Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #3136
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Old 02-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #3137
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Cold here as well. They are talking our first good sized snow storm this Friday/Saturday. One model was showing over a foot of snow, but they are still guessing. Everyone is starting to freak out about basketball games and weekend events being cancelled. Really people? We live in New England and it's going to snow. Who would have guessed. Drive slow and stop the complaining. We haven't had snow in 2 years.

Hey CJ, I'll save a snowball for you in the freezer.
Stay safe up there in Boston. Looks like you guys are gonna take the brunt of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post
Woo-hoo! I've never been so happy to get bad news! Some of you may recall that I had some serious stomach issues that almost cancelled my trip in January. That ailment also messed me up big time for the half-marathon. After a month and no improvement, we just got the results of some bloodwork. I have some ulcer-causing bacteria in my gut! Isn't that awesome! That means I have a good excuse for getting such a bad time for the race. It also means I don't have pancreatic cancer which crossed my mind. Two weeks of some heavy duty antibiotics and a crap load of pepto and I should be good to go. Hooray for bacteria!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Glad they figured out what was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Actually, this is an admirable attitude we can all adopt today. Whatever you're dealing with, it's better than cancer.
And even when it is cancer, some are better than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O View Post
Hey everyone, hope everyone is doing well.
It has been a crazy start to the new year, DW got into a car accident, other driver was in the wrong lane they hit head on. Thankfully they we not going to fast and kiddos were not in the van. DW is okay, but has some whip lash and here legs are really sore. She started some therapy and we are hoping that helps. All things considered we are pretty lucky. Someone was definitely looking over her that day. We are still fighting with the insurance company over value of the van. We were also renegotiating our mortgage and had to go vehicle shopping all at the same time.
A new month has arrived and things are looking better already.
Thanks for listening guys, good to get it all off my chest.
Wow... scary stuff. Glad your DW is doing ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post
I didn't win the lottery, but my boss just called and wanted to go over some shifts for down the road and during the conversation he says "oh, and I just realized that you have gotten a rate increase in all the time you've been working for us, so I am putting one in for you, should be effective soon."

Wow... I got a raise. I didn't think that was possible given my freelance status. It's a modest increase that equates to about $2k-$3k per year, depending on how much I work. But there is the potential that my other job, which pays me based on the rate I get from this job, might therefore increase too. If so, then it's more like another $10k per year. Either way... today is a good day.
thats nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Wow, looks like a nasty snow storm for the NE! Stay safe, stay warm and hopefully the power grid will stay intact!
Bought gas for the generator just in case.... Looks like this one is the real deal. They are predicting 20'' here. Got a tractor that I can use to clear my driveway?

We are still waiting to hear if Melody gets canceled from work tomorrow. I really do hope so, but you never know what they are going to do in the hospital.

Quote:
And it might be a little bit wrong of me, but I'm kind of hoping for a big snow or ice storm like this one to hit the NY/NJ area during the Super Bowl weekend next year. Just to see what will happen.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
Word on the Camry is the Timing chain broke which caused the water pump to fail. To replace it all, it will cost around $450. That is worth it to keep that car going.
Doesn't seem too bad. Less than 2 months car payment.

Quote:
Thank God you didn't shoot it.
TRUE!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #3138
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Mufasa said that and look what it got him!
Quote:
Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #3139
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Thanks guys.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
Not bad considering Norm. I thought it was going to be A LOT worse.
Me too. I already gave them CJ's credit card #.

Quote:
Consider yourself lucky. My Camry isn't as old as yours ('03) but it's still running. I tell my daughter that it will be hers someday.
I told mine to expect the same. Free car or no car. Their choice.

Quote:
Sounds like it could have been a lot worse.
Thanks.

Quote:
Mufasa said that and look what it got him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post

Doesn't seem too bad. Less than 2 months car payment. :
I hope to never have a car payment again.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #3140
wasnotafan
DIS Dad #481
Unfortunately my smartphone is smatter than I am
All that fresh air over the years has done me good

Quote:
Word on the Camry is the Timing chain broke which caused the water pump to fail. To replace it all, it will cost around $450. That is worth it to keep that car going...
I meant to ask, are you in the pension system?
Glad you got relatively good news on the car. Makes it a little less painful.

My last pension plan was working for Cornell in the early '90s but I got laid off before it vested. Cashed it in and swore I would never work for a state retirement system again so I have always gone for the alternative retirement plans. That hasn't worked out particularly well, but I figure if I'm not doing well at retirement I would rather it be my fault than someone else.

Quote:
Looks like we'll get nothing but cold rain out of it.

Quote:
That's that conversation we all dream of having with our kids, isn't it?

"Someday...this will all be yours."
It would be nice to leave them something, but as long as I don't leave them a bunch of debt I'll call it fair.

Quote:
I don't think my kids would want my 2000 Explorer...
How about an 02 Elantra
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Wow, looks like a nasty snow storm for the NE! Stay safe, stay warm and hopefully the power grid will stay intact!...
Prayers for all the Dads in the storms path. Stay safe and stay warm.
Sept/Oct 06 - POR Riverside Alligator Bayou
July 08 - POR Riverside Magnolia Bend
Old 02-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #3141
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Quote:
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #3142
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
The kids can build a snow fort with a basement.

Sounds like a plan. Just make sure the snow blower has enough gas. I almost ran out a couple of years ago when we got 21".
Snow blocks and snowball makers at the ready. A few years ago we used the snowblower to make one of the largest snow forts I have ever seen. All the neighborhood kids showed up to dig it out. Took them about a week.

Snowblower is ready to go, but I have had a plow come since I hurt the knee last year so not a lot of other clean up. Just a small driveway area and the stairs. Next year I'll be back to doing it myself when the knee is fully back.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #3143
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Stay safe up there in Boston. Looks like you guys are gonna take the brunt of it.
According to the forecast, it is supposed to stall right off the coast and back up on us. That is why the huge snow totals are being predicted. Stay safe down there as well!

Hey Norm, I need CJ's cc numbers so I can book some quick flights to Miami. We'll just stay at his house. I'm sure he in the "Keys" again anyway.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #3144
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Checked out the new store this morning, going to feel a little claustraphobic, it's a smaller space, 4 tiered shelves, not not as open as the old one. Got my schedual, my rotation doesn't skip a beat. Got a second three day stretch too, I have this weekend+ day off, then next weekend Sunday/Monday/Tuesday off....sweet.

Quote:
My annual review is due next week and would expect around 3-5% increase similar to the last few years. As usual, it will be May by the time we get to it. At least it's retroactive.
Retro pay is nice, especially hen it's a nice chunck of change.

Quote:
I really liked All Star and POP until I stayed at CBR and had a fake beach, bigger bed, and NO WAIT AT THE BUS STOP. The DVC resorts are even better as I can walk to some of the parks.
In time, we'll get to better resorts, but we go with what we can afford. I don't really want it that way, but somewhere down the line, we will likely inherit DW's parents DVC contract they got a couple of years ago, then we'll really get places.

Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #3145
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:
From the AP:

Kentucky produces 95 percent of the world's bourbon supply, according to the Kentucky Distillers' Association. There are 4.9 million bourbon barrels aging in Kentucky, which outnumbers the state's population.

We have our priorities.
Kentuckians have their priorities straight. And many of us are glad for it.

Quote:
Word on the Camry is the Timing chain broke which caused the water pump to fail. To replace it all, it will cost around $450. That is worth it to keep that car going.
At least not terrible news. Think of the car you could buy for $450.

Quote:
According to the forecast, it is supposed to stall right off the coast and back up on us. That is why the huge snow totals are being predicted. Stay safe down there as well!

Hey Norm, I need CJ's cc numbers so I can book some quick flights to Miami. We'll just stay at his house. I'm sure he in the "Keys" again anyway.
Actually leaving tomorrow for a few days. Stay safe up there guys and I promise no pictures of the pool bar. Selfish I know but I am glad it was this week instead of next. Would not like to be stuck driving in that $#!%.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #3146
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious
It's hard work being a non-essential employee.
When I grow up I want to be a non-essential employee!

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #3147
DisneyDaddy-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy

Maybe I'll come work for you. I can add a bacon and queso style to the menu.
A Dis dads restaurant!! I love it, we can split the shifts and that gives us time at the parks!! Any other dads wanna join.
Time for CJ to start looking for a location.

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #3148
DisneyDaddy-O

Got a call from my DW....she says "we have a problem" I'm thinking what else could go wrong! Our car wouldn't start this morning!!!!

Trying to stay positive here........

Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #3149
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
When I grow up I want to be a non-essential employee!
I think the DISDads Bacon restaurant sounds better.

Quote:
Got a call from my DW....she says "we have a problem" I'm thinking what else could go wrong! Our car wouldn't start this morning!!!!

Trying to stay positive here........
Sorry to hear it! Would it have something to do with the accident?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #3150
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A Dis dads restaurant!! I love it, we can split the shifts and that gives us time at the parks!! Any other dads wanna join.
Time for CJ to start looking for a location.
I'm in. We could put it in the old PI space somewhere in DD. They obviously have no other plans for it. It would be the busiest restaurant in the Kingdom! Tim and Barry can host pre-race specials.

Closed Thread

Tags
bacon, convention, dole whip, fun

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: