remember paying alot less for Disney vacations, but rising prices are always a sign of the times.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #27
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post

I get what you are saying. I do! However, I cannot think of anything that has gone up in price at a rate slower than my paycheck increase. Everything costs more. I can't single out Disney and blame them for it. At least a trip to WDW is not necessary to life, as are my groceries or the gas for my car.

We all have choices on how we spend our disposable income. I drive an older car so I can continue my yearly trips to WDW. I don't buy a ton of new clothes, or have expensive jewelry. The trips are how I choose to spend my money. But I don't think Disney owes it to me to be able to afford those trips. That is up to me.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #28
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Yep, everything has gone up and gas and groceries are big ones too. And they probably hurt the bottom line the most.
What I was trying to say was that the price increases are bigger in the last five years than they were in the prior five years. It used to be that you could pretty much count on a room costing about $10-15 more a night the next year. That's not the case anymore.
HM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #29
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1

But, isn't that true of everything? Costs go up...for everything...always have and always will.

I have been planning and paying for my own Disney vacations for 13 years now, and yes, our earlier trips were alot cheaper...and we were making ALOT less money too! I feel like our salary increases over the years have matched or even outpaced the rise of Disney prices, but maybe that's just me.

I remember paying alot less for Disney vacations, but rising prices are always a sign of the times.
Disney's price increases have generally outpaced all other price increases. Most prices have not increased by almost 50% in ten years (except gas.) A lot of people have not seen a real increase to their wages in years (especially when insurance costs are taken into consideration.) You ( the general you) can argue that you still consider WDW a good value, but they are definitely pushing the envelope to see what the market will bear. I am sure that they are hoping that My Magic+ will give people enough incentive to stay on site.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club Upcoming Trips: Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Tarheel girl 1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #30
luvdisney77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
As far as disney is concerned my daughter is staying two for at least the next two years
uh oh...(ducking for cover)
Ft. Wilderness Cabins 2/26 - 3/5/11
POP CENTURY during MVMCP!! 11/25-12/3/11:santa
So far, no trip on the horizon. Need $ and FD!
luvdisney77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: