Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #361
hsmamainva
DIS Veteran
 
hsmamainva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmichelle View Post
My friend and I are staying at a value resort (probably AofA). I want us to experience the monorail, though, so I devised a plan...

On one of our two MK days, we will hit RD, have a later lunch around one, then mosey on out the park. Then, we'll go to the monorail and ride it! It'll be our own afternoon break - air conditioning and pretty spectacular views. We'll get off at the Contemporary and the Polynesian (maybe the Grand Floridian) and explore the resort. Then, at the Polynesian, we'll take the water taxi back to Magic Kingdom to finish off the day with more park fun.
You'll ride the monorail, even if you're staying in a value or off-site.

That's one of the surprises I experienced during our first trip! You park your car (or get dropped off by the resort bus) at the TTC. From there, you take a monorail to either Epcot or Magic Kingdom, depending on your park of the day.

I figured you got to the parking lot and there was the park entrance. Nope. Not at all!
__________________
Kelly - Mom of 4 (2 in college & 2 still at home)

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

February 2011 (OL) - March 2012 (WH) - May 2013 (WH) - May 2014 (AOA) - August 2014 (AOA) - May 2015 (POP) - August 2015 (POFQ)

hsmamainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #362
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun
 
BearcatsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Queen City
Posts: 8,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycat321 View Post
It has been almost 3 years since our last trip and we are going in May this year...and as of Sunday, we're planning for July 2014 as well!!! Thank goodness DH is as addicted as I am!!!

Hopefully our friends are going with us this time - another couple who has never been to WDW, but love DLR! I think we have finally convinced them!! We have been going to DLR together for a few years (they are AP holders as well), so this is so exciting for us!

I am a teacher and so is one of our friends, so we are pretty limited to when we can go, which is why we're looking at July. I'll be honest though, the heat and crowds are kind of scaring me!!

We don't know the exact dates yet, but it will probably be somewhere around the third week of July.

I have questions, many many questions... (Sorry!):

1) How bad will the heat really be? (We went the third week of June in 2010 and the highs were between 95 and 99 every single day. So will this probably be about the same?)

2) How bad will the crowds be? Much worse than mid June? (Keeping in mind that crowds don't really scare us so much being DLR regulars - DLR tends to feel much more crowded than WDW because of its size. Last time when we went in June we heard people complaining about the crowds and were genuinely confused - it seemed fine to us!)

3) What week should we go in July? We are actually pretty open. I'm assuming 4th of July week is a bad plan.

4) Since we have two couples going, what would you recommend for resort accommodations? We have only stayed in POR. Should we just get next door rooms somewhere? I looked at AoA suites but there's only one real bed! Deluxe is not an option- can't afford that!

5) I've been considering the Swan or Dolphin since I would love the proximity to Epcot and both couples have a teacher so we could get the discount...but I'm thinking they should probably stay in a true Disney resort their first time?

6) Any other July tips?

Words cannot express how excited I am to be planning a 2014 trip when we haven't gone on our 2013 trip yet!!!! After 3 years of waiting for this trip, it's like a dream come true!!!

Ack, this got way too long. Many thanks to whoever reads this and can help me out!
to our group! Glad you decided to join us!

I can't help you in any way with July info - I've never been that time of year. As far as accommodations go, I say go with whatever appeals to you the most. Just remember, you can request connecting/adjoining rooms, but they are not guaranteed. If you want to make that request, make it your ONLY request to give you a better chance of getting it.

I'll put you on the July list - post when you get your dates and resort figured out and I'll update then.
__________________

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #363
mamabear0222
Countdown to 2014 trip
 
mamabear0222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamainva

You'll ride the monorail, even if you're staying in a value or off-site.

That's one of the surprises I experienced during our first trip! You park your car (or get dropped off by the resort bus) at the TTC. From there, you take a monorail to either Epcot or Magic Kingdom, depending on your park of the day.

I figured you got to the parking lot and there was the park entrance. Nope. Not at all!
How do u get to HS?? Monorail too?

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards
__________________
mamabear0222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #364
hsmamainva
DIS Veteran
 
hsmamainva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0222 View Post
How do u get to HS?? Monorail too?

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards
No...if you have a car, you drive to HS. Same with AK. Same with Downtown Disney. Or you take a resort bus if you're staying on-site. For those parks, you do walk from the parking lot to the park entrance.

The monorail only goes to Magic Kingdom & Epcot.
__________________
Kelly - Mom of 4 (2 in college & 2 still at home)

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

February 2011 (OL) - March 2012 (WH) - May 2013 (WH) - May 2014 (AOA) - August 2014 (AOA) - May 2015 (POP) - August 2015 (POFQ)

hsmamainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #365
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun
 
BearcatsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Queen City
Posts: 8,097

Has anyone stayed at WBC? I know there's a huge thread over on the Orlando Board, but I didn't want to wade through all that information, KWIM?

I'm considering going through VU instead of directly through the hotel site, but I'm a little afraid - we've never done anything like that before.

I'm so torn - I'm heavily considering WBC for 2014, but only at the price I can get by going through VU, not at the price from booking direct. I'm still considering SVR and SVV as well. I'm absolutely torn.

Any info/advice appreciated!
__________________

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #366
hsmamainva
DIS Veteran
 
hsmamainva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Has anyone stayed at WBC? I know there's a huge thread over on the Orlando Board, but I didn't want to wade through all that information, KWIM?

I'm considering going through VU instead of directly through the hotel site, but I'm a little afraid - we've never done anything like that before.

I'm so torn - I'm heavily considering WBC for 2014, but only at the price I can get by going through VU, not at the price from booking direct. I'm still considering SVR and SVV as well. I'm absolutely torn.

Any info/advice appreciated!
Never stayed there. I would see if there's a difference between the WBC and the Bonnet Creek timeshare section. I know the regular BC is a timeshare and that means that you'll be hit up for a timeshare group session as soon as you register.

We stayed at Orange Lake for our first Disney visit (my BIL has a timeshare) and, yep, they hit us up as soon as we went for our parking pass and then it was high pressure all the way. We turned them down repeatedly...only to have them CALL US the next morning at 7:30am!

Boy were we mad! So we looked into BC, because it has a lazy river, which Windsor Hills doesn't have, but the moment we heard "timeshare", we ran in the other direction.

Now, WBC, because it's owned by a hotel chain may be different -- but those rooms aren't the "cheap ones". I believe they run around $275 a night for a suite. The ones that rent for $700 a week are the timeshare ones.
__________________
Kelly - Mom of 4 (2 in college & 2 still at home)

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

February 2011 (OL) - March 2012 (WH) - May 2013 (WH) - May 2014 (AOA) - August 2014 (AOA) - May 2015 (POP) - August 2015 (POFQ)

hsmamainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #367
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer
 
angelmichelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Carolinas
Posts: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamainva View Post
You'll ride the monorail, even if you're staying in a value or off-site.

That's one of the surprises I experienced during our first trip! You park your car (or get dropped off by the resort bus) at the TTC. From there, you take a monorail to either Epcot or Magic Kingdom, depending on your park of the day.

I figured you got to the parking lot and there was the park entrance. Nope. Not at all!
...Really? I'm sort of disappointed now, haha. I had this grand plan. We can still go look at resorts, though.
__________________

angelmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #368
lovingeire
DIS Veteran
 
lovingeire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmichelle

...Really? I'm sort of disappointed now, haha. I had this grand plan. We can still go look at resorts, though.
Are you staying on site or off? Memory leads me to believe you said AoA. In which case your plan will help you ride the monorail because from AoA you take buses to each park, not to TTC so you only ride the monorail if you made an effort unless you're driving to the parks each day. We stayed at AoA in Dec and this was the case for us. HTH.
__________________
Me , DH , DS (14) , DS (3) DS (6 months)



DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - CR
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #369
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer
 
angelmichelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Carolinas
Posts: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire View Post
Are you staying on site or off? Memory leads me to believe you said AoA. In which case your plan will help you ride the monorail because from AoA you take buses to each park, not to TTC so you only ride the monorail if you made an effort unless you're driving to the parks each day. HTH.
That's what I thought...
I thought only monorail resorts use the monorail to get to MK/Epcot.
We'll be staying at AoA, and I thought buses took you straight to the park.
__________________

angelmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #370
lovingeire
DIS Veteran
 
lovingeire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmichelle

That's what I thought...
I thought only monorail resorts use the monorail to get to MK/Epcot.
We'll be staying at AoA, and I thought buses took you straight to the park.
They do! We took the bus to Magic Kingdom one morning, walked to Contemporary for breakfast at chef Mickeys then road the monorail back to MK for our day in the parks. The only reason we ever ended up at TTC was because the monorail broke down and we had to go there to get a bus to Epcot (we were at MK). But I can confirm that you take a bus to MK and EP, as well as the rest of the parks from AoA so you could catch the monorail from either MK or EP.
__________________
Me , DH , DS (14) , DS (3) DS (6 months)



DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - CR
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #371
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer
 
angelmichelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Carolinas
Posts: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire View Post
They do! We took the bus to Magic Kingdom one morning, walked to Contemporary for breakfast at chef Mickeys then road the monorail back to MK for our day in the parks. The only reason we ever ended up at TTC was because the monorail broke down and we had to go there to get a bus to Epcot (we were at MK). But I can confirm that you take a bus to MK and EP, as well as the rest of the parks from AoA so you could catch the monorail from either MK or EP.
Yay my magical midday break is a go! Thanks!

Does anyone have a particular favorite deluxe resort? We'll want to explore one or two of them...
__________________

angelmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #372
mamabear0222
Countdown to 2014 trip
 
mamabear0222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 906

So you'll all be happy to know I'm 99% sure we are sticking with our original dates. Spoke to the hubby and we'll make the best of it. :-) we won't be in the park all 14 days anyways and I can't imagine every place we go outside if orlando will be unbareable. (I hope) we are likely getting a 5 or 7 day pass. The first week we will do a few parks spread out and week 2 we may go back on the lower projected days just for 2 days. We will avoid the weekend. I will save one last day for MK for the day before we fly home. That's the plan anyways. Feb 22-Mar 8 2014 here we come!!

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards
__________________
mamabear0222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #373
disneycat321
Mouseketeer
 
disneycat321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
to our group! Glad you decided to join us!

I can't help you in any way with July info - I've never been that time of year. As far as accommodations go, I say go with whatever appeals to you the most. Just remember, you can request connecting/adjoining rooms, but they are not guaranteed. If you want to make that request, make it your ONLY request to give you a better chance of getting it.

I'll put you on the July list - post when you get your dates and resort figured out and I'll update then.
Thanks!! And I will be sure to do that!
__________________
DH Me and the cats
May 2013 POR
June 2010 Honeymoon POR
Disneyland Annual Passholders
disneycat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #374
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun
 
BearcatsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Queen City
Posts: 8,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamainva View Post
Never stayed there. I would see if there's a difference between the WBC and the Bonnet Creek timeshare section. I know the regular BC is a timeshare and that means that you'll be hit up for a timeshare group session as soon as you register.

We stayed at Orange Lake for our first Disney visit (my BIL has a timeshare) and, yep, they hit us up as soon as we went for our parking pass and then it was high pressure all the way. We turned them down repeatedly...only to have them CALL US the next morning at 7:30am!

Boy were we mad! So we looked into BC, because it has a lazy river, which Windsor Hills doesn't have, but the moment we heard "timeshare", we ran in the other direction.

Now, WBC, because it's owned by a hotel chain may be different -- but those rooms aren't the "cheap ones". I believe they run around $275 a night for a suite. The ones that rent for $700 a week are the timeshare ones.
Thank you for your honest opinion and advice - I appreciate it! I know that at SVR they'll hit us up for a timeshare presentation, also (our friends got hounded there). I'm wondering if that's standard for the majority of these places.
__________________

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #375
mamabear0222
Countdown to 2014 trip
 
mamabear0222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 906

Can I ask...I thought I read one of this group has used 5mins2disney at WH??

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards
__________________
mamabear0222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: