Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
ashleywright
Earning My Ears

Red face Pop vs Old Key West

I know, I know comparing value to deluxe is really no comparison, but in the FD frenzy yesterday I booked a reservation at each for my family of 13. I think I listened to its a small world one to many times over my 3.5 hour wait and my judgment was a little off... Anyway!

I would love to know everyones pro and cons about each resort.

Trip Details: Party Size = 13 (ages 13-70) November 9th-15th

Thanks for the help!!
ashleywright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywright View Post
I know, I know comparing value to deluxe is really no comparison, but in the FD frenzy yesterday I booked a reservation at each for my family of 13. I think I listened to its a small world one to many times over my 3.5 hour wait and my judgment was a little off... Anyway!

I would love to know everyones pro and cons about each resort.

Trip Details: Party Size = 13 (ages 13-70) November 9th-15th

Thanks for the help!!
What kind of rooms are you booked in at OKW? I'm assuming you have 4 regular rooms at Pop?

OKW Pros:
-Large rooms
-Kitchen/kitchenette depending on the rooms you booked
-In room laundry in 1 bedrooms and up
-Larger beds
-Prettier (IMO)
-More resort activities
-Better pool area with slide
-Table service restaurant
-Boat to DTD
-No upgrade cost needed for regular DDP

OKW Cons:
-More expensive
-Multiple bus stops
-Large resort
-Less in your face theming (could be a pro, depending on your preference)
-Somebody may be sleeping on a pull out (depending on your room choice)

Pop Pros:
-Cheaper
-One bus stop
-Stronger theme
-Great food court
-Nobody is sleeping on a pull out (depending on your room choice)

Pop Cons:
-Small rooms
-Smaller beds
-No table service
-No water slide/hot tub
-Extra $$ to upgrade to regular DDP
-Less recreational activities
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
ashleywright
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethananyonex View Post
What kind of rooms are you booked in at OKW? I'm assuming you have 4 regular rooms at Pop?

OKW Pros:
-Large rooms
-Larger beds
-Prettier (IMO)
-More resort activities
-Boat to DTD

OKW Cons:
-More expensive
-Multiple bus stops
-Large resort

Pop Pros:
-Cheaper
-One bus stop
-Stronger theme
-Great food court

Pop Cons:
-Small rooms
-Smaller beds
-No table service
-No water slide/hot tub
At the Pop Century we have standard view rooms. And, at OKW we have a 2 Br Villa and a Studio.
ashleywright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
SMCURT28
Earning My Ears

As long as paying a little more money isn't an issue it would be a no brainer for me...OKW. If for no other reason than the fact that with one stroke of the magic wand, Disney just filled POP to near capacity for almost all of the free dining period. Did you see/hear how many people switched from other resorts to POP to get the offer? Absolutely amazing how Disney can push people at will to whatever resorts they want to fill at any given time (but that's a subject for another thread). It will be a zoo to say the least and we'll be reading posts on how bad the bus service is for months after the promotion ends. But it's worth it for the "free" food right?

FWIW, OKW is the original DVC resort and as such, has the largest rooms. All DVC resorts that followed after OKW have smaller rooms as Disney learned they could pack more rooms into resorts if they were smaller. You will enjoy a much more peaceful trip at OKW, especially for the upper age range of your party. Request a room near the Community Center. Take the boat to DTD......Trust me!!

You'd also be MUCH further ahead financially to rent DVC points for OKW, for goe the FD, and pay out of pocket for your meals. (that also is the subject for another thread and never goes over well when you point it out to the FD folks who think they just saved thousands of dollars on their trip). Good luck, you'll be happy either way!!
SMCURT28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
AtlantaDisneyDreamer
Mouseketeer

Based on rack rates for OKW 2 bedroom villas and Pop rates, wouldn't you be paying more than twice as much for OKW?

When I am comparing two resorts, I total up the amount of both options. I look at the difference. I ask myself how many hours I would have to work at my job to make up that difference. If the benefits of staying at the more expensive resort are worth the extra hours I would have to put in at work, I book the more expensive. Otherwise, I go with the less expensive.

I think I would consider whether everyone in your party would be happy at Pop. My mom is 72 and I think it might be worth it to pay for OKW rather than Pop for her because she would enjoy OKW so much more and because she spends most of her Disney time at the resort. Six nights at a value resort when you are used to deluxe would be a challenge. On the other hand, if you are going to be in the parks most of the time and your party members are not picky about hotels, then I would would think saving the money might be a better choice.
AtlantaDisneyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
ktate82
DIS Veteran

I personally would spend the extra and stay at OKW. We stayed at POP twice and hated it. The second time was a free stay since the first was so bad, and even that was bad enough I wouldn't stay there even for free again. You will have a lot more room in OKW too. We have stayed 5 to a hotel room (Poly) and 5 in a 1 bedroom at AKL and wow what a difference!
Sept 2014 AKL, June 2014 SWW at OKW, Feb 2014 Disney Magic, Sept 2013 AKL, May 2013 POP, Dec 2012 AOA, Sept 2012 POP, Sept 2011 Poly, March 2011 Poly, Sept 2010 CBR, July 1995 off site (MK only), Aug 1987 off site (MK only)

ktate82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #7
Countryrunner262
Mouseketeer

We stayed twice at POP during FD. It was CRAZY!! The parks seemed like a breeze compared to trying to get through the food court at POP. We actually had to stand and eat breakfast on more than once because there wasn't a table open. After that we stopped staying at value resorts. After a long day at the park we just want to relax!
Countryrunner262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both and the PP list of pros and cons is right on.

The rooms at OKW are wonderful and larger than other DVC rooms. The resort is much bigger and spread out. We were kind lucky in that our room wasn't that far a walk from the firs bus stop. One time we decided to stay on the bus until it got to the stop by our room and it seemed like it took forever! Maybe some disers can recommend good room areas to request.

Olivia's restaurant was wonderful - really enjoyed it. There is also a boat that will take you to DTD. I remember the CMs there to be particularly nice especially the ladies in the gift shop.

I think the older people in your party will enjoy OKW more.

POP is a great value. The resort is smaller and rooms are not too far a walk to main room and bus stop. 50's, 60's and 70's would be best areas to request. The theming is fun and kids tend to like it. The food court had a good variety and the food I fine. The beds, however are small...full size. Depending upon who's sharing it may get too close for comfort. There are 3 of us, DH, me and DS. When we stay at POP one of us shares bed with DS because it's more comfortable.

You know the people in your party best...I would lean towards OKW as it's a more comfortable resort and having a kitchen and washer and dryer may be helpful.
Wendybird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I find the con listed (except for the pull out ) to really be big Pluses.

The bus stops are well layed out over a wonderful well themed and landscaped resort. Yes big Pluses for us.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Stayed at POP many times during Free Dining and honestly never had an issue with the stay. Last fall was there for 12 days and not once in that time did I see or hear any of our neighbors on our floor. I always request a standard lake view room and love the quiet there. If you book a pool side or preferred room, chances are it will be busier and louder. Key for us is to try to plan almost all our meals at the parks, Downtown Disney or AoA (it's busy but more options). We eat breakfast in our room, we avoid food courts at all costs in the mornings - busy and prices for breakfast crazy.

Bottom line is what are your plans and priorities for the trip?
- Do you need a kitchenette if you have Free Dining?
- Do you do so much pool time that most your swimmers need a slide and hot tub?
- Do you want to be "sharing space"? and what is the people to space ratio in OK vs POP? What are your hopes for privacy?
- What bedding situation would work better?
- Are bathrooms a huge issue and which work better for your group?
- Is washer/dryer in unit important? Me - I don't do laundry on vacation.
- Is this about eating/parks or about eating/resort time?
- No young kids so the activities and child needs are not a factor so remove those amenities from the picture.

I say crunch the numbers and if there is a big difference then decide what your most important needs are - where can they be met for the best value for your group. Obviously for me, if the costs are do-able for the nicer resort then I choose that. If the numbers are going to hurt the budget or having you give up other things you want to do, then I look at the least expensive option that meets my requirements.

POP Bldg 3 view

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethananyonex View Post

OKW Pros:
-Large rooms
-Larger beds
-Prettier (IMO)
-More resort activities
-Boat to DTD

OKW Cons:
-More expensive
-Multiple bus stops
-Large resort

Pop Pros:
-Cheaper
-One bus stop
-Stronger theme
-Great food court

Pop Cons:
-Small rooms
-Smaller beds
-No table service
-No water slide/hot tub
This list is right on! Well done.

If the $$ is not an issue, OKW is a no brainer. It will be much more relaxed and you'll enjoy the resort more, especially the older party members. The boat to DTD is a nice ride and makes it easy to get in and out with all of the parking restrictions during construction.

If the $$ is a big issue, I would say POP. Just know that it will be crazy busy, packing 4 in a room is always tight at the values in our opinion and plan to eat at off times if using the food court. It can get crazy in there during FD times as the values are the first to reach full booking levels due to the lower cost.

I'm sure you'll have a good time either way, but OKW would definitely be my choice.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
november 14, old key west, pop century

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: