Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

MyMagic+ Payoff - I Don't Get It

Listening to the segment about MyMagic+, more and more I find myself asking how on Earth this wristband system could have the payoff Disney is looking for. If it cost a billion dollars to make, that's the equivalent of AK or a cruise ship, something Pete pointed out on the show. I just don't get it though. How could this lead to profits that would equate that of a theme park or cruise? I know that it makes purchases easier, but does Disney really think that will lead to the large amount needed to make up for the money spent on this program? More time in the parks I can see too, but again how will that cover the costs? A billion dollars is a lot of money and this is just not adding up for me. What do you think? My mind is blown here.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

It seems to me there has to be a piece to it that we just don't know about yet.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
WorldWacky
DIS Veteran

If it is exclusive for resort guests and Disney eventually fazes out the old Fastpass system in place for this, maybe Disney feels like people will be willing to stay on property to take advantage of Fastpass at all. More heads in beds=more money. I hope we get to try it out for our upcoming trip. I'm one of those uber-planners that will love this!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Kimberle
WL Vet

It encourages people to stay on site. There are rummers that the number of advanced fass passes will be tied to your resort. Deluxe resorts have more, with off site having the least amout. There are also rummers that on-site guests will be able to book their fast passes first. (Sort of like with dining now, onsite can book 180+10).

Disney can better control their staffing. They will have a better handle on exactly where people will be at what times. They can "smooth out" the day with the number of fast passes they advance book. Busy times of the day will have less passes available, slower times will have more.

The ability to pre-order food will allow them to better manage their food prep staff and food itself. They will have a better handle on what food goes where, how much to prepare and when to prepare the food. This will allow for less waste. They also will not need as many cashiers. The more automation, the less need for people.

By allowing only 1 park per day to be pre-scheduled, most vacationers are going to stay for at least 4 full days, 1 per park. A lot of people currently spend long weekend (3 days) at the parks. If WDW can extend this by 1 day, this is a ton more revenue.

Many guests will have more time "open" in their day. This will allow for more "paying" activities such as mini golf, Circ, tours, spas, etc.

The more control Disney has over you and your time, the more control they have over your money. As a guest, it will be even more important to maintain control over your vacation. Those of us who are "seasoned" will learn how to manage the new system. Those new guests are going to be very overwhelmed.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

Totally agree.

Also, up-selling you to a higher lever resort (so you will get more passes.)

I am still not convinced that at some time in the future ( 5 years or more) they won't decide to charge in some way, such as for extra passes, or for off site guests.

Personally I would rather be able to pull two fastpasses in a day for my favorite ride, than to choose one ride from each of the three lists. ( Which is the way it worked in December.)

The good news is you don't have to be up at rope drop to get a fastpass, and sleeping in on vacation is wonderful.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
Kimberle
WL Vet

I think you will still need to be there at rope drop. You can't schedule everything and/or you will want to ride some rides more than once.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Wait until they charge you $19.99 for 30 minutes of phone-charge time.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
It encourages people to stay on site. There are rummers that the number of advanced fass passes will be tied to your resort. Deluxe resorts have more, with off site having the least amout. There are also rummers that on-site guests will be able to book their fast passes first. (Sort of like with dining now, onsite can book 180+10).

Disney can better control their staffing. They will have a better handle on exactly where people will be at what times. They can "smooth out" the day with the number of fast passes they advance book. Busy times of the day will have less passes available, slower times will have more.

The ability to pre-order food will allow them to better manage their food prep staff and food itself. They will have a better handle on what food goes where, how much to prepare and when to prepare the food. This will allow for less waste. They also will not need as many cashiers. The more automation, the less need for people.

By allowing only 1 park per day to be pre-scheduled, most vacationers are going to stay for at least 4 full days, 1 per park. A lot of people currently spend long weekend (3 days) at the parks. If WDW can extend this by 1 day, this is a ton more revenue.

Many guests will have more time "open" in their day. This will allow for more "paying" activities such as mini golf, Circ, tours, spas, etc.

The more control Disney has over you and your time, the more control they have over your money. As a guest, it will be even more important to maintain control over your vacation. Those of us who are "seasoned" will learn how to manage the new system. Those new guests are going to be very overwhelmed.
That's all fine and dandy but not everyone wants to schedule their day around what Disney wants. How is it fair to those parents who just want to give their kids a little magic but they have to save up for a long time and can only afford a few days or a value resort?

9/7/14-9/14/14 "Oh God there's the Yeti" PTR

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop! -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
PainInIL
Earning My Ears

I guess I don't understand why everyone thinks this system has to be "fair". This allows Disney to to extract as much money out of each guest as they are able. Say goodbye to the days when everyone in the park - with the exception of those on private tours - were basically treated equally. The future is where your experience will be better based on the amount of money you are willing to spend on your Disney resort. The thinking is a tiered system will push people who would normally stay at a Value into a Moderate and Moderates into the Deluxes. It will also let them phase out Free Dining and replace it with a promotion where you get more Fast Pass reservations per day.

It gives Disney tools to increase revenue without really having to give anything away.
PainInIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
twob4him
DIS Veteran

I with T....they're doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

No, really, there is a puzzle piece missing. Could it be tied to staying on property??? Here is an idea....I think return guests should simply get more access....wouldn't that be great? A kind of loyalty program. Include DVC members and APH too. Oh you spend all of your available income on Disney...here is a fastpass for you.

I hope they don't screw it up. Oh and if you're reading this Disney.....fix your website! Everyday I see people complaining about access everyday!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

They can’t possibly tie it to staying on property and piss off Annual Passholders/Florida Passholders.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainInIL View Post
I guess I don't understand why everyone thinks this system has to be "fair". This allows Disney to to extract as much money out of each guest as they are able. Say goodbye to the days when everyone in the park - with the exception of those on private tours - were basically treated equally. The future is where your experience will be better based on the amount of money you are willing to spend on your Disney resort. The thinking is a tiered system will push people who would normally stay at a Value into a Moderate and Moderates into the Deluxes. It will also let them phase out Free Dining and replace it with a promotion where you get more Fast Pass reservations per day.

It gives Disney tools to increase revenue without really having to give anything away.
Running your company in that way isn't really appealing to me and I'm sure many people feel the same way; and if this sort of thing is actually forced on me then I won't be going back to Disney. If it's not forced on me then no harm done really but I just don't see the appeal. Yeah yeah yeah life isn't fair either but guess what? I don't pay for living, I pay for a vacation and I don't want to be kicked a little because I don't make as much money as others do.

9/7/14-9/14/14 "Oh God there's the Yeti" PTR

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop! -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
PainInIL
Earning My Ears

I really think they view Annual Passholders as "Nice to Have" income, but view increasing on-site stays as mandatory income. Just look to California at the string of increases on Annual Passes. Disney is in the business to make money, not keep the locals happy.

When people talk about DVC, remember DVC owners have already paid their money to Disney. Their annual dues go to maintenance and don't count as income. What incentive is there for Disney to make them a high priority? I am not saying Disney will ignore them, but I don't think they will go out of their way to appease them. The bottom line is Disney makes the most money on the guest that comes down every 1 or 2 years, stays for 7-10 days in a Deluxe Resort and buys the Dining Plan. Disney is trying to get more people to do this and the big incentive will be "you don't even have to wait in line, just give us your credit card and leave the rest to us".

This isn't Walt's company where he thought once you walked through the gate everyone was equal. This is what Wall Street demands - maximize revenue by extracting as much as each guest is willing to pay. Your future experience will be absolutely amazing - as long as you have the money to pay.
PainInIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Quote:

When people talk about DVC, remember DVC owners have already paid their money to Disney. Their annual dues go to maintenance and don't count as income. What incentive is there for Disney to make them a high priority? I am not saying Disney will ignore them, but I don't think they will go out of their way to appease them. The bottom line is Disney makes the most money on the guest that comes down every 1 or 2 years, stays for 7-10 days in a Deluxe Resort and buys the Dining Plan. Disney is trying to get more people to do this and the big incentive will be "you don't even have to wait in line, just give us your credit card and leave the rest to us".
I do not agree with this logic completely. DVC is one of their most profitable divisions and they are constantly building new DVC resorts to sell. I cannot see them now alienating all those potential new buyers of DVC, leaving DVC properties unsold for years.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
quikah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This isn't Walt's company where he thought once you walked through the gate everyone was equal.
This was never true. Club33 is the most obvious example of that.

As for the MyMagic+, I can see them piling on addons, the magicband potentially opens up an entirely new revenue stream for them.
quikah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: