DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
itutorfortravel
I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addiction!

Resale vs direct

Can y'all tell me exactly what the restrictions are for using resale points vs points bought directly from Disney, and how big of a deal has that been for those who have run into these situations? With Rosales will I be able to book Aulani, Hilton Head, zero Beach, Etc?

Thanks!
itutorfortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Any DVC purchase made through Disney is a direct purchase without any restrictions.

By definition, a resale purchase is one made between a buyer and a member/seller (often with the assistance of a resale broker). These purchases do have limits where the points cannot be used for the Disney Collection (Disney Cruise, non-DVC resorts), Concierge Collection and Adventurer Collection.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
itutorfortravel
I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addiction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc View Post
Any DVC purchase made through Disney is a direct purchase without any restrictions.

By definition, a resale purchase is one made between a buyer and a member/seller (often with the assistance of a resale broker). These purchases do have limits where the points cannot be used for the Disney Collection (Disney Cruise, non-DVC resorts), Concierge Collection and Adventurer Collection.
Hi and thanks! What is Concierge Collection and Adventurer Collection?

Are Vero Beach, Hilton Head, and Aulani DVC and could I use resale points there?
itutorfortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by itutorfortravel View Post
Hi and thanks! What is Concierge Collection and Adventurer Collection?

Are Vero Beach, Hilton Head, and Aulani DVC and could I use resale points there?
Vero, Hilton Head and Aulani are DVC Resorts. Resale points currently may be used at all DVC Resorts.

Concierge Collection is a group of resorts with a relationship with DVC where DVC members may use points to stay there. There is also a $95 fee for each reservation made. Adventurer Collection is the Adventures by Disney program offering tours to locations all around the world. DVC points may be used for these tours - also with the $95 reservation fee.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
zavandor
DIS Veteran

Any of the exchange listed above are very costly on points.

For example, a 3 night cruise costs 77 points per person, in the lowest season, in ocean view room.

There are brokers who can rent your points with a minimal effort and risk, giving you $10 per point. For 154 points (two people) you could get easily $1540. Add the booking fee and it's over $1600.

The same cruise can be booked now for next February for $1100 without any discount on the website. Research a little for a good offer (book more in advance, book onboard on previous cruise...) and the difference will skyrocket.

Moreover, available places are very limited. And this is a perk that can be removed at any moment also for direct purchase.

That's the reason why people say it's not an efficient use of points.
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Ilyo
Happy DVC Member

Agreed. If you are buying DVC for DVC resorts, then it can be much cheaper to go resale. The best bang for your buck is DVC points for DVC resorts...if you want to use your points for a cruise, adventures by disney, etc...you are better off renting your points at $10/point and then using the cash!

Ilyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Disneypapa
OKW owner since 2002

I purchased resale about 7 years ago at a much cheaper price per point than Direct with Disney. So far, I have not encountered any problems booking DVC resorts. I like others have already stated would rent my points and pay cash, if and when booking a cruise.
Disneypapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: