Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
DIS2014fullmarathon
Earning My Ears

Disney with 2.5-3 year olds and or twins

Has anyone on this board been to Disneywold with twins (boys) that are 2.5 to 3 years old and can tell me about your experience? I am looking for advice on how your twins handled the overall trip. Naps, food, rides you rode outside of fantasyland etc. and feel free to add whatever else you want.

Last edited by DIS2014fullmarathon; 01-09-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Chage title
DIS2014fullmarathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

We took our twin boys two weeks after their second birthday and again when they were 3.5. Both times, we did rope drop, then had lunch in the park, and then went back to the resort for a nap. Then went back to the parks for dinner, and did a ride or two and were back for bedtime-ish (8:00). Since we did rope drop, the parks weren't crowded, and we were able to get in a lot of rides easily and quickly. The boys handled it all really well. I think our very last day of our first trip, we stayed longer past lunch since we were getting on the road and they started melting down as we were leaving, but that was about it! At 3.5, they were almost too wired from the day to go down for a nap, so they rarely slept. It was easier when they were younger to be honest!!

They loved the Nemo ride in Epcot, most everything in MK (age appropriate of course, no Haunted Mansion or Snow White's scary adventures, although that's not there now anyways!) Really, they enjoyed just about everything that they were tall and old enough for. THe characters were a hit, although one took longer to warm up than the other.

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
quandrea
DIS Veteran

We have twins 3 years and 3 months. We've been down to WDW when they were 3 months, 1 year, 15 months, 18 months, 2 years, 2 years 3 months, 3 and we are heading down in three weeks.

Every trip has been different. Our last trip was great. While they both still nap, we did not make them on holiday. I found this helped with getting them both to bed at their usual bedtime. We've had trouble with my son on holiday in the past and not sleeping. If they fell asleep in the car for a bit or in the stroller, that was all they needed.

I did find on the last trip that we had to do less park time than in previous trips. Park time entails a lot of structure. They needed time to just run and swim and let loose. We usually were at rope drop and would spend a couple of hours in the morning. We might return for a couple of hours in the evening. We made sure to have free days with no parks as well as a morning or two where we didn't rush out the door.

Less sturcture was important. It kept everyone's moods in a better place.

We also did fewer sit down meals this last trip. Again, it's hard on them. They did well with a few, but not daily.

They loved the pool time and time running around at DTD. While they enjoyed rides, I don't think they meant much to them. Not going on any rides wouldn't have phased them, while not going swimming would have been a tragedy. They loved exploring the hotel and having the freedom to walk around.

So all in all, it was a very different trip. Fewer rides, but still lots of fun.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
starsweeper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel on Land View Post
We took our twin boys two weeks after their second birthday and again when they were 3.5. Both times, we did rope drop, then had lunch in the park, and then went back to the resort for a nap. Then went back to the parks for dinner, and did a ride or two and were back for bedtime-ish (8:00). Since we did rope drop, the parks weren't crowded, and we were able to get in a lot of rides easily and quickly. The boys handled it all really well. I think our very last day of our first trip, we stayed longer past lunch since we were getting on the road and they started melting down as we were leaving, but that was about it! At 3.5, they were almost too wired from the day to go down for a nap, so they rarely slept. It was easier when they were younger to be honest!!

They loved the Nemo ride in Epcot, most everything in MK (age appropriate of course, no Haunted Mansion or Snow White's scary adventures, although that's not there now anyways!) Really, they enjoyed just about everything that they were tall and old enough for. THe characters were a hit, although one took longer to warm up than the other.
I have virtual twins (boy and girl 10 weeks apart by adoption). We took them at 2.5yo and 3.5yo. Our experience was very similar to the above post.

Disney Vacations:
Aug79 - PR, Apr85 - Golf Resort, Apr88/Apr91 - Offsite, Jun97 - Offsite (Mom & me), Nov06 - CBR (DH & me - F&W), Feb09 - PCR (1st w/kids), May10 - Mariott OWC (Mom & Kids - F&GF), Oct13 - PR (1st w/4 kids - MNSSHP), Oct14 - GF (MNSSHP)

Other Family Vacations:
Jun13 - Outer Banks NC, Jun15 - Yellowstone/Grand Teton Parks
starsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Irishgrl
Mouseketeer

I have a singleton that was just shy of 2.5 when we went last year and he did great and was able to ride so many things including the haunted mansion. He napped in the stroller every day no problem and would even ask for his lovely when he was ready. The only time we had a melt down was the last night there he was over tired and done at that point we had spend 6 days in the park so I couldn't complain. We leave next Saturday for and he will be 3 years and 3 months for this trip.

Here are the things I recommend:

If you are doing a TS than do it early like lunch or early dinner.
If you don't thik they are going to like something where your going feed them first and bring a treat for them to eat while you are.
If Lo can't fall asleep try a calming ride like it's a small world or people movers.
Be flexible and don't try to see it all.
Stop and visit the playgrounds or just let them run around for fun.
Irishgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
DIS2014fullmarathon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgrl View Post
I have a singleton that was just shy of 2.5 when we went last year and he did great and was able to ride so many things including the haunted mansion. He napped in the stroller every day no problem and would even ask for his lovely when he was ready. The only time we had a melt down was the last night there he was over tired and done at that point we had spend 6 days in the park so I couldn't complain. We leave next Saturday for and he will be 3 years and 3 months for this trip.

Here are the things I recommend:

If you are doing a TS than do it early like lunch or early dinner.
If you don't thik they are going to like something where your going feed them first and bring a treat for them to eat while you are.
If Lo can't fall asleep try a calming ride like it's a small world or people movers.
Be flexible and don't try to see it all.
Stop and visit the playgrounds or just let them run around for fun.
Thank all for the responses.. What is a TS though?
DIS2014fullmarathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
nat8199
Mouseketeer

My boys will be 2.5 when we go in October and their sister will be turning 4. We plan on getting to RD (even doing dining before) and then staying at the park until 4-5pm. Our kids go to bed very early, so they will be in bed by 6pm. We plan on doing stroller naps as well as a TS lunch to help them relax. We also plan on taking things VERY EASY. Our trip will not be a pack-in-everything-we-can-trip, but rather a have-fun-and-smell-the-roses-we-will-do-everything-we-miss-when-they-are-older-trip.

Too many pre-family to count!

Me - 32 DH - 34 DD - 4 DS - 3 DS - 3
nat8199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

What parks have playgrounds? I know that AK has a dig site, but who else has one? This is my first trip going with a LO

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Wanna be Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Belle74
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIS2014fullmarathon View Post
Thank all for the responses.. What is a TS though?
guessing TS = Table Service...
Belle74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

It's been a while since we took multiple toddlers, and there were 3 adults with 3 toddlers. I agree with afternoon breaks. We would usually go in the pool for a little while then up to the room where they would nap for a little while. The youngest we took them was 3 1/2 yrs. We stayed at a monorail resort, so that made it easier. As far as ride went, like a pp said, they liked everything they could go on. Mine even liked the haunted mansion. We just played a game and pretended to scare the ghost. We did distract them so as not to see the hanging in the hall. One of our favorite rides when they were little was the Great Movie Ride in (what was then) MGM (now Disney Hollywood Studios). We still have very special memories of that ride, strictly due to the fact our first time they were so young & everything was real. Like Mary Poppins.
Have a wonderful trip! Also, worth noting, we went during a slow season.

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

We have been 6 times with our twin boys from the age of 18 months to one month from age 3. I will let you know what worked for us but as you know, they're all different.

Make sure you have a good stroller. Something with a good recline and good canopy coverage. If you don't have one I would rent a citi mini double from an offsite company. I wouldn't even consider renting one from the parks. Our boys napped at off times during their trips and never together. But they usually napped in their stroller. For our trips during the warmer months we have fans that clip on to the strollers to help with the heat.

Bring whatever cup they are used to drinking out of. Mine still use sippies and we bought some straps off of amazon to secure them to the stroller. Also bring at least one full change of clothes for each and if they still use diapers bring plenty. During the warm months my boys drank so much water we had to change them much more frequently than what we were used to. Also snacks like goldfish and other finger foods were helpful when they didn't want to eat or to get us through waiting in line.

Getting to the parks early is key. You can get so much done with less wait times. I have had incredible luck using the park recommendations on easywdw.com. Has made big differences in our wait times. As far as parks, our boys seem to enjoy MK the most, obviously. They enjoyed most of the rides in fantasyland but also loved the people mover this is a great ride for naps, they will let you keep going over and over again), the train, and the jungle cruise.

We also spend a lot of time in Epcot with the boys. I have a HUGE Nemo lover so we usually ride it several times, see turtle talk with crush, and spend a good bit of time in the aquarium. They like the imagination ride and for some reason they love living with the land. They also enjoy spaceship earth and the Mexican boat ride. We have had some good times as well in the world showcase. They enjoyed the shows such as the acrobats in china, the drummers in Japan, and we have had the best luck seeing characters with little to no wait here. Pooh with no wait in the UK pavilion, in the American pavilion we have lucked out and seen the fab five and other less popular characters (Louie from the jungle book).

As far as DHS and AK, my boys don't spend much time here. DHS just doesn't have much to do for them and they get scared on the great movie ride (the alien scene, the gangster scene). We do toy story but mine were still a bit immature for it. Mine are too immature to have the patience to sit through shows either here or at AK, your might be different. At AK they do enjoy the safari and the triceratops spin. We look at the animals but to be honest, we have a good zoo close to home so they just don't get excited. Both parks for us are half day.

Things that don't work well for us are table service meals and going to take naps at the resort. We can get away with eating a table service breakfast but anything later is too much. We do better with eating counter service when we are all ready to eat, not when I think we will be months ahead of time. Also, every time we have tried to go back to the hotel and nap it has been a disaster. They are usually to wound up and it just doesn't work well. We usually let them nap in the stroller and then if we want to break from the parks (which we usually do) we go back and swim. It is just what works for us.

We try not to be too structured, go with the flow some, stop and let the boys run off some energy in the playgrounds (all the parks have them). Sometimes we ride things a lot (Nemo and the carousel) because that's what they want to do. Makes for an easier trip.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
ampc3
DIS Veteran

every child is so different with their experiences etc.... We were planning on taking our twins (boys 4) this summer for their first trip... but we have such a big family and will cost us so much more $$ than the last time we all went as a family (before they were born)

That we have sadly decided to wait until next summer when they will be 5... They do not nap anymore and are ALL BOY lol we are Hoping (fingers crossed) that they will have "matured" alittle and will do better over all by waiting a year...
It was a very hard decision for us to make as our other kids can't wait to get back..

Just be FLEXIABLE and let them set the pace at times.
Good luck in your planning and trip!
there is a play area over by splash Mt that is nice b/c it is covered.

lots of trips as a kid ...
Feb 20-22 2005 Asmov (left little one behind)
June 8-16 2008~POR (first whole family trip)
Sep 18-20 2009~POP~ mommy and DD6 bday trip
June 6-8 2010~POR~ GAD trip with Ds,YDd ,sister and nephew
May 2014 for the twins first trip.. first offsite WBC
ampc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: