Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #436
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire

We are near Camp Lejeune! Is your bother in law a Marine? It's a small world! Compared to CA everything is humid! I don't like the humidity one bit, but I also dislike cold so I can't win! i like big cities and concrete so this area (Camp Lejeune) is too small for me. We're going to Pensacola which is a wee bit bigger so I'm excited about that. I'd like to be in Jacksonville FL or Orlando area eventually.
Yes he is! What a small world is right! San Diego apparently is the only place I the US with "perfect"weather From what I hear. While we would like to be closer to my SIL I want to be closer to a city as well. Plus we can't depend on them being there forever. Also the area wouldn't give my DH potential for easy growth within the company. Good luck in FL and I have to give FL this- they know how to deal with the weather - everything and everywhere has central air
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #437
rafikifan2911
Mouseketeer

woohoo! 2014 trip

WooHoo!! I just book for Jan 25- feb 2. We are staying at the Art of Animation Little Mermaid! We are celebrating our anniversary!!!

rafikifan2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #438
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafikifan2911 View Post
WooHoo!! I just book for Jan 25- feb 2. We are staying at the Art of Animation Little Mermaid! We are celebrating our anniversary!!!
to our group! How many years will you be celebrating?

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #439
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
The driving to WDW would be a perk - because next trip we will spend 1200-1500 in airfare, I would like to take that money and do other things, like fly to California or save it, or just do something great..... I like the idea of 4 seasons (and miss spring so much), and honestly it gets flippin cold up here... Too many sub zero days and nights... I also miss spring a lot...

My best piece of advice (just because this was our biggest mistake) is moving to an area with a good school system - it means a lot when you go to re sell... Even if you don't have or plan on having kids. I don't know anything about Ohio, but NC has so many things going for it right now. Where were you thinking? We love the idea of being 2 hrs from a beach and 3 hours from mountain the Smoky Mtns... I would never have issues with answering questions either! I have asked so many questions of so many people too I am going into this one well informed.

FL, it is hot, and working outside is hard, I lived with my family down there when we moved. My brother was a greenskeeper at a golf course, they did A LOT of work before the sun came up that summer. More than he was ever used to. I noticed this at WDW on previous trips as well... However, having family there is a huge perk - I miss being around family.... Which is another perk of NC for us (plus it would enable us to potentially have extra "house" for MIL to live with us)

I agree with things losing that "specialness" the White Mountains while we love them, we have grown accumstomed to the views and what they offer... I miss that feeling, I would rather live near Raleigh and be able to have many vacation destinations that can offer that to me
We were looking at the Piedmont Region (ie: central NC) in the Triad area. We've looked into so many cities it makes my head spin (Cary was one of them, IIRC). You sound so much like us - we are excited about the prospect of being closer to FL without being there, closer to the ocean and the mountains, both of which we love.

Yes, the humidity and heat is our one big worry. I do not think my husband could adapt to working 8+ hours in that. He's been wanting to change professions, but at his age, it would be difficult.

We're looking to move within the next 5 years. We still have some work to do on our house yet, which of course takes money and time. We're hoping he could get transferred with his current employer, but with the way things are these days, one never knows.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #440
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Just thought I'd pop in ~ not Disney related...but Orlando related!

We are planning our summer beach trip to the Gulf Coast ~ it is so expensive to rent a condo. It will probably be at least $1000 for the week, probably closer to $1200. Well, since we are more than likely staying off site for our 2014 WDW trip, I've been pricing a lot of condos in the Orlando area......and I think I've convinced DH to go to Orlando for a week instead! It's only about 3 hours further (I know...only, lol, with kids it won't be so easy!). And we won't do Disney, but I think for the same price we could get a condo for a week and a day at Seaworld (which would mean we more than likely wouldn't go during our 2014 trip ~ so even if it's more, it all comes out in the wash b/c eventually we would be doing SW, so pay now to go or later). And then we will also do a day at Aquatica (we woudl do a water park day at whatever beach we go to). I know it will be hard to be so close to WDW and not go ~ but maybe it will help give me my disney fix until we go back. We would do a couple days at the beach ~ the main drawback is that on the coast we would be beach front, but the ages of our kids ~ we wouldn't be hanging out at the beach all day everyday. We just need to be sure to get a condo with a fun pool! OH, and if we go, I'm on the fence about telling the girls (well, my oldest) how close we are to Disney. A part of me thinks it would be fun to do a character meal at CMs, but I think that would probably make it harder, especially on the kids!
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #441
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan

We were looking at the Piedmont Region (ie: central NC) in the Triad area. We've looked into so many cities it makes my head spin (Cary was one of them, IIRC). You sound so much like us - we are excited about the prospect of being closer to FL without being there, closer to the ocean and the mountains, both of which we love.

Yes, the humidity and heat is our one big worry. I do not think my husband could adapt to working 8+ hours in that. He's been wanting to change professions, but at his age, it would be difficult.

We're looking to move within the next 5 years. We still have some work to do on our house yet, which of course takes money and time. We're hoping he could get transferred with his current employer, but with the way things are these days, one never knows.
Cary is very nice from what I can tell. My DH recently got in touch with an old friend who is also helping us with locations - he has suggested a few areas south of Raleigh. We are looking at the entire Raleigh metro area - we want to cut down on commuting (DH mostly) and our employer has about 12-14 locations. I understand on the whole money house thing! That's what we've been doing! In the past year we finished 1/2 the basement, renovated our bathroom and kitchen. We are done (minus a coat of paint on the outside. We hope to get down there this year. Our realtor seems hopeful too. Its nerve wracking though! I feel like I need all the planets in alignment to have this all work out! Sell house, job transfers....
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #442
middlesista
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly324 View Post
We bought from undercover tourist in 2011 for our trip that year. We went through mousesavers.com, which gave us a small discount. They were great!

Seems these days I can't get enough of the dis! I am on here way too much making plans for our trip. Loving the trip reports, especially. Anyone here have a link to their trip report?? I need more reading material!
YES!! Also becoming addicted to reading trip reports and food reviews. Goodness - we are not heading to WDW until January 2014 and my daughter and I are already "discussing" our meal strategy. She is all about the character meals and although my husband and I enjoy watching the grandchildren sometimes a meal devoid of characters seem like a good idea. They did the Cinderella Castle breakfast last time and we did not go but were thinking about attending next year since our granddaughter had such a blast. However my husband decided that he does not want to use 2 meals tickets to "eat scrambled eggs"

Me DH DD DSIL DGD(5yr) DGD(2yr)

1975 OS 1978 DL 1986, 1988, 1990, 1995 Poly 2000 CBR2002, 2003 OS 2012, 2014 POFQ
middlesista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #443
SleepingBeauty69
Earning My Ears

Crowd ??

Hi! I am starting to possibly / hopefully plan a March 2014 trip since we just received our 2013/2014 school schedule!! I was thrilled to learn that we'll have our spring break one month BEFORE Easter, March 17-21. When I looked at an unofficial crowd calendar though, these dates were NOT recommended and had VERY high crowds. I can't figure out why, unless everyone else has an early spring break too due to a late Easter?
SleepingBeauty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #444
laurenn1490
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty69
Hi! I am starting to possibly / hopefully plan a March 2014 trip since we just received our 2013/2014 school schedule!! I was thrilled to learn that we'll have our spring break one month BEFORE Easter, March 17-21. When I looked at an unofficial crowd calendar though, these dates were NOT recommended and had VERY high crowds. I can't figure out why, unless everyone else has an early spring break too due to a late Easter?
I think the months of March and April are just common spring break times, so any week you go in that time period, there is going to be at least one spring break. That's also around the time colleges have their spring breaks.

I went last year with my DBF March 19-23, and although there were large crowds, it was manageable since we knew how to utilize fastpasses and rope drops, and had hoppers. it was a laid back vacation so if something had huge lines, we skipped it or went to a different park. The new Fastpass+ system will likely be all rolled out by 2014, and hopefully by then we'll all know more about it and how to best utilize the system for busy weeks!

laurenn1490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #445
SleepingBeauty69
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenn1490 View Post
I think the months of March and April are just common spring break times, so any week you go in that time period, there is going to be at least one spring break. That's also around the time colleges have their spring breaks.

I went last year with my DBF March 19-23, and although there were large crowds, it was manageable since we knew how to utilize fastpasses and rope drops, and had hoppers. it was a laid back vacation so if something had huge lines, we skipped it or went to a different park. The new Fastpass+ system will likely be all rolled out by 2014, and hopefully by then we'll all know more about it and how to best utilize the system for busy weeks!
Thanks!!

SleepingBeauty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #446
Valgoof
DIS Veteran

All this talk of NC makes me want to move south. I tell DH every time it snows or is really cold that we should move to NC. All of our family is here though, so I doubt we ever move. So glad we have a new thread Sarah. Cant wait to hear how this year goes for you.

Bearcatsfan--put me down for Nov 28-Dec 6 at POFQ. My Dec 2012 friends know that the resort MIGHT change a few times. I think I booked 4 or 5 different resorts for that trip and seriously considered a few more. And those dates make me feel twitchy since it is unlikely there would be any discounts with Thanksgiving weekend and then Pop Warner week. But as of right now, that is the plan.

3 trips as a kid/teen-Offsite Dec 2011-Offsite Dec 2012-Pop Century Feb 2014-OKW
Nov 2014-Coronado Springs and AKV Kidani

Valgoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #447
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgoof View Post
All this talk of NC makes me want to move south. I tell DH every time it snows or is really cold that we should move to NC. All of our family is here though, so I doubt we ever move. So glad we have a new thread Sarah. Cant wait to hear how this year goes for you.

Bearcatsfan--put me down for Nov 28-Dec 6 at POFQ. My Dec 2012 friends know that the resort MIGHT change a few times. I think I booked 4 or 5 different resorts for that trip and seriously considered a few more. And those dates make me feel twitchy since it is unlikely there would be any discounts with Thanksgiving weekend and then Pop Warner week. But as of right now, that is the plan.
I never did ask you - where in the Buckeye State are you?

All our family is either here in Ohio or in Florida - we have nobody in NC at all! The weather, the closeness of the things we enjoy, and so many other things that are calling us there. Our families honestly think we're kind of crazy to move somewhere where we have no-one, but I think sometimes you just know when it's the right decision. I keep reminding them that at this point, it's still in the research stage, so quit getting so worked up!

I will put your dates and info down. I can change it with the click of a button, so no worries!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #448
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess View Post
Just thought I'd pop in ~ not Disney related...but Orlando related!

We are planning our summer beach trip to the Gulf Coast ~ it is so expensive to rent a condo. It will probably be at least $1000 for the week, probably closer to $1200. Well, since we are more than likely staying off site for our 2014 WDW trip, I've been pricing a lot of condos in the Orlando area......and I think I've convinced DH to go to Orlando for a week instead! It's only about 3 hours further (I know...only, lol, with kids it won't be so easy!). And we won't do Disney, but I think for the same price we could get a condo for a week and a day at Seaworld (which would mean we more than likely wouldn't go during our 2014 trip ~ so even if it's more, it all comes out in the wash b/c eventually we would be doing SW, so pay now to go or later). And then we will also do a day at Aquatica (we woudl do a water park day at whatever beach we go to). I know it will be hard to be so close to WDW and not go ~ but maybe it will help give me my disney fix until we go back. We would do a couple days at the beach ~ the main drawback is that on the coast we would be beach front, but the ages of our kids ~ we wouldn't be hanging out at the beach all day everyday. We just need to be sure to get a condo with a fun pool! OH, and if we go, I'm on the fence about telling the girls (well, my oldest) how close we are to Disney. A part of me thinks it would be fun to do a character meal at CMs, but I think that would probably make it harder, especially on the kids!
This sounds great! I'm not sure I would tell the kids how close you are to WDW without actually going. Plus I think it would be harder for YOU also, not just the kids!

Lots of great links to activities in the Orlando area in Post#2. Keep us updated on your plans.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #449
Valgoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
I never did ask you - where in the Buckeye State are you?

All our family is either here in Ohio or in Florida - we have nobody in NC at all! The weather, the closeness of the things we enjoy, and so many other things that are calling us there. Our families honestly think we're kind of crazy to move somewhere where we have no-one, but I think sometimes you just know when it's the right decision. I keep reminding them that at this point, it's still in the research stage, so quit getting so worked up!

I will put your dates and info down. I can change it with the click of a button, so no worries!
I am in Columbus. I went to Ohio State. My brother graduates from there in May. He was in the marching band, so that has been a lot of fun.

My DH is the middle one of 3 boys. He is the one that his parents always call when they need something, even though the other 2 are local too. So he feels like he "can't" leave while they are alive and might need him. Yes, he has issues. Good luck with your move! I will live vicariously through you and Sarah.

I actually joined the resort changers thread for a month last year. Then I lost my job in November, so we went with Pop. Now this year I have a year and nine months to make changes??

3 trips as a kid/teen-Offsite Dec 2011-Offsite Dec 2012-Pop Century Feb 2014-OKW
Nov 2014-Coronado Springs and AKV Kidani

Valgoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #450
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty69 View Post
I agree with Laurenn - both those months are busy Spring Break times because different schools take their breaks at different times. If you go in knowing it will be busy, and have a good touring plan, you should be able to get done all you want to do. Being prepared is key!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: