Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
DisneyLvr12
Mouseketeer

What Construction will be going on at Poly this summer?

We're considering a stay there in early Aug, but I'm worried about what construction might be going on. Anyone know? Will the lobby be torn apart at that time? What about the main pool? I've heard it'll be closed and under construction this summer. True? Are there other pools at the resort besides the main one that'll be open? I can't imagine they will be big enough to hold the summer crowds though. The pool isn't a deal breaker, but definitely curious as to what other construction will be happening there in Aug. Thanks!
DisneyLvr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
cyberbox2
DIS Veteran

This link is a great place to start. It is a site dedicated to the Poly and full of great info. I found it mot long ago while trying to find an answer to the same question about construction.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/new...h-construction
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr12 View Post
We're considering a stay there in early Aug, but I'm worried about what construction might be going on. Anyone know? Will the lobby be torn apart at that time? What about the main pool? I've heard it'll be closed and under construction this summer. True? Are there other pools at the resort besides the main one that'll be open? I can't imagine they will be big enough to hold the summer crowds though. The pool isn't a deal breaker, but definitely curious as to what other construction will be happening there in Aug. Thanks!
The lobby waterfall has been turned off and is walled off. Captain Cooks is gone but there is a smaller and temporary set up. The Volcano pool is scheduled to be shut down July 28 until March 2015. Quite a bit of beach is gone due to the huts being built over the water. Sunset point is gone. For more details I would check out Tikiman's website and/or facebook page.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/new...nesian-updates
Old 05-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr12 View Post
The main pool is scheduled to close sometime in July and not reopen until possibly March 2015, but the quiet pool will be open. Poly guests will also be allowed to use the pools at the GF. I'm not sure what the time frame is for the GCH, Captain Cooks, etc., but the pp provided a great link for up to date information .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
mskay2014
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr12
I just read that guests will get a free pass to blizzard beach because of the pool being closed. Not sure how reliable the source was but worth looking into
mskay2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
DisneyLvr12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskay2014 View Post
I just read that guests will get a free pass to blizzard beach because of the pool being closed. Not sure how reliable the source was but worth looking into
Well that would be AWESOME since we were planning a trip to Blizzard Beach! Any clue how I can go about finding out how valid that rumor is?!
DisneyLvr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskay2014 View Post
yes it is true Disney will have dedicated buses for poly guests to go to blizzard beach. These buses will take guests to a poly specific entrance for them to redeem their free entry pass.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
JJsmama
Becoming an accidental expert on resorts Far from The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
yes it is true Disney will have dedicated buses for poly guests to go to blizzard beach. These buses will take guests to a poly specific entrance for them to redeem their free entry pass.
really? Do we have the dates for this? I am debating Cr vs poly for August and the boys and I are planning water parks for first time ever. Is it single day passes or multiple day?

Contemporary x 5 trips, Polynesian x 4 trips, Beach Club x 2 trip, Wilderness Lodge x 1 trip, Port Orleans R / FQ x 3 trips, All Stars Movies x 1 trip, Tokyo DisneyLand and Tokyo DisneySea x 1 trip, Disney Cruise line x 3 cruises

Animal Kingdom Lodge & Contemporary Here We Come! Summer 2014
JJsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJsmama View Post
really? Do we have the dates for this? I am debating Cr vs poly for August and the boys and I are planning water parks for first time ever. Is it single day passes or multiple day?
Right here on DIS (wdwinfo.com) - Reads as ONE DAY TICKET. But worth checking in to because with dedicated entrance and while pool closed could translate into each day.

"Disney's Polynesian Resort- Polynesian Beach and Sunset Point- the eastern portion will be unavailable 9/9/2013- to be determined. Great Ceremonial House Lobby rehab 3/1/2014 - 12/2014, Capt. Cook's closed 3/2014- 8/2014. Alternate dining will be available. Moana Mickey's Arcade closed starting 3/30/2014. Trader Jacks- closed 6/16/2014- ? The Volcano Pool is expected to be closed late July 2014 through early 2015. Guests will receive a free day ticket at Blizzard Beach while the pool is closed. The resort will be providing transportation to a dedicated check in at Blizzard Beach where you will receive your free ticket and towel. Guests will be notified of the pool closure and offer."
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
jjtmom
Disney mom of 3

We are considering the Poly for August 5th-11th. I have weighed the pros and the cons to all the construction....

PROS
-It's the POLYNESIAN
-Access to monorail
-We are doing Mk twice, O'hana's, Hoop-Dee-Doo, Epcot so all of that is very convenient to the Poly.
-Access to GF Pool (is this true? I can't seem to find any confirmation)
-Tickets to Blizzard Beach.

CONS
-Construction is no fun.
-Not having a pool will be a hassle (I am assuming this isn't affecting quiet pool)
-Captain Cook's may or may not be open.
-More construction could be announced.
-No fun pool activities for my Boys

We were there last weekend and as of right now what I saw wasn't enough to keep me from staying there.

What do ya'll think?
jjtmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #11
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtmom View Post
We are considering the Poly for August 5th-11th. I have weighed the pros and the cons to all the construction.... PROS -It's the POLYNESIAN -Access to monorail -We are doing Mk twice, O'hana's, Hoop-Dee-Doo, Epcot so all of that is very convenient to the Poly. -Access to GF Pool (is this true? I can't seem to find any confirmation) -Tickets to Blizzard Beach. CONS -Construction is no fun. -Not having a pool will be a hassle (I am assuming this isn't affecting quiet pool) -Captain Cook's may or may not be open. -More construction could be announced. -No fun pool activities for my Boys We were there last weekend and as of right now what I saw wasn't enough to keep me from staying there. What do ya'll think?
The quiet pool will not be affected at this time. You will get a one day complimentary pass to blizzard beach. If you do not want to go there you can also use the GF pool. Captain cooks is open but in a smaller form right now. The only different is no dole whips.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: