Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
momtoprincesses
Mouseketeer

Second guessing my plan--please help!

We are taking our family to DW in early December to celebrate our oldest daughter's fifth birthday on Dec. 7. My youngest daughter will be almost three at the time of the trip. We are staying at CR.

My original plan was to fly in the day before her birthday and get settled in the hotel. Our first full day will be Dec. 7, her birthday. I planned to have breakfast at CRT and then enjoy MK the rest of the day. Dec. 8 would be spent at Epcot, Dec. 9 we would take the morning off and go to the Christmas party at MK. Dec. 10 is AK, and Dec. 11 we depart.

Now I am worried because Dec. 7 is when they are taping the Christmas parade and when Pop Warner starts, so the park is going to be very crowded. I know Disney gets crowded, but we have heard that usually the time of year we are going is usually less crowded. I can get anxiety attacks in very crowded situations, and I do not want to fight throngs of people all day on her birthday. But NOT going to MK on Dec. 7 is not an option.

So, I was thinking instead of switching our dates to Dec. 3-8 instead. Dec. 7 we would still spend at MK, but since we will have been there earlier in the trip, if it gets too crowded, we can always leave and not feel like we missed anything. But I don't know how to schedule the rest of the days. I think we have to do MK on Dec. 4 (my DH's birthday) since that is the primary reason we are going with two little ones. But then, adding in the Christmas party, that is two and a half days at MK. Is that too much? I guess we would drop Epcot and instead go to AK.

Dec. 4: MK
Dec. 5: AK
Dec. 6. morning off and Christmas party at MK.
Dec. 7: MK

Is that too much MK? Any other suggestions? Which itinerary would you choose?

If you made it this far and want to comment, you are a saint! THANK YOU!
momtoprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
TheoDawg
Mouseketeer

You definitely need to worry about the Christmas Parade filming in early December(usually the first sat/sun in Dec). at MK. Since, Thanksgiving falls on the 28th, Dec 7th/8th look like the days they might film this year. I went a few yrs ago and it was a mess from the Train station to the Castle. Coming earlier is you best option, the Sunday after T-giving the crowds become smaller. If your going to the Christmas party at MK it starts at 7pm but they will let you enter the park after 4 pm, once I found that out I scheduled a ADR inside the park for 4:30 pm for dinner.
3rd Trip-Apr 2007-Off Site
4th Trip-Nov 2007-Marriott Grande Vista-SOLO
5th Trip-Feb 2008-OKW
6th Trip-Mar 2009-POFC
7th Trip-Nov 2010-POR/Marriott Grande Vista/POP-Family
8th Trip-Apr 2011-POP
9th Trip-Sept 2011-Sheraton Vistana-Family
10th Trip-March 2013-Vacation Village @ Parkway
11th Trip-May 2013-Seralago Hotel
12th Trip-Feb 2014-The Fountains/Villas at Island Club

Last edited by TheoDawg; 01-13-2013 at 07:00 PM.
TheoDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

From what I've read, you should worry more about the parade taping and less about Pop Warner unless you are at the same resort. If you absolutely have to go to the MK the same day as the parade taping, go early and stay away from Main Street while the taping is going on.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
alayne
DIS Veteran

I was at WD last month Dec. 4th - 8th for the Christmas Parade taping and I didn't feel that it was all that bad. I had read lots of reports and people gave really great advice. You can do MK on Parade taping day and not feel over crowded. If you are not interested in seeing the Parade then stay away form Main Street and spend more time in the other parts - Fantasyland, Tomorrow Land, etc. If they do the MVMCP the same as last year - Thursday and Friday night that weekend I would pick Friday night. For some reason it was less crowded. We did the party both nights and found that Thursday was really crowded but Friday was great. I would have thought it would have been the opposite.

I like your first plan but that's just my opinion. I know you will have a Magical Trip no matter which way you go.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
momtoprincesses
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your feedback!
momtoprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
ChitownFamily
Mouseketeer

I know everyone has their own favorite parks etc. personally, I would fit epcot in. There are so many wonderful things fo your child - including Nemo, figment, & agent P's world showcase.

Once again, it's just my 2 cents- my 5 year old LOVED epcot. My 5 year old was not tall enough for EE at AK. He did enjoy Dino land... Was meh towards FOLTK.we have 2 world class zoos by us, AK didn't impress as much as Epcot.

Quick tip on the Christmas party- find out how early you can arrive- this year it was 4pm, even though the party didn't start until 7pm

ETA- oops I see a poster already suggested the party tip

Cruise March 2013 (RCI-LIberty of the Seas)
11/28/12-12/8/12 art of animation (Nemo)
Spring 04- offsite, Universal/IOA, Discovery, DW
Christmas-New Years 02-offsite (Been there, Done that!)

Last edited by ChitownFamily; 01-13-2013 at 08:10 PM.
ChitownFamily is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: