Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #31
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal
911 is for emergencies.

"I need to fill out paperwork for my insurance company" is not an emergency.

911 lines are overloaded to the point that people sometimes have to wait. People who cannot breathe - 20 seconds can make all the difference in the world to these people.

Clogging 911 lines with bullcookies is a rotten thing to do.

Heart attacks, choking, strangers breaking into your house...those things are emergencies. "Someone stole stuff from my car" is the kind of thing that can wait while you call 411 for the non-emergency number to the police department.

Whoever told them that they shouldn't have called 911 was correct.
While in theory your right but at Disney most people are tourist so their not going to know the non emergency number. Their going to panic and their going to use the number they know. Ocso spokes person said that anyone who is a victim of a crime should call 911 are you saying Orange County sheriff department is wrong since they are the ones who respond to calls. Your car getting broken into and a gun is one of the items missing it more then Disney security can handle. Their a difference between calling 911 for a crime which is what a broken in car is and calling for no reason. If you call 911 because Disney ran out of popcorn is a miss use of the 911 system.

Like I said before in Disney world you call 911 you get the reedy creek emergency center they ask you police fire or medical then they connect you to you to proper place.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #32
butterflies114
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
911 is for emergencies.

"I need to fill out paperwork for my insurance company" is not an emergency.

911 lines are overloaded to the point that people sometimes have to wait. People who cannot breathe - 20 seconds can make all the difference in the world to these people.

Clogging 911 lines with bullcookies is a rotten thing to do.

Heart attacks, choking, strangers breaking into your house...those things are emergencies. "Someone stole stuff from my car" is the kind of thing that can wait while you call 411 for the non-emergency number to the police department.

The reason we have 911 is so that:
1) people can remember the emergency number
2) emergency calls can be given priority and jump to the head of the line, saving seconds for people to whom seconds means the difference between life and death

Whoever told them that they shouldn't have called 911 was correct.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me DH DS (7) DS (4)

All Star Movies Feb 2011 - 5 days not enough
POP Feb 2012 - 10 days not enough

Planning DCL and BCV for 2014
butterflies114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #33
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
While in theory your right but at Disney most people are tourist so their not going to know the non emergency number. Their going to panic and their going to use the number they know. Ocso spokes person said that anyone who is a victim of a crime should call 911 are you saying Orange County sheriff department is wrong since they are the ones who respond to calls. Your car getting broken into and a gun is one of the items missing it more then Disney security can handle. Their a difference between calling 911 for a crime which is what a broken in car is and calling for no reason. If you call 911 because Disney ran out of popcorn is a miss use of the 911 system.

Like I said before in Disney world you call 911 you get the reedy creek emergency center they ask you police fire or medical then they connect you to you to proper place.
You wouldn't call 911. You call the operator and ask for the local police. These people were not in trouble. Their GPS and Christmas gifts were stolen, and their gun is on the street due to their negligence.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #34
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

I just love how everyone saying not to call 911 when ocso says you should. 911 in Disney world dose not connect you to the ocso directly so your not clogging it up. When you tell them what happens then they send you an officer and tell them they don't have to respond with lights and sirens.

A lot of people don't like to admit their wrong I have no problem to admit when I am wrong but I am not wrong.


Okay so what the non emergency non for ocso if you say you shouldn't call 911. You all must travel with it just in case something happens.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #35
kaligal
DIS Veteran
 
kaligal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
While in theory your right but at Disney most people are tourist so their not going to know the non emergency number. Their going to panic and their going to use the number they know. Ocso spokes person said that anyone who is a victim of a crime should call 911 are you saying Orange County sheriff department is wrong since they are the ones who respond to calls. Your car getting broken into and a gun is one of the items missing it more then Disney security can handle. Their a difference between calling 911 for a crime which is what a broken in car is and calling for no reason. If you call 911 because Disney ran out of popcorn is a miss use of the 911 system.

Like I said before in Disney world you call 911 you get the reedy creek emergency center they ask you police fire or medical then they connect you to you to proper place.
i am sorry, but nobody with a TRUE emergency should have to wait while stupid calls clog up the lines. Honestly, Disney running out of popcorn isn't much less important than someone having to fill out paperwork, when it comes to the Life & Death scale.

If someone has to die because you panic when finding your car was burgled or Disney ran out of popcorn or the sky is too blue, it is a mistake on your end and you ought to be told not to clog the emergency lines.

Orange County was having 911 collapses. nobody could get through. If they are now telling everyone to call it for non-emergencies, they are not only stupid to the point of heartless, they are setting themselves up for lawsuits when people who have true emergencies die because they couldn't get through.

It is a stance Orange County might wish to re-think, if they are, indeed, telling people to use 911 for non-emergency calls.
__________________
Yes, your kids will have fun at Uni and Epcot!
ALWAYS pee before riding the monorail!
MNSSHP > MVMCP
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #36
kaligal
DIS Veteran
 
kaligal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
I just love how everyone saying not to call 911 when ocso says you should. 911 in Disney world dose not connect you to the ocso directly so your not clogging it up. When you tell them what happens then they send you an officer and tell them they don't have to respond with lights and sirens.

A lot of people don't like to admit their wrong I have no problem to admit when I am wrong but I am not wrong.


Okay so what the non emergency non for ocso if you say you shouldn't call 911. You all must travel with it just in case something happens.
I need not travel with it. I can call 411. It isn't even more numbers than 911.

If you think that other people should die because you cannot be bothered to press 4 instead of 9, that is your choice. I would say it is not only wrong, but arrogantly and abhorrently so.

I guess I have nothing left to say.
__________________
Yes, your kids will have fun at Uni and Epcot!
ALWAYS pee before riding the monorail!
MNSSHP > MVMCP
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #37
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal
i am sorry, but nobody with a TRUE emergency should have to wait while stupid calls clog up the lines. Honestly, Disney running out of popcorn isn't much less important than someone having to fill out paperwork, when it comes to the Life & Death scale.

If someone has to die because you panic when finding your car was burgled or Disney ran out of popcorn or the sky is too blue, it is a mistake on your end and you ought to be told not to clog the emergency lines.

Orange County was having 911 collapses. nobody could get through. If they are now telling everyone to call it for non-emergencies, they are not only stupid to the point of heartless, they are setting themselves up for lawsuits when people who have true emergencies die because they couldn't get through.

It is a stance Orange County might wish to re-think, if they are, indeed, telling people to use 911 for non-emergency calls.
While I understand what your saying and in principle agree with you that you shouldn't call 911 for non emergencies but getting your car broken into is an emergency may be not as much as life and death but still an emergency. What an average tourist going to do besides waiting for Disney security which they claim took 35 min to do they may no have the non emergency number or acces to the Internet to locate it. So for them it is an emergency and ocso has a Disney substation and when you call they are responding so your not taking resource off the street so that why they are okay with calling 911 for car break ins because with Disney being so large they may be able to catch the, or get them on not id that they are their and better leave.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #38
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal

I need not travel with it. I can call 411. It isn't even more numbers than 911.

If you think that other people should die because you cannot be bothered to press 4 instead of 9, that is your choice. I would say it is not only wrong, but arrogantly and abhorrently so.

I guess I have nothing left to say.
I don't think other should die so you can use what the ocso say you should. Calling 411 is worse because your calling the main number then they have to contact the sub station and then they send someone out to you. . So your tieing up more people then you have to.

I am talking about Disney world not what you should do at home and with your local police.


Again you know that number but what the average tourist going to do it not advertised so what you supposed to do. If it me I wait for Disney security or try the non emergency number and wait for them to send an officer when they feel like it. Or I go by what they say and call 911 if I feel like I am victim o a crime.

Here in New York City they advertise 311 you see it on taxis and other places so you know the non emergency number but a tourist will still call 911 because that the known number you have for an emergency.

What we get into arguments about whether you should call 911 or not well at least we was a little civl with each other.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by disney david; 01-08-2013 at 10:36 PM.
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #39
sea nymph
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
and their gun is on the street due to their negligence.
Unbelievable Statement!
sea nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #40
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times
 
LilGMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 5,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
Just a question when you and your Dh are driving around Florida with a loaded gun and kids where do you keep it.
The gun is in the car in an enclosed area up front near either DH or myself. The kids are buckled in the back so unless they unbuckle, climb over the seat and knock us out they aren't getting to the gun. We are also quick to tell any law enforcement (on the one time that we were pulled over for slightly - within 5mph - exceeding the posted speed limit) that there is a weapon in the car and DH does have a permit/license. When we exit the car the gun then goes on DH's body and is concealed under a shirt or pullover of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
You wouldn't call 911. You call the operator and ask for the local police. These people were not in trouble. Their GPS and Christmas gifts were stolen, and their gun is on the street due to their negligence.
**Bolding is mine** - So are you telling me, roomthreeseventeen, that you are blaming this family and calling them negligent because they had a weapon in their vehicle (which we can assume was locked after they exited their vehicle) and some criminal broke into their car? Assuming that they are responsible gun users/owners I seriously doubt that they had this gun laying on the front seat or even in plain sight so the criminal probably had to go digging through the victim's belongings to find it. How is that negligent?

So following your way of blaming the victim.... if I am driving my black car and someone hits me at night I should be called negligent because my car blends in with the night? Or if I have a computer/gaming system set up in my house that can be seen from a window and someone breaks into it I am negligent because maybe the criminal felt "taunted" by something I had that they wanted?
__________________
Many off offsite stays prior to .... First Resort stay: Coronado Spings, 2002
Since then:
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #41
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,038

I wasn't blaming the victim. I just don't think you should leave a gun in the car unattended.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #42
SarahC73
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, UK
Posts: 50

[QUOTE=SA mom;47120493]

I'm the person that not only hides the Garmin, but also tries to wipe off the circle on the wind shield left by the suction cup bracket. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

QUOTE]

I do this too! I don't leave the Garmin in the car, but you don't want people thinking you might!
SarahC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #43
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGMom
The gun is in the car in an enclosed area up front near either DH or myself. The kids are buckled in the back so unless they unbuckle, climb over the seat and knock us out they aren't getting to the gun. We are also quick to tell any law enforcement (on the one time that we were pulled over for slightly - within 5mph - exceeding the posted speed limit) that there is a weapon in the car and DH does have a permit/license. When we exit the car the gun then goes on DH's body and is concealed under a shirt or pullover of some sort.

**Bolding is mine** - So are you telling me, roomthreeseventeen, that you are blaming this family and calling them negligent because they had a weapon in their vehicle (which we can assume was locked after they exited their vehicle) and some criminal broke into their car? Assuming that they are responsible gun users/owners I seriously doubt that they had this gun laying on the front seat or even in plain sight so the criminal probably had to go digging through the victim's belongings to find it. How is that negligent?

So following your way of blaming the victim.... if I am driving my black car and someone hits me at night I should be called negligent because my car blends in with the night? Or if I have a computer/gaming system set up in my house that can be seen from a window and someone breaks into it I am negligent because maybe the criminal felt "taunted" by something I had that they wanted?
Thank you sound like responsible gun owners
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #44
wdwfreeksince88
Only An Hour From The House Of Mouse
 
wdwfreeksince88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david

Yeah but they need to get the owner ship transferred over to a living permit owner.
In the state of Florida you do not need permits to own a gun. The only permit required is a concealed weapon permit if you decide to conceal and carry.
__________________
wdwfreeksince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #45
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfreeksince88 View Post
In the state of Florida you do not need permits to own a gun. The only permit required is a concealed weapon permit if you decide to conceal and carry.
The people in question are from Mississippi, where you need your own license to own a gun.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.