Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Stop and Smell the Roses…But Watch Out for the Bees! July '12 It's a Wrap Folks! 2.23

Welcome to my latest (and questionably greatest!) Trip Report! If you have read any of my previous TRs then you may be a bit surprised by what you find unravel in this particular TR! I am obsessive when it comes to Disney and I tend to plan every single waking moment. My DH even comments on the times I write down and will ask when we have the bathroom breaks scheduled…. I’m not that bad! The times, I tell him, allows me to know if what I have planned is feasible!

On our trip last year we had plans that changed constantly and sometimes resulted in meltdowns. In March, I accompanied my daughter to WDW with her high school band. That trip was one which I had no planning to do at all…I just followed the crowd. I had just begun planning the July trip and I had marked many things down that were “must-dos”! As July inched closer and closer, the trials and tribulations that surrounded me over the last 4 months began to really drag me down and I knew that more than anything I really just needed a get-a-way that allowed me to enjoy life and my family. I believe in my PTR I even commented that I was making plans but that I may for-go everything…well guess what?! For the most part none of the plans I started with remained. Oh, some things were basically the same and some ADRs were kept while others were cancelled or changed. But overall, we simply went where the magic led us!

It was a relaxing trip and a balm for the soul! At one point DS18 made the comment that he had never seen me “like this”! LOL That came on Day 1 when we did a few things, Keith made a suggestion and I said “Whatever, as long as we make our ADR tonight!”. And that was basically how the whole trip went! But you must read on to see and believe—because seeing is believing and I have pictures to prove that we really did tour by the seat of our pants! All of this non-stressful touring could be a result of this being my 5th trip in 4 years so I don’t feel like we must do every little thing or we will be missing out. Whatever the reason, I highly suggest it! So now before I give away the entire TR, let me make some introductions!!

First, the when: July 7- July 14, 2012

Second, the where: Port Orleans French Quarter!

Third, the Who:

I will begin with my children! Well two of the three. We have one that left June 1st for Australia and is currently living the life of a young 23 year old with no obligations….nah, I am not jealous at all!!!

This is a picture of our three kiddos! Evan (left) is the one on the other side of the world, Madison is DD16 and Chris (right) is DS18.

Individual pictures of the kiddos:

Madison

Chris

That is from his senior portrait session....hard to believe how fast kids grow up!!

And then there is my DH—Keith (with me!!).

Keith has been (as I state quiet often) a Disney “hater” and basically refused to even consider going to Disney. He relented in 2010 when the kids wouldn’t stop talking about our March 2009 trip. He did recognize that Disney knows how to do things right and this has resulted in him tagging along in 2011 and suggesting this trip. I am by no means suggesting he is a Disney lover as I am but he has discovered a few things he really enjoys…and a few things he does not!!

Finally, we have me, Tisa…I love all things Disney and I get very giddy and overzealous when talking about WDW! I try really hard to not give more information to those who ask for advice and suggestions. Sometimes I fail miserably and have to reign my joy in to avoid freaking others out!! As I said this trip was a much needed break. I definitely found moments where I thought to myself that I wish I could bottle up the peace and break it open back home!

Along the way, I have some comments and tidbits from a book I had been reading and thought I would get some pictures and add a little something different into my TR. I have done several and in some ways, I feel like I just report the same old stuff. The book is :"The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World” by Susan Veness. Anytime I reference this book I will highlight it in blue since I want to be sure I am not taking credit for things I have not written! As I was reading this book over the last few weeks leading up to the trip, I learned and saw so much that really made me go “Wow!”. It adds a new appreciation to the magic and I highly recommend the book if you are interested in the little things. Since I chose to not lug the book with me into the parks, I didn’t get pictures of all of the things I was wowed by but I did capture some! So I hope you will enjoy that part of the TR…a little side trip if you will!!

Well, that is it for my intro…I guess that leads us to the next post: DEPARTURE DAY!!!

Last edited by TinksThree; 02-24-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Saved for Chapter links

Departure Day!!! 7.7.2012
Beach Club Resort and Cape May Clam Bake! 7.7.2012 Part 1 and Part 2 and Part 3
Checking In at Port Orleans French Quarter 7.8.2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Epcot: We have arrived!! 7.8.2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Epcot: Soarin', Changes Begin and Watch Out For The Bees!!!
Epcot: Via Napoli and then what?! 7.8.2012 Part 1 and Part 2
DHS: Indiana Jones!!! 7.8.2012 Part 1 and Part 2
DHS: "Save the People!!!" and 'Ohana: Thumbs up or Thumbs down?! 7.8.2012
An evening not as I had planned....7.8.2012 Part 1 and Part 2
How free can a "free" day be? Come take a walk with me!!...7.9.2012 Part 1 and Part 2 and Part 3
A free afternoon...What to do??? 7.9.2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Oh, Hoop Dee Doo....How we love you!!! 7.9.2012 Part 1 and Part 2 and Part 3 and Part 4
Day 3 begins at Hollywood Studios!!...7.10.2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Day 3 continues with lunch at Sci-Fi and then what!?!?!?! 7.10.2012
Midday at Animal Kingdom in Mid-July! Part 1 and Part 2 and Part 3
Day 3: Epcot-Garden Grill, Illuminations and Evening EMH!! 7.10.2012 Part 1 and Part 2 and Part 3 and Part 4
Day 4: Typhoon Lagoon!! July 11, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Day 4: Downtown Disney and T-Rex July 11, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Day 5: An EMH morning at Magic Kingdom! July 12, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Day 5: Continuing the Morning EMH at Magic Kingdom! July 12, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Day 5: Wrapping up my only 3 1/2 hours at Magic Kingdom! July 12, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Day 5: Blizzard Beach!! July 12, 2012
Day 5: Keith gets to choose supper!!! 50's Primetime Cafe July 12, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Day 5: Hollywood Studios continues as we end the day!!! July 12, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Day 6: Our final day begins! Animal Kingdom!!! July 13, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Day 6: Our Final Day Part Two!! Epcot!!! July 13, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2 and Part 3
Day 6: Our Final Day Part Three!! Hollywood Studios!!! July 13, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Day 6: Our Final Day Dinner at Kona Cafe!!! July 13, 2012
Day 6: Our final day Closing out the day (and the trip) at Magic Kingdom! July 13, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Day 7: Departure Day...the long road home. July 14, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
A Bonus Trip at Christmas Time! The Resort! All-Star Music! November 26-30, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
A Bonus Trip at Christmas Time! MVMCP!! November 27, 2012 Part 1 and Part 2
Finishing up MVMCP with a Parade, Fireworks and fun!! Part 1 and Part 2 and Part 3 and Part 4 and Part 5
The Final Wrap-up...Thanks for Reading!!!!

Last edited by TinksThree; 02-24-2013 at 08:33 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Here!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Signing in!

I'm so excited to hear about y'alls trip! Maybe I'll learn a thing or two about slowing down!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Joining in! I can't wait to hear all about it!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Signing in!

I'm so excited to hear about y'alls trip! Maybe I'll learn a thing or two about slowing down!
Welcome!!! Slowing down was really a great way to tour! And a lot of it was slowing down on the planning and going by the seat of our pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Joining in! I can't wait to hear all about it!
Welcome!!! I am so glad you are reading along again!!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Yea! It's started!! You knew I'd be here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
I am obsessive when it comes to Disney and I tend to plan every single waking moment. My DH even comments on the times I write down and will ask when we have the bathroom breaks scheduled….
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
For the most part none of the plans I started with remained. Oh, some things were basically the same and some ADRs were kept while others were cancelled or changed. But overall, we simply went where the magic led us!
As you know from my last trip report, our most recent trip had almost no planning other than where we would go each day and even that was interrupted. I'll admit that there is SOME value in going where the mood takes you (DO NOT tell DW I said that!! ) but it just seems that you get more done if you at least have an idea of where you're going and what you'll be doing! Maybe it's just me?

I'm looking forward to your TR. I'll be taking notes on non-planning vacations; not that I'll remember them on our next trip though!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Yea!! Was waiting for this!! So sorry your trip is over - they go so doggone fast! But happy to read all about it here!
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages
Old 07-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Yea! It's started!! You knew I'd be here!!!

I knew you would be here!! Welcome!!! I don't know that mine will move as quickly as yours did though!

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this!

I'm glad someone agrees with me!!

As you know from my last trip report, our most recent trip had almost no planning other than where we would go each day and even that was interrupted. I'll admit that there is SOME value in going where the mood takes you (DO NOT tell DW I said that!! ) but it just seems that you get more done if you at least have an idea of where you're going and what you'll be doing! Maybe it's just me?

I'm looking forward to your TR. I'll be taking notes on non-planning vacations; not that I'll remember them on our next trip though!
My lips will be sealed and DW will never know! I totally agree about the planning and past experiences resulting in missing out on things are probably what shapd me into the mega planner I am! In actuality I missed out on many, many things I had really wanted to do. But in the end, for this trip at least, this slow down, following our moods touring was what I needed and in the end missing those things wasn't as huge of a disappointment as it could have been!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Yea!! Was waiting for this!! So sorry your trip is over - they go so doggone fast! But happy to read all about it here!
Hooray! Glad you found the TR! Why do trips have to go so fast!?!? Keith and I were talking last night how this time last week the trip was half-way over and now here we are a week later! Everything moves way too doggone fast!! I am glad I can relive the trip through the TR!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I can't wait to hear all about it!

Jill in CO
Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
mermaid764
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

I fell terribly behind on your last TR and I'm glad i'm able to catch this one right from the start

Old 07-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I can't wait to hear all about it!

Jill in CO
Welcome!!!! Hopefully soon you will get an update!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid764 View Post
I'm here!

I fell terribly behind on your last TR and I'm glad i'm able to catch this one right from the start
Welcome!! I tend to move slowly so hopefully you will not fall behind on this one! I know how it is though because I have fallen behind on several I am reading right now!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
SummerInDisney
Earning My Ears

Well since I pretty much stalked all of your other trip reports I thought I would join in on this one Can't wait for the updates!!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
NCDisneyMom
DIS Cast Member
That's me... a sympathy crier
I am a closet Saved By The Bell fan

We were there the same week you were, and also staying at POFQ! Can't wait to read your report (and maybe see if we pop up in the background of any of your photos)!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: