Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #3451
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Bad news Tuesday ownage.

When the timing belt broke and busted the water pump, the engine over heated and blew the head gasket. That is another $1300 on top of the $450 for the water pump. I told him I'd think about it. I'm not worried about an upsale, as this is not his usual business practice, but the car is only worth about $2700. Do I fix it and hope to get another 5 years our of it? Or, try to sell it as is?
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #3452
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy
Bad news Tuesday ownage.

When the timing belt broke and busted the water pump, the engine over heated and blew the head gasket. That is another $1300 on top of the $450 for the water pump. I told him I'd think about it. I'm not worried about an upsale, as this is not his usual business practice, but the car is only worth about $2700. Do I fix it and hope to get another 5 years our of it? Or, try to sell it as is?
Always a tough call. Hate to spend about 2/3 of its value to fix it only to find out there might be some other problem you may not know about.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #3453
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly

Hey guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Good Day Men & Paul!
Randall, did I ever tell you where you could stick those penguins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Paul. How was the ice this morning? Everything around us was frozen solid this morning. Hoping the warmer weather today melts most of it before the inevitable refreeze again tonight.
Hey Jim!

We had the same conditions this morning, but luckily it warmed up and melted most of the ice and some snow today. Ready for it all to be gone.

We still on for a lunch sometime this month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
Bad news Tuesday ownage.

I'd vote to sell as is. I usually look at it as chasing losses at the blackjack table. Best to just cash in your chips and choose a new game... Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #3454
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Quote:
Bad news Tuesday ownage.

Fish or cut bait...I think it's best to put it to rest, and move on....it's only going to cost you more in the end....

Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #3455
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Always a tough call. Hate to spend about 2/3 of its value to fix it only to find out there might be some other problem you may not know about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodBelding View Post
I'd vote to sell as is. I usually look at it as chasing losses at the blackjack table. Best to just cash in your chips and choose a new game... Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
Fish or cut bait...I think it's best to put it to rest, and move on....it's only going to cost you more in the end....
Thanks. I'm thinking time to sell as well. It is also a third vehicle and we did just fine with two for years. It was convenient to have the third vehicle when one broke down, but not $1300 worth convenient.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #3456
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly

Quote:
Thanks. I'm thinking time to sell as well. It is also a third vehicle and we did just fine with two for years. It was convenient to have the third vehicle when one broke down, but not $1300 worth convenient.
Good call. If that extra $1,300 ends up burning a hole in your pocket, I'd suggest using it to hire a hitman to eradicate the recent penguin-infestation we've been suffering around these parts...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #3457
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Quote:
Bad news Tuesday ownage.

Did you already get the work done on the water pump & belt
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #3458
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:

I think you know what I think.

ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #3459
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Quote:
Well, either everyone views me as a formidable challenge, or just realizes as easy victory as I currently get winded instructing the children to walk to the mailbox.

It may be worth an effort to train for it; however, we don't arrive at WDW until October 5 around 6:30 AM, and that is me leaving Friday around 4:00 PM. It will be difficult for me to make the race. Maybe next time.
It was worth a try.

Quote:
Bad news Tuesday ownage.

Donate it. We got a pretty sweet tax deduction. I think they changed the rules since then so you may want to talk to your tax guy first.

Quote:
We have three cars now too. That third car makes life a lot easier.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #3460
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
Did you already get the work done on the water pump & belt
Unfortunately, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
Donate it. We got a pretty sweet tax deduction. I think they changed the rules since then so you may want to talk to your tax guy first.

We have three cars now too. That third car makes life a lot easier.
Was thinking about the deduction. I'm considering it. It depends on what I could sell it or junk it for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
I think you know what I think.

DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #3461
disdadIL
DIS Dad #711
Big Trouble in Little Suburbs

Hello dads. Belt testing Saturday for me and DD. wish us luck please. Hope everyone is well. Prayers for good things to those who need it.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #3462
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
The rules changed substantially. Now, you can only deduct what the vehicle ultimately sells for. So if the vehicle's only good for scrap, you only get to deduct the scrap value. And it takes longer to get an amount certain for the deduction (you have to wait until the sale/auction or decision to scrap it and sale).
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #3463
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by disdadIL View Post
Hello dads. Belt testing Saturday for me and DD. wish us luck please. Hope everyone is well. Prayers for good things to those who need it.
Good luck nemie.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 AM   #3464
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Quote:
Bad news Tuesday ownage.

Tough call. If you donate it, maybe a charity has someone who can fix it cheap and then someone in need could use it.

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 8/22/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #3465
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Good morning. Happy Ash Wednesday for those of you observe. Heading to the early Mass today for ashes, then on to a doctors appointment. DW and I have a call with t he agency we want to sign with so hopefully that goes well

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 8/22/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
Closed Thread

Tags
bacon, convention, dole whip, fun

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: