Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #3346
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Morning Guys, Happy Monday!!

Should be a fun couple of days here. It is sunny now but is suppose to cloud over and snow another couple of inches before turning to rain and freezing rain through the night and tomorrow. Then back to snow for another 4 or 5 inches before raining again.

That cruise can get here soon enough!!!!!!!!
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 02-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #3347
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
So are you all dug out now, when I was a teenager we took full advantage of the snow making a ton of cash shoveling, we would work as a team of 5 and get driveways done in no time, at the end of the day we would have a couple hundred bucks each, not bad for the 80's but people will pay if you do a good job and can dig them out quick so they can go to work or at least try You just don't see it too much anymore teenagers willing to do a little work to make some money, but then again today's teenagers at least around here sleep way too much
Yes, we are out. I think the timing of it helped since we had a couple of days.

I agree with the not too many kids using the storm as a revenue source. We used to do the same when we were kids. I actually use my snowblower to clear out most neighbors (one is over 80 with no family close), it's the neighborly thing to do. My DS helps shovel the stairs off and any spots I can't get to so I have one that works pretty hard without getting paid. We do about 6 neighbors most storms. I guess I should think about slipping him a few bucks for helping out.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #3348
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Morning...lovely out today, everything has started to melt into crappy slush, and it rained a bit taking the kids to school. However it's also very slick, sidewalks and roads are slippery. came out of the school to see some parents helping another who wiped out on the road after dropping off her kids.

Day off today, going to practice the art of slacking off

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Crud... Have a co-worker who apparently must do something to get sick every weekend, or he's allergic to Monday's or something. Oh well, at least he'll be out of sick days by March if he keeps it up. Gonna be a long day...
Our Product Consultant gets 15 days annually, usually used up by March. She was "sick" on her week of nights (she doesn't think she should have to work them like the rest of us) And by my count, have used 6-7 this year. Kharma will get them when something serious happens...

Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #3349
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Tim, thise were great pics. All jokes about Canada abd winter aside, we rarely if ever see snow in that amount in this part anyways. If I headed up to the cottage area, yep, we have to snowshoe in to check out Dad's trailer, even rented a cottage for snowmobiling/skiing once when I was a kid. I remember thew snow being piled high (Adults almost waist deep) So much fun.

Best we got really was a foot, foot and a half after that storm, and it's already started to melt. Glad the kids took advantage and had some fun, and everyone chipped in and helped one another dig out.

Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)

Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #3350
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
So are you all dug out now, when I was a teenager we took full advantage of the snow making a ton of cash shoveling, we would work as a team of 5 and get driveways done in no time, at the end of the day we would have a couple hundred bucks each, not bad for the 80's but people will pay if you do a good job and can dig them out quick so they can go to work or at least try You just don't see it too much anymore teenagers willing to do a little work to make some money, but then again today's teenagers at least around here sleep way too much
We used to do the same thing.. shovel for a few hours, go buy lunch, then hang out for the rest of the day. I don't think I'd be out shoveling this snowfall though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
TIM... great pictures!!!!!. the snow is fun when your a kid and dont have a care in the world.
we had a storm like that a few years ago. after that, i went a bought a snow blower. im getting to old for that crap.
now i cant believe i busted my hump for years shoveling.glad the power stayed on for you guys.
Yea, it was much better as a kid. There was no work and all play!

I used to have my driveway plowed by Melody's dad, but he sold his plow truck last year. The problem with this storm is that the plow trucks were almost useless. There was too much snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post
Great pics! Keep an eye out for the "mail" later this week
Here are a few pics that a kid I know posted on facebook taken today. He works for the post office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Crud... Have a co-worker who apparently must do something to get sick every weekend, or he's allergic to Monday's or something. Oh well, at least he'll be out of sick days by March if he keeps it up. Gonna be a long day...
Get him back in the summer.

Quote:
You call that a blizzard???
Well, it is more like the aftermath of a blizzard.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #3351
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
Tim, thise were great pics. All jokes about Canada abd winter aside, we rarely if ever see snow in that amount in this part anyways. If I headed up to the cottage area, yep, we have to snowshoe in to check out Dad's trailer, even rented a cottage for snowmobiling/skiing once when I was a kid. I remember thew snow being piled high (Adults almost waist deep) So much fun.

Best we got really was a foot, foot and a half after that storm, and it's already started to melt. Glad the kids took advantage and had some fun, and everyone chipped in and helped one another dig out.
In 2011, we had some big storms but they were a week or 2 apart. It gave the crews some place to move the snow. The problem with this one is that they couldn't push it. Show plows were getting stuck.

After my driveway was done, we went over to my other neighbors and got him out. Now it's raining. Hopefully roofs don't start caving.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #3352
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post

Here are a few pics that a kid I know posted on facebook taken today. He works for the post office.

Why are all those trucks parked? I thought nothing stopped the postal service.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #3353
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
That was the old days. Now it is, nothing stops the mail man except snow, ice and workers comp claims. And soon to be implemented......Saturdays!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #3354
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Morning gentlemen. You guys sure were chatty. I'll just pick up here.

Hope everyone made it through the snownami alright. The pics are incredible keep them coming.

I put in for an open full time position at work. Hopefully it comes through.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #3355
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Well, it is more like the aftermath of a blizzard.
Man, those were some amazing pictures. Reminds me of that time a couple of years ago when we got 2 blizzards dumping a couple of feet of snow on us in one week.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #3356
scott2997
DIS Dad#543
You trying for ownage?!
I'm not sure what I'll be tied up in at home tonight

Ok guys - I need your help.....

I've been tasked with coming up with some T-shirt designs for our day trip to MK in 6 weeks.

They're thinking some kind of name design on the front....and maybe another design that I could print on a whole sheet for the back - somehow incorporating all of our name designs.

I know some of you are good with graphics....anyone willing to help a guy out??

I've checked out the DISsigners section, and there's so much there - I'm kind getting overwhelmed!

Any help would be appreciated!

Dis Dads Member #543

April 2012 Spring Break TR

Trips:April 2014 (BLT), January 2014 (CBR), January 2013 (OKW), April 2012 (BLT)
MK Only (1 day visits) - 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
Offsite - 2013, 2005, 1990
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #3357
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
That was the old days. Now it is, nothing stops the mail man except snow, ice and workers comp claims. And soon to be implemented......Saturdays!
THIS is the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Man, those were some amazing pictures. Reminds me of that time a couple of years ago when we got 2 blizzards dumping a couple of feet of snow on us in one week.
Yea Mark. It was unbelievable. 2 storms a week for like a month straight.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #3358
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2997 View Post
Ok guys - I need your help.....

I've been tasked with coming up with some T-shirt designs for our day trip to MK in 6 weeks.

They're thinking some kind of name design on the front....and maybe another design that I could print on a whole sheet for the back - somehow incorporating all of our name designs.

I know some of you are good with graphics....anyone willing to help a guy out??

I've checked out the DISsigners section, and there's so much there - I'm kind getting overwhelmed!

Any help would be appreciated!
I'd love to help ya but I goto the DISigners board when I need something.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #3359
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
Morning gentlemen. You guys sure were chatty. I'll just pick up here.

Hope everyone made it through the snownami alright. The pics are incredible keep them coming.

I put in for an open full time position at work. Hopefully it comes through.
Good luck with the new position. We're all rooting for ya.

Hopefully it is more money, shorter hours and plenty of time to spend on the Dis boards.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #3360
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Quote:

My brother works for Canada Post, I'm sending him this pic..

Closed Thread

Tags
bacon, convention, dole whip, fun

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: