Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Debt Dumpers - 2013

Hi Everyone, DH and I are focusing on dumping debt this year. We have a little CC debt, and student loans. We practiced living on a budget last year so we have fine tuned it for this year and are ready to go. We have a couple if variables - a new baby coming, and one new student loan to start paying, so we will have to adjust our budget once we know those costs. I want to start a thread where we support each other on passing up those unnecessary expenses to focus on the long term goal. Who is with me?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

I would love to join you. We are very much in debt ( mostly medical and attorney fees that I either put on credit cards or took out loans for....lesson learned). We are making all of our payments very comfortably, but it would be nice to have all the cash we are spending on interest going to our saving account instead of the credit card company. We have a disney trip planned for this year that we are paying cash for. Yes that money could have gone to bills, but we needed a break from all the doctors.
Thanks for starting the thread and letting me vent some!!!
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Welcome! We have no trips planned, which is sad. But I think about how great it will feel when we take our child for the first time and don't have to feel guilty that we could have used the money to pay down debt! But in your case, it does sound like the trip is needed. Use it to get refreshed and attack that debt like crazy!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
mrssmith06
DIS Veteran

I am with you!! We have a good bit of debt to get paid off this year!! We are hoping to be able to take our next trip next year...we'll see....

Our main goals:
  • 4 credit cards (2 are maxed!)
  • DD's Furniture (just paid off her bed, still owe on her dresser!)
  • Taxes, loans, etc from my business that closed last year.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

We are attacking the debt this year too.
I used Gail Vazoxlade's own up to your debt spreadsheet to figure out how to pay each card off.

http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/resourc...worksheet.html

I put everything on there, including the house and the cars.
It breaks it down with the total and interest and it tells you what you need to pay to get the debt paid off in 12, 24, and 36 months.
I also put everything on that list to pay off in order. Like CC #1 gets paid off first because it has the smallest balance and the highest interest rate.

We are also going to refinance the house when DH's expense check comes in. We can save $400 a month when we switch from the big bank mortgage company to our local credit union.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
I used Gail Vazoxlade's own up to your debt spreadsheet to figure out how to pay each card off.

It breaks it down with the total and interest and it tells you what you need to pay to get the debt paid off in 12, 24, and 36 months.
I also put everything on that list to pay off in order. Like CC #1 gets paid off first because it has the smallest balance and the highest interest rate.

We are also going to refinance the house when DH's expense check comes in. We can save $400 a month when we switch from the big bank mortgage company to our local credit union.
Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
mebbradley
Patiently waiting for the next trip to Disney!

Our goal is to pay off our three smaller credit cards by the end of the year! We have about 2,300 or less to go.

We are buying our first house in a few weeks and have student loan/car debt that we want to try and knock as much as we can away from.

Gah never mind. Looks like a decent chunk of this is now going towards our wedding

Last edited by mebbradley; 01-07-2013 at 07:25 PM.
mebbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

We are using the Dave Ramsey snowball technique - paying off the littlest first, rolling what we were paying into that one up to the next biggest, and so on.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

We are also doing Dave's snowball. So far I am starting to see a dent and I have only been committed for a few months. When we get our tax return I am going to put some of that toward the credit cards and that shouls help out some.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
ohiopugmom
Earning My Ears

good luck everyone! My goal is to pay off our van this year! we have about 9k left....

we use cc, but pay off every month. It is going to be tight this month....kind of overspent with the holidays....
Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post

I entered my info but its not doing anything. Is anyone else having trouble with it?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
treeface
Mouseketeer

We were working on Dave's snowball until DH lost his job in September and our income was cut way down. It took 12 weeks before unemployment kicked in so our snowball is on hold while we just pay living expenses. Still hoping to dump the debt as my car is paid in March and DH's in August so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. At that time, if he still isn't working, I can get back to the snowball.

1972 Offsite 1978 Offsite, 1985 Buena Vista Palace 1992 Offsite, 1994 Travelodge (Disney Village)
1996 POFQ 1997 CBR 2002 WL 2003 AKL 2006 POFQ/AKL 2006 WL Concierge MVMCP
2007 SSR 2007 OKW, 2008 ASM & OKW, 2009 Pop & SSR, 2009 BCV
treeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
HouseMother
Earning My Ears

I think that's a great idea. We are debt free except for our mortgage and my CC which has about a $350 balance. DH lost his job last June and went back to work in November at a better paying job, but thankfully we were able to make it through his unemployment without going into debt. The CC balance is from a few tanks of gas and groceries between paychecks while DH was unemployed. We are closing on our refinance tomorrow and will skip February's payment, so I can pay off the balance then. I am the biggest debt free cheerleader in the world so I will gladly encourage everyone on their quest to crush debt!
HouseMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
sskem96
DIS Veteran

We are using the snowball technique also. No "real" vacation this year, but we may go camping with extended family in August. Cruising (on DVC points) next January, so I currently have $50/pp going into a savings acct. to cover airfare and misc expenses for that trip.

I was supposed to pay off my Kohl's card with last week's paycheck, but we got slammed with a $900 car repair bill, so I'm already behind. I'm using the cash that was supposed to pay the cc off plus all of my and DH's Christmas money and about $350 from the emergency fund to pay for the car repairs. I'm supposed to pay $200 towards my Sam's Club card next payday, so I'm hoping my check is enough to pay off Kohl's and still send Sam's $200 since it will have a little overtime on it.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
bored
Mouseketeer

We dumped debt in 2012. I have a potential job loss coming up in the first quarter of 2013, so we sold the toys (jet skis and atv) and our third vehicle. I hated to see my toys go but we're down to mortgage payment only and it will make surviving the job loss if it happens a little easier.
bored is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: