Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #31
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=ktlm;47133872] Of course the main girl that told her that is the one that when I went to the class Halloween party was dressed as an NBA cheerleader, in tight gold lame booty shorts, an extremely tight shirt, high heeled white boots, and heavy make-up. I just about choked when I saw her. I think it is what I refer to as "older sister syndrome". Let's just say that while she is beautiful and may be a perfectly nice girl, I'm not sorry they aren't close friends. I don't want DD to grow up too fast, which appears to be that kid's track. Sounds like she is gearing up to be the type of girl that you are dealing with wanting to control your daugther.

[/QUOTE
]

I would have to see a picture to judge, but from a mom whose 4th grade daughter lives in sports bras and spanks (spandex) I wouldn't be judging her outfit unless I knew more of why she choose it. For halloween we ended up going to our friends party as Alice in Wonderland (daughter), Mad Hatter (DH), and the White Rabbit (Me, in white spandex jeans, white frilly tux style shirt, and short red tux ladies jacket, with ears) however, DD first choice may have been similar to what you saw.

She and her friends wanted to be "F5" cheerleaders. You can google image search "F5 cheerleader" to see pictures of their outfits. One of the moms has a bling machine that they were going to bling F5 on sports bras to wear with their black nike pro's. These are highly talented and respected girls in the cheerleading world. Anyone who knows about cheerleading would recognize F5. One of her friends mom is a former Tampa Bay Bucs cheerleaders. Actually we know quite a few former cheerleaders who are now moms with cheerleader daughters. We are also close with a WNBA player's mom. Perhaps this girl had a connection to a NBA cheerleader she respects. My daughter has been cheering since she was three.

Last edited by 4kids4karen; 01-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #32
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
No, I don't think that is how the pregnancy pact started. As a former teen mom, I actually find the statement ridiculous.
I wasn't part of the pregnancy pact, nor do I personally know anyone who was, so I don't know how it was started. I was referring to pack mentality. I was married at 19. I have people in my life I love very much that became pregnant as teens. I did not mean to offend anyone. But if someone does something that would affect their lives as drastically as becoming a parent does, just to be included in a pact? I'm sorry, my opinion is THAT is ridiculous.

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #33
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

actually the pregnancy pact was an urban legend.

http://www.alternet.org/story/89693/...n_urban_legend

My DD now 16 came home from school in 1st grade and told me she no longer wanted to wear cute clothes to school, she wanted to look cool, so I no longer bought her the matchy, match clothes I use to buy her and started buying her the cooler clothes like jeans and tee shirts the other girls at school were wearing. Its not about the other kids being a bully as much as our kids wanting to fit in. When my oldest DS who is 30 was in grade school, he wanted to light-up shoes like the other kids were wearing at the time because that was what was popular.

Heck, I am in my mid 50's and I remember when the girls at school told me only babies wore ankle socks and I needed to tell my mom to buy me knee socks! This is nothing new, its just the styles that are different.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #34
Deesknee

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
actually the pregnancy pact was an urban legend.

http://www.alternet.org/story/89693/...n_urban_legend

My DD now 16 came home from school in 1st grade and told me she no longer wanted to wear cute clothes to school, she wanted to look cool, so I no longer bought her the matchy, match clothes I use to buy her and started buying her the cooler clothes like jeans and tee shirts the other girls at school were wearing. Its not about the other kids being a bully as much as our kids wanting to fit in. When my oldest DS who is 30 was in grade school, he wanted to light-up shoes like the other kids were wearing at the time because that was what was popular.

Heck, I am in my mid 50's and I remember when the girls at school told me only babies wore ankle socks and I needed to tell my mom to buy me knee socks! This is nothing new, its just the styles that are different.
I don't know if there was an actual pact or not. But, there were a lot of girls within the same group that got pregnant in a small time frame. That is why they began to question it. It was on the news constantly when they were "investigating" it. Honestly, I never felt it needed to be nightly news, and I didn't think a movie was a smart idea, hence why I never watched it. I don't think anyone other than the girls will ever know if it there was any type of pact. I do know we are all affected by peer pressure in one respect or another. Advertising being one of the largest culprits.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #35
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

I'd like these little popular girls to say being/ or wearing princess items is for babies to Kate Middleon, you know a princess.

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #36
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesknee View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. DD is a young 4th grader. She loves everything Disney including the princesses. The problem is some of the other girls have informed her she shouldn't wear anything princess if she wants to "be popular". DD says she will be true to herself, but does agree she is too old to wear Princess stuff. She says tink & friends & mickey and friends are okay. Anyone else have this type of issue?
I am sorry your DD has to deal with this. My 4th grader had it in 2nd grade but even now she will wear her Disney stuff (to include Princess seatshirts) to school as she does not think it is babyish nor does she feel the need to be popular . It is amazing how cruel some kids ca be. Of course there are some adults than can affect a child's choice on clothing as well.

Last year my daughter's teacher made a comment about her dressmaking her look like a Hippie. She had on the long Brown skirt from Gymboree with a horse shirt. My daughter would not wear that shirt to school again. That made me mad but I let it go for my daughter.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #37
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxYates View Post
This stinks! I'm sorry this is happening to your DD. My DD is almost 7 and has difficulties with kids teasing her about her glasses or not wearing Justice clothes (not age appropriate for my child) - she has to go to therapy sometimes because it causes horrible anxiety. kids are just mean and there is not much you can do other than get her involved with girls that are like-minded and encouraging. We are trying girl scouts this year.
I'm sorry your DD is going through being teased. Have you tried talking to the school?? Please understand that girl scouts in not necessarily the answer. I know there are some girl scouts I don't want my child around as what they learn and how they behave are not appropriate. And I am not bashing girl scouts but there are some troops that I just don't feel fall in the girl scouts idea but there is not as much monitoring.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #38
Deesknee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen2PrincessG View Post
I'd like these little popular girls to say being/ or wearing princess items is for babies to Kate Middleon, you know a princess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leajess99 View Post
I am sorry your DD has to deal with this. My 4th grader had it in 2nd grade but even now she will wear her Disney stuff (to include Princess seatshirts) to school as she does not think it is babyish nor does she feel the need to be popular . It is amazing how cruel some kids ca be. Of course there are some adults than can affect a child's choice on clothing as well.

Last year my daughter's teacher made a comment about her dressmaking her look like a Hippie. She had on the long Brown skirt from Gymboree with a horse shirt. My daughter would not wear that shirt to school again. That made me mad but I let it go for my daughter.
This is very sad. Teachers should know better. Maybe she meant it as a compliment.
DD had a tutor that was trying to explain the difference between fiction and nonfiction and decided to use the Disney characters as an example of fiction! I WAS NOT happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leajess99 View Post
I'm sorry your DD is going through being teased. Have you tried talking to the school?? Please understand that girl scouts in not necessarily the answer. I know there are some girl scouts I don't want my child around as what they learn and how they behave are not appropriate. And I am not bashing girl scouts but there are some troops that I just don't feel fall in the girl scouts idea but there is not as much monitoring.
I won't talk to the school about this. This is a small concern. We've dealt with real bullying that we had to go to the school about when my son was in middle school. DD is fine now. She told the girl yesterday, that she didn't want to be popular if it meant she had to change. The girl simply said.... okay. Hopefully, it won't become an issue later. DD wore her Perry the Platerpus shirt today. Also, I agree about scouts. My 9 year old is in a great troop, but when my older DD was in scouts, we actually withdrew her from 1 troop and put her in another. It was actually Daisies, the younger kids. We walked in one day to pick her up & the girls were standing on round tables jumping from one to another while the 2 troop leaders were standing by talking about the previous nights.... adventures. Not the conversation I wanted my little girl to be hearing. Not every troop is a good fit for every child. We just said the day or time wasn't good for us. She ended up in an okay troop. The one youngest is in is wonderful troop. If done properly, it is a wonderful organization. You could always volunteer and be the troop leader yourself. DH was my boys scout leader for a few years. It is a nice memory. Although, I have to admit, DH was very happy when the boys didn't want to be boy scouts anymore. It was very time consuming and DH didn't have the tolerance for some of the boys behavior. Actually, more like he didn't have the tolerance for some of the parents allowing the boys behavior with t he explanation, that "boys will be boys".

Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #39
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen2PrincessG View Post
Yeah, because Kate Middleton dresses in poofy sparklie dresses and carries a wand... I would like my girls to emulate her - Disney princesses, no thank you!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #40
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

DD had a tutor that was trying to explain the difference between fiction and nonfiction and decided to use the Disney characters as an example of fiction! I WAS NOT happy!

[/QUOTE]

Um, but they are fictional characters? Hate to break it to you, but Fairy Tales are fake. I think most elementary school students get that. Same with Spongebob.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #41
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
[ I would have to see a picture to judge, but from a mom whose 4th grade daughter lives in sports bras and spanks (spandex) I wouldn't be judging her outfit unless I knew more of why she choose it. For halloween we ended up going to our friends party as Alice in Wonderland (daughter), Mad Hatter (DH), and the White Rabbit (Me, in white spandex jeans, white frilly tux style shirt, and short red tux ladies jacket, with ears) however, DD first choice may have been similar to what you saw.

She and her friends wanted to be "F5" cheerleaders. You can google image search "F5 cheerleader" to see pictures of their outfits. One of the moms has a bling machine that they were going to bling F5 on sports bras to wear with their black nike pro's. These are highly talented and respected girls in the cheerleading world. Anyone who knows about cheerleading would recognize F5. One of her friends mom is a former Tampa Bay Bucs cheerleaders. Actually we know quite a few former cheerleaders who are now moms with cheerleader daughters. We are also close with a WNBA player's mom. Perhaps this girl had a connection to a NBA cheerleader she respects. My daughter has been cheering since she was three.
Sorry, I really didn't mean to offend any cheerleading Moms. My DD has been in dance since she was 2, and also does singing and theatre performances on stage so there have been times that she has been in some grown up looking dresses as costumes. I know kind of skimpy costumes are pretty much the norm for kids in cheer and dance competitions nowadays. This was something a bit different, especially when you are talking about a 6 year old. Google images of Thunder girls and you will get an idea. She did not have her stomach showing and the tiny shorts and tight shirt themselves with tennis shoes and maybe a ponytail probably would have been fine, but when they were put together with white patent knee high, high heeled boots, heavy make-up and teased hair on a 6 year old at a 1st grade classroom party/full day at school (not at a dance/cheer class or performance) it was a little surprising. It was one of those things that caused a lot of Moms in the class and in the hall to do a double take, and kind of look at each other with big wide surprised eyes. I'm not even saying it was wrong. I'm just saying based on that and other things, it looks like that kid is trying to grow up too fast, and I'm glad my daughter isn't following the same path. Even though I'm sure she probably said it because her older sisters have done it to her, I also don't like that she was trying to tell my daughter what she should and shouldn't like and that she was a baby if she liked certain things.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #42
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

Oh, I am soooo glad for our school uniforms right now. My DDs are in 4th and 2nd grades. The 4th grader prefers to dress in what some would probably consider a "younger" or immature style. She is a VERY girly-girl and loves dresses, skirts, and anything pink(the color, not the VS line). For a long time, she wouldn't wear any kind of pants, except leggings under dresses. Now she will wear fleece pants, but she HATES jeans. She definitely is secure in what she likes, but I wonder if it would be different if she was wearing pink skirts and Disney shirts to school while the rest of the girls were wearing skinny jeans and Aero/Hollister/AE/whatever shirts.

OP-- hugs to your DD. I think her response about talking to the girls then going to the back of the line is fantastic!
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #43
Deesknee

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohfriend77 View Post
Oh, I am soooo glad for our school uniforms right now. My DDs are in 4th and 2nd grades. The 4th grader prefers to dress in what some would probably consider a "younger" or immature style. She is a VERY girly-girl and loves dresses, skirts, and anything pink(the color, not the VS line). For a long time, she wouldn't wear any kind of pants, except leggings under dresses. Now she will wear fleece pants, but she HATES jeans. She definitely is secure in what she likes, but I wonder if it would be different if she was wearing pink skirts and Disney shirts to school while the rest of the girls were wearing skinny jeans and Aero/Hollister/AE/whatever shirts.

OP-- hugs to your DD. I think her response about talking to the girls then going to the back of the line is fantastic!
Thank you. I am proud she handled it. She actually sounds alot like your DD. that likes the dresses, pink, etc. My DD has finally found a pair of jeans she actually likes. She had a pair years ago that had princess' on them. She liked those, but obviously out grew them. I have bought her all types of jeans and she hates them. She has rather large thighs, for her size. I think that might be why. She seems to hate the way jeans fit on her thighs.
I'm curios to see how she makes out today wearing her Perry the Platypus shirt. We will see.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #44
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Wow Deesknee and Poohfriend77, mine sounds just like your two. She's only in first grade, but she only likes dresses or tops and skirts. Leggings or bike shorts under dresses are about the only pants she will wear. She hates jeans, and doesn't really care for pants either. She has a couple pairs of pants, but I think she has worn them maybe twice this whole school year. She also likes to wear bright colors (lots of pink, purples and blues), none of the muted stuff you find in the stores in a lot of places and that a lot of kids are wearing. Deesknee what kind of jeans did you find your daughter will wear? My DD thought she wanted some for school at the beginning of the year, but when she went and tried some pairs on, she remembered why she hated them and decided no way!
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #45
Deesknee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm View Post
Wow Deesknee and Poohfriend77, mine sounds just like your two. She's only in first grade, but she only likes dresses or tops and skirts. Leggings or bike shorts under dresses are about the only pants she will wear. She hates jeans, and doesn't really care for pants either. She has a couple pairs of pants, but I think she has worn them maybe twice this whole school year. She also likes to wear bright colors (lots of pink, purples and blues), none of the muted stuff you find in the stores in a lot of places and that a lot of kids are wearing. Deesknee what kind of jeans did you find your daughter will wear? My DD thought she wanted some for school at the beginning of the year, but when she went and tried some pairs on, she remembered why she hated them and decided no way!
We got them from Target. I think the brand name is Circo. She hated them when she first put them on, but I made her wear them 1 entire day. She came home from school and loved them. They are the type that the longer you wear them they sort of stretch out. They are the only type she enjoys wearing. And even though she knows they will feel better as the day goes on, she still complains when she first puts them on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: