Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
jenniferj5
Earning My Ears

Can anyone help us plan the kids' first trip?

DH and I both grew up in CA and went to DLR in high school, I also went when I was 10. We're currently stationed in Oklahoma and are going 'home' in May. We're not sure when we'll be able to get back, it's been 5 years since we were back last, and so I want this to be as special as I can make it.

We have 4 kids; the boys are 10 and 8, the girls are 8 and 5. The 10yo has Aspergers and ADD... which factors into wait times, cooperation issues, etc.

We have 3 days, military discount park-hoppers. We're staying off-site, hotel recommendations would be awesome as well. $100 or less, per night. We're on a super tight budget.

We'll be driving from Vegas on May 5th and then DLR the 6th-8th.

The crowd calendar says 'ghost town' but I'm not entirely sure what that means. I get that crowds are low, but how low? What will we be seeing in terms of wait times?

I'm also looking for help in 'planning' our rides and stuff. I just really want to be able to get the most out of this trip but still have it fun. If we're lucky we can go back again in 2018... but a 15yo boy might not have such a fun time, lol!

Thanks!
jenniferj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferj5 View Post

I'm also looking for help in 'planning' our rides and stuff. I just really want to be able to get the most out of this trip but still have it fun. If we're lucky we can go back again in 2018... but a 15yo boy might not have such a fun time, lol!

Thanks!
That is when I think RideMax is super handy. Even though the mid week crowds will be low, with just 3 days you do want to maximize your experience. You can play around with RideMax and tell it what time you expect to arrive (opening or later?), what rides are priorities, what rides do you want to do twice, is dh or you willing to go grab fastpasses?, how fast will you tour? and then it recommends a game plan for the day, letting you break when you want, eat when you want, see the fireworks or shows etc. You can keep tweaking it until it looks like you want, then day before you leave you finalize it (this allows for any updates they have done to the formula). Basically it helps you to go against what most people will do on that day so you will have shorter wait times, you can see more, do more....

Have a super awesome time! Oh and either look through the threads or search (use the search feature on the front page of the threads in the right corner) for more information and great tips from those who know on how to make your oldest sons day wonderful- there is really good advice on things you can do for kids who don't deal well with crowds or noise, or whatever
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

start with the sticky threads at the top of this board. Those are great and can link you to other superthreads. Speaking of, watch for the superthreads. If I recall correctly, there is one about the good neighbor hotels/motels available nearby. You might also check to see what kind of military discount might be available to you and know Costco can have some decent prices for hotels around there.

Re your eldest, you can go to City Hall upon your arrival into DL to get a GAC. They have been cracking down on them so we'll see what they say but if you say that waiting in lines with bunch of people is impossible, you might get the alternative entrance which still is some waiting but fewer folks. GL!

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Check Desert inn and suites for rooms. They are across the street and we have it booked in late may for $89/nt for a room that sleeps 6.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
bradleykim
Earning My Ears

We are trying the La Quinta Inn this trip because we wanted 2 rooms, walking distance, free breakfast, free wifi, free parking. We got a King suite (they have 2 queen suites also) with a pull-out sofa for $75 a night with their military appreciation deal. I'm excited too try it out as it's just outside our "normal " hotel zone. If walking becomes an issue we'll hope on the DL Parking shuttle nearby.
bradleykim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Make sure to ask the Harbor hotels if they offer a military discount. Also, I know that you're in Oklahoma so I'm not sure what they offer, but at our base they offer vouchers for hotel discounts at a few of them. Unfortunately the discounted prices are still in the $99-$129 range (without parking or taxes I think) so that might still be above your budget.
sonnyjane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
sunflare
Mouseketeer

Be sure to check out getawaytoday.com's hotel rates. They have some "third day free" rates that are super-low, even when you factor in their $20 admin fee - especially if you don't mind taking the ART or paying for parking in the parks.
sunflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
Check Desert inn and suites for rooms. They are across the street and we have it booked in late may for $89/nt for a room that sleeps 6.
I was just coming to post this!

I also recommend Ridemax. They are great for planning out your day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: