Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #16
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorphin View Post
This is troubling. We just got our 5% coupon and I planned to go into Target and grab $2000 in gift cards. It's starting to sound like this won't be possible, even with multiple transactions...??
You could also open a target charge if you reach the debit limit, and then pay it off right in the store.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
thorphin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
You could also open a target charge if you reach the debit limit, and then pay it off right in the store.
True, but I don't know that the effect on my credit would be worth the hassle in the name of saving $100 on GCs.

I just wish there was a easier way to know what to expect going in. I feel bad confidently going up the cashier with the cards I want to buy and then making her life miserable because of transaction problems.

'83, '84: Fort Wilderness...'84: Golf Resort
'88, '93: Disney Inn..........'95, '98: Off Property
'00: Dixie Landings...........'02: PO Riverside
'05: Beach Club Villas.......'09, '10 PO Riverside
09/2013: Poly!
thorphin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
Letsgo2DW
Earning My Ears

I am also curious about the limit for a new card. I just received my new Target Debit Card yesterday and had planned to go in tomorrow to purchase $2200 worth of Disney cards but now I am thinking that might not be possible. Is there anyway to find out what I will be allowed to purchase - since this will be the first time I have used my new card?
Letsgo2DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo2DW View Post
I am also curious about the limit for a new card. I just received my new Target Debit Card yesterday and had planned to go in tomorrow to purchase $2200 worth of Disney cards but now I am thinking that might not be possible. Is there anyway to find out what I will be allowed to purchase - since this will be the first time I have used my new card?
That's the frustrating thing, you just don't know. I guess maybe you could call (the corporate 1-800 number, not your local store) to let them know what you want to do.

My friend works at Target now, so she got a Red debit card. She said she has been making a lot of small purchases, like a snack and drink for her break, a couple grocery items before she heads home, etc. Then one day, her card was declined. She was extra mad, because she was embarrassed in front of a co-worker.

She ended up using her regular bank debit card, so it was not a problem with her bank account. She called Target when she got home, and they told her she had been using it "too much." She said, "Isn't that what you WANT me to do... shop at Target all the time?" So it seems like they take into account the NUMBER of transactions, not just the dollar amount. Very frustrating that they don't explain that to you! I would assume I could buy whatever I want, whenever I want, as long as I have the funds to pay for it.
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
misstdiana
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrask View Post
I have a Target Debit card and would like to use it to buy gift cards for Disney...yay saving 5%.

To cover the dining plan and a little extra. Probably around 50+ to cover the trip.
I need to know this too. I just got my card and I believe they told me how much but I don't remember. I want to buy gift cards for our trip too.
misstdiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
Letsgo2DW
Earning My Ears

I am going to give it a try tomorrow morning before work. We will see how it goes with my very first transaction. I am wondering if I will have better luck doing one large transaction or breaking it up into 4 or 5 $500 transactions....I hate getting embarrassed with a decline when I know I have the funds

I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorphin View Post
True, but I don't know that the effect on my credit would be worth the hassle in the name of saving $100 on GCs.

I just wish there was a easier way to know what to expect going in. I feel bad confidently going up the cashier with the cards I want to buy and then making her life miserable because of transaction problems.
Opening a new card should only help it. Also, if you aren't planning on buying a car or house within the next 2 years, the inquiry will be gone.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #23
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
Opening a new card should only help it. Also, if you aren't planning on buying a car or house within the next 2 years, the inquiry will be gone.
opening up a new cc will drop your score temporaririly, but use if wisely by paying it off every month and if will.gradually go up
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #24
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!

We do not get a discount in the gift cards where I live and I have used mine many times and large amounts . We average 400-600 a month at target and no problems.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
thorphin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo2DW View Post
I am going to give it a try tomorrow morning before work. We will see how it goes with my very first transaction. I am wondering if I will have better luck doing one large transaction or breaking it up into 4 or 5 $500 transactions....I hate getting embarrassed with a decline when I know I have the funds

I will let you all know how it goes.
I think cashiers understand that a whole host of things can happen in the age of electronic payment. I wouldn't worry about getting embarrassed.

Anyway, thanks for hitting the ground tomorrow to see what happens! I wonder, specifically, what success you'll find with a larger transaction (>$1000) and how much you can buy in either large or small (<$500) transactions before they cut you off.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
Letsgo2DW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa71 View Post
We do not get a discount in the gift cards where I live and I have used mine many times and large amounts . We average 400-600 a month at target and no problems.
Oh my....something else to stress about as I check out tomorrow - does this mean that some Targets do not allow you to purchase the Disney cards and get the 5% discount??
Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #27
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!

Yes!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #28
jt8595
Earning My Ears

I just used my red debit card in conjunction with the pharmacy reward to purchase $1000 in Disney cards last week.
jt8595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #29
thorphin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt8595 View Post
I just used my red debit card in conjunction with the pharmacy reward to purchase $1000 in Disney cards last week.
Good news! One transaction?

Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
Letsgo2DW
Earning My Ears

Yay,

Ok here's what happened this morning....

I attempted to purchase 45 cards with my new Target debit card. It DID give the 5% discount but declined the transaction. A receipt printed with a phone number for me to call. I called and the person on the phone said it was because I had not used the card enough to build a history with them since they don't get their money right away. She said it was a store decision if they wanted to let me use my bank debit card and still give me the discount. She spoke to the cashier and the sweet cashier did let me! She rescanned all 45 cards and found a way to do the discount so I was able to save 112.50

Hopefully it will work when I go back to purchase for my daughter and my sister....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: