Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #46
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

Mrssmith you are very brave to post that huge number! I am assuming you are not trying to be debt free in one year, best of luck if you are! If I added my mortgage to be paid off in one year, my number would be ridiculous! I see we have similar aged kiddos, they make it very hard to get out of debt! And yes the dentist bill was stuff our insurance wouldn't cover, a white filling and sealants on my younger kid's teeth, all that is due by the end of February!

danielle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #47
Shea&Van
&Waves

I'm with you folks...

Hi y'all,

You are making me feel better. I was just lamenting the fact that we just got paid and paid all the bills (on-time), but have a measly amount of $169 in our checking...YIKES! At least we are paid up till next month and luckily I get paid in a few days.

We do have a nice nest egg/emergency fund, but our trouble spot is DAYCARE!!! OMG, with three little ones there it is a whopping $600/ week. Crazy right??? Anybody feel my pain?

Would love to have a goal of being debt-free in the near future, but paying down some of our debt (credit cards and medical co-pays) is just slow and steady while the kids are in full-time child care.

Sometimes, I think one of us should just stay home until they are all in school, but then the other part of my brain says to just stick it out. The benefits and retirement are really why we both work right now. I'd like to think we will be able to retire when we both hit 65 (which is 30 years away...argh!).

Anyone have any quick tips on saving money for their Disney vacation? We generally roll our change (had over $500 last trip) and I try to buy a $25 Disney gift card each time I go to the grocery. Plus, we put in $20-50 each time one of us gets paid.

Vacationing is important to our family so we try to stretch out our funds to ensure we get to do it at least every other year.

Good luck to everyone and I look forward to hearing/sharing our stories.

Happy budgeting and planning y'all!
Disney Trips: June 1987 - WDW Off-site, July 1993 - WDW Off-site, September 2002 - DL Off-site, March 2003 - WDW Off-site, January 2010 - WDW Villas at Wilderness Lodge, September 2011 - WDW All Star Sports and Windsor Hills
Just Wrapped Up: Nov/Dec 2013 - WDW Buena Vista Suites (one night) and Private Villa at the Emerald Island Resort (eight nights)

Shea&Van is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #48
tavettava
DIS Veteran

Next week we pay off our condo. Dh has to work out of town and it was cheaper for us to buy a condo than for him to drive home every night or stay in a hotel (plus its far enough away its like taking a mini vacation when I drive the kids up there.). We are working on the house now. We don't have much cc debt, but have decided to have none by the end of the year.
April-May 2009 AKL Villa DVC
November 2009 Caribbean Beach Resort

Dh Me Dd ds

tavettava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #49
Poohbug
Sherlocked

I am in to dump the debt.

My husband finally has a decent job after four years of unemployment and partial employment with dismal pay. Still not making as much as four years ago but getting close.

In the past four years we have racked up some debt. We did pay off our car loans last year so the credit cards are getting the attention this year. I am horrified how much interest we are paying on these cards each month-they must go.

Also must look into refinancing the mortgage. We have not been able to refi because we did not have the income. We could knock off at least 3 points and maybe a few years and still come out ahead.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #50
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMother View Post
Have you considered a laundromat or taking your laundry to a friend or relative's house until you can save up for a new dryer? I would much rather do that than take out another line of credit, especially if the cards you already have are maxed out. Might not be ideal but it will save you those interest payments!
Thanks for the input. Sadly we have no family that live near us. Most of my friends work all day and I feel bad using there machines for my family of five. I was going two towns over to the laundry mat ( I live in a town with more cows than people so we do not have any businesses, nit even a grocer ). Lowes just happens to be next door to the laundry mat and after doing some loads I walked over. I was able to get a nice higher end model for no interest for 48. I will pay it off with the tax return and buy the washer too because I am afraid that mine will go out soon.
FYI for anyone who has not been to a laundry mat in a while..the prices are high ( or at least to me they are). I washed at home to save the $2 a load to wash but to fry at my place it was $.25 for 8 minutes and for a medium load it took about $1. Not bad at first, but over a month for a family of five it started to add up.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #51
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Made some progress today!!
DH got the first round of expenses in. I was able to pay the oil bill, pay 1/2 of the remainder for the kids tuition, the car taxes and 1/2 of the first CC bill I want to pay off. I had enough to pay the whole thing off but I opted to put some away in savings (drained the emergency fund), and some will go to new shoes for everyone, that will probably push $200 at least. And uniform pants for the boys.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #52
mrssmith06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79 View Post
Mrssmith you are very brave to post that huge number! I am assuming you are not trying to be debt free in one year, best of luck if you are! If I added my mortgage to be paid off in one year, my number would be ridiculous! I see we have similar aged kiddos, they make it very hard to get out of debt! And yes the dentist bill was stuff our insurance wouldn't cover, a white filling and sealants on my younger kid's teeth, all that is due by the end of February!
Yeah well that is with my mortgage included. Without it included, we could pay off all of our debt, including our 2 cars, with less than $5,000 a month. Even that is pretty impossible though, LOL... Of course, I am just hoping to get our credit cards and loans paid off this year!!! And even that will be hard!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #53
2manypets
DIS Veteran

Here's a worksheet, I've been using for awhile now. It allows you to see how an extra payment will effect your payments and can give difference scenarios. Whether you want to avalache your debt (Pay off highest int first) snowball (lowest due to highest) or you can choose to pay it off in your own order.

http://www.vertex42.com/Calculators/...alculator.html
Old 01-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #54
fun4me
Mouseketeer

We are in too. We have 2 cc to pay off and one car loan. The car loan will be paid off in about 18 months so I really want to work on the cc before I tackle the car payment. One CC isn't too bad and hopefully we can have it paid off by March. If not we can pay it off with our tax refund, if we get one.

So far we switched ISP providers and that save about $30. We may end up switching our home phone too.

I keep saying I am going to cancel Dishnetwork(~$90). It has more than doubled since we signed on a few years ago. Our Roku and Bluray just broke too so we would at least have to buy a new roku. I really like having a dvr. So I am considering getting a tivo to record OTA channels. I just don't want to shell out $15 per month for it.

I'm considering canceling our lawn service($66) and just have weeds for the next year. We have tried, in the past, to do this ourselves but DH just managed to turn the lawn yellow and still have weeds. Plus it seems like we spend a lot of money to have a yellow lawn...the chemical or whatever are expensive. So I'm not sure about this.

In April I should be bringing in a little extra cash since I will be babysitting my new niece. All of that will be thrown at the CCs too. So I know it is totally doable to get the CC paid off this year and maybe even the car loan.
fun4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #55
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

Yeah for everybody jumping in head first to tackle their debt! I think we could really encourage each other here, whether your goal is to be out of debt at the end of 2013, 2014 or 2020!When i look at some of the interest on the credit cards, it makes me sad. I have been getting a bunch of 0% offers so I may have to take advantage of that, paying the balance transfer fee more than pays for itself in the long run, the last time I transferred it saved me $70 in interest a month and only cost me a one time $90 balance transfer fee. Happy Debt Dumping!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #56
bababear_50
Does amazing things with teeth and string!
Song writer extraordiaire

Well this week started off well-I got an offer and accepted (sold small DVC AK contract) .The money will go to pay off small debt.
,BUT I need some well wishes and prayers that my cottage sells within the next 4 months.
Without going into detail the person I own with (family member) (shortly after buying the cottage) has developed major health issues and can not work. The worry this is causing me is so bad I can't sleep. We just lowered the asking price by 10,000 and even if I don't make any profit I will be so glad to be out of this. Prayers and pixie dust needed.
Hugs Mel

Last edited by bababear_50; 01-12-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: sp
bababear_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #57
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79
Wow Suzanne, I hope my van lasts another 50,000 miles with no major repairs but one can never tell. Plus we drive when we go to Disney and I won't feel safe driving that down there in another year. Funny story, today I sprayed the salt off my van at the car wash and the rear wiper decides it is going to start working 2 years after it stopped working! She is a great van and I wish she would last forever.
Riley I totally get it, kids and Christmas mess up my budget constantly! My hubby constantly asks me why we have no extra $ or can't afford things our friends with no kids have? Ummm they have no kids!
We drive down, too, it's about 400 miles one way for us and we go several times a year. My mom bought it with something like 84,000 mikes on it. I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere in it. There was a time I wouldn't have, but this van has been so great, I don't hesitate at all.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #58
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

Im in dump it! We started by downsizing from 3000 sq ft house with way more space than needed to a 2 bd 2 bt condo. We used Daves snowball as well. We now have no cc, no auto loans, no extra loans just the condo mortage which we managed to buy on contract with the seller not even checking credit! We have $4000 in cash in our emergency fund. We love Disney its our one luxury and usually go at least 2 times a year. This year we are only going once as this is the first year of our 2 year plan to pay off our condo. We are determined to do this! I am so encouraged by everyone here...yes I read EVERY post! It can be done and just think how awesome it will feel to do the debt free dance. I will pray for all on this thread.
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #59
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazi View Post
Im in dump it! We started by downsizing from 3000 sq ft house with way more space than needed to a 2 bd 2 bt condo. We used Daves snowball as well. We now have no cc, no auto loans, no extra loans just the condo mortage which we managed to buy on contract with the seller not even checking credit! We have $4000 in cash in our emergency fund. We love Disney its our one luxury and usually go at least 2 times a year. This year we are only going once as this is the first year of our 2 year plan to pay off our condo. We are determined to do this! I am so encouraged by everyone here...yes I read EVERY post! It can be done and just think how awesome it will feel to do the debt free dance. I will pray for all on this thread.
Thanks for the prayers and encouragement! I will definately be doing the debt free dance when my debt dumping is done, if I have to wait for the mortgage to be paid off, well then I won't be doing a lot of dancing anytime soon! So I am going to dance every month that I am on track to getting rid of all the other debt. Maybe some fireworks after each credit card, payment is done!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #60
lllovell
Are you achin'...yup yup yup...for some bacon...yup yup yup...You can be a big pig too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez1895 View Post
Curse you Murphy ( anyone doing Dave Ramsay knows who I'll taking about). My dryer died. The cost to fix it is more than it is worth so we now have to get a new dryer. Oh and of course of cards are maxed out and we have to open a new card to buy it, but life goes on. Just another thing to throw into the snowball I guess. I do not have the emergency fund yet like Dave suggest so this is a complete hit to our budget.
Check in your area and see if there are any used appliance stores. When our dryer died last time, we bought one there for $100. That was 4 years ago and still going strong. Good luck.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: